NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-11-2020, 03:16 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Default Now on Ebay! 1950's Brooklyn Dodgers Signed Baseball, Jackie Robinson, Campanella

Hey guys, what's your take on this ball? PSA describes them as clubhouse signatures, but I know that doesn't mean they all are, necessarily. Which ones do you think are the real mccoy and which aren't? I feel pretty confident most are genuine but looking for some opinions.

Also, I bought it on ebay. Would you say that this listing was misleading or was it totally on me to read and understand the meaning of Clubhouse Signatures in on the PSA paper? I'm a novice when it comes to signatures, so I took a solid look and assumed these were all genuine. The PSA paper even calls them "genuine" towards the bottom, which in itself I find a little misleading. This ball is Ball #3 on the PSA letter.

Thanks for your help!

Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brooklyn-Do...rdt=true&rt=nc

Last edited by luciobar1980; 02-21-2020 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-11-2020, 03:38 PM
Brock

Messed up

Last edited by yanks12025; 01-11-2020 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Totally wrong
Old 01-11-2020, 03:46 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
I dont think that PSA auction letter even goes with the baseball.. Cause it lists tons more than 12 signatures and says Roy Campanella and there's no Campanella on that ball.

Id reach out to the seller about that..
I think it does actually.. the PSA letter lists 3 balls. The ball is question is ball #3. Sorry, should have mentioned that.
Old 01-11-2020, 03:50 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Also, the link appears down at the moment but I did find that the ball sold as part of the George S. Hipp Collection in 2002. That auction included all 3 balls listed on the PSA letter, mine being ball #3.
Old 01-11-2020, 03:54 PM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciobar1980 View Post
I think it does actually.. the PSA letter lists 3 balls. The ball is question is ball #3. Sorry, should have mentioned that.
Yep you're correct, I skipped over that part. Either way I think the title should still have said clubhouse ball instead of saying original
Old 01-11-2020, 06:48 PM
Joe Hunter

Default Clubhouse Ball

I think there is enough ambiguity in the description that I would send it back. I don’t think you would have a problem with EBay not siding with you in the event the seller balks at accepting the return. The fact that he says “no returns accepted” really means nothing.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:02 PM
Kevin O'Gara

Campanella is on that ball. But I don't like the Jackie Robinson
Old 01-11-2020, 08:43 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Quote:
Originally Posted by khkco4bls View Post
Campanella is on that ball. But I don't like the Jackie Robinson
Yup, I don't disagree. I've compared it to a bunch and from a layman's perspective it is definitely not way way off and even is similar in ways to a few I've seen, buuuut, leaning towards it not being his sig. And he's far and away the most important name on the ball, sooo...

Definitely still eager for other opinions though in either case!!
Old 01-11-2020, 08:44 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hunter View Post
I think there is enough ambiguity in the description that I would send it back. I don’t think you would have a problem with EBay not siding with you in the event the seller balks at accepting the return. The fact that he says “no returns accepted” really means nothing.
Yeah, it's kind of odd that eBay even allows sellers, at this point, to say they don't accept returns.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:30 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

The two keys (Jackie and Campy) are secretarial.

Send it back, if that's not what you wanted, or feel you were misled.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:22 AM
CoreyRS.hanus

FWIW, this ball reminds me of a 1955 Dodger's ball I considered buying some years ago on eBay. The provenance showed the ball was awarded in 1955 as a prize for winning some contest. I recall too the company that ran the contest was a sponsor of the Dodgers, thus giving further credence the signatures were genuine. I told the seller that I would not buy the ball until he showed it to PSA/DNA, which he did. They reported that all the signatures were clubhouse. As I recall, all the signatures appeared similar to those on this ball in regard to the pen used and the strength/color of the ink.

I remember myself as a kid in the 60's buying at a souvenir shop a signed Yankees ball. I displayed it for a number of years, never considering the signatures might be clubhouse. My point is that the people who are the intended customers of contests or souvenir shops that promote such items likely assume the signatures are real.

Bottom line with your ball -- IMO much more likely than not the signatures are clubhouse.
Old 01-12-2020, 03:11 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Hmm, interesting, thanks for that tidbit! I've decided to return the ball, waiting to hear back from ebay.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:37 AM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

So, in the end, somewhat inexplicably, the seller allowed me to keep the ball but refunded my money! So anyways, what would you guys value this ball at/what is a reasonable asking price?
Old 02-17-2020, 10:19 AM
D@ve Se@born

Default Value

Since the original seller was willing to let you keep it for nothing, I think you have your answer.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:35 AM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

No one would pay even $1 for this ball which likely features several genuine signatures of HOF players? I have to disagree.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:55 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Agree that it definitely has value. Hard to determine a sales price with all the Clubhouse Sigs. But it is a vintage ball and has definite worth. I'd throw it on eBay (with good pics and full disclosure), start it at $19.99, and let the market dictate it's price.

