NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-25-2014, 07:28 AM
David Seid.eman

Default Did Your Mother Throw Your BB Cards Out?

You won't believe what these collectors lost when their mothers threw their cards out?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidsei...aseball-cards/
Old 06-25-2014, 07:41 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I am going crazy ....Two different articles and both are good. I am having more coffee!!

Last edited by Leon; 06-25-2014 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:02 AM
Val Kehl

One day, after I had finished college, gotten married, and had 4 rugrats (3 of them boys), Mom called out of the blue to inform me that she and Dad were cleaning out their storage area and had come across a couple of boxes of my baseball cards (I collected during the years 1955-1960). Mom asked if I wanted them or if she should toss them. After a bit of thought, thinking that my toddlers might get interested in card collecting when they got older, I asked her to hold onto them until I next visited and retrieved them. At that time, I never imagined that my interest in collecting would ever be rekindled. My boys never got interested in baseball or card collecting - they became soccerholics, along with most of their neighborhood buddies. But, thankfully, when my collecting interest did get rekindled years later, I still had my childhood collection!
Val
Old 06-25-2014, 10:16 AM
David McDonald

What a great article! A real nice walk down Memory Lane for this ancient kid. A shoebox full of '50's Topps baseball, football, basketball and hockey, autographed Yankee scorecards, stacks of Superman comics, Mad magazines, my Rin Tin Tin bugle boy cap and my Davy Crockett coonskin hat - all landfill courtesy of Mom. Somewhere deep down inside my inner child is still pissed off.

A minor quibble: you might want to fix the reference to the 1910 Topp's throwback set.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:20 AM
M!ke S@il£r

Before the Ebay days, there was always the assumption that a ton of collections were thrown away by Mom. After Ebay, I think we have learned that Mom didn't throw out quite as many cards as once thought.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:08 AM
Zach

Nope... but I wish she would have. Now I've got a few boxes full of early 90's Donruss, Bowman, and Topps sitting around in my closet.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:17 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Lost all my cards, except for one. '68 OPC Orr
Old 06-25-2014, 01:01 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagecpa View Post
Before the Ebay days, there was always the assumption that a ton of collections were thrown away by Mom. After Ebay, I think we have learned that Mom didn't throw out quite as many cards as once thought.
+1

I think that the "Mom threw the cards out" rumors were started by dealers back in the day.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:18 PM

My mom saved all my cards until I was out of college and then gave them to me. All from 1966-1970. Thanks Mom!
I always wondered why Moms threw out so many real cards when grandpa kept so many fakes in the attic.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:19 PM

Default all gone

My Mom thru out my Mad and Cracked mags, all my comics, and civil war cards, Mars Attacks and early 60's baseball cards. Still makes me sad to think about it.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:34 PM
Cain J.

Default Love You Grandma

My grandmother saved my cards in the attic of her house. She surprised me with all my toys, cards, everything she could store from my childhood when I bought my house a few years ago. Her quote was something like this "You always said these damn things were going to be worth something so I saved them. Love you"
Old 06-25-2014, 02:05 PM
Dave H@rford

Default Bad Memories

In the 1970's, I used to be a meticulous baseball and football card collector. I remember, even at 10 years old, trading multiple cards (even stars) to get the "most perfect" card I could find from all my collecting friends. I was only a set collector at that time. I never used rubber bands. My father built a wooden case, bottom felt lined, that slide under my bed. Allthough I cannot remember exactly my collection, I likely had near complete NM/Mint sets from 1969 to 1978, both in baseball and football.

In late 1978, my father and step-mother had a falling out, and my father, brother and I moved out over the Christmas holidays. Divorce ensured quickly. I later received a card with a photo of my prior step-brothers burning my collection, as my step-mother told them that I no longer wanted the cards.

It took me 15 years to restart collecting cards after that.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:54 PM
Jimmy

Default Did Your Mother Throw Your BB Cards Out?

My Dad's mom trashed all his 1933 and 1934 Goudey cards back in the 1980s, when I was about 9 he was going to give them to me - but my Nana said I throw out everything last summer.

I did not collect pre-war at the time, I was just getting into the cards so much, my Dad thought it would be a good time to give them to me

Jimmy

Last edited by jbsports33; 06-25-2014 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:00 PM

Default My mom......

and Dad got me hooked on cards cause I loved baseball since I was 5....My mom saved my cards.....She got me an uncut sheet of '82 topps as a kid from a card show in TOMS RIVER NEW JERSEY at a mall show.....the sheet got damage on it, and folded a few times over the years, but she still kept it for me.!!!.....there is a damage to the
RIPKEN on it....its a piece I will treasure to the day I die......

a story of a mom who saved her kids cards
Old 06-25-2014, 03:13 PM
Ke.n K0hen

Yes, she did - either threw them out or gave them to a neighbor kid (she couldn't remember which). That's all I have to say on the matter as I'd rather not talk about it.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:11 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcohen View Post
Yes, she did - either threw them out or gave them to a neighbor kid (she couldn't remember which). That's all I have to say on the matter as I'd rather not talk about it.
Hey Ken,
I wonder if these were the cards your BIL Barry P. (he was a neighbor, right?) gave me after he tired of them!
Just teasin' ya,
Val
Old 06-25-2014, 04:35 PM
Dave_Berg

Mom didn't throw out BB cards.... but she did toss all my Silver Age Spider-Man comics
Old 06-25-2014, 07:22 PM
Bill Boyd

Wow, that article could have been about me!!!!!
Almost everything to a tee, right down to my last name (Boyd). the only difference, while I was in the service, my dad told my mother to throw them out. About the same years of cards too, mid 50s to mid 60s. Rubber bands and all. Wow.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:51 PM
pete ullman

My mother knew better than to throw any baseball related anything away...I sold my childhood collection 0f late 70's-early 80's complete sets and most star cards from the late 50's-present through Mel Solomon...anyone out there know Mel? He belonged to my temple growing up in northern NJ...and I gave him my collection and asked for $1000...which he dripped to me as he sold cards and when I was made whole...he kept the rest.

I wanted the cash for a 77' camaro as I had previously totalled the 76 granada.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:36 PM
Ken McMillan

Saved mine from mom and it grew into vintage collecting.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:39 PM
Mikeknapp

My Grandmother toss my father's cards from the 40's and 50's . He learned a painful lesson and thankfully all of mine survived girls and college debauchery.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:52 PM
Jim H

I grew up in the 1970's and my mom collected antiques so she knew not to throw out my cards. In fact, she used to drive me to baseball card shows in the Flint and Detroit area. She laughed saying middle age men carrying briefcases full of cards. Now, I mention to her that I am middle age and still collecting.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:23 PM
Ben North

I was already out of the house by the time I started collecting. On the other end of the scale my younger brother(38) just got his cards(99% junk era) out of our parents house a couple months ago.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:13 PM
Vernon Fabre

Default She threw them out, but they weren't worth much

It's kind of funny but I can vividly remember riding my bike with a 1962 Topps Mantle clothes pinned to the spokes! I was 11 years old back then and a group of us neighborhood kids would get together with our stacks of cards fastened with a tight red rubber-band and play games of toss. And we all had multiple cards fastened to our bike wheels.... Yes, Mom through my cards out, but I don't think they would be worth much today in the condition I remember.... Nice to recall those memories.....

Vernon Fabre
Old 06-26-2014, 07:08 PM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

I started after value was well known. The tragedy is my dad's shoebox. It wasn't thrown out, it was sold for $20 two years before I started collecting. A full box of 1958-1960 Topps, with some of my uncles 1948 Bowmans.

Tags
baseball cards, mickey mantle, topps, willie mays