NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-07-2018, 09:44 PM
Doug Goodman

Default 1,364 different m113 & m114 Baseball Magazine supplements

I'm finally getting a chance to go thru my supplements. In case anybody cares, I now have 957 different m113 and m114 supplements in my collection, here are most of them :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/douggo...57692457124881

Always looking for more...

Doug

Last edited by doug.goodman; 07-26-2023 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:00 PM

So Doug, I guess that monsterous scorecard collection wasn’t enough for you?

Rob M
Old 03-07-2018, 10:34 PM
Doug Goodman

Ha! I still need to scan lots of those, too.

I just added the m113 supplements, and the 1957 posters, and a couple others.

957 different, now.

7 left to scan.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
I'm finally getting a chance to go thru my supplements. In case anybody cares, here are 957 different m113 and m114 supplements that I have in my collection.

Always looking for more...

Doug
Truly an epic collection, Doug! Wow!!
Old 03-09-2018, 04:57 AM
Paul Herbener

Great stuff Doug!! That WaJo arm and 1915 Matty are two of my favorites!
Old 03-09-2018, 12:21 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pherbener View Post
Great stuff Doug!! That WaJo arm and 1915 Matty are two of my favorites!
That arm might be my favorite, too.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:47 PM
Jonathan Sterling

A very long time ago I picked up a hard coverd ledger that was used as a scrapbook. Inside was filied with baseball magazine photos taken from the inside covers. Period was mid 1930's full of classic Conlan images. Many of these same pictures were used for the premiums. I have always liked the large format premiums and have a Lajoie framed on my wall. Congrats on a great collection.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:20 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
A very long time ago I picked up a hard coverd ledger that was used as a scrapbook. Inside was filied with baseball magazine photos taken from the inside covers. Period was mid 1930's full of classic Conlan images. Many of these same pictures were used for the premiums. I have always liked the large format premiums and have a Lajoie framed on my wall. Congrats on a great collection.
Thank you.

There is another thread titled "Hobby terms that annoy you" on net54, one of the things that annoys me the most, although it doesn't really fit in that thread, is people who sell the inside cover pictures as "supplements".

But what can you do?

Received 4 new ones in the mail today, so up to 961 (which is really 968 once I get 7 more scans done).

Doug
Old 03-10-2018, 06:58 AM
octavio ranzola

Wow Doug amazing
Old 10-24-2019, 03:14 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

This is just AMAZING!!! Doug, I had just written an article for the SABR blog connecting the horrid 1943 MP & Company cartoon images to their M114 photo sources. I originally had to leave my article incomplete since I couldn't find a Lou Novikoff M114 anywhere online. On a tip I found your site and of course the Novikoff.

Full article is here in case you're curious: https://sabrbaseballcards.blog/2019/...ery-79-solved/

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 10-24-2019, 06:08 AM
Mike Dugan

Doug those are amazing. Do you have your scorecards where they can be viewed.

Congratulations on a fantastic collection!
Old 10-24-2019, 01:07 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers View Post
Doug those are amazing. Do you have your scorecards where they can be viewed.

Congratulations on a fantastic collection!
Thank you Mike & Jason.

Much of my "stuff" is on my flickr site / page / account, or whatever you kidz would call it.

Doug

Last edited by doug.goodman; 10-24-2019 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-28-2019, 02:10 PM
Mike Dugan

Doug I have been lost in your photos for several days now, thanks for sharing!
Old 10-28-2019, 07:59 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers View Post
Doug I have been lost in your photos for several days now, thanks for sharing!
Thank you, and you are welcome. I have a few more I need to post that I have recently picked up.

Among them is my newest Speaker M113, the one that isn't trimmed on the top and bottom. The scans make it look like the picture is a different size, which it isn't. Note that the printing under the pictures are different.

Doug
Old 10-28-2019, 10:20 PM
M@rk Lu7z

Default cool!

Wonderful collection. Really great. Stilll, Police Gazette Rules!

Last edited by Mark; 10-28-2019 at 10:21 PM.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:51 AM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Wonderful collection. Really great. Stilll, Police Gazette Rules!
I have 96 of the 113 Police Gazette supplements...
Old 10-29-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
LOL Bam, there's that too...
Old 10-30-2019, 09:49 AM
M@rk Lu7z

Default not surprised!

Quote:
Everyone with a collection that this one should show them off now and then.
It's a public service.
Old 10-30-2019, 05:03 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Insane collection, very impressive Doug!
Old 10-31-2019, 05:27 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Everyone with a collection that this one should show them off now and then.
It's a public service.
As with any collection, the longer you look for new additions, the less frequently you find them, and the more complicated they get to acquire.

There is one on ebay right now that I need, but it's part of a large-ish group that the seller won't breakup and his price is easily double their value. Oh well, I'll keep watching... If any of you buy that group of 30 with the Gehrig, there are 5 that I would like to buy / trade from you.

