NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 05-19-2021, 06:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

By the way:

Exception: Be very careful not to confuse "deferring to an authority on the issue" with the appeal to authority fallacy. Remember, a fallacy is an error in reasoning. Dismissing the council of legitimate experts and authorities turns good skepticism into denialism. The appeal to authority is a fallacy in argumentation, but deferring to an authority is a reliable heuristic that we all use virtually every day on issues of relatively little importance. There is always a chance that any authority can be wrong, that’s why the critical thinker accepts facts provisionally. It is not at all unreasonable (or an error in reasoning) to accept information as provisionally true by credible authorities. Of course, the reasonableness is moderated by the claim being made (i.e., how extraordinary, how important) and the authority (how credible, how relevant to the claim).

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-19-2021, 07:00 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Last edited by G1911; 04-24-2022 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-19-2021, 07:04 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Last edited by G1911; 04-24-2022 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-19-2021, 07:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

So what's your explanation (speculation, whatever) as to why this particular group of scientists and statisticians, obviously representing a broad swath of institutions around the world, and not obviously biased or beholden to anyone, came to the conclusions they did and concluded that the prior studies did not apply to the COVID-19 pandemic?

I need to understand that, I think, before simply rejecting this study out of hand for the sole reason it disagreed with prior studies.

I am not by the way merely assuming they are right, for better or worse I found their exposition fairly persuasive. Now granted this science is above my pay grade, but in my chosen profession I have had to learn a lot of complex subject matters and think for a layperson I am pretty good at it. (Must be a logical fallacy there lol.)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-19-2021 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-19-2021, 07:37 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Last edited by G1911; 04-24-2022 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-19-2021, 07:52 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post

...the months of abuse and hostility have certainly made me refuse to participate...
Has this abuse occurred on Net54, in real life, or a blend of the two?

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 05-19-2021, 08:07 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I do not know, I cannot disparage the motive of people I do not know. If I have to give a reason, and I don't think I should as it is pure speculation and I do not personally like to engage in pure speculation, it is because people find what they want to find when it becomes a highly emotional issue. In 2019, masks were not emotional. It was almost universally understood that they did not do anything to stop airborne transmission of viruses, and this was borne out in numerous studies, which was not surprising as they have large gaps and were not designed for this purpose whatsoever. In January 2021 when this appears to have been done, masks were and are a highly emotional (I think this thread can be used as evidence there) issue, and those who don't go with the narrative can expect a torrent of hostility directed there way, while those who do use them generally are heavily invested in it as a signal of virtue and morality.

I am not a scientist, I am not an expert in viruses, nor a doctor of any kind. I run an analytics department in a medtech company. I trust statistical data, good data used appropriately. I have to trust good old common sense (why would a mask with large gaps be expected to stop transmission of an airborne disease?) when I have nothing better to go off of. Science pronounces many things that are wrong (if we accept these studies now, then science before late March 2020 was wildly incorrect). I think the tendency we have drifted towards in recent years of treating "science" almost as a religion never to be questioned is foolish. I love the Socratic, I like the Scientific Method, I do not like this new "ignore what we said before, and do not question what we say now", especially when it flies in the face of the available data. I certainly will not be avoiding family and friends, wearing a mask that statistically does nothing to prevent a risk that is almost non-existant and injecting experimental drugs into myself because so many have brought into the fear flavor of the month. The narrative simply does not align with the evidence, and the anger and castigation I face on a daily basis for simply not partaking in the popular panic (I have never told anyone else that they should make the same choice I do, or that they can't wear a mask or get a vaccine, I simply am not participating along with you and disagree) only makes me want to have even less to do with this. I came to my conclusion on evidentiary grounds, but the months of abuse and hostility have certainly made me refuse to participate even moreso. All of us compromise what we know to be to get along sometimes (No, my girlfriend is not a good cook, but yes I tell her she is for the sake of harmony), but when the demand is that I reshape my life and pretend to be terrified of a statistically insignificant fear and never question the narrative of the state and the vocal part of the public, I think it reaches a level of absurdity in which the right thing is to refuse to be party to it.
I read some of the evidence differently than you do, and would take issue with some of your characterizations, but I respect the position you have articulated and find it more engaging to discuss than someone who simply comes in with a conspiratorial, denialistic perspective.

