NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 02-19-2021, 05:37 PM
Doug Goodman

Default Tatis contract

In honor of Fernando Tatis, Jr. signing a $340mil deal after playing 143 ML games, I would like to present these two items from my collection.

Doug
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Auto-Fidrych Mark.jpg (75.7 KB, 271 views)
File Type: jpg Pennant - Other - Mark Fidrych small.jpg (77.8 KB, 271 views)

Last edited by doug.goodman; 02-19-2021 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-19-2021, 06:17 PM
Tim Odeen

I didn't know anything about this guy. I had to look him up. I guess a more modern example that I could relate to is Rick Ankiel..... although Ankiel was skilled enough to return as an outfielder.
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 02-19-2021, 10:15 PM
Dave

It's the only way a franchise like the Padres can wrap somebody like Tatis up, through the entirety of his prime.

It's a big gamble for the Padres but if he even comes close to reaching his potential, it will be a bargain (cough, cough) for the Padres at $24 Million a year.

To put it in perspective, 7 years ago, the Yankees gave a 30 year-old injury prone Jacob Ellsbury, a $21+ Million a year, 7 year contract.

Unless Tatis suffers a brutal injury, I think this will work out much better for the Padres.
Old 02-20-2021, 01:49 AM
Dave Foster

Default Tatis Jr.

Short career so far, but the kid's a helluva ballplayer. Potential in spades. Still, I'm betting inside of 3 years, he'll claim he's underpaid and cry and whine to renegotiate. To keep him fat and happy, the Padre clownocracy will have to make him a part owner of any renegotiation cuz the Pads' pockets are barren. Book it!
Old 02-20-2021, 07:03 AM
Jamie

What I found most interesting is he was one of the minor leaguers that signed an agreement with that investor/former Phillies minor leaguer firm to provide him up front money (while in minors) for a % of his future earnings. From what I read that firm will make $30mm. It just seems odd that he was a son of a former big leaguer, so you would think at that time he had some access to cash.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fernand...es-11613732572

Last edited by Schlesinj; 02-20-2021 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:34 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
I didn't know anything about this guy. I had to look him up. I guess a more modern example that I could relate to is Rick Ankiel..... although Ankiel was skilled enough to return as an outfielder.
Damn, I'm old.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:58 AM

I remember when Jon Singleton signed a 10 year / 10 million dollar contract with the Astros before ever appearing in a major league game and most current players thought he was stupid and that the Astros robbed him.

Jon Singleton went on to have more career strikeouts than games played in a two season career.

Take the money always but what are the Padres paying for? It's not going to amount to ticket sales. The Padres will never be a hot ticket. I think you'd have to win 2 or 3 titles for that tag to be worth it.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:53 AM
J@RR0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I remember when Jon Singleton signed a 10 year / 10 million dollar contract with the Astros before ever appearing in a major league game and most current players thought he was stupid and that the Astros robbed him.

Jon Singleton went on to have more career strikeouts than games played in a two season career.
Thanks for posting this. I was going through a box of cards this weekend and ran across a RC of his. Always wondered what happened, as he was hot in 2010 or so.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:07 PM

2021 will be Singleton's final contract year. Not bad for a guy who hasn't played in organized baseball since 2017.
Old 03-04-2021, 06:39 AM
Al Richter

Doug— had not realized before how old you really are
Old 03-06-2021, 04:22 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Doug— had not realized before how old you really are
Because of my "youthful good looks"?
Old 03-10-2021, 02:00 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

It was the first crazy sports contract of my lifetime where I did the math and first thing I though of was "jeez. . . .I might not be alive to see how this turns out . . . "
Old 03-25-2021, 08:06 AM

Well not to be outdone in a smaller way, the Astros have given Lance McCullers an 85 million dollar extension. Not bad for a guy who hasn't won more than 10 games in a season or pitched more than 128 innings.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:16 AM

Uh oh
Old 04-06-2021, 09:57 AM
Dave

Ok, I originally thought this was a good signing by the Padres...........and then I just read.

Quote:
Tingler said then that Tatis had been dealing with left shoulder discomfort since his minor league days. Tatis later said he'd had it since rookie ball.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:37 AM

I think Conforto had a similar injury and doesn't seem too hampered by it now. Still though, from my understanding this is the type of injury that has the potential to lead to recurring dislocations.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:11 AM
Bill Gregory

That they had to make an announcement his shoulder injury wouldn't require surgery...almost frightens me more than if he needed it, if I'm a Padres fan.

On some level, it feels like ownership was not only giving fans a sigh of relief, but they were somehow trying to justify what they spent. As in, "he's not damaged, and after some rest, he can play again."

He was OPSing .619 when we went down. Small sample size, but...

I get that they felt they had to sign him long term, but no matter how proactive I'm being as a team, trying to lock him in long term at what will eventually be a bargain--I'm waiting to see him play one full season, minimum, first. And no, playing 59 of 59 games in 2020 doesn't count.

I'm getting a bad vibe from this.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:20 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

I'm just relieved to have gotten outbid on a few of his shiny rookie auto cards the week after he signed the contract.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:54 AM

I'm trying to wait and vulture one just in case. I did the same thing with Julio Urias and it looks like maybe it'll work out for me.