I did manage to add a new m113 this last week of "Bullet" Joe Bush, note the different print fonts, showing that Bush was printed two different times.

Doug

PS - as a public service (insert smiley face here) you can see my Police Gazette supplements / pages / covers at :
https://www.flickr.com/photos/douggo...57612083822426

Last edited by doug.goodman; 10-31-2019 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:48 AM
Michael

Very, very impressive Doug. Although I am a little miffed/thrilled/frustrated/happy/discouraged/excited to see that there are two Mantles and two Yankee team pictures with Mantle. I have one of each and now must look for the other two. Thanks!??!!??

In regards to the Police Gazette, the attached is the only one I have. Do you know if they issued any with a full page photo of Mantle inside? The one I have has a full page photo of the "Date of the Month" and a boxer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mantle 1956 Police Gazette.jpg (74.8 KB, 1636 views)
Old 11-01-2019, 05:19 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinMike View Post
Although I am a little miffed/thrilled/frustrated/happy/discouraged/excited to see that there are two Mantles and two Yankee team pictures with Mantle. I have one of each and now must look for the other two.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there are three different Mantles...

And, if you want to get really nit-picky, the #6 pose has versions with the picture higher and lower on the page. But that might just be me being stupid.

Doug
Old 11-02-2019, 08:50 AM
Michael

Quote:
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there are three different Mantles...
Thanks. I missed the last one somehow. Looks like I have to add another item on my list of things to look for.

Quote:
And, if you want to get really nit-picky, the #6 pose has versions with the picture higher and lower on the page.
On the last page I think is where you had a second "6" pose. I couldn't tell the difference between that and the first one. So, the difference is the location of the picture on the page? That is an easy fix, just "conserve" the tops and bottoms as needed to make them the same.

Quote:
But that might just be me being stupid.
Unfortunately, I think we went to the same school and had the same lessons. Another item to add to my list.

Thanks again for the info!!
Old 11-20-2019, 07:41 PM
Mike

Love that Walter Johnson Supplement. It states he throws the ball 122ft/sec. That equals only 83 mph. He must have throw it harder than that or he would be considered "slow " today.
Old 11-21-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
Love that Walter Johnson Supplement. It states he throws the ball 122ft/sec. That equals only 83 mph. He must have throw it harder than that or he would be considered "slow " today.
OT, but you can imagine that the methods used to measure Walter Johnson's fastball were shaky at best. WaJo likely threw in the mid-high 90's from all accounts.
WaJo himself commented that Smoky Joe Wood threw faster at his peak.
Amos Rusie "The Hoosier Thunderbolt" likely was extremely fast as well based on all accounts.

FYI, fastball measurement didn't really get sophisticated until the 1970's when the aerospace industry used radar to gain more accurate measurement.

In 1974, aerospace industry leader Rockwell Intl. used their accurate radar equipment to measure Nolan Ryan's fastball. Measurement of speed was calculated as the ball passed the plate, not out in front of the mound like today's measurement. For the record, Nolan Ryan's fastball was clocked at 100.9 MPH which is still the record in the Guinness Book of Sports Records.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 11-21-2019 at 06:48 AM.
Old 11-23-2019, 04:42 PM
Al@n Kle!nberger

Doug:

Sorry to be joining the conversation late. As always, your collection is eye-popping. And I still insist that your collecting the minor typographical variations is nuts. But in a good way. But really, nobody on the planet has a basic set of M114. And you're shooting for a MASTER set?

I haven't picked up anything new in some time. A combination of laziness and tight finances. But there's always tomorrow...

And if anyone has any inside information about the set that they'd like to share, you have my blessing to revive a thread I started a couple of years ago. I'm still looking for someone who has new additions to the woefully incomplete checklist provided by the SCD Master Catalogue.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:09 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by akleinb611 View Post
Doug:

And if anyone has any inside information about the set that they'd like to share, you have my blessing to revive a thread I started a couple of years ago. I'm still looking for someone who has new additions to the woefully incomplete checklist provided by the SCD Master Catalogue.
Hi Alan -

A pleasure to hear from you, and perfect timing :

The catalog has one listing for Joseph Moore, but today I received a second version, and it's not a goofy font variation that nobody really cares about but me, it's a completely different picture.

There's a bit of a story behind it, to be filed under "good things come to those who wait" or possibly "don't stress, there is always going to be another one".

There is a seller on ebay who has a group of 30 m114s that he has had listed for months. There were 5 in the grouping that I am interested in, and I have made him multiple offers starting with fair, and later better than fair, but he doesn't want to split up the group. The Moore "portrait version" is in the group, and I had never seen it before, so I has understandably anxious to acquire it, but not by purchasing the entire (highly) overpriced group.

