NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 11-16-2022, 10:52 AM

Default 2nd Chance Offers

I bid on a modern patch/auto recently. I kept getting bid up in the last hour. I ended up losing the item, with the final sale price just under the last sales price of a similar item. I got a 2nd Chance Offer from the seller.

With all the events regarding shill bidding and some well known sellers, I am wary of 2nd chance offers in these situations. Anyone else have this happen?
Old 11-16-2022, 11:01 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Wheat View Post
I bid on a modern patch/auto recently. I kept getting bid up in the last hour. I ended up losing the item, with the final sale price just under the last sales price of a similar item. I got a 2nd Chance Offer from the seller.

With all the events regarding shill bidding and some well known sellers, I am wary of 2nd chance offers in these situations. Anyone else have this happen?
I see these as black and white. Is the offer at a price I am willing to pay or not?
Old 11-16-2022, 11:05 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Sometimes it’s from shilling. Sometimes it’s because a ton of modern collectors renege on their bids and don’t pay.

Usually you can tell which it is based on how long after auction close you get the offer. Next day? They shilled you, reject it. A week later? Probably a non paying bidder.
Old 11-16-2022, 11:08 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Sometimes it’s from shilling. Sometimes it’s because a ton of modern collectors renege on their bids and don’t pay.

Usually you can tell which it is based on how long after auction close you get the offer. Next day? They shilled you, reject it. A week later? Probably a non paying bidder.
Do we feel any better about it if it's a nonpaying bidder? Some moron who decided that they just had to beat you to win the auction, and then realizes that they actually aren't willing to pay that much?

I suppose the intent is a bit different. But they would both piss me off equally, if for somewhat different reasons.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 11-16-2022, 11:15 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
Do we feel any better about it if it's a nonpaying bidder? Some moron who decided that they just had to beat you to win the auction, and then realizes that they actually aren't willing to pay that much?

I suppose the intent is a bit different. But they would both piss me off equally, if for somewhat different reasons.
It matters to me. Obviously I am willing to pay my top bid for the card. But I think ethics matter, and I do not deal with scammers and fraudsters no matter what cards they are offering me at what price (including most auction houses). A seller shilling and cheating me to get my max bid to offer me the card at my max price is unethical. It makes me decide they can piss off and I won’t buy it at any price.

If another bidder ruined the auction for the seller, somebody still did wrong but that person is not the seller. We are both victims by the jackass in this situation. Thus I have no problem forking over my bid to the seller, who did nothing wrong.

I certainly understand not caring and paying it in either case because you are willing to pay that price, but I value not giving money to crooks more than I do getting the card.

Last edited by G1911; 11-16-2022 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-16-2022, 11:16 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
It matters to me. Obviously I am willing to pay my top bid for the card. But I think ethics matter, and I do not deal with scammers and fraudsters no matter what cards they are offering me at what price (including most auction houses). A seller shilling and cheating me to get my max bid to offer me the card at my max price is unethical. It makes me decide they can piss off and I won’t buy it at any price.

If another bidder ruined the auction for the seller, somebody still did wrong but that person is not the seller. We are both victims by the jackass in this situation. Thus I have no problem forking over my bid to the seller, who did nothing wrong.

I certainly understand not caring and paying it in either case because you are willing to pay that price, but I value not giving money to crooks more than I do getting the card.
Good points!

But the morons who bid like drunken sailors with no intention of actually paying still piss me off to high heaven.

1963 Post complete panel
Old 11-16-2022, 11:20 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Good points!

But the morons who bid like drunken sailors with no intention of actually paying still piss me off to high heaven.
They are yet another reason I miss when eBay didn’t hide bidder names. At this point I would almost prefer eBay to force display of everybody’s name and address so I can send these folks strongly worded letters of disapproval.
Old 11-16-2022, 11:23 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
They are yet another reason I miss when eBay didn’t hide bidder names. At this point I would almost prefer eBay to force display of everybody’s name and address so I can send these folks strongly worded letters of disapproval.
HA.

In the olden days, you could even email another bidder.

I remember I was working an auction against another fellow on a card. We were going back and forth. In the end, he won. And then he started sending taunting emails. And not just a few. Kept going for a while, and finally, I just blocked him.

So I'm okay with losing that functionality.

