NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-01-2009, 07:33 PM
Frank Wakefield

Default OT/ I hate magic tape, and cards in contact with tape

I just received a card I bought...

It was in a T card sleeve, in a T card top loader, and then in a Card Saver II. With a bit of magic tape across it.

Golly, guys. When you mail a card, invert one of the holders inside the other, so if the card slides around it will not come in contact with the tape. Here, if the seller had inverted the sleeve, or the little top loader, then the card could not have come in contact with that magic tape.

Once sellers figure that inversion thing out, then QUIT using magic tape. Use regular tape, at least it will peel away easier. Or place a piece of paper across the opening then tape that down, so the card can't come in contact with the tape adhesive. It isn't rocket science, seal up a card as you'd like to open it...

Once sellers get that down, then they need to come up with their own packaging, instead of ripping off USPS Priority boxes and envelopes and using them inside out.... That just drives up the cost for the rest of us.

I save lots of bags and boxes. It drives my family nuts, until Christmas time, when they will sheepishly ask me if I have a box "this" big or "that" big... I like recycling bubble wrap envelopes and the like. I hate magic tape.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:42 PM
Tom Boblitt

amen brother..........I hate tape in general!!!!! I get a single card that someone wraps about 6 pieces of packing tape around the holder to a piece of cardboard. What is that? Why so much tape? UNNECESSARY.....
Old 10-01-2009, 09:19 PM
Pup6913

I hope I didn't sell them those holders They should know better because of how loose they fit. If the card was an OJ it wouldn't move anywhere because it is thick. I always store my raw T card in their holders with the sleeve opening at the bottom.

When I ship I used a roll of packing tape to wrap a small piece of cardboard around them Actually I put the card in a semi ridgid and tape the holder to one of the sides for stiffining then cardboard with enough tape to secure the board together. Same way I would want a card to show up. Secure!
Old 10-02-2009, 04:44 AM
Dustan Hedlin

Team bags are where it's at. Tape never comes in contact with the card.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:07 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Frank,

That looks like a card I might have shipped to you. I understand your frustration. I have shipped thousands of cards with magic tape with no complaints. I have also use the regular tape in which a buyer complained it was too hard to get off. I've had buyers complain that they don't want any tape as well as buyers suggest I use tape.

I am open to all suggestions but it's impossible to please 100% of my customers. I try.

Inverting the sleeve is a great suggestion and I will start shipping my cards in that manner. I got so use to putting the card in upright that it never dawned upon me to invert it.

I don't take these complaints as insults, I take them as a learning experience.

I'd like to hear other suggestions as well.

Thank You.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 10-02-2009, 06:16 AM
Tom Boblitt

195% agree with Dustan.............team bags ROCK......especially for a single card or the graded card bags will work too.......little piece of cardboard, toploader or semirigid and a team or graded card bag. Might be a couple pennies more but you won't have the damage.

Last edited by autograf; 10-02-2009 at 06:16 AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:48 AM
Frank Wakefield

Hello Howard,

I didn't put in that post that I got the card from BuyThatCard...

Regular tape can be a bit of a pain, but not as much as magic tape. Most of the time when I use regular tape I fold a fraction of an inch of the end of the tape over on itself, that creates a tab of sorts that makes reomoval of the tape easy. It does take a moment to do that, not a big deal for me as few cards as I sell.

I've left all 5's in the feedback for the seller of that card. My goal wasn't to rant about the seller, it was to get folks to rethink (and for some, to think in the first place0 about their packaging.

I'm a bit of a bibliophile. Sometimes when I'd get a package in the mail, years ago when my kids were young, they'd gather around to watch me open the package. They always hoped it was a book because most of the antiquarian book dealers would wrap the book in paper, then tie it off with string, like a wrapped gift. Sometimes I get something from an old card guy who uses string or rubberbands...