Then, another one popped up a week or so ago, I made a fair offer and now I have added it to my collection.

With 13 others I have picked up recently, this one puts me at 1,052 different m113 / m114 issues.

Doug "hey collectibles_1, I still want 4 from your group of 30" Goodman

Last edited by doug.goodman; 11-27-2019 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-30-2019, 04:15 PM
Al@n Kle!nberger

Very interesting about the Joe Moore variation. The checklist I use (which is not based on the SCD Catalogue checklist, but rather on a much older list that ran in Baseball Card News in the 80's) shows two entries for Joe Moore, for 1936 and 1954. I have the swinging bat version and it makes perfect sense for 1936, as many of the other posters released that year use a similar pose (Baseball Magazine often released their posters with the same or similar type of pose in a given year). 1954 for the second pose makes absolutely no sense, as Moore was out of the majors by the start of WWII. That second pose is one I may have seen here and there, but I didn't pick it up because I may have believed that I already had it. It very much resembles the poses used for Luke Appling and Mel Ott in their only M114 entries. Both of those date from the mid 30's as well.

Hard to say why Baseball Magazine would have replaced the one pose with the other, especially since both poses clearly date from within a few years of one another. No team change, as Moore spent his entire career with the Giants.

So, the 1954 entry for Moore is clearly a mistake. A typo for 1934, perhaps? All in all, just another illustration of how so much of this set makes little sense, and also of how little we really know about it.

Alan
Old 12-07-2019, 12:17 PM
Al@n Kle!nberger

Further on Mr. Moore - on the VERY DAY I read Doug's account of the Moore variation, I was (naturally) motivated to search through Ebay for M114's - something I hadn't taken the time to do in some time. Wouldn't you know it - someone else had the Moore variation for sale, as well as three others that I needed! The price was a bit high, but after trading offers and counteroffers, I got the lot for a somewhat reasonable price.

I guess it shows that you should NEVER give up the search. And I guess it means, as we approach this year's holiday season, the true message of wisdom and life philosophy is - we should really, really spend MORE time on Ebay!

I guess I'm not much of a philosopher...

Alan
Old 12-14-2019, 12:37 PM
Doug Goodman

Congrats to whoever just sniped me on the Newcombe portrait variation. I thought I had put in a crazy high bid with 8 seconds remaining, and you beat me fair and square.

Doug

Last edited by doug.goodman; 01-20-2020 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-14-2019, 03:32 PM

Very impressive display; I enjoyed flipping through the pages!
Old 01-20-2020, 05:42 PM
Doug Goodman

A couple of completely new ones from ebay...

I'm now up to 1,087 different supplements.

Doug
Old 01-20-2020, 06:04 PM

Man those can get addictive! My two favorites are the Rip Collins and Bob Feller with Yankee Stadium in the back round. That's the same pose of the 48 Bowman and that's my favorite Feller card. Have the Feller signed and looking for a Rip Collins signed.
Sent some out to get autographed thru the years but being oversized was somewhat of a problem.
Thanks for the posting.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:30 PM

Incredible
Old 04-24-2020, 07:26 PM
Doug Goodman

Got a completely new one today, thank you ebay.

Buhl now joins Joe Adcock as the only ones with the weird "cut and paste" when doing that involved actual glue.

This one is #1,101
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BBM-Buhl Robert-New York-none-none-throw small.jpg (70.7 KB, 1186 views)
Old 04-25-2020, 06:50 PM
Doug Goodman

#1,102 showed up today. It's a variation of one that I already have, but it's still a pretty good one.

Doug
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m113-Wagner Honus Hans.jpg (76.4 KB, 1158 views)
File Type: jpg BBM-Wagner Hans-None-None-None-bat-1910-LARGEsmall.jpg (64.2 KB, 1149 views)
Old 05-10-2020, 04:19 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Doug I saw that you ised Itoya portfolios to store / display your large format items. Last werkI I ordered 3 of different sizes 18x24, 14x17 , 8.5 x11 and I am very happy with them, and will order more this week. The largest is great for storing old Rock posters that have been rooled up in tubes in my closet for 40 years. ( damm I am getting old) the middle size holds a wide variety of items and will most likely be what I use most. The smaller is great for older scorecards. So just a shout out of thanks for the heads up.
J
Old 05-10-2020, 06:19 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
Doug I saw that you ised Itoya portfolios to store / display your large format items. Last werkI I ordered 3 of different sizes 18x24, 14x17 , 8.5 x11 and I am very happy with them, and will order more this week. The largest is great for storing old Rock posters that have been rooled up in tubes in my closet for 40 years. ( damm I am getting old) the middle size holds a wide variety of items and will most likely be what I use most. The smaller is great for older scorecards. So just a shout out of thanks for the heads up.
J
You're welcome.
Old 05-16-2020, 05:53 PM
Doug Goodman

Default #1,108

Thank you ebay for sending me #1,108.

