NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-24-2011, 09:33 PM

Default Turkey Red T3 Cards

Hi All. I hope you all might help me. I recently obtained a fairly large, and nice condition, collection of these cards. There are 16 cards total in the lot, including Thomas, Keeler, Baker, Devlin, Ames, Collins, Kraus, Speaker, Evers, Dygert, McBride, Wilson, Konetchy, Lajoie, Doolin, and Rhoades. They all have very nice corners and bold color. They are mixed backs of checklist and turkey red ads. The Doolin and Lajoie are both exceptional, with the Doolin having a Turkey Red back. I am looking for information on these. I am new to these cards, and am excited about the find. Are any rarer than others? Should I get them graded (and by which company), and what do you think the value of the cards are. I will eventually (probably) be looking to sell them. I just wanted to make sure not to give them away, and I'm sure everyone on the board will know much more about them than I do.
Thank you for all your help. I'd be lost without this board when it comes to "new to me" vintage stuff!!

Dave
[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
[IMG]http://images.auctionhelper.com/images/9348//tcards/MVC-001S.JPG
[/IMG]
Old 05-24-2011, 09:36 PM

Default More pics

Old 05-24-2011, 11:01 PM
Brian Goldner

Hi Dave,

I strongly recommend that You get them graded.

I prefer not to choose a grading company for You, but if these were my cards, i would have SGC grade them for me.

The Rhoades has long been recognized as being difficult, and fortunately for You, it is in your group of 16.

The Hall of Famers will also be high value cards, especially if they attain mid-grade or higher.

With regard to prices, check the most recent auction results.
That should give You a reasonable barometer of what T3's are currently selling for.

In any case, based upon how they appear in the scans, You should do pretty well with them.

Brian
Old 05-24-2011, 11:42 PM
Dan McCarthy

Those are gorgeous and will bring really good prices if you sell them. Definitely get them graded. You got a great group too: Keeler, Baker, Collins, Speaker, Evers, Lajoie, Rhodes are all going to bring great prices. I would probably get them graded by PSA because if they grade high the registry people will compete for them (I think I'd go PSA for that reason, though I prefer SGC for my own cards). Just measure them up to make sure none are trimmed (they don't appear to be) and double check for any pin-holes (really common on these cards).
Old 05-24-2011, 11:49 PM

Default Thank you

Thank you for the info. The only pinhoe is Tris Speaker, othewise no pinholes. I have someone offering around $10,000 for the lot. Do you think this is fair? I'm just trying not to get taken. Thanks again!!
Old 05-25-2011, 05:24 AM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

The cost of having these cards graded will be well worth it if they have not been trimmed or altered. It is impossible to accurately grade a card from a scan but suffice it to say that a high grade Rhoades could bring $10,000 by itself.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:40 AM
Pete Sycks

I've always loved the T3 set, I wish you the best on these cards. Did you any more cards?
Old 05-25-2011, 06:38 AM
Tom Boblitt

A one month subscription to vintagecardprices.com would be a good investment to see what they've brought in previous auctions. Like Dan, I'd prefer SGC for my own collection but there are more PSA registry sets out there, so to maximize your return, I'd go that way. Great thing to have dropped in your lap. Grading them is not cheap but you will get the return many times over especially if you get any of the HOFers or Rhoades grade 4-5-6.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:44 AM
Banned

You might find this website helpful:

http://t3turkeyred.com/

The owner is a strong supporter of Net54.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:21 AM

Default Thanks again, Doolin

Thanks again for the help. It appears that Doolin is a short print (maybe). Mine would probably grade a psa 5 - 6 or so. Is it short? Thanks again.
Dave
Old 05-25-2011, 08:05 AM
Scott Levy

If you are interested in reselling - get them graded. Once grades have been assigned it's very easy to value each card and know how much your collection is worth. Rhoades is a very scarce card esp. in top shape.

P.S. That Lajoie card looks AMAZING -- wouldn't be surprised to see that in a '5', '6' or even perhaps a '7' holder. FYI....Turkey red ad backs are a little more scarce and some consider them to bring a slight premium ... but they are certainly not rare.

Last edited by scottglevy; 05-25-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:37 PM
Dan McCarthy

I'm working on a really low grade T3 set, so I'm not too in touch with the prices of cards in the condition of yours. I did some searching around to see if I could help you out with pricing. There's definitely something funky going on with the Doolin card. Compare these two auctions: REA, Mastro

There are so many variables that can influence the price (name spelling, back type, deviant bidding, who happens to want one, general world economic conditions, etc) that I can't tell you what's what. Maybe someone more experienced will chime in. I know I don't pay a premium for ad backs, but I'm a cheapskate poverty-stricken college student.

There's also this lot of 10, most of which I'd say are comparable to your lot, only that yours probably has better cards and there are more of them. You might be getting gypped at even $15k.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:35 PM
Mark Peavey

Default Turkey reds

Doolin spelled 'in' instead of 'an' is probably the toughest turkey red of all - certainly tougher than Rhoades. Looks to be nicer condition than your Rhoades as well. Rhoades with the stains won't bring anything near the $10,000 someone suggested. Doolin is definitely worth more.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:38 PM
Patrick N.

Default No

No offense, but you should NOT sell to anyone on this board (or any other for that matter) until you've done some more research AND also send these in for grading...

Last edited by mintacular; 05-25-2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:32 PM

I just wanted to check- are your cards 5 inches X 8 inches(originals) or are they 2 X 3.5 which would mean that they are the reprints. I only ask because I noticed the scan with the safety pin-- either that's a really big safety pin or these cards are to small

Last edited by Jason19th; 05-25-2011 at 09:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-25-2011, 09:57 PM

Default size

They are 5 x 8. thank you.