NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-17-2006, 08:29 AM
Administrator

Default Michael Hirsley, Chicago Trib on Wagner card fizzle

Posted By: Michael Passalacqua

CHICAGO TRIBUNE

Big payday may not be in cards
Authenticity issues impede owners' ability to auction very rare Honus Wagner artifact, writes Michael Hirsley

Michael Hirsley
Published August 16, 2006

If a baseball card owned by John Cobb and Ray Edwards is truly worth the paper it's printed on, that could be $750,000 or more.

So says one expert appraiser of sports memorabilia.

Full article here:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0608160210aug16,1,1477128.story

How dreadful knowledge of the truth can be when there's no help in the truth.
-- Sophocles

Old 08-17-2006, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: steve f

Of course you'll need to read the complete article but this line kills me, "If these two guys were white, we wouldn't be having this problem," Connelly said. (in reference to the theft)

Old 08-17-2006, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

If there is one thing Johnnie Cochran taught the country is that when your back is against the wall, play the race card. Besides, if you were thinking of placing a bid on the card, how would you know the race of the consignors? You wouldn't.

Old 08-17-2006, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Just read the article and saw that Bob Connelly was referred to as a sports memorabilia expert. Anyone on this board feels that he is an expert? And he wants to get the card retested, but not by a company that authenticates baseball cards. I hope that in the end all these guys get what they deserve. That all these newspapers are picking up the story and wasting valuable column space on it is ludicrous enough.

Old 08-17-2006, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

HEY! There's been a Schwed sighting!! Wow. He must truly be lying. If we accept that the card is skinned and rebacked w/a Piedmont back, then I can understand the paper guy maybe getting fibers from the reverse and concluding the paper was old.

But a powerful microscope? And he could only look at the back? Because he either has no competence to identify modern printing, was not able to see that the methods of printing on the front and back are completely different from one another, or negligently made his eval based on looking at the back only. Which?

Either that, or it's real. KIDDING.

Joann

Old 08-17-2006, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I love how they site him as a sports memorailia expert in one paragraph. Then in another paragraph say that he is not an authenticator of sports memorabilia? Seems to me that you can't be an expert without being able to authenticate the material.

Jay

A good friend will come bail you out of jail. A true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn, that was fun."

Old 08-17-2006, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jack Fitz

Connelly's website says he's certified by two appraisal organizations. Here are the credentials they show for him.

APPRAISERS ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA

Name: Robert J. Connelly AAA
Business Name: Bob & Sallie Connelly Antiques-Auctions-Appraisals
Address: 205 State Street
Binghamton, NY 13901-2711
USA
Tel: 607-722-9593
Fax: 607-722-1266
Email Address: bob@bobconnelly.com
Specializations: Furniture & Decorative Arts: General; Personal Property: General; Clocks & Watches: General; Collectibles: General; Folk Art: General
· · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·
*The designation of AAA next to a member's name denotes that the member has passed all required examinations and is certified in those specific categories that are underlined in their directory listing.

AMERICAN SOCIETY OF APPRAISERS

Robert J. Connelly, ASA
Accredited Senior Appraiser
Bob & Sallie Connelly
666 Chenango St
Binghamton, NY 13901-2015
Phone: (607) 722-9593
Email: bob@bobconnelly.com
Fax: (607) 722-1266
Web address: www.bobconnelly.com
-----------------------------------------------------------
Discipline: Personal Property
Specialty: Antiques & Decorative Arts
Specialty: Residential Contents - General
-----------------------------------------------------------
Degree(s): AA
Other Designations: AAA, FRICS, CRA, NAPA
Chapter: Hudson Valley, New York
Member Status: Active

Old 08-17-2006, 12:17 PM
Administrator

I'm sure Mr. Connelly possesses many authenticating skills. Unfortunately, T206's isn't one of them.

Old 08-17-2006, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

I love how the people who tipped off ebay are labeled "skeptics." And how Connelly still isn't convinced.

Even if you ignore the obvious, that the card is a fake, what are the odds that, with 500+ cards in the set, plus numerous back variations, times millions of cards printed, the only real T206 of any kind ever seen without the black border and with different printing fonts would be Honus and not Heinie?

I was once asked to be a second expert witness in a plagiarism trial involving a Pepsi jingle written in the 70s by a well known and successful composer. I listened to both pieces. I looked at the material, prepared by Expert #1, which included a musical analysis of the jingle and of the piece which the plaintiff claimed had been ripped off.

The plaintiff was a banana. And so was his "expert." He had a reputation for being a couple of beers short of a six-pack.

The only thing the two pieces had in common was that they both used the twelve notes of the chromatic scale which provide the foundation for the last 600 years of western music. Tantamount to saying that both this post and the novels of John Steinbeck were both written in English, and are therefore equivalent. It was laughable to the same degree as this Wagner debacle. Plus there was no way that the real composer could have ever come in contact with the plaintiff's music.

These bozos couldn't understand why I didn't want to participate.

Old 08-17-2006, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chad

That is, both the article and the HBO special left room for doubt that the card is real. That's some good journalism there fellas! The story wasn't these two Davids fighting against the Goliath memorabilia industry, the real story was about fraud in sports collectibles and the lengths people will go to get something for nothing. God help me for saying this, but Geraldo would have exposed these hucksters for what they are. Sometimes a "news" article that bends over to show both sides is the worst kind of journalism. If one side is the truth, and the other side is an obvious lie, then what's the point of a balanced story? It only lends credence to the lie at the truth's expense. Again, bad bad bad bad journalism on this. And these two guys are one step closer to cashing in.

--Chad

Old 08-17-2006, 12:27 PM
Administrator

I agree with Chad 100%. This is not a two-sided story, it only has one side and is not subject to rational debate.

Old 08-17-2006, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

not to mention that HBO completely missed the mark with their lame explanation of why a T206 Wagner is considered so valuable and desirable.

Old 08-17-2006, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Is the purpose of journalism to bring out the truth or to achieve the highest cumulative ratings attainable? I think the latter. Therefore you never prove the fake, you just get mileage out of it. Now thats good journalism.