I already had this picture of Ruth batting for the Red Sox, but the first one credited the photo to International Newsreel, the one that arrived today credits C.M. Conlon.

The search continues,
Doug
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m114-Ruth (2) Babe-New York-NY-Conlon-batting Red Sox small.jpg (74.2 KB, 1083 views)
File Type: jpg m114-Ruth - 2 different.jpg (79.7 KB, 1082 views)

Last edited by doug.goodman; 05-16-2020 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:28 AM

Default Inspired to look for variations!

I was inspired by this thread to look for differences in the M113/M114 posters that I collect. Sure enough, I found a "NY" vs. "New York" variation on the 1948 Cleveland Indians Team Poster. I'm sure this variation was already known to others, but I was unaware. I had the "NY" version and picked up the "New York" version this month. Now I'm looking for more!
Old 05-30-2020, 03:34 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLange View Post
I was inspired by this thread to look for differences in the M113/M114 posters that I collect. Sure enough, I found a "NY" vs. "New York" variation on the 1948 Cleveland Indians Team Poster. I'm sure this variation was already known to others, but I was unaware. I had the "NY" version and picked up the "New York" version this month. Now I'm looking for more!
And now I have added the NY version to my want list. which remains at 31 m113s and 58 m114s because today I received #1,121 courtesy of ebay, and it's a completely new one...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m114-Fox Nelson-DC-None-none-batting2.jpg (67.8 KB, 1062 views)

Last edited by doug.goodman; 05-30-2020 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:11 PM
Doug Goodman

For those of you who care, I just posted details of the nearly 250 players who I have multiple printing variations for in the m113 & m114 set(s) :
https://www.flickr.com/photos/douggo...57714517102288

Also, here is the vast majority of my partial "set" :

If anybody knows of other issued supplements, or variations, I would be interested in obtaining them from you, but even if you have no interest in selling / trading / giving me the ones you have, I would still be very interested in getting a good quality scan.

Doug
Old 07-01-2020, 07:26 PM
Doug Goodman

Default m113 / m114 updates

I just finished sorting and scanning the 1,149 different m113 & m114 issues that I own.

They are posted on flickr :

I also created closeup views of the 250, or so, that have print variations :
https://www.flickr.com/photos/douggo...57714517102288

The catalog of known (by myself and Alan Kleinberger) m113 & m114 supplements now totals 1,237.

Doug
Old 07-04-2020, 07:54 AM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

Congrats on the new addition Doug! One more down....on to the next one.

Still find it interesting with all the different fonts/bold/semi bold variation. Thanks for sharing the close ups!
Old 07-06-2020, 10:34 PM
Doug Goodman

Thank you Gary.

I added #1,152 today.

A new Rube Marquard.

An m113, which is always nice, especially with a new picture, and the caption is completely different.

Last edited by doug.goodman; 07-11-2020 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Because I originally said it was the same picture, but it isn't.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:25 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

Doug,
Out of curiosity, when you are looking at new offerings of supplements for sale, what percentage would you guess are already represented in your accumulation / known catalog vs. those that are previously-unknown variations? Seems like the new additions are slowing, but still coming up somewhat regularly. I'm just hoping that the slowdown is a result of the catalog filling out rather than your enthusiasm waning!
Old 07-07-2020, 10:43 AM
Rob G.

Awesome endeavor, great stuff Doug!
Old 07-11-2020, 06:39 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
Doug,
Out of curiosity, when you are looking at new offerings of supplements for sale, what percentage would you guess are already represented in your accumulation / known catalog vs. those that are previously-unknown variations? Seems like the new additions are slowing, but still coming up somewhat regularly. I'm just hoping that the slowdown is a result of the catalog filling out rather than your enthusiasm waning!
More than 98% for sure, maybe even more than 99%.

My enthusiasm certainly hasn't waned, but the availability of "new" ones has.

Doug
Old 07-15-2020, 04:28 PM
Doug Goodman

Default A woman on an m114

I discovered an interesting bit of trivia today, while listing some of my duplicate m114s on ebay.

The 1929 National League Champion Chicago Cubs have a woman in their team picture. Sitting between team president Bill Veeck and owner William Wrigley Jr is "Miss Donohue (secretary)".

She's the only woman in any of the team pictures that I own, so there is a chance that she's the only woman on a Baseball Magazine supplement...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lot 05 - Team small.jpg (73.9 KB, 915 views)
File Type: jpg Lot 05 - Team-2.jpg (60.7 KB, 916 views)
File Type: jpg Lot 05 - Team-3 small.JPG (9.4 KB, 917 views)
Old 07-17-2020, 07:52 PM
Doug Goodman

Default #1,156 - Stan Musial

I got a new Stan Musial today, the photo isn't new, but two different credits for that photo is.