Old 05-19-2021, 08:11 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Old 05-19-2021, 08:14 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Old 05-19-2021, 08:17 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
This is a very positive ending. Thank you for a fun debate
Thanks to you as well, enjoyed it.

Old 05-20-2021, 07:25 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

Debate without name-calling??
Without my side yelling that your side is going to ruin America?

WTF?
Old 05-27-2021, 10:02 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
CDC article from 2009...

https://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/masks.htm

I'll infer that didn't give a crap about the health of others and failed to wear a mask as recommended by the CDC.
Did you even read that? Specifically table 1 they refer to in the main text?
Persons who had no increased risk of serious illness did NOT have masks recommended.

Compared to Covid, during 2009-10 H1N1 was a minor leaguer. Totally unlike the version from 1918.
https://www.healthline.com/health/h1n1-vs-covid-19

Harder to catch, nearly always not much more than a bad cold.
The comparison isn't even close.
Old 05-27-2021, 10:05 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
And you should read fully. I'm guessing you didn't click on the link that provided a table.
Conveniently leaving off the headings of those columns. The first is pretty much everyone the second is people at risk of serious disease.

Cherry picking data makes for a weak argument.
Old 05-27-2021, 10:34 AM
Steve Birmingham

Masks are effective, something I believe the CDC dropped the ball on at the beginning.
While most aren't fine enough to filter out some virus sized particles, some are.
Surprisingly including some of the finer HVAC filters used mostly in labs.
Even more surprisingly, the non-woven fabric many reusable shopping bags are made from is very nearly equivalent to N-95, sometimes probably better. It's just not certified as a healthcare filter material.

What they do, and should have been obvious is to slow down the exhaled air, giving the particles less push to travel the same distance in the air.
In other filtering situations, it's also well known that any filter is better than none.

A video showing the difference in different situations.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNCNM7AZPFg

And another explaining how much is stopped by what from a study using actual Covid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GndKYJ4uBI

I live in a city with a fairly high asian population, and it wasn't at all unusual to see someone -especially the elderly wearing masks before this, even outside of flue season.
Old 05-27-2021, 02:05 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
I am not referencing Net54 at all.

I live in the SF Bay Area, where even quietly going about your business without partaking is at best seen as highly problematic. The emotional investment in the narrative runs very deep. At the height people would literally call the cops if someone was taking a walk outdoors without a mask (even though this technically escaped most of the states mandates). I’ve seen just how loving and tolerant my caring neighbors are with anyone who disagrees with their key narratives. It’s gotten slightly better, but still difficult to go out anywhere without some throwing a profane tantrum.
Move to Texas.

I got my vaccine because of what I have read and seen. Statistically it is better to have one. To say otherwise seems to be contrary to the vast majority of health professionals opinions and research I have read. Ane at this point I am not wearing a mask where I am not required to. If people want to wear one, awesome, if they don't, awesome. I don't care any longer because anyone who wants a vaccine can get one. If they get Covid it's on them not me. And I am aware that the efficacy rate of the vaccines isn't 100% but it's 94%- 95%, so I am taking my chances. I am also aware we don't know of long term side effects. I still think the I made the right decision for me. To each their own.

Old 05-27-2021, 02:58 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Last edited by G1911; 04-24-2022 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-28-2021, 11:11 AM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
At the height people would literally call the cops if someone was taking a walk outdoors without a mask (even though this technically escaped most of the states mandates).
That is so ridiculous, especially given that when you look at the reality of how COVID is usually passed: being in close quarters for at least 15 minutes with someone infected. Some health experts (real ones, not extreme political propaganda lunacy) have said as much, and it also makes sense realistically, as how many people claim that they probably got COVID from taking a jog in public without a mask? It's been pretty clear that situations like locker rooms, homes, packed spring break parties, etc seem to have been responsible for most of the spread.

But of course not many experts wanted to come out with such info since it's taboo in these spots to publicize anything but the most overly cautious advice.