1963 Post complete panel
Old 11-16-2022, 02:18 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
HA.

In the olden days, you could even email another bidder.

I remember I was working an auction against another fellow on a card. We were going back and forth. In the end, he won. And then he started sending taunting emails. And not just a few. Kept going for a while, and finally, I just blocked him.

So I'm okay with losing that functionality.
Oh, I remember that happening quite a bit if I sniped something from someone.

I would just reply with "It's not my fault you don't understand how this site works." and a block.

Yes, the anonymity works well.

I also had a couple people that would watch my bids to locate items as they had similar collecting interests. I hated that more than anything. Glad that was stopped too.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 11-16-2022, 07:51 PM
Al Richter

I Snipe bid at what I am willing to pay. If I get it fine. If not fine. No 2nd chances.
Old 11-17-2022, 02:43 AM

Quote:

The 2nd chance offer was about 12 hours after the end of the auction - pretty quick in my eyes.
Old 11-17-2022, 07:12 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Wheat View Post
The 2nd chance offer was about 12 hours after the end of the auction - pretty quick in my eyes.
Are you going to buy it?

At some point we all have to decide what we can tolerate. I have learned if you avoid everybody that has done something bad in this hobby you will have to avoid everybody. I agree with never buying from the DMs of the world but there are many many legit reasons a seller can offer you the second chance fairly quickly after a auction ends.
Old 11-17-2022, 07:55 AM
Bill Cauley

I had that happen to me once, though it was awhile ago. If I recall correctly, the 2nd chance offer came back within a few hours of the auction completion. I didn't accept it though I don't remember why anymore.

I'd say if you want the card and are happy with the price, just go for it. The odds of you ever finding out what really happened are slim to none. Almost two years ago I had someone bid on a Topps Chrome Russell Wilson RC (football) three minutes before the auction ended. They won and not 2 minutes after the auction ended they messaged me asking if I could cancel the sale to them. No idea why or what the deal was but I just did it and relisted instead of sending a 2nd chance offer. Ended up selling for $30 more in the end.
Old 11-17-2022, 09:37 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Good points!

I'd still be wary and careful of getting a second chance offer even if it were days after the auction ended, and not just immediately or hours after. Assuming if the offer comes say a week after the auction originally ended that it indicates the original buyer must have somehow cancelled, backed out, or simply ended up being a non-paying auction winner, might not be very smart. I tend to believe most shillers, scammers, and frauds aren't completely stupid. And if they've been at something like this, shilling and then dropping a 2nd chance offer on the party they couldn't entice to bid even higher, for a while, they may have already picked up and figured out that making the 2nd chance offer immediately or soon after the auction ended tends to make the party they're trying to shill and scam very suspicious. And as a result they quickly learn to wait a few days before making the 2nd chance offer to make it seem the alleged auction winner really did back out/not pay.
Old 11-17-2022, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Are you going to buy it?

At some point we all have to decide what we can tolerate. I have learned if you avoid everybody that has done something bad in this hobby you will have to avoid everybody. I agree with never buying from the DMs of the world but there are many many legit reasons a seller can offer you the second chance fairly quickly after a auction ends.
No.
Old 11-17-2022, 12:57 PM
Steve Birmingham

How unusual of a cad is it?

12 hours seems way too quick unless.... there's a chance they have a second one?

That happened to me on a cycling jersey. Family member listing his fathers 48 Olympic Jersey, Bid went well, but I was underbidder, and got a second chance offer in a similar time frame.
Talked with a friend, and he figured if it was shilling it would be relisted, and if he really had two the second one would be listed eventually.

About a week later, he listed a second one that was in better condition. And I ended up winning it for less than I would have paid the first time around.
Old 11-18-2022, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
How unusual of a cad is it?

12 hours seems way too quick unless.... there's a chance they have a second one.....
It was a patch/auto of a rookie...pop 50, so not rare. But as we see often there are a lot of variations so a 1 of 50 is really more like a 1 of 2,000. I ended up buying a variation from another seller for less.
Old 11-19-2022, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I see these as black and white. Is the offer at a price I am willing to pay or not?
i'm kind of in the same boat. also depends on how high on my want list the card is. but i do get a leery feeling when those 2nd chance offers come up.