NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-30-2007, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Default Post War baseball card forum (tab) on Net54 ?

Posted By: leon

My techy guy is out of town so we have about a week to mull it over....I am leaning towards giving it a try and 1979 be the year....but we'll see...regards

Old 07-30-2007, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

ya got me there andrew...

(i meant his 1980 topps rookie)

Old 07-30-2007, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

Paul,

I'll call your Dropo and Mossi and raise you an Andre Rogers and two players I played against in High School--Randy Smith and Clarence "Foots" Walker

Old 07-31-2007, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul S

Jim, I fold!

Old 07-31-2007, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

Adding a post war (1948 - 1980) would be a fun read, I think.

My vote - it has to stop in 1980 because that's when all the shenanigans began (how symbolically appropriate that the last card of signficance within that forum would be Rickey's rookie!?!?) - the first athlete I can recall to routinely talk of himself in the 3rd person!

Boy, do I miss his interviews!
edited to add: I CANNOT WAIT for his HOF induction speech!!!! Ha Ha Ha!

Old 08-06-2007, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

1984 would be a good compromise date, then we can include '84 Donruss which was the first real premium set.

Peter C.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scot Reader

Good idea.

1980 is a logical cut-off for reasons stated by Jeff.

The hobby pretty much jumped the shark in 1981 with the "Craig" Nettles error.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

Great idea!

Old 08-07-2007, 09:47 AM
Administrator

I already have an email into Brian to talk about setting this up. It should be implemented this week. We will do a trial period and monitor it closely as we do everything. I don't make changes too quickly on the site and always have a backup plan (like nixing it). My thought is it will be a tab like the memorabilia tab...it will be set up like the BST pages....and have categories.....possibly like this but open to suggestions:

Baseball cards - Pre-1980
Football cards - ??
Boxing cards - ??
Hockey and other cards - ??

thanks
leon

Old 08-07-2007, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

A tab for: Vintage Golf

please

Old 08-07-2007, 10:18 AM
Administrator

I have no issue with adding that tab but if it only gets 1-2 posts a day wouldn't it be better to include it with another category that is less frequently talked about too? If we did every sport there would be 20 different categories and about a post a day in each one.....I am open though....thanks again...

Old 08-07-2007, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

A golf category may very well only get 1 to 2 posts a day (unless it takes off and does better).

But... here is the key.... I would be sure to visit it regularly. As would anyone else interested in vintage golf. As it grows it becomes an even more cool place to visit (memorabilia is up to 5 pages of posts now).

I would not visit an 'other' category and wade through a bunch of posts about sports
that do not interest me, hoping to find the golf posts. I just wouldn't do it.

I think an 'other' category completely kills the interest of participation.

its just my opinion - and of course the decision is yours.

Just to be clear... I don't mean a separate tab on the homepage.... just a separate category for golf on the page you described (BST-page-like).

So far I would think:
Boxing, Football, Golf might have the biggest following (just a guess)
Hockey as well.
Maybe Basketball?

Thats just 5 as far as I see.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:49 AM
Administrator

No problem here..We can do a golf one too...The BST pages have about 6 categories.....I need to talk with Brian and see what we can do....thanks for your input...btw, your "5" categories left out baseball ......best regards

Old 08-07-2007, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

I say DITTO to Richard Masson's suggestion..1973....And, I will up it one year, as I think the very last set issued in SERIES form
was the 1974 Topps.
And, I say this because all the Washington National cards do include all the San Diego players....Winfield being the most
significant example.

T-Rex TED

Old 08-07-2007, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Hornish

This is great news. I think now the idea of picking a "hard" end date may be elusive and it looks like the consensus is "somewhere in the 1970's" would work. There is not a whole lot of mystery in Topps regular issue cards from 1968 onward but there are loads of test and proof issues that run will into the late 70's (or even 1980 with the very scarce Topps coins from that year). Some of these are harder to find than even some of the toughest caramel and tobacco issues.

You also have your various Fleer/Laughlin sets, Kellogg's and some regionals plus the rise of collector issues in the 70's so there is more than Topps to discuss but I suspect that company will dominate the discussion. I am looking forward to this tab when it goes live.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Ted Z,

The last time Topps produced their cards in series was 1973, after that they issued all their cards at the same time.

'73 would be a good cut-off date.

Peter C.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ken W.