So if someone called the cops on me for walking around w/o a mask in open areas that were far from back-to-back people, my problem wouldn't be the "muh rights" part, but the sheer idiocy of considering it a COVID issue
Old 05-28-2021, 12:41 PM
Jeff H

I spent this past winter in the Orlando area of Florida. During my stay I did not hear of one person in the community I was in get COVID. I was socially active seven days a week playing golf, bocce ball, church, and going out to dinner. All of these activities included persons from outside of my family/ household. Masks were only worn to get into a restaurant, but not while we were seated. There were times where we would have as many as 8 couples in our group. We were from separate households, we all sat together, and nobody that I know of caught an illness of any kind.
My point here is, if you are ill, stay home. Hopefully this is something good that we will learn from all of what has happened during this difficult time. To many times people go out while being sick not thinking of the people you may come in contact with.
Old 05-28-2021, 02:30 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiw98 View Post
I spent this past winter in the Orlando area of Florida. During my stay I did not hear of one person in the community I was in get COVID. I was socially active seven days a week playing golf, bocce ball, church, and going out to dinner. All of these activities included persons from outside of my family/ household. Masks were only worn to get into a restaurant, but not while we were seated. There were times where we would have as many as 8 couples in our group. We were from separate households, we all sat together, and nobody that I know of caught an illness of any kind.
My point here is, if you are ill, stay home. Hopefully this is something good that we will learn from all of what has happened during this difficult time. To many times people go out while being sick not thinking of the people you may come in contact with.
Do you mean to seriously suggest people in Orlando were somehow exempt from the surge Florida saw this winter? Show me some statistics that confirm that. What you personally heard of really doesn't mean much. I do agree sick people should stay home, obviously.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-28-2021 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-28-2021, 02:48 PM

No offense to anyone but India is being ravaged right now. I think if it was so easy to avoid getting sick then they wouldn't be having the issues they are. Like I said earlier these stories kind of minimize what people have gone through.

Last edited by packs; 05-28-2021 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-28-2021, 04:33 PM
Jeff H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Do you mean to seriously suggest people in Orlando were somehow exempt from the surge Florida saw this winter? Show me some statistics that confirm that. What you personally heard of really doesn't mean much. I do agree sick people should stay home, obviously.
Peter, I'm not saying that there were no cases in Orlando. What I am saying is that the people that I had direct contact with neither had COVID nor mentioned knowing of anyone in our community having COVID. Some of the people had started or completed their shots, some did not have any shots. There were people from different parts of the US and Canada in our community.
This was just my experience this past winter.
Old 05-28-2021, 05:20 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiw98 View Post
Peter, I'm not saying that there were no cases in Orlando. What I am saying is that the people that I had direct contact with neither had COVID nor mentioned knowing of anyone in our community having COVID. Some of the people had started or completed their shots, some did not have any shots. There were people from different parts of the US and Canada in our community.
This was just my experience this past winter.
Understood but that type of anecdote doesn't really mean much, respectfully. Thousands of people in my town had it per the Mayor's office but I never personally heard of any cases. I don't think it's something people broadcast.

Old 05-28-2021, 05:24 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
No offense to anyone but India is being ravaged right now. I think if it was so easy to avoid getting sick then they wouldn't be having the issues they are. Like I said earlier these stories kind of minimize what people have gone through.
Culturally they do things much different than the US. Many of them need to shop for food each day, they live hand to mouth. Now they are forced to all go out at once between 6a and 10a. Life expectancy already 10 years younger than the US due to poor diet, etc, multi generations in the same house . Also, very poor health care system.

Riddle me this, India is 4x the size of the US, Cases are almost the same as US at 30 million, but deaths are 50% of US deaths despite all the other issues. Could 75% of the "deaths attributed to covid" probably be something else? I'm not say only 6% like the cdc commented that death certificates only said covid, but maybe closer to 12% died due to covid 19.

It's a shame anyone has to die, but without death, there cant be life.

That being said, at some point y'all will be forced to get the vaccine if you want to leave the house. If ya cant beat em you will have to join them or live in exile

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 05-28-2021, 06:06 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Culturally they do things much different than the US. Many of them need to shop for food each day, they live hand to mouth. Now they are forced to all go out at once between 6a and 10a. Life expectancy already 10 years younger than the US due to poor diet, etc, multi generations in the same house . Also, very poor health care system.

Riddle me this, India is 4x the size of the US, Cases are almost the same as US at 30 million, but deaths are 50% of US deaths despite all the other issues. Could 75% of the "deaths attributed to covid" probably be something else? I'm not say only 6% like the cdc commented that death certificates only said covid, but maybe closer to 12% died due to covid 19.