Best of luck, and congrats on getting the refund!

Last edited by perezfan; 02-17-2020 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:27 AM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Thanks! It worked out surprisingly well for me! haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Agree that it definitely has value. Hard to determine a sales price with all the Clubhouse Sigs. But it is a vintage ball and has definite worth. I'd throw it on eBay (with good pics and full disclosure), start it at $19.99, and let the market dictate it's price.

Best of luck, and congrats on getting the refund!
Old 02-21-2020, 09:26 AM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Now on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1950-s-Broo...cAAOSwkEFeTxM5
Old 02-21-2020, 10:38 AM
CoreyRS.hanus

If I'm a betting man I would bet 100% of the signatures are clubhouse.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:43 AM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

I really find that hard to believe! How could all those separate signatures look so similar to their real counterparts? Did these teams go very out of their way to have people signing that could virtually duplicate the signatures of all these players? Maybe they did, I'm pretty naive to this. Interesting nonetheless. I leave it to the bidders to decide...

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjulmag View Post
If I'm a betting man I would bet 100% of the signatures are clubhouse.
Old 02-21-2020, 01:42 PM
Rick

Quote:
I really find that hard to believe! How could all those separate signatures look so similar to their real counterparts? Did these teams go very out of their way to have people signing that could virtually duplicate the signatures of all these players? Maybe they did, I'm pretty naive to this. Interesting nonetheless. I leave it to the bidders to decide...
Can't really speak as to other teams, but the Brooklyn Dodgers had a clubhouse attendant named Charlie The Brow DiGiovanna who often signed for the players, sometimes just a few signatures, sometimes the whole ball. He was so good, some of the players couldn't tell if they had signed or he had. But there are subtle differences. The one you have on ebay is 100% signed by him. It is a little unusual since he usually had more signatures on the ball, and each signature was a little smaller than yours, but they are definitely his signatures IMO. These balls can still go for $100-200, so you never know.

Here's a link to an article about him: https://www.psacard.com/articles/art...row-digiovanna

Last edited by rlevy; 02-21-2020 at 03:14 PM. Reason: attempt to fix link
Old 02-21-2020, 02:39 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Wow, that's crazy. Interesting. That's a real talent right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlevy View Post
Can't really speak as to other teams, but the Brooklyn Dodgers had a clubhouse attendant named Charlie The Brow DiGiovanna who often signed for the players, sometimes just a few signatures, sometimes the whole ball. He was so good, some of the players couldn't tell if they had signed or he had. But there are subtle differences. The one you have on ebay is 100% signed by him. It is a little unusual since he usually had more signatures on the ball, and each signature was a little smaller than yours, but they are definitely his signatures IMO. These balls can still go for $100-200, so you never know.

Here's a link to an article about him: http://https://www.psacard.com/artic...row-digiovanna
Rick
Old 02-21-2020, 02:41 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

That's pretty cool, I guess either way the ball is an interesting piece. You link didn't work but here it is:

https://www.psacard.com/articles/art...row-digiovanna
Old 02-21-2020, 08:22 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

So, not to be a jerk or anything, but you bought a ball PSA'd as clubhouse. The seller felt it didn't have enough value to pay to have it returned. The opinions on here are clubhouse, esp. the Jackie. You even say you don't like the Jackie.

So what do you do? You post it on ebay saying "PSA says clubhouse, but I say most of the autos are real." You even list the Jackie that you don't like as the featured player! Not quite a lie, but I'd say very far from full disclosure. You specifically started this thread because you didn't like how the original seller listed this, and what do you do? You relist it with just as much shadiness. Looks like yet another ebay seller posting enough info to cover your a** with true collectors, but just maybe you'll catch a fish.

IMHO, this is crap. My ebay handle is earlywynnfan. Please block me so I don't accidentally bid with you.

Ken
Old 02-22-2020, 01:08 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Dude, leave me alone. I fully explain everything in the auction. I still believe most of them are real, as I say in the auction. People can bid how they want. Do I have to hold every person’s hand. I think I explained everything pretty thoroughly. Definitely not as much shadiness as the original seller, sorry, I disagree. Do you want me to say ALL OF THESE SIGNATURES ARE CLUBHOUSE??! I don’t actually believe that. It’s possible though, and any person is free to bid or not bid accordingly.

