NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-31-2007, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Default 1934-36 Batter Up Tint question

Posted By: Jerry

I own this Batter Up Hubbell in a purple Tint and I have seen this same card in B&W. Old Carboard says that there are 6 different Tints for Low Number cards and 4 different tints in High Numbers. My Question....Is it possible to find the same card in all the 6 different tints or is there a method to the tints.
While were at it, show me some of your tinted batter ups.
Thanks in Advance.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Counts

I started a similar thread about two years ago and received some interesting feedback. One collector said he heard a story that if you took all the versions of every card and put them together, you'd have exactly 1,000 cards. A regular forum contributor, Brad, has a wonderful collection of Lefty Grove variations. Hopefully he will post them here. I've seen b&w, sepia, magenta, red, green and blue versions of many of the low numbers, and I assume all exist in each color. A couple collectors responded that they believe the red is just a variation of magenta, but I disagree. I believe the red and the green variations are by far the toughest. The colors for the high numbers are far more subtle, ranging from greens and blues to b&w and sepia. At first glance, it's often hard to distinguish the color in high numbers. It helps to have a stack of high numbers to look at for a comparison.

While this set is rarely mentioned among anybody's most popular sets, it's my personal favorite. It has lots of HOFers at reasonable prices (at least in the low numbers) and I even collect them without the tops, which is a real cost-saver, especially when looking for high numbers ...

Old 01-31-2007, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Hornish

I did the math on this:

6 colors x 80 low numbers = 480
4 colors x 112 High Numbers = 448
TOTAL = 928

Close but no (Worch) cigar! If you had a 7th color for the lows it would yield 1,008 cards total. Still, 928 is not bad.....

Old 01-31-2007, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: shane

I completed the set in all PSA 5-8 grade not caring about the tint variation and just sold the set last July for $77,000. I too love the set and find them very attractive. As for the tint variation, the post above is correct. I know of one sick person that is actually making the set in all color variations and is lacking 6 for completion. I believe he told me there were 1000 total cards for this master set. I do know that the red variation from the low number set is considered the rariest version.

Shane

Old 01-31-2007, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brad Green

Old 01-31-2007, 10:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jerry

Brad, I like your Grove's alot
Thanks for sharing...I guess they do come in all 6 tints.