It's a shame anyone has to die, but without death, there cant be life.

That being said, at some point y'all will be forced to get the vaccine if you want to leave the house. If ya cant beat em you will have to join them or live in exile
C'mon, Ted, everyone knows the PCR test is the most accurate test ever with zero chance of ever getting false positives, and despite of whatever else you might have died of, if you tested positive for covid, you died of covid and nothing else. Get with the program, man.

"Manitoba Chief Microbiologist and Laboratory Specialist: 56% of positive “cases” are not infectious

"PCR testing was invented to find genetic viral material in a sample and has not traditionally been used as the sole method for identifying people suffering from a viral or bacterial disease"
"Dr. Bullard testified that the most accurate way to determine whether someone is actually infectious with Covid is to attempt to grow a cell culture in the lab from a patient sample. If a cell culture will not grow the virus in the lab, a patient is likely not infectious. A study from Dr. Bullard and his colleagues found that only 44% of positive PCR test results would actually grow in the lab"
https://www.jccf.ca/manitoba-chief-m...7YnWc-PlDM2I18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBS9j7nHDsM

Last edited by irv; 05-28-2021 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-28-2021, 07:34 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

I have not read this entire thread, so excuse me if my comments have been stated before, but this is my perspective on the vaccine, and really, pretty much all healthcare choices. As many of you know already, I am a family doctor. I say this not as a way of saying I know better than anyone. It merely gives those reading a better understanding of what frames my perspective.

The problem with the US system is that we try to blend freedom of choice with absence of responsibility from the consequences of choices that go bad. This is true of pretty much every system we have,m not just healthcare. Understand that I am not advocating we change, but I think it's important to recognize the weakness that exists.

It happens all the time. People talk about the freedom to makes choices, even bad ones, and how it's their body, etc, BUT then expect health insurance system, and all who pay into that system, to pick up the tab when things go south. For example, people want the freedom to choose to smoke, but then want someone else to pay the tab for the lung cancer and the heart attack/strokes that they got, at least in part due to them exercising their rights.

This kind of all started back when the laws changed that made hospitals unable to refuse treatment to someone, in an emergency situation, because they could not pay. The idea was that it is inhumane to refuse in that instance. While I agree that this is cold, it does remove some of the responsibility from the individual to care for themselves, in a manner of speaking, like making sure they have health insurance or having a doctor to take care of their sinus infection instead of showing up in the ER, or not driving drunk, and other examples( I could go on and on). This along with many other incremental changes, mostly based in compassion, has slowly over time created a system where each of us has the freedom to choose, but expects others to foot the bill. (and if you don't think using your healthcare insurance does not affect everyone else's rates/costs, then you do not understand how health insurance works.)

Now, getting back to COVID vaccine specifically...
IMO, both sides of the equation should be balanced. What I mean is this, if there is a risk to getting the vaccine, there should be a s similar risk for not.

So, on one hand, if you get the vaccine and have a side effect, there is a very robust system in place for the person to be compensated for this event.
and to balance it out, if you choose not to get the vaccine, then get COVID, any healthcare costs should be the responsibility of individual and their family. Jobs should be able to say that sick time cannot be used for COVID related illnesses if you CHOOSE not to get the shot.
I think the same logic/system could apply to many other things as well, like flu shots, colonoscopy, etc. Don't get a flu shot, treatment for flu infection and any complications should not be not covered. No colonscopy? then Colon Cancer treatment is not covered.

To me this is the most fair way to do it. We each get the freedom to make our choices and live with the consequences of them. This may sound harsh, but true freedom comes with significant risk. We have, over time, attempted to remove risk from life. Unfortunately, removing risk through things like shared risk means that we give up a certain amount of that freedom by being obligated to each other.

I have personally seen many many people die from this disease. I am in favor of all adults getting the vaccine. I am waiting on the data for children to come out before deciding on if I think it's worth it for them.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 05-28-2021, 07:39 PM
Peter Spaeth

The doctors and nurses and medical workers who have dealt with this awful disease on the front lines deserve far more credit for their efforts and sacrifices than they ever will get. I am sure it bothers some of them to hear all the minimization and outright denialism and conspiracy theories coming from some quarters.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-28-2021 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-28-2021, 07:56 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Old 05-28-2021, 07:59 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Anecdotal evidence is either valid, or it is not. I do not think it is worth much of anything, but anecdotal evidence that supports the pro-fear agenda should be equally inadmissible as the anti-fear agenda then.