Last edited by luciobar1980; 02-22-2020 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-22-2020, 03:51 PM
Alan Elefson

I completely agree with Ken. You asked for opinions and you basically ignored them and hope someone else is foolish enough to buy it. Your title and description is very misleading. That is not a good move on your part if you want credibility in future transactions.

Alan Elefson
Old 02-22-2020, 04:34 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

What would you like me to add to the auction? Honestly. I'm not going to say "these are all secretarial", because I don't know that. I didn't ignore the opinions, I've taken them into account and described what I believe in the auction. I really don't know what else you want me to say. People have to look at it and form their own opinions and do research. Do I have to lead them right to this thread?
Old 02-22-2020, 04:42 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Added this to the auction:

Since I've gotten some inquiries about the ball, let me say it perfectly plainly. SOME OR ALL OF THESE SIGNATURES MAY BE SECRETARIAL. I do not know for sure. There was a Dodger batboy named Charlie "The Brow" DiGiovanna who was known to sign in place of many of the players. Either way, a very cool piece of Dodgers memorabilia.
Old 02-22-2020, 04:42 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

I think anyone who bids at this point should understand, and if they don't they have no business bidding on the ball at all.
Old 02-22-2020, 05:02 PM
Rick

Quote:
Added this to the auction:

Since I've gotten some inquiries about the ball, let me say it perfectly plainly. SOME OR ALL OF THESE SIGNATURES MAY BE SECRETARIAL. I do not know for sure. There was a Dodger batboy named Charlie "The Brow" DiGiovanna who was known to sign in place of many of the players. Either way, a very cool piece of Dodgers memorabilia.
The PSA letter, which you are referring to in your listing, says all 3 baseballs it inspected in that lot were clubhouse signatures. If any were deemed authentic, they would list those separately. They didn't bother, because all were deemed clubhouse. I know you are finding this hard to believe, but none are authentic. It isn't even one of Charlie's better works.

I also think you should have "Clubhouse signatures" with an explanation of what that means, prominently displayed at the top of your description. While I agree with you that bidders should read everything, if it were me, I would have Clubhouse at the top.

Rick
Old 02-22-2020, 05:47 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Dude, leave me alone. I fully explain everything in the auction. I still believe most of them are real, as I say in the auction. People can bid how they want. Do I have to hold every person’s hand. I think I explained everything pretty thoroughly. Definitely not as much shadiness as the original seller, sorry, I disagree. Do you want me to say ALL OF THESE SIGNATURES ARE CLUBHOUSE??! I don’t actually believe that. It’s possible though, and any person is free to bid or not bid accordingly.
I believe in the tooth fairy too Why didn't you just keep the ball or send it back anyway? Didn't the seller credit you?

You're doing exactly what the owner of the ball did to you in the description, no?

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 02-22-2020 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-23-2020, 12:27 AM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
... I'm not going to say "these are all secretarial", because I don't know that...
Actually, based on the letter from the paid opinion givers, you DO know that.

Doug "blaming the bidders is an easy way out" Goodman

Last edited by doug.goodman; 02-23-2020 at 12:28 AM.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:05 AM
Jonathan Sterling

I agree with others that your Ebay listing is "Bad Behavior " on many levels. If you really believed that you are right and the folks here that offered you their free opinions based on combined decades if not centuries of experience are wrong. About even ONE of the signatures then you would send it to PSA and see what they say.
Oh Sorry ,My Bad, PSA has already said they were all Clubhouse.
So the only reason you would even suggest in your listing that one or more of the signatures was real is because you have bad intent.
I wonder if after you sell the ball the buyer starts a return because the listing made statements that led them to believe it is something it is not. Will you refund all their money and let them keep the ball?
Old 02-23-2020, 10:16 AM
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
I wonder if after you sell the ball the buyer starts a return because the listing made statements that led them to believe it is something it is not.
+1

Other than the ethics involved, that is a major reason why It is best to state all the issues up front, since a buyer could easily say they were deceived by your statements.

Rick
Old 02-23-2020, 10:08 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
So, not to be a jerk or anything...

Ken
There is a jerk on this thread Ken, but it's not you.

Doug "although it might be me" Goodman
Old 02-24-2020, 09:46 AM
Brendan Mullen

You relist it with just as much shadiness

Completely agree. Scumbag move.

Last edited by Bpm0014; 02-24-2020 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:38 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
There is a jerk on this thread Ken, but it's not you.

