NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-10-2020, 12:23 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Default Another one for Al & the Pinback Guys...

OK, this one is football and not baseball. Still need some help from the Pin experts on this one. I have a pretty decent Pinback collection, but it's not my "wheelhouse" so to speak...

That said... everything about this one (from the construction, style, foxing and aging) looks legit and age-appropriate to me. Is this Jim Brown Pin a Fantasy, or a legitimate vintage Pin?

I could not find another exemplar, which could be either good or bad. If it's a repro, you'd think they'd be all over the place, but it would be nice to see some verified "comps" as well. Seems to be a rare one, if it's indeed good.

Any thoughts from the Pin Gurus?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brown.jpg (79.4 KB, 303 views)
File Type: jpg Brown2.jpg (71.1 KB, 300 views)
Old 03-10-2020, 04:40 PM
Rob

I’m leaning fantasy, due to the pin clasp. Jim retired in 1965 and baseball PM-10s were still using the “poke your eye out” type pin at that time. I also don’t like the lack of Brown’s name. What size is it?
Old 03-10-2020, 05:13 PM
Al

Hi Mark,
What is the size of the pin? 1 3/4 2 1/8 or 3 1/4. Now if its the first 2 I would have to say fantasy as as Rob said. The clasp to me for that size would be wrong. Now if its 3 1/4 that clasp would be correct. BUT to tell the truth I would have to lean on fantasy or made up also!

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..
Old 03-10-2020, 06:42 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsballsbases View Post
Hi Mark,
What is the size of the pin? 1 3/4 2 1/8 or 3 1/4. Now if its the first 2 I would have to say fantasy as as Rob said. The clasp to me for that size would be wrong. Now if its 3 1/4 that clasp would be correct. BUT to tell the truth I would have to lean on fantasy or made up also!
The seller is Seaweed2270 (Eric Weeden) who specializes in Pinbacks, and is by far the biggest seller of them on eBay. He described the Pinback as being circa 1959. I assumed that he advertised and described it correctly, and knows his stuff. Perhaps I/he was wrong...

It's 3" in diameter, FWIW. I will address the issue with him... many thanks for your help.

Last edited by perezfan; 03-10-2020 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:03 PM
Rob

Perhaps a vintage, but home made, job? I’m not sure you’ll ever know....
Old 03-10-2020, 07:09 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

IDK... it does not look at all home-made.

Dumb question... What are these pins "coated" with anyway? I assume it's just paper underneath a varnish or plastic coating of some kind? Is there a word for the glossy surface material?
Old 03-10-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post

Dumb question... What are these pins "coated" with anyway? I assume it's just paper underneath a varnish or plastic coating of some kind? Is there a word for the glossy surface material?
It certainly isn't all vintage pins, but many of the early to mid 1970's pins have a hard clear plastic cover and the paper photo underneath is very thin and waxy feeling. I'm curious myself how the pins that don't have the clear plastic cover are made but I haven't taken one of them apart yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1023.JPG (76.5 KB, 258 views)
Old 03-10-2020, 08:12 PM
Al

Quote:
The seller is Seaweed2270 (Eric Weeden) who specializes in Pinbacks, and is by far the biggest seller of them on eBay. He described the Pinback as being circa 1959. I assumed that he advertised and described it correctly, and knows his stuff. Perhaps I/he was wrong...

It's 3" in diameter, FWIW. I will address the issue with him... many thanks for your help.
Mark as far as Eric goes (this is my opinion) And I have nothing against Eric he is a member here and yes maybe you can ask him BUT Eric buys up large and small collections from auction houses etc., marks them up 50-100 % and puts them back on ebay. With these types of collections you get the good with the bad the shit with the sad.For Eric I would use the word business man not expert. Now back to your pin In my opinion if the pin is 3" exactly not 3 1/8 or 3 1/4 I would deem it a fantasy piece. Now if Eric wishes to come on and tell me why he thinks its real and how he knows that Im all ears. I see it sold for $295.00 and I assume you were the buyer,I would have asked more questions before I bought that pin.....

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Old 03-10-2020, 08:14 PM
Chris Counts

Mark, did you see this auction listing? Is this the same one? https://lelands.com/bids/rare-circa-...brown-pm10-pin
Old 03-10-2020, 08:25 PM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
Mark, did you see this auction listing? Is this the same one? https://lelands.com/bids/rare-circa-...brown-pm10-pin
Thankyou Chris ,
This is exactly what I was trying to say.. Its the same pin that was in Lelands 2 years ago. It is the same pin that you bought a few days ago. He even copied the same statement that Lelands used to sell it. Now does that make him an expert ? No that makes him a businessman. And now think about if its so rare why did it sell for about half the price it did before....

Old 03-10-2020, 08:40 PM
Rob

Quote:

There’s a word....”cello”....but that doesn’t explain much, does it?

And, as far as “home-made”....they have button makers now that can produce very nice buttons at home. I would assume they had similar machines “back in the day.”

Last edited by ooo-ribay; 03-10-2020 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-11-2020, 01:14 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Many thanks to Cliff, Chris, Rob and Al for your input and valuable contributions here...

Yes, it is the exact Pin that was sold previously by Lelands. I actually paid $218 on a Best Offer (not the full $295 asking price). So I paid just about exactly HALF of the original Lelands sale price in 2018 (just 2 years ago).