Nobody in my peer group has had a tough time with Covid at all. 2 of have had a tough time with what appear to be from the vaccination. I don't think this means anything, as the anecdotal is inherently difficult to validate and relies on marginal sample sizes.

I'd like to see the other argument held to the same standard though, those reporting the opposite experience in their circle should also be referred to non-anecdotal evidence. That never seems to happen.
As one of my favorite sites likes to say, the plural of anecdote is not data. But there is a lot of data out there on which to draw, although one can debate its significance.

Old 05-28-2021, 08:04 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
The doctors and nurses and medical workers who have dealt with this awful disease on the front lines deserve far more credit for their efforts and sacrifices than they ever will get. I am sure it bothers some of them to hear all the minimization and outright denialism and conspiracy theories coming from some quarters.
I am kind split on the topic, tbh.

I know how serious the disease is and how many it has killed, but I also think the politicization of this has definitely created some misconceptions about the true reality. I read that there was a poll taken where 70% of those self identifying as Democrats stated there was greater than a 50% chance of being admitted with Covid. The Republican number was closer to 50% of people thought the risk was over 50%. We know the true number is 1-5%.

On the other side, we have lots of people who think that the hospitals have been exaggerating the death numbers by manipulating death certificates. This is a significant oversimplification as most people do not understand how doctors(not hospitals I might add) complete official Death Certificates. For example, Let's say someone has Heart Failure that is stable, and then gets COVID. The COVID causes the person's overall health to be compromised and the Heart Failure worsens. Now, if that person dies from the Heart Failure, the correct way to complete the Death Cert is put Heart Failure as the first cause of death, but also to add COVID as part of the cause as well.The rationale is that if the person did not get COVID, their Heart Failure may not have worsened and caused the death at that time.

It's understanding examples like these that show how the news media and politicians, on both sides, have really failed the American people in explaining the full story.

In a way, this illness has been both minimized and overblown at the same time. Only in America, could we pull of such an amazing feat!

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 05-28-2021, 08:07 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
I am kind split on the topic, tbh.

I know how serious the disease is and how many it has killed, but I also think the politicization of this has definitely created some misconceptions about the true reality. I read that there was a poll taken where 70% of those self identifying as Democrats stated there was greater than a 50% chance of being admitted with Covid. The Republican number was closer to 50% of people thought the risk was over 50%. We know the true number is 1-5%.

On the other side, we have lots of people who think that the hospitals have been exaggerating the death numbers by manipulating death certificates. This is a significant oversimplification as most people do not understand how doctors(not hospitals I might add) complete official Death Certificates. For example, Let's say someone has Heart Failure that is stable, and then gets COVID. The COVID causes the person's overall health to be compromised and the Heart Failure worsens. Now, if that person dies from the Heart Failure, the correct way to complete the Death Cert is put Heart Failure as the first cause of death, but also to add COVID as part of the cause as well.The rationale is that if the person did not get COVID, their Heart Failure may not have worsened and caused the death at that time.

It's understanding examples like these that show how the news media and politicians, on both sides, have really failed the American people in explaining the full story.

In a way, this illness has been both minimized and overblown at the same time. Only in America, could we pull of such an amazing feat!
Exactly. It's not binary. The virus can certainly be the straw, or brick, that breaks the camel's back, even if the camel had a weak back to begin with. That does nothing in my mind to minimize the role of the virus in that death.

And agree about the politicization, on both sides.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-28-2021 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-28-2021, 08:30 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Old 05-28-2021, 08:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Now that's a good line.
Science based medicine. You might like it, they are fond of pointing out various logical fallacies in arguments made by advocates of some positions. They love deconstructing appeal to nature arguments, for example.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-28-2021 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-29-2021, 12:23 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

The problem with the US system is that we try to blend freedom of choice with absence of responsibility from the consequences of choices that go bad. This is true of pretty much every system we have, not just healthcare.

Best observation in this whole thread.

“Freedom makes a huge requirement of every human being. With freedom comes responsibility. For the person who is unwilling to grow up, the person who does not want to carry his own weight, this is a frightening prospect.”