Doug "although it might be me" Goodman
Thanks, although my wife might disagree with you!
Old 02-24-2020, 02:56 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

It always amazes me that people have so little regard for their reputation.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:37 AM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Did you guys even read everything I added to the auction? Calling me a jerk, etc, is really unneccessary and says more about you than it does about me. But of course no one here will see this from my point of view. Everyone on their high horse and mob rule as usual.. no surprise.

Last edited by luciobar1980; 02-25-2020 at 07:38 AM.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:52 AM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

I took everyone's feedback and added to the description. I was not trying to mislead anyone. I took what I knew or believed at the time and created the auction.

If you knew me you wouldn't be talking to me like I'm some scumbag seller. I've never had an unhappy customer, always accept returns and have even refunded people many times without even requiring a return.

I have sold comic books and baseball cards and have never been accused of misleading anyone.

That's my reputation. If you find this listing to be fraudulent or misleading, even after reading what I've added to the auction, then you're just seeing what you want to see and taking out your frustrations and insecurities on me. You are all perfect and virtuous, I get it.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:53 AM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
You relist it with just as much shadiness

Completely agree. Scumbag move.
Unnecessary. Not cool. Go away.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:00 AM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Furthermore, if I had just described these as Clubhouse Signatures as several people have suggested, that is not necessarily a transparent term to everyone. I myself thought that that meant that the ball was signed "in the Clubhouse" by the players. It wasn't until after I bought the ball that I realized what that meant.

So, by simply saying Clubhouse Signatures in the title, that doesn't really inform many people who don't know the term anything. Instead, I just said "signed ball" in the title and then went on to describe what that means in the description. Seriously! You guys are seeing this the way you want to so you can gang up on me. No halfway-intelligent collector would have been mislead by my auction even as it was originally, before i added to the description. If you believe otherwise, you might not be halfway-intelligent yourself.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:00 AM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

And with that, I'm done. I won't be checking this thread anymore. Good luck to all.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:02 AM
Brendan Mullen

Directly from your description:

PSA has described these as clubhouse signatures which means some of the signatures may be secretarial. I personally believe most of these signatures are by the players themselves, but please do your own research

Even after you were told they were all (poor) forgeries/clubhouse signatures. I, thus, stand by my original assessment of a scumbag move.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:13 AM
Brian "Tony" Levinson

Op, if you check this thread again, the fair thing to do would be to send any money you get for this ball to the guy you bought it from, up to what you paid anyway. That seller did you a nice favor refunding you and letting you keep the ball.

Modifying the description was helpful, but a heading stating clubhouse signatures is more descriptive, not less, for most people.

I do give you credit for modifying the description after being advised to do so, so I think you are trying to do the right thing, even if the execution was faulty.

Buying or trading for lesser condition Butterfingers

Always looking for raw lesser condition vintage baseball and football --small or large lots.

Member of Old Baseball Cards
Old 02-25-2020, 04:15 PM
Rick

I actually don’t have a problem with your listing now. I just would have had clubhouse in the first line, with an explanation of what that means. And I wouldn’t put in a personal opinion because it gives a buyer ammunition to seek a refund from eBay, claiming they were misled. They could buy the ball, go to JSA in hopes it passes, but then apply for a refund when it fails, claiming they were misled by your statement that you felt most of the signatures were good. eBay sides with the buyer so often, why improve their position.

Rick
Old 02-25-2020, 06:03 PM
Ron V

46 watchers....45 are from this forum including me to see what this thing sells for lol

Last edited by eastonfalcon19; 02-25-2020 at 06:04 PM.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:22 PM
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastonfalcon19 View Post
46 watchers....45 are from this forum including me to see what this thing sells for lol
That is pretty funny. But like I said, there are buyers for these "clubhouse balls". I have seen ones from 1955 sell for $400-500.

Rick
Old 02-25-2020, 06:29 PM
Ron V

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlevy View Post
That is pretty funny. But like I said, there are buyers for these "clubhouse balls". I have seen ones from 1955 sell for $400-500.

Rick
It is a nice ball...If it was me that had this ball I would stick it with some of my other Dodger memorabilia. That's crazy that some sold for that much. I was actually surprised to see this one at $100 already. I guess I never really paid attention to clubhouse baseballs.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:28 PM
Paul C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999Tony View Post
Op, if you check this thread again, the fair thing to do would be to send any money you get for this ball to the guy you bought it from, up to what you paid anyway. That seller did you a nice favor refunding you and letting you keep the ball.
This is the best idea and the right thing to do.