I know Eric is not in business to lose money, so will correspond with him about this off-line. Very curious as to why he'd let it go for half-price, and why he believes it's authentic and of the era. It's a nifty looking Pin, but not worth the $218, if it's really a Fantasy Piece.

Thanks again for all of your help,
Mark
Old 03-11-2020, 08:35 AM
Howard Chasser

Default another consideration

Why does the clasp/pin look to be in exceptional condition relative to the balance of the back of the pin which looks rusted, etc. I do not consider myself knowledgeable enough to weigh in beyond that.
Old 03-11-2020, 05:11 PM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
Why does the clasp/pin look to be in exceptional condition relative to the balance of the back of the pin which looks rusted, etc. I do not consider myself knowledgeable enough to weigh in beyond that.
Howard,
The pin/clasp itself to me really isnt the issue as many of them were made of stainless steel or brass/ brass coated. To me the issue is the look, the exact size ( Mark said 3 inches) not many pins of that era were made 3 inches exactly,and the fact that it is Jim Brown a big star( you would think they would want to capitalize on making money) BUT why is there only one pin? It just doesnt fit which is why most of us are leaning to a made up one of a kind pin or a fantasy pin . I have seen this before on other pins .... Someone else may be able to help a bit more on the image on the pin as I have seen that image on something else before... Card, program, Jello box?

Old 03-11-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:

The full term for these is "celluloid pinback buttons." Below is a description from the site of the American Political Items Collectors.

"Celluloid Button – this refers to a pinback button. There are various methods for making a celluloid pinback button, but the most common method for construction is as follows: an image was printed on paper, celluloid was placed onto the paper, then the combination of the paper/celluloid was secured (wrapped) onto a metal disk. The paper/celluloid application was held in place on the metal disk by wrapping it around the curl of the metal disk, then stabilized by a metal rim (or collet) that was pressed onto the back of the pin. Celluloid has not been used in the manufacture of pinback buttons for decades, now replaced by acetate."

https://www.apic.us/Resources/Glossa...2/Default.aspx
Old 03-11-2020, 09:31 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Thanks for finding/posting that... I've heard the term "celluloid" many times, but never really had a grasp of what the material was. It must date all the way back to the turn of the century... right?

BTW, Erik kindly and promptly issued me a full refund as soon as I expressed my concerns. Very courteous and effortless. He provided some pretty decent rationale for the Pin being authentic, but I would not have felt completely comfortable with it, based on the feedback here (and in another forum).

It may just be one of those items that forever remains a mystery.

Last edited by perezfan; 03-11-2020 at 09:31 PM.
Old 03-12-2020, 06:00 AM
Rob

Good for Eric! Customer service like that will ensure a long run as ebay's #1 seller of pinbacks.

I have thoughts on what makes a pin "real." I'm going to post in the other pin thread, even though most of the "usual (pin) suspects" chimed in on this one.
Old 03-12-2020, 06:56 AM
Al

Quote:
Thanks for finding/posting that... I've heard the term "celluloid" many times, but never really had a grasp of what the material was. It must date all the way back to the turn of the century... right?

BTW, Erik kindly and promptly issued me a full refund as soon as I expressed my concerns. Very courteous and effortless. He provided some pretty decent rationale for the Pin being authentic, but I would not have felt completely comfortable with it, based on the feedback here (and in another forum).

It may just be one of those items that forever remains a mystery.
Mark,
Im glad it worked out. Like I said Eric is a good businessman and stands behind his items. Good for him... I would love to know his rationale for the pin being authentic.... Maybe a PM

Old 03-12-2020, 03:55 PM
Mike Kendall

In case you didn’t notice, the Brown pin is back up for sale on eBay.
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown
Old 03-12-2020, 05:51 PM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK View Post
In case you didn’t notice, the Brown pin is back up for sale on eBay.
Mike,
Without a valid response from Eric I will have to call that the P.T Barnum theory. "There is a sucker born every minute"

Old 03-17-2020, 07:25 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I collect Brown stuff and saw that pin, but passed. It is definitely not authentic from the date listed. The photo used is from a 1964 team photo shoot. Here is a team issue from that shoot:

It has been widely reprinted and was also used to create a press release for the Pro Bowl that year.

So the pin is an anachronism in terms of advertised date.

Now, as to the design, the 3" safety pin format was not used during Brown's career.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 03-17-2020, 08:58 PM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I collect Brown stuff and saw that pin, but passed. It is definitely not authentic from the date listed. The photo used is from a 1964 team photo shoot. Here is a team issue from that shoot:

It has been widely reprinted and was also used to create a press release for the Pro Bowl that year.

So the pin is an anachronism in terms of advertised date.

Now, as to the design, the 3" safety pin format was not used during Brown's career.
Thanks Adam I knew I had seen the photo before now we know where the pin picture came from.. I have a feeling that pic was used on other items...

Old 03-17-2020, 09:13 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Nice sleuthing Adam! Small chance still that it could still be "vintage", but definitely not as early as stated.

Thanks for posting that pic!
Old 03-17-2020, 10:08 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Check VFC

Mark:

I am sure Adam has this nailed but if you want more info you should post it on VFC. Vintage Football Community site.

There are very knowledgeable collectors there. One specific Browns/Jim Brown collector there who may be able to help.

You have to join to post.

https://vintagefootball.discussion.community/categories

If you want to join tell Jeff you know me.

Fred

Last edited by whiteymet; 03-17-2020 at 10:18 PM.