NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-16-2013, 11:26 AM
Steve Birmingham

Default An interesting trio of magie/magee

If you don't like complicated T206 stuff, click yur back button now.

I've been occasionally looking for pics of certain T206s, trying to get a handle on a few theories I have. Focusing on the less common cards seemed like a good way to begin since some would have been on only one sheet and it's possible to identify different individual cards even from the same pose.

One I've looked at is magie. There are minor differences that can be found, both front and back. This pair is very interesting (To me, maybe not to anyone else) Neither card, nor the following card is mine.

One Magie, the other Magee. The backs show the identical gaps in the top line, so it's almost certian the two cards are from the same position on the sheet, one before repair, the other after. They both have the identical gap over the NA of nat'l, and the same black registration marks at the halfway points of the right, left and top. The corrected one obviously has had the brown plate changed to correct the name, and the blue plate as well since there's a large blue registration mark at the right.

Simple so far, Magie got corrected, and partly redone. I'm not sure why they'd redo the blue plate, but they did. (maybe others too, but the scans aren't good enough to be sure)

Then there's this card.

It has the same registration marks, the same gap above nat'l, and the same cutoff bottom of the Ma in his name. But not the same plate for the back.

So it's reasonably clear the back plate was replaced at some point after the correction, but before they stopped and changed to the 350 series.

Steve B
Old 05-16-2013, 11:43 AM
Nobody
Adri@n Mullig@n

Super nice looking PSA 4!!!!

Post # 5
Old 05-16-2013, 11:45 AM
J0n Fu.ld

Interesting.
They may have used a number of backplates interchangeably with the front sheets.
Or maybe there was only one backplate for all the front sheets and the backplate broke.
Or the backplate for this particular frontsheet broke, or was corrected/altered.
Lot to think about!
Old 05-16-2013, 11:47 AM
Paul

My Piedmont 150 Magee (corrected) does not have the extra blue on the right hand side mark. (I can't see the back right now, but here's the front)

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 05-16-2013, 11:49 AM
Craig M

Nice Steve!

Attached scans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0006.jpg (67.0 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0007.jpg (71.2 KB, 136 views)

Last edited by Craig M; 05-16-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:12 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
My Piedmont 150 Magee (corrected) does not have the extra blue on the right hand side mark. (I can't see the back right now, but here's the front)

Thanks.

Not all of the Magees will have the blue mark, just ones from that spot on the sheet. I'm working on my assortment of scans to make a list of the identifiable ones. Yours is a nice distinctive one with the huge gap in the bottom frame on the front.

Steve B
Old 05-16-2013, 12:16 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig M View Post
Nice Steve,

I would say that one of my PD150 MAGEE cards late in Print Group 1 was what the cleaned up version looked like. (Front) solid border all around of course not including the years of wear and tear. Attached scans.

Craig
Thanks Craig. That's one of the other different positions, and maybe a harder one to ID since it doesn't really have much in the way of registration marks. Hopefully there's only one position without them. Knowing T206 though that won't be how it is......

Steve B