NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-16-2008, 05:19 AM
Administrator

Default Ebay sorting pre 1930 - too much junk

Posted By: LetsGoBucs

If this has previously been discussed I apologize and feel free to delete.

I spent about an hour or so looking through items posted in the pre 1930 category. Off the top of my head I think that 40-50% of the items are reprints, another 10% aren't actually auctions rather sales due to the starting bids.

Ebay really needs to find a way to allow someone to sort only for true auctions of real cards - ie. all real pre 1930 cards with starting bids of less than $10.

If there is a way to do this and someone could share it would be appreciated.

Regards,

Old 03-16-2008, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

Your statement that it is only an auction if the card is under ten bucks is unrealistic. It doesn't make sense for many sellers to post good cards at throw-away prices and risk a sale at that level. Some dealers do it but most part-timers don't feel comfortable with it. I agree that garbage that isn't part of the category and reprints should be forced elswhere.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 03-16-2008, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

I think the category is a mess right now - I have been having stuff end all weekend, culminating tonight and the prices I am seeing are ridiculously low. The reprints and scams are killing the category for legitimate sales.

The new Orignal/Reproduction categorizations should be useful in sorting, but not yet. So far, not enough people listing have selected something from that option and therefore if you chose to filter by authentic cards, you'll miss out on valid listings.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Your statement that it is only an auction if the card is under ten bucks is unrealistic. It doesn't make sense for many sellers to post good cards at throw-away prices and risk a sale at that level.
-----------------

Well actually I don't expect to buy the cards for a under ten bucks - but I am there to look at auctions. Maybe I'm too old fashioned but an auction to me is a sale for whatever the highest bid is.......The reason to auction something is that there definately will be a sale at whatever the market bears.

If people want to sell their cards retail I say more power to them, but I don't need to scroll through page after page of overpriced (IMO) cards.

Old 03-16-2008, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gene Palmer

I type in "-reprint" in the search box. It won't get rid of all of them but it does eliminate the ones that actually have reprint in the title or description. Until Ebay does something like require reprints to be in a separate category, that's about the best you can do.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Mt Joy

One thing you can do to sort the auctions is use advanced search and look for everything that has at least 1 bid. This works well for me.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

Over the past several weeks, there have been a ridiculous amount of reprints in the pre-1930 