NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-31-2017, 08:51 AM

Default 365 Days of Roberto Clemente

As a player collector, I have enjoyed seeing threads devoted to one person's passion for collecting a particular player, such as David W's Lou Brock collection. It surprises me that we don't see more threads like this, so I thought I'd start one on my favorite post-war player to collect.

Why Roberto? When I started collecting in the mid 1970s, I traded cards with other kids at school during recess. I remember a classmate bragging that he had a Roberto Clemente card, but I had no idea who he was. When my Dad came home from work that day, I asked him if Roberto was a good player. I remember him telling me how he was a great all-around player and that he died in a tragic plane crash. I tried several times to trade for that Clemente, but I was never able to pry it out of my classmate's hands. A few years later, at my first card show, my Dad bought me my first Clemente card (1968 Topps) along with a Mantle and Mays from the same year.

I didn't start seriously collecting RC until the early 90's. In the beginning I wasn't too concerned with condition and for the most part I'm still not. So you won't see any PSA 9's, but hopefully over the course of the next year you'll see some items that you haven't seen before. I will post things randomly to mix it up a bit and, for the most part, post items from his playing days, although there will be some newer items I like. Hope you enjoy.

Day 1

To start things off, on my birthday this year, my oldest daughter asked my neighbor (an amateur painter) to create this painting for me. I wanted to pick a symbolic photo of him so I picked Roberto tipping his cap after his 3,00th hit. I think the result is incredible especially since my neighbor said she doesn't really paint in detail. It's water color on artist's paper using only 4 pigments.

Last edited by docpatlv; 12-31-2017 at 12:41 PM.