1948 - 1980

Old 08-07-2007, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Ted has a point about 1974 as only the first full sheets from 1-264 (two 132 card half sheets make up a full 264 card sheet) had the Wash variation as I recall. I think they got the news the Padres were staying put midway thru the press run and changed the second printing of the first two half sheets (they missed a rookie card higher up), so in a way they were printed in series. The lower numbers were changed after a run, while the higher numbers were corrected to San Diego. Like I said, it's an interesting time in the Topps world, the 70's.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:30 PM
Administrator

So far it looks like the consensus is a cutoff of 1979...or 1973-74? I guess I will pose the question, since I am leaning that way, "what would it hurt to go to 1979 instead of 1974?" We can do the following categories if it makes sense:

Baseball cards pre-1980 (or whatever year we decide)
Football cards- ?? (need a year to cut off)
Boxing cards- (need a year to cut off)
Golfing cards- ""
Hockey cards- ""
Basketball cards- ""
other sports cards- ""

Did I miss any? Actually I counted 7 areas on the B/S/T so this isn't that big of a deal....whatever everyone wants is fine....
regards

Old 08-07-2007, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Hey- we already have a discussion about post war cards. We beat Leon to the punch.

I think just the fact that there was both Washington and San Diego players suggests those cards were issued in separate print runs, but I don't think the whole set was issued in series.

I think 1973 was the last year.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Guys,

There's no such thing as a high number short-print in 1974 Topps.

Peter C.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:07 PM
Administrator

I'm not sure where the reference to short printed 1974 Topps cards comes from but there is a lot to talk about with Topps other than the annual, regular issue cards. The regular cards from the 70's era feature almost no short prints (70, 71, 78, 79 and 80 do) and even then they are so plentiful as to be irrelevant. I was making the point about how the print run might have progressed and resembled issuance in series.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

This set was printed on 110 card sheets and my understanding is that there were TWO SERIES....1st includes cards #1 - 440.
The 2nd series includes cards #441 - 660.

Initially, included in this 1st series are the 14 - Washington Nationals (last Nat. card is #387). These cards were short-printed....
then Topps printed these cards as San Diego Padres in the subsequent press runs.

In the 2nd series you will find Winfield, Alou, Tolan and Leron Lee....all of which are San Diego ONLY cards.

So, I want you to tell me how this was accomplished without a two series issue ?

I don't think you will be able to explain this with a ONE series issue in 1974 ? ?

TED Z

Old 08-07-2007, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony

Ted-
My recollection from buying packs in 1974 was that they were all issued at once- although this doesn't mean they were all printed at once, merely distributed together.
The first 400 or so cards were laid out with the expectation that the Padres would be moving to Washington. By the time they got to the later sheets they had corrected the info to reflect the Padres staying, but forgot to correct the rookie pitchers card that contained Dave Frisleban (sp?). This was corrected in a later press run, making the SD version tougher than the Washington.
The pack below would seem to confirm this. '73 were issued in series, the last Topps set to do so, but there are also "all series" packs as Topps experimented with what would be their standard procedure by the next year.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul S

...my response to your question: "what would it hurt to go to 1979 instead of 1974?"

I don't think it hurts, but here is my only concern, or at least the way things to shake out with forums:

Cards released later than a stated cutoff date often seem to slip in anyway. I have no problem with that, if issues from a few years later show up, so be it. Sort of in the same way folks here seem to nicely tolerate the occasional Topps/Bowman, et al, thread that shows up in this vintage forum.

In essence it is a matter of perception from the persons who may come upon the site, the earlier the stated cut-off date, the less that slips in from later. Personally, I am for '73-'74 latest, because I am wondering about too much 80s-90s stuff accumulating with a stated '79 cutoff.

It is not always easy to ignore later-card date threads because many times a thread topic doesn't give an indication of what's inside. That is the problem on other sites, which I think are perfectly viable for collectors who seek 80's and later info, i.e., there are a lot of places for others to go to get good info on those -- but nothing else like the solid concentrated niche that could be created here.

My 2 cents (75 cents slabbed.)

Paul S

Old 08-07-2007, 09:00 PM
Administrator

All:

Regarding some recent posts, Topps printed cards on 132 card sheets from 1957 until the late 1980's at least. I erred earlier, the Wash Nat'l variations, as Ted basically points out, run up through #396, or that sheet at least (132, 264, 396, 528, 660 are the multiples), not the sheet ending at #264 (note to self, check sources before posting). The array is twelve rows of eleven cards and many Topps variations are therefore found in multiples of 11 (1958 White/Yellow variations are like this as an example). Topps would double print rows on some sheets, so short and double prints are usually multiples of 11 as well.

1973 Topps was issued in both series and "All 660" form, the first time this was done. 1974 Topps was theoretically issued as a run of one full set but there is some evidence of a multiple series release as well, possibly due to how the cards were inserted into the packs once cut. Sears sold complete sets of 1974 Topps in a display box in their catalog and I wonder which variety of Padres/Wash. cards was in those sets. #599, a four player rookie card, has a Wash variation for one of the players-it wasn't caught apparently. So it seems all the Padres cards were at least proofed as Wash cards first, then changed. The lower numbers must have been printed first, caught, and changed on a second run while the last two sheets were caught and the Wash cards all changed to Padres variants prior to insertion into packs.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

I would absolutely LOVE a basketball board. A vintage board was tried for basketball, but is failing. I also would like boxing, football, and golf.

There is already a vintage hockey board.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/381767/

Alan