NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Old 11-26-2022, 01:43 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Default James J. Jeffries and Jack Johnson brand tobacco

Some ATC research found that Donaldson Cigar Co., in Tampa, registered "Jack Johnson" as a brand for "Cigars, Cigarettes, Cheroots, Little Cigars and Tobacco" in August of 1911.

"James J Jeffries" was registered as a brand for "Cigars" in 1908, by the Los Angeles area St. Elmo Cigar Co.

St. Elmo Cigar was an actual manufacturer, with a facility during this period. I am unclear that Donaldson Cigar is a real firm.

I am not aware of any pack, tin, advertisement, poster, banner, band, wrap, or other material related to these two brands and have never encountered such in my collecting of these two gentlemen. Have any of you encountered any material relating to either of these brands? I suspect they never led to any actual product, but we all know what happens when one assumes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 007A4CBB00000258-0-image-m-27_1429472727691.jpg (115.4 KB, 74 views)
Old 11-26-2022, 07:30 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I recall a Jack Johnson tobacco pouch or packet. I think I have an image. I will check my archives. No cards I am aware of.

There is a Jeffries branded cigar box. Again, I will have to check my images archive. No cards I am aware of.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-27-2022, 03:34 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

It would be appreciated. Some of us are trying to figure out these firms and the timing, in relation to the fighters' contracts with AL that might aid in piecing some things together. I'm not sure Donaldson is even a real company yet. Any images may help narrow the document search
Old 11-27-2022, 04:19 PM
P@trick R.omolo

Greg, I found this yesterday and I meant to send it to you yesterday but I ended up down another rabbit hole and never got around to it.

I don't know if it's even related to the Tampa Donaldson cigar company or not.

It's from February 18 1912
img215.jpg
Old 11-27-2022, 04:53 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Here are links to Jeffries cigar boxes:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...igar-505861396

https://www.josportsinc.com/products...ox-early-1900s

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 11-27-2022 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-27-2022, 05:11 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
Greg, I found this yesterday and I meant to send it to you yesterday but I ended up down another rabbit hole and never got around to it.

I don't know if it's even related to the Tampa Donaldson cigar company or not.

It's from February 18 1912
Attachment 544532
I emailed you on the less than hot findings I had from the Donaldson & Elmes angle.

This notice is a few months after the Tampa Donaldson is listed as signing Johnson under the Donaldson name, but these types of minor news were often delayed months, and the locations listed are not always where the firms were actually physically located but where something was filed.

A Donaldson & Isett tobacco firm was incorporated in February 1910, by Frank L. Donaldson, Jay H. Isett and Edward Malmberg in Chicago. I believe this must be the same as Donaldson and Islett. Once again, spellings of names that would be pronounced very different from some of the spellings crops up. Bion/Bien/Bionter are the same, Isett and Islett must be. Source is the US Tobacco Journal (https://www.google.com/books/edition...sec=frontcover)

They were at 1016 209 State Street in 1910 (https://www.google.com/books/edition...sec=frontcover)

They are mentioned in several other resources for 1910. In 1913 they are still listed as a certified company in Illinois under the Donaldson name (https://www.google.com/books/edition...sec=frontcover). After 1913, I'm not coming up with anything.

Looks like this company changed names again or was short lived. It may well be the firm referenced as registering Johnson in Tampa. Johnson lived in Chicago during this time and for many years. He had several business interests in the city, including a club he opened in 1912. I would suspect this is probably the registering company. Whether it is an independent startup or one of the numerous official and unofficial subsidiaries of the linked monopolies I can't find yet, but will dig into the owners for Knapp/Duke connections. Both had deals beyond card rights with AL in 1910 as you found, at least. If these possible pouch and box are from the 1908-1912 period it may be helpful.
Old 11-27-2022, 05:11 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Thank you!