-Eleanor Roosevelt

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 05-29-2021, 07:36 AM
D@le Irv*n

https://www.facebook.com/DrScottJens...01897574991145
Old 05-29-2021, 10:35 AM

Does the meritocracy healthcare system apply to everyone equally? Professional sports careers will be short. Every football player knows the risks of the game. Broken legs will equal certain death and well earned I guess if they knew what could happen.
Old 05-29-2021, 11:42 AM
G@nn0n
G@nnon As.ip

The problem with the "absence of responsibility" argument of course is that the vaccines didn't go through the normal trials and protocols. You can't blame someone for being cautious about the vaccines which thus far have only been authorized for emergency use and haven't been fully approved. The track record of the lawsuit-ridden pharmaceutical industry is also a concern, given their history of often approving the drug first, and asking questions later.

Further, denying somebody care if they didn't get a colonoscopy is an arrogant and socioeconomically myopic thing to say. Many people simply CAN'T AFFORD health insurance. And they're not driving around in gold Cadillacs. Millions of people lost their jobs and their health insurance due to the pandemic. And there were already millions who didn't have health insurance before it - who were working full time, often at more than one job.

The vaccines might be the greatest thing since sliced bread. But for the time being, I understand and respect people not wanting to get one. I also understand and respect people willing to get one. It's a personal decision at this point.

Last edited by jgannon; 05-30-2021 at 12:18 AM.
Old 05-29-2021, 02:44 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgannon View Post
It's a personal decision at this point.
If we are the owners of our bodies then yes. If the government owns our bodies then no. Simple as that.
Old 05-30-2021, 08:42 AM
J Stone

With all due respect the "...can't afford health insurance" argument doesn't hold water any more.

I can only speak for myself, but as a self-employed/independent contractor I couldn't afford health insurance until the ACA (aka ObamaCare) came along. The ACA has literally been a life saver and my premiums have gone up and down as my income has fluctuated wildly, but was always affordable with a manageable deductible and was never tied to any particular work or job I did.

Anyone who doesn't have a job or health insurance at the moment can probably get nearly fully subsidized health insurance until their situation changes. For example my premium was dropped to $1/month when I was fully unemployed for a bit.

If anything, this is an example of why we shouldn't have to tie health insurance to jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgannon View Post
Many people simply CAN'T AFFORD health insurance. And they're not driving around in gold Cadillacs. Millions of people lost their jobs and their health insurance due to the pandemic. And there were already millions who didn't have health insurance before it - who were working full time, often at more than one job.
Old 05-30-2021, 09:23 AM
G@nn0n
G@nnon As.ip

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseDog View Post
With all due respect the "...can't afford health insurance" argument doesn't hold water any more.

I can only speak for myself, but as a self-employed/independent contractor I couldn't afford health insurance until the ACA (aka ObamaCare) came along. The ACA has literally been a life saver and my premiums have gone up and down as my income has fluctuated wildly, but was always affordable with a manageable deductible and was never tied to any particular work or job I did.

Anyone who doesn't have a job or health insurance at the moment can probably get nearly fully subsidized health insurance until their situation changes. For example my premium was dropped to $1/month when I was fully unemployed for a bit.

If anything, this is an example of why we shouldn't have to tie health insurance to jobs.
There are all too many instances of people who have healthcare who can't afford their medicines and treatments, and copays. So even if you have healthcare, it doesn't guarantee adequate coverage.

I'm glad the ACA worked for you. But as you said, you are speaking for yourself. Your situation is not everybody's.
Old 05-30-2021, 10:36 AM

I often find the issues with these discussions is that people on the board don’t know many other people who aren’t like themselves socioeconomically. There is this assumption everyone is on equal footing. If you think the issue with healthcare is that too many people get it, try talking to someone who doesn’t have it. If you think healthcare is so cheap it’s crazy not to have it, talk to someone who doesn’t qualify like you do. That’s the only way to understand the lives of others.

Last edited by packs; 05-30-2021 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-30-2021, 01:27 PM
J Stone

But that's the point of the ACA. Just about everybody can qualify. I have a very good friend who would qualify for a $1/mo subsidized plan, but he chooses to go uninsured because he's been indoctrinated to believe ObamaCare = bad.

