NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-15-2013, 03:27 AM
Bill Gregory

Default Thanks a lot, guys. Now I'm in love with "the monster".

*Warning, loquacious post ahead. *

Since coming back to the hobby about three years ago, I've been pretty content dealing in modern cards (specifically Bowman Chrome prospect autos). As a select few of you already know, I'm very, very passionate about baseball. I live and breathe the game 365 days a year. And a big part of that is seeing players being drafted, starting off in rookie ball, and working their way through the minors up to the Major Leagues. Whenever I get a new Baseball America in the mail, I feel downright giddy, because I can read about the stars of tomorrow. I can cheer them on and, in a way, live vicariously through them. When I go to the restroom, I take my new BBA with me, and no matter how long "the battle", I have something to hold my interest the entire time. I'll read one of those suckers end to end. Now I'm finding some of the guys I first read about three years ago have made their way to the Majors. Guys I knew would be stars. Their cards sit safely tucked away in magnet cases and graded card bags, away from the sunlight. Every time I see Bryce Harper, or Mike Trout hit a bomb, I can't help but smile. My research not only helps me to enjoy the game, and find players before everybody else in my fantasy league, it gives me an edge with my collection. It's always better to buy a card for $20 than for $200 a year later, ins't it?

But since coming back to the hobby I loved as a child, a little voice has been whispering to me:

"What about the greats of the game?"

My love of baseball started at a very early age. I was born with a bone condition called osteogenesis imperfecta. Luckily, I had the mildest form, so while I spent a lot of time in the hospital, I was a relatively healthy kid growing up. I just had a lot of casts in my day. Thanks to my wonderful family, and some incredible doctors, I grew up straight and true. And while I played baseball as a child, and until my late teens, I knew I could never pursue a career as a baseball player. I could knock the hell out of a baseball, but the likelihood of any kind of collision, and the resulting injury, kept me from playing the game I loved.

When I'd lie in bed with a cast on my leg, or wait in a doctor's office, I'd have a book about baseball with me. I spent hour after hour reading about the greatest players in the game's history. Nobody else my age knew who the hell Nap Lajoie was, or what a "Cap Anson" was. They knew Babe Ruth. Some knew Lou Gehrig. But Jimmie Foxx? Rogers Hornsby, or Walter Johnson? Nope. But this was long before the internet. It was before I had a car, and the only local baseball card shop was a long bike ride downtown. So, my exposure to vintage cards was relegated to magazines.

Before I'd ever heard of Beckett, I read Baseball Cards Magazine. As I flipped through the pages, I'd ooo and ah like a kid pressing his nose up against a candy store window. But it wasn't hard candy, or chocolate, that was making my eyes open wide. It was pictures of Mickey Mantle's baseball cards. Ted Williams' baseball cards. Hell, Don Mattingly's baseball cards. I couldn't wait to get older so I could add these to my collection. Somewhere along the way, I lost interest in the hobby when Topps, Fleer and Donruss over-saturated the hell out of the market. There just wasn't anything special about the cards that were coming out. Upper Deck held my interest for a while, but I soon ducked out of the hobby for good. Or so I thought.

A few years ago, when I hurt my back and went on long term disability, I suddenly found myself with a lot of free time, and forced into a sedentary lifestyle when one surgery after another did not solve the problem. And again, I found myself interested in baseball cards. What better time to have a hobby when you can't work, or go out an socialize with your friends the way you used to?

I got into the Chrome cards knowing they'd be next to impossible to forge. I knew, too, that the autographs on the cards were legit. But I wanted to add vintage cards to my collection. And after about a year of chasing every new release that came out, I thought to myself..."what am I really doing?". I wanted more. I wanted the cards I dreamed about as a child. But I felt so unequipped to invest in vintage cards. I searched the internet, and found Net54. I lurked for a while, then signed up, and jumped in feet first. I grew to absolutely love Leon's place, and the members of the forum. And I've found the education I need to make informed, smart decisions.

But now, after reading the forum, and pressing my nose back up against the candy store window, I find myself completely in love with the T206 cards. I've looked through the collections you all link in your signatures, and I am hooked. And I wanted to give you all a big (perhaps a tad long-winded) thank you for sharing your collections, and showing me just how incredible these little cards are. I am in love with the monster (sounds like a George Carlin line, doesn't it?). It's funny. After one hundred years of every conceivable technological advance, it's the simplest cards that are the most beautiful. There's no fancy "glossy coating", no slick photography. Just a beautiful set from back when people played and watched baseball for the love of the game.

I'm not going to give up my modern cards, but I will look to find a happy medium, collecting both new and old. Pre war, vintage, and modern. And while I will be slow to grow my collection (as I keep myself on a definite budget), I look forward to sharing my little treasures with you all. In the mean time, I will continue to find great enjoyment in what you all share. Thank you!

Bill

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:51 AM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Good luck. Just remember The Monster wants you to quit.

