NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-28-2020, 09:59 PM

Default Griffey Jr. foul ball

Hi all,

I am interested in a Ken Griffey Jr. foul ball. The ball is dated 4/24/09 and has the score Mariners 9 Angels 8. However, this game was played on 4/25/09 according to box scores from that season. The ball is noted to having being hit by Jr. Griffey played in both games on 4/24 and 4/25, so he was for sure at the park hitting balls into the seats. I wonder how many of you think this is the real McCoy? The ball is from later in Griffey's career and from a regular season game. I feel if someone were trying to create a fake they'd choose a bigger game or season and wouldn't have put the wrong day. They also are asking for $40 dollars, not a big price from a game used ball hit by Griffey. I am told it is from a longtime Mariners collector.

Last edited by AstroJake09; 02-29-2020 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-29-2020, 06:27 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

I wouldn't waste $40 on that. Put the $ 40 towards a MLB Authenticated baseball. At least you will know for sure what you're getting.
Old 02-29-2020, 11:39 AM
Doug Goodman

For 40 bucks I think it's a cool conversation piece...
Old 02-29-2020, 12:27 PM
Jonathan Sterling

I agree with Doug a nice conversation piece another word for it is decorative item. I dont think without any proof it will appreciate in price. But OP can appreciate it for years on his wall or desk.

J
Old 02-29-2020, 12:52 PM

If you feel confident enough about its authenticity, then buy it and enjoy owning it. But if you're not that confident about it, then you'll have nagging doubts about it for as long as you own it and you may not actually enjoy it that much. Maybe spend the money on something that won't have that downside.
Old 02-29-2020, 03:03 PM
Ron V

I would get it for $40. I get it with all of the MLB authentication but think about how many items are out there that people pass on just because they aren't "authenticated". I think it's a cool item.
Old 02-29-2020, 03:12 PM

I'm able to get it for $20 with free shipping. The ball also would be coming from California and the game was played in Aniheim... so that bit checks out too. The ball exhibits good game use and looks like there is a mark from the bat and what seems to be grass and dirt marks making me to believe it bounced ito the stands from the field. Does anyone know where I might be able to find a copy of the complete game between these two teams on 4/25/09? I'd like to rewatch it to see if Griffey hit any foul balls over the course of the game.

Last edited by AstroJake09; 02-29-2020 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:11 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

It's possible that it's legit, and whoever wrote the date on the ball was confused or distracted and put the wrong date on it. But I'd stay away, anyway. Even if it was legit, the fact that it had the wrong date on it would be distracting to me.

One thing I noticed, and this may or may not be relevant, is that the numeral "4" is written in two different styles...

Old 03-01-2020, 03:02 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

My brain hurts from seeing how awfully Anaheim is spelled.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 03-02-2020, 05:55 PM
Michael I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
It's possible that it's legit, and whoever wrote the date on the ball was confused or distracted and put the wrong date on it. But I'd stay away, anyway. Even if it was legit, the fact that it had the wrong date on it would be distracting to me.

One thing I noticed, and this may or may not be relevant, is that the numeral "4" is written in two different styles...

He had 4 AB that game i am sure he would have fouled one off at some point.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:31 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

If you are a Griffey fan and like the item, go for it. But don’t do it if you think this will appreciate in value. It won’t. Not a piece that is investment anything.
Old 03-02-2020, 08:01 PM
Michael I.

If it makes you feel better most of the bats I have seen Griffey JR use were black..Buy the ball its only 30 bucks. Enjoy it I am sure its real but like others have said its not an investment item. Just a talking piece..Let us know if you buy it.
Old 03-02-2020, 08:03 PM
Michael I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroJake09 View Post
I'm able to get it for $20 with free shipping. The ball also would be coming from California and the game was played in Aniheim... so that bit checks out too. The ball exhibits good game use and looks like there is a mark from the bat and what seems to be grass and dirt marks making me to believe it bounced ito the stands from the field. Does anyone know where I might be able to find a copy of the complete game between these two teams on 4/25/09? I'd like to rewatch it to see if Griffey hit any foul balls over the course of the game.
And besides a new MLB ball is like 17 bucks so really what are you out??? Buy the ball!!! Enjoy it
Old 03-02-2020, 08:16 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

If you want it and it's $20, go for it
Old 03-03-2020, 02:14 AM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
It's possible that it's legit, and whoever wrote the date on the ball was confused or distracted and put the wrong date on it.
I thought it was Tuesday until about 7 pm this evening, then I found out that it was Monday.

I'm not claiming that I caught the foul, but...
Old 03-03-2020, 07:05 AM

I guess it's hard to tell from the photo but it doesn't look (to me) like it has the rub a game ball would have on it. My dad happened to catch one foul ball in his life and it was also a Griffey foul ball. Even off the bat the ball was noticeably browned from pre-game prep. Looks like some grass staining on there too.

Last edited by packs; 03-03-2020 at 07:07 AM.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:21 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I guess it's hard to tell from the photo but it doesn't look (to me) like it has the rub a game ball would have on it. My dad happened to catch one foul ball in his life and it was also a Griffey foul ball. Even off the bat the ball was noticeably browned from pre-game prep. Looks like some grass staining on there too.
Kid who had it may have well well used it. Hence grass stains.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:13 AM

It's definitely possible for the ball to have hit the grass first and bounced into the stands too. If you know where the guy was sitting based on the ticket you should be able to determine how likely that would be. My dad was sitting in the upper deck behind home plate when he caught his. Therefore, no grass on his ball. It was caught on the fly.
Old 03-03-2020, 04:13 PM
John E.

Get the ball. You want it enough to be watching it this closely, and the price isn't killer if it winds up no good. You'll regret it if you dont.