Quote:
I often find the issues with these discussions is that people on the board don’t know many other people who aren’t like themselves socioeconomically. There is this assumption everyone is on equal footing. If you think the issue with healthcare is that too many people get it, try talking to someone who doesn’t have it. If you think healthcare is so cheap it’s crazy not to have it, talk to someone who doesn’t qualify like you do. That’s the only way to understand the lives of others isn’t it?
Old 05-30-2021, 02:09 PM

There are still 12 states who did not expand their coverage.
Old 05-30-2021, 02:26 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

The vaccine for Covid is free. Not sure what the general debate about health care has to do with it.
Old 05-30-2021, 02:44 PM
G@nn0n
G@nnon As.ip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
The vaccine for Covid is free. Not sure what the general debate about health care has to do with it.
The vaccines are free, and the tests are free. But for many people who had covid and were in the hospital, they are facing absolute financial ruin.
Old 05-30-2021, 02:50 PM
G@nn0n
G@nnon As.ip

Quote:
There are still 12 states who did not expand their coverage.
And in most of the states which did not expand, adults without children are ineligible.
Old 05-30-2021, 04:28 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
The vaccine for Covid is free.
Also, the tests are free.

Who's really paying for them?

Dont underestimate a man's intentions when profit is at stake.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 05-30-2021, 06:01 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Also, the tests are free.

Who's really paying for them?

Don't underestimate a man's intentions when profit is at stake.
AstraZeneca, as most likely know, has been banned in many countries throughout the world then deemed safe then back to being banned again, including my country, Canada.
https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...ses-specialist

Yesterday, as a whole bunch were set to expire tomorrow, May 31st, have now been given the OK by our Federal Liberal gov't to be used for another month past the expiry date!
https://globalnews.ca/news/7904824/h...iration-dates/

Does it really surprise anyone now who doesn't understand the hesitancy of some to get the vaccines when, since the very beginning, there has been nothing but a bunch of flip flopping back and forth with information on the whole pandemic schmazel, and even to this day, well into year 2, it is still continuing??

Last edited by irv; 05-30-2021 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-30-2021, 06:40 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
AstraZeneca, as most likely know, has been banned in many countries...
There was a time in March when the vaccine was banned in all these countries simultaneously:

Sweden
Germany
France
Denmark
Norway
Iceland
Bulgaria
Ireland
Netherlands
Italy
Spain
Cyprus
Indonesia
Portugal
Latvia
Slovenia
Luxembourg
Tialand
The Democratic Republic of Congo

I don't know which countries (if any) have since resumed use. Nothing to see here though. Keep moving along...
Old 05-31-2021, 05:49 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
There was a time in March when the vaccine was banned in all these countries simultaneously:

Sweden
Germany
France
Denmark
Norway
Iceland
Bulgaria
Ireland
Netherlands
Italy
Spain
Cyprus
Indonesia
Portugal
Latvia
Slovenia
Luxembourg
Tialand
The Democratic Republic of Congo

I don't know which countries (if any) have since resumed use. Nothing to see here though. Keep moving along...
I'm not sure either, Dave, but I do know when some have been approved if you're between the age of 40 and 60 it is OK to use, but then it gets changed again to if you're 55 or younger, it is not it is not to be used, it sure doesn't reek like they know very much about it nor the possible harm it can do!

The thing is, which I have never found out, is why is it only safe if you are a certain age or between a certain age?? Why is there no explanation from the "trust the science" "trust the studies" or other supposed experts crowd????
https://www.reuters.com/business/hea...ed-2021-04-20/
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/143445...s-blood-clots/
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56744474

"The road keeps getting bumpier for a vaccine that most researchers say is safe and effective and has huge potential to protect large swathes of the world’s population. Less than a day after the University of Oxford and the pharmaceutical firm AstraZeneca reported positive early results from the largest trial so far of their COVID-19 vaccine, officials at a US government agency overseeing the trial questioned claims about the vaccine’s efficacy"

"Lingering questions over the latest trial are “a real mess”, he adds"

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00785-7
Old 05-31-2021, 09:45 AM
D@le Irv*n

"Dr. Peter McCullough discusses the dangers of the novel COVID vaccine and it's roll out. This is a product that had minimal testing but is being pushed on the masses. Must we all get the shot for things to "go back to normal"?
https://rumble.com/vhp8e1-massive-wo...d-vaccine.html