NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-06-2007, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Default Sympathy For The Moderator & Everyone Else

Posted By: bcornell

On an endless plane ride back from Cleveland last night, 4.5 hours highlighted by a showing of "Firehouse Dog" and an 18-month-old two rows behind me who wailed some incoherent "gimme" phrase until he passed out, I thought a little bit about moderating this forum. Leon, Elliot and I were in Cleveland and had a few chances to talk about how it's done.

Some people assume that the job is thankless and likely to drive anyone out of the hobby. We all disagreed. In fact, 99.9% of the time, it's a joy. None of us ever did it with a departure date in mind. Among the perks are a chance to correspond with many of the frequent posters, as well as some lurkers. All three of us got plenty of thank you's, certainly a lot more than we deserved. People are, generally, polite, thoughtful and avid about their collecting.

Attending a National means that you get to meet and talk to many of the people on this forum. I have yet to meet a single one that I didn't like. Someone may break this streak, but I've been to the last five and no one's come close so far. I'm betting anyone else who's been to one also feels the same way: collecting is a solitary pursuit, yet meeting others like you is a pleasure, which is why I wish everyone would stop and think twice (or more) before they say anything negative about someone else. It never achieves what you intend and usually gets you the opposite result.

Lurkers are 'in control', in their own way, by not posting, but we all know they're out there and a great forum would be better with their active participation. The best thing Elliot ever did (in his unrepentantly hands-off, non-y'all way) was to make this an open forum where anyone could post. I hear from some that they don't know much about collecting. Try asking a question or making an observation - that's how most people get on board. Frankly, I think a lot of them are savvier than they admit to being.

Post-National, I always get warm & fuzzy. It usually wears off the next Monday at work, but it's fun while it lasts. Remember that we're all in this together.

Bill

Old 08-06-2007, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay

Great post Bill. It was a pleasure speaking with you at the National.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

Bill is so much more erudite than me, but I agree with everything he said.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

Word.

It was great meeting you at the show, Bill. You too, Elliot. You too, Leon. A very nice time.

-Al

Old 08-06-2007, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Leon,

You haven't responded to this post because you probably think it's a thankless job. It really isn't, I'm amazed that you haven't gone out of your mind dealing with hobbyists. It's a pretty diverse group of fanatics. Thank you for a job well-done.

Peter C.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I will only add that I agree with everything Bill said. It's a pleasure to moderate the board 99% of the time. Certainly no "thank you's" needed but they are appreciated. Getting together with everyone at the National makes this hobby so much better for me. I wish everyone could make it....best regards

Old 08-06-2007, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

what an enjoyment indeed! You really feel the strength of the board in conversation with many. What an overall warmth you get with meeting the faces behind the phone calls,purchases,trades,stories...etc. Like you said Bill ,I didnt meet anyone that I did not like either. Leon and I walked nearly all day Friday ,I asked him if he were a speed walking champion. Leon introduced me to the many new faces and a few others pointed out some,thanks for that. I guess we all sorta surprise each other. This is the best time I had at the roughly 4 Nat's I have been too. I bet I could remember all I talked with, but as Joann stated the best way not to forget them is not writing them all down. To all, thanks for your time taken.

-Dan

Old 08-06-2007, 10:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bcornell

I knew I was right . It's a fun exercise to recall everyone I enjoyed meeting for the first time: Matt and Andrew from WA, Jim M, Joann, the Engles, Josh Adams, Alan (aka, Jewish Collector), Al C. I'm leaving out others unintentionally...

Nice to reunite with TBob, Tim N., Elliot, Mike P., Robert S., Darren, Scott Mosley, Mark Macrae, Richard, Scott, Leon, Pat P., Dan K., Adam "Elvis" Warshaw, the legendary Dan Mckee, and many, many others. Most of all Sonny The Mississippi Pilot, who actually flew his own plane up. I took Continental, myself.

Bill

Old 08-07-2007, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh Adams

I just want to add on to what everyone else has said so far.

Thank you Leon for your work and for setting up the Net54 get together (even though American Airlines did their best to make me late for it!).

It was great to meet Leon, Bill, Elliot, and a ton of other people at the show. I had a better time talking to people at the hotel than I did at the show. Although I did pick up a few E93s, which wasn't a total loss!

I'm already counting down the days until Chicago.

Josh

Old 08-07-2007, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

It was truly a pleasure meeting EVERYONE at the dinner/National. I noticed that people are a lot more shy/reserved in person than they are on the network54 forum.

Alan

Old 08-08-2007, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Mosley

Bill,

It was great to hang out with you and so many other collectors whom I've met in the past or met, for the first time, at Cleveland.

There are still several others who I didn't get the pleasure of meeting or chatting with for very long and hope to correct that next year in Chicago.

You are certainly correct about the post-National "high" not lasting long when reading threads like the current Mastro-PSA thread going on.

It was fun while it lasted and events like the National remind one that there are a lot of good people in the hobby despite anything else that you might read to the contrary.