Member since 2009
Old 05-15-2013, 03:57 AM
Bill Gregory

I know it does. I don't have any plans to try and assemble the whole set. There's too many different cards I like, so I'll jump around.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:25 AM
@ndrew woo.dfin

You should try T205's. They may be ugly at first but just like wives and girlfriends the more you have them around and look at them the better looking they get

Member since 2009
Old 05-15-2013, 06:19 AM
Jason Stricker

Bill - Welcome to the jungle! Great pre-war set to collect.

I'm with you on Harper. As a Nats season ticket holder, it's awesome watching him play in person.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:09 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Nice summation Bill. I think I love playing almost as much as you love the game. I have been out for over a month with some injuries but I will be back (to softball) soon.

As for your liking of this forum, it's understandable. There are some of the most knowledgeable and nice guys in the hobby here. One small thing I might politely disagree with is your thinking it is "my" forum. I assure you I have little to do with the success of it and the camaraderie that is shown. I direct traffic a bit but the members make this one of the best places to hang out.

I only need to try to help broaden your horizons even more and get into type collecting.. There is a whole other world out there, besides T206 .
Old 05-15-2013, 07:22 AM
Steve Birmingham

What a wonderful post! It should be required reading, especially for anyone who says sports aren't important.

T206 is a wonderful set, and it's the introduction to prewar for many people. It can be as simple or as complicated as you want it to be. I love the complexity, others don't and that's ok.

But sample the other sets too. They all have some wonderful things about them. T205, T206s flashy sister is a good start. Don't ignore the homely one though - T207s are pretty cool in their own way.

And T210, which I think is the real monster of the teens. 640 cards, all condition sensitive, two tough series, and only two big names, but real budget busters. (Plus the orange bordered series 3 cards for a touch of complexity.)

Nearly all the prewar stuff is more impressive in hand than in pictures. Even the W cards, there's some of the worst paper and printing, but they were the thing for roughly a decade, maybe a bit more.

Steve B
Old 05-15-2013, 08:51 AM
N.ate A.dams

Well written post Bill!

If you're set on T206s, you should consider putting together a Milwaukee team subset (Shad Barry, Dan McGann, Stoney McGlynn, and Newt Randall). Since there are only 4, try to get like 6+ each, all with varying advertisements on the back. Now that I think of it, I think that this particular subset would have outstanding aesthetic appeal if you had them all together. Three of them have colors similar to yellow, and the McGlynn is a shade of red.

http://www.t206.org/mini_set.php?team=Milwaukee

Regardless, good luck, and GO CUBS!

Old 05-15-2013, 09:06 AM
Clayton

Great post Bill!! That was an awesome read for sure.

I can say that I have been in love with T206 cards ever since my first one. I did pick up other cards, and I did admire them, but the T206 set was the one for me and I knew it. It is a set you have to have patience with, unless you have deep pockets. Enjoy the ride and good luck hunting!!

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 05-15-2013, 09:54 AM
Rob Ruddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by T205 GB View Post
You should try T205's. They may be ugly at first but just like wives and girlfriends the more you have them around and look at them the better looking they get
I thought it had something to do with how many beers you've had.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:19 PM
Bill Gregory

I love the set, but I'm not going to work on collecting the whole thing. I'm like a man living in France, going to the market for dinner. With so many wonderful flavors to choose from, I'm not going to restrict myself to "one type of cuisine", so to speak. The great thing about baseball cards is you can collect however you like. You can work on one player (lots of Mickey Mantle collectors), one team (Milwaukee Braves? Yes, please!), a set, a period, a card manufacturer, or you can just "jump around" (a little reference to my Wisconsin Badgers ) I might pick up a T206 Walter Johnson Portrait, then grab a Goudey Babe Ruth. Next, I may go post war, and plunk down a handful of C Notes to add a '53 Bowman Color Stan Musial to my collection. Maybe I can't find one in the condition I like...so I'll come back to it, and add this beautiful '53 Bowman Color Roy Campanella instead. And I will continue to buy cards for players in the game now. Whatever tickles my fancy at the moment.

The collecting options are as vast as the colors of the rainbow, or the different kinds of music. And I plan on enjoying them all. If I like it, there's no reason why I can't get it. This is something I can work on the rest of my life.

Last edited by the 'stache; 05-15-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:24 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
As for your liking of this forum, it's understandable. There are some of the most knowledgeable and nice guys in the hobby here. One small thing I might politely disagree with is your thinking it is "my" forum. I assure you I have little to do with the success of it and the camaraderie that is shown. I direct traffic a bit but the members make this one of the best places to hang out.
Oh, I know the members of the forum make it special, but I think you deserve some of the credit, too, Leon. You are the great and powerful Oz behind the curtain, pulling the strings, making it all possible. So while I greatly enjoy interacting with the members, and learn a great deal from everybody, I know to give thanks, too, to the man who makes it a reality.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:26 PM
Bill Gregory

And thanks, everybody. I look forward to getting to know all of you better. And I am excited to see some more collections. The internet is a wonderful thing, isn't it?