NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-16-2009, 08:54 PM

Default Early Baseball/Football Equipment Estate Auction Find

My Dad had a very good day this week at an estate auction. He had quite the haul of circa 1905 to 1909 baseball and football memoribilia from the estate of an Ursinus College athlete (although the price wasn't cheap, he is ecstatic with what he came home with).

I included many photos below and have questions about some of the specific items. The items included a circa 1906 White and Black pill box style cap, another early grey and green baseball cap, a nice Morrill Football Noseguard, a turn of the century Spalding Figure 8 baseball, a beautiful Reach Red and Blue stitched baseball, 3 Cabinet photos, a few RPPCs, 4 oversized Ursinus pennants, an early Spalding light colored Glove, an early but rough Victor glove, 11 red and blue stitch baseballs in rough condition, a pair of early football shoulder pads, and 2 sleeve extenders?

The Pillbox cap has some condition issues with some of the black striping missing in areas, some moth eaten areas, and fabric loss. Despite this aging, the cap still retains its original label which is Arthur Johnson & Company Athletic Supply of New York.

Next a closeup of the other baseball cap, which has no tagging, and consists of a brown brim and button, a grey top with green striping.

Then the early Spalding figure 8 baseball. The Spalding mark is still visible although partially obscured by wear. There is also other lettering below the Spalding mark on the sweet spot, that I cannot make out, although I suspect it reads Eureka. This ball is slighly smaller than the red and blue stitched balls measuring at 8 inches in circumference. The stitching of this ball is blue.
Can anyone help me with dating this ball? Did Spalding make other balls other than the Eureka brand?

The noseguard is a metal Morrill nose mask with a patent date of 1891.

Next is the Reach ball. This ball is in beautful shape and looks unused. The markings are the Reach trademark, Official American League BAll, and Warranted, 5 oz, 9 in. 1 Oz Rubber.

Can anyone help me with the date of this ball as well?

I am going to post the rest of the photos in a reply because I posted too many photos

Last edited by vintagesportflips; 09-16-2009 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:57 PM

Default Estate Auction Find

The Spalding Glove has a yellow and red Spalding tag, and is a lighter tan color. Do you guys think this is a white glove just dirtied to a tan color with time?

The Victor glove has no visible marks or tagging but does read Victor on the Button. This glove has a period sewn repair job in the pocket and is in pretty rough condition.

Has anyone come across these before? At first I didn't know what they were, but I assume they were used to button to a short sleeve jersey to make it a long sleeve jersey

The shoulder pads have no markings and as you can see, in the football cabinet photo, identical pads are sewn to the shoulders of the players sweaters.

Some other photos include 4 early Ursinus pennants, a couple of the better condition red and blue stitched balls, and a 1909 Ursinus baseball team RPPC

Old 09-16-2009, 09:07 PM
William Peebles

I think your Reach American League ball is pre-1909. A true dead ball as it predates the cork center ball.

By the way, I got so caught up in the imagery that I forgot to congratulate you on your amazing find! Unbelievable.

Last edited by william_9; 09-16-2009 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:07 PM

Default Pillbox Cap

Thanks alot for the info on the Reach ball, William, and also thanks for the kind words.

Also, my dad found the following photo in Ursinus's online archives, and as you can see, the Pillbox matches to the ones worn by this 1906 Ursinus baseball team.

Last edited by vintagesportflips; 09-16-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:36 AM

Default Spalding Ball

I found the following on 19cbaseball.com, and am fairly certain that the marking below the Spalding mark on the figure 8 ball reads Amateur, not Eureka.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:39 AM
Chris Wood

Default Great items!

wow! great stuff!

just what i love to collect. i agree that the reach ball is an early one. try posting the glove pics on www.vintagegloveforum.com - you will be sure to find out more. chris
Old 09-17-2009, 11:37 AM
Dan Bretta

Keith, you and your dad have done it again. What an amazing haul. That Reach baseball is just a beauty! and I bet that Pillbox cap is the same one that one of those fella's in the photo is wearing. Just amazing stuff!
Old 09-17-2009, 04:36 PM

Default Estate Find

Thanks guys; Chris I will take your advice and post over on the glove forum. And Dan, yes, my dad and I have had some good luck lately at the estate auction game. Thats the fun in estate auctions, you never know what will turn up, and sometimes the driving and waiting around pays off.