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 10-02-2009 at 06:51 AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:13 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default agreed

I got that R315 stip of 5 last week and it was stuck to some of the PO Box tape....it damaged the card quite a bit as I was pulling it off of it. I mean chuncks of the border were left on the tape. It really sucked bad. I won't give the selller any bad marks, as I could tell they tried to package it very, very carefully....they just failed miserably. I thought quite a bit about dinging them but I could tell they spent a lot of time trying to do it right, so I won't. I will email them and let them know what happened so they can do something different next time.
To everyone- please be careful where any tape is concerned. Personally I use a penny sleeve and toploader, with some kind of stiff packing to ship raw cards. On graded ones I just make sure it's packed well..I very rarely use any tape except on the outside of the whole package..regards

Last edited by Leon; 10-02-2009 at 07:56 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-02-2009, 07:48 AM

Frank,
You could avoid that problem by sticking to graded cards.
JimB
Old 10-02-2009, 08:12 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Frank,

I know that you didn't mention the seller's name. But it does look like my packaging. I didn't take it personally. I took it as constructive criticism.

Maybe, we can all get together and patent a type of sealer for these card holders. Some kind of thin clasp which is easily removed.

We can make enough money from this product and not worry about selling cards anymore. We can just buy them.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 10-02-2009, 08:32 AM
Joe M.

I hear you Frank, but sellers get paranoid because of buyers concerns about a card being damaged in the mail. I know I do and I am guilty of using to much tape and cardboard just for safety of the card I am mailing.

Joe
Old 10-02-2009, 08:36 AM
Pup6913

Just incase some of the people don't get what I said about the holders and how the cards are put in, here are some pics of a card I store in my raw section. This is a great way to ship the cards also. I came up with this after my 4 yr old took an interest in my cards especially the Cobb which she added a new crease to an already creased up card just before it went to SGC

I am sure I was not the first to think of this but it works great

Put the card in the sleeve upsidedown
Put the card in the holder rightside up(not sideways either guys)
Add small piece of tape to top and it is locked in there with no tape to touch the card at all.

If you are concerened with the bottom touching the holder I suggest double sleeving which will cost you more with these holders. I have used regular penny sleves and the vintage card sleeves to do this before and they fit great in a regular toploader. Put the card in the normal penny sleeve and then slide the vintage card penny sleeve over the top and put into the toploader. Fits good enough it does'nt need tape, but a piece could prevent problems!

I hope this ramble has helped someone out there in Net54 Land
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shipped.jpg (81.1 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg shipped 1.jpg (42.1 KB, 145 views)
Old 10-02-2009, 11:35 AM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustanh1 View Post
Team bags are where it's at. Tape never comes in contact with the card.
That's what I do. I always use those resealable graded card bags. Even if the card is in a top loader you can still use them and the adhesive won't be anywhere near the card.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:45 AM

Why not just put the card in an envelope raw with no sleave & no top loader. Let see if there's any damage when it arrives to its destination.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:51 PM
Chris / prewarprints.com

I've found, when using the T-card top loaders, that the best thing to do is... tcard in mini sleeve, sleeve in top loader, top loader in team bag sideways. Wrap around once and seal team bag on the back. They fit perfectly and prevent any movement.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Jason

Default Alan, one step better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
Why not just put the card in an envelope raw with no sleave & no top loader. Let see if there's any damage when it arrives to its destination.
Alan,
you're on the right track. That is what I do, but just to protect it, since it is a raw card after all, - I wrap the raw card itself with one layer of magic tape, all the way around, just to make sure it's covered and sturdier in the envelope!
Old 10-02-2009, 02:32 PM
D.B. Cooper

I find those tiny T card top loaders to be a complete pain in ascot. I didn't grow up to have normal sized hands just so I could try to get a card in and out of one of those damn things.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
I had this happen to me many years ago. Made a trade for an E105 Mello Mint and the card came in a business sized envelope and nothing else. No top loader, no penny sleeve, not even a piece of paper to wrap it in. I think it came through OK...

e106.jpg

To respond to the original post: tape does come in handy. I find glue to be just too messy and I can never get a real good alignment using staples

e220tape.jpg

Email: check_raze(at)yahoo(dot)com
Old 10-02-2009, 05:16 PM
Patrick N.

Default Inversion not Needed

Inversion method is unneeded if you just avoid tape all together. Sleeve, top loader, and team bag--which can wrap tightly over the top loader to prevent any movement. The team bag seal unpeels very easily and it looks cleaner/more professional than ANY tape method.

The team bag also fits (5) cards & seals the tops for ALL of them, saving you the hassle of taping all five toploaders. Tape also is hard to remove fully from a toploader and it makes them appear more "used" so future use of them more unlikely.

Last edited by mintacular; 10-02-2009 at 05:19 PM.