NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-20-2020, 06:27 AM
Tom Boblitt

Default Mike Brockman

Hate to bring bad news to the forum but one of my best friends, Mike Brockman, passed away from a heart attack yesterday. I'm still in shock. Got the call late evening that he'd had a heart attack and talked to his brother shortly afterward who told me that he had passed.

If you know me from shows, you'd know Mike as well. Since about 1996 we hung together at shows. Every National during that time and many other shows from Chicago to Pittsburgh to Louisville to Nashville. Back in the early 1990's, when I was doing mall shows, Mike would come around and buy stuff here and there and I knew him briefly from that. At the 1996 National in Anaheim, my mom and dad went with me and that was when I hooked up with Mike and Dave Willinger--another Louisville friend. From then on, we forged a friendship through cards that grew from there.

Mike was a veterinarian by trade and has three kids--Julia, Leah and Mitchell. Julia and Leah have graduated college and Mitchell is a freshman at University of Cincinnati. His wife Missy is a teacher in our public schools. I can't imagine what they're going through and with this bullshit virus floating around, I couldn't go to the hospital last night.

Mike has always collected vintage cards--Old Judges, T206, BF2's, R312's and just pretty cards that passed the eye test. I always called him the "picky bastard" in the earlier days when he could afford to be more condition conscious. Those standards had to be relaxed in the later years as those cards all became graded and so tough to afford anymore. I think he passed a couple cards shy of R312's and maybe 15-20 BF2's short.

Mike also collected equipment--bats, gloves and balls, bobbin heads, unopened bazooka boxes and other miscellaneous stuff. He has a phenomenal bat collection with ring bats, early Louisville Slugger pieces and decal bats. During a woodworking phase, he built a bat rack for his bats that is sized like a Louisville Slugger rack and just a beautiful piece.

Most of all, Mike was just basically a good, decent man. It can't be put any simpler than that. He worked hard to take care of his family. Put his kids through school and saved for his future. He'd just bought a house at a lake about 1.5 hours from Louisville and had sold his veterinary practice a few years ago and was working as a pay vet for a friend of his. He and Missy planned on retiring in about 5-6 years and planned to move to their lake house. He literally just bought a pontoon about 3-4 weeks ago and was excited about that. His daughter Julia was to be married in August I believe.

Sorry I'm rambling. There are tons of stories as there always are in these situations. I'll end with all the cliche's that we all do--hug your loved ones, take time to tell people you love them and yadda yadda. They always hold true but right now it's tough to adhere to my own thoughts. I know a LOT of good, decent men in this forum and just wanted to share a little about Mike with you who know him and also those who don't. Most of us have that close hobby friend or friends and can understand my angst.

Thanks for listening.....there may be more down the road.
Old 03-20-2020, 06:41 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Very, very sad to hear this. Mike was always great to talk with. We would joke around and he would always remind me of his name. After about 17-20 yrs I think I had just remembered it. Anyone that knows me knows that is normal. I could always count on him for a smile and a laugh. I will miss that. RIP Mike.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:17 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Sad news

I don't recall knowing you guys, but suspect we must have crossed paths at Pittsburgh or the National. I am also a big collector of Bazooka complete boxes and wonder if there might have been a conversation about those somewhere along the line. Condolences to you his friend and his family. Always sad to lose a good hobby guy. Stay safe. RIP Mike.
Old 03-20-2020, 08:00 AM

Unbelieveable......Mike and I go quite a ways back and always enjoyed our time at the National. Very sad news for his family.
Old 03-20-2020, 08:01 AM

Default Sorry for your loss.

Tom,

Sorry for your loss.

Patrick
Old 03-20-2020, 08:16 AM
Matt E.
Banned

Tom,

My deepest sympathies to you at the passing of Mike, as well as his family.

The collecting community has lost a good man and you have lost a dear friend.

I type this with heavy heart for a man who was someone who I looked forward to seeing at National annually.

Mike always made myself and my son, Turner, feel welcome when talking with him in the aisles. He was just was a guy you wanted to be around. He always took the time to and ask about us, instead of what was going on with himself. A true class gentleman.

You just liked Mike instantly upon meeting him, you couldn't help it. He always had a smile and a very positive attitude and you just knew he was having fun collecting whatever he had in his hand / hands at the moment! He will be sadly missed!

Take care Tom,
Rest in peace Mike,

Matt and Turner Engle
Old 03-20-2020, 08:29 AM
Al

What awful news. Mike was a super nice guy, and I was hoping to see him on my next trip through the area.

Condolences to his family and friends, and to you, Tom.

-Al
Old 03-20-2020, 08:44 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: Mike Brockman

Mike was always one of the guys you looked forward to seeing at the National. He will be sorely missed. My deepest sympathies to his family and friends. Rest in peace, Mike.

Ed Hans
Old 03-20-2020, 10:24 AM
Joe Drouillard

Default Sad news

Very sorry to hear the news. My prayers for family and friends.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:50 AM
Matt

This is absolutely shocking news . He’s one of the guys I always looked forward to talking to and hanging out with at the national . An absolutely great guy and friend . Sending thoughts and prayers to his family and friends !

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Old 03-20-2020, 11:49 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

This thread is copied from the front page to let more of Mike's friends (there are many) know of this.
Old 03-20-2020, 02:00 PM

I have been struggling all morning trying to wrap my head around Mike's passing. Thanks Tom for the call and posting this thread. Mike was like a son to me. To long of a story to post here as to how we met but we have been very close for several years. I live 3 1/2 hrs from Louisville, Mike would come down, spend the night at our house and we would talk and work on bats for hours in the shop. We would buy, sell and trade with each other frequently. He would call weekly to chat and check on us. All I can say at this point is my heart is broken and my deepest sympathies go out to his family, Mike was truly a great man and will certainly be missed.
Old 03-20-2020, 04:52 PM

Mike was one of those guys that you wanted to be your friend. He was so easy to talk to. He was all that was good in the hobby. I always looked forward to visiting with him before, during and after the National. He will be missed.

John Gennantonio

Last edited by pedodds; 03-20-2020 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Added name
Old 03-20-2020, 08:35 PM
William Peebles

Oh, man. This is terrible news. It’s been a few since we’ve crossed paths but Mike was always a bright spot in any gathering. He’ll certainly be missed. My deepest condolences to his family, and the three Bills. Rest easy, Mike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.huntingtonbaseballco.com
Old 03-22-2020, 06:02 AM

Default Mike

I'm so sorry to hear this. Mike was one of the nicest guys. Since I am a veterinarian as well, we had many conversations at the national, both about the hobby and our careers. A great guy who will be missed. My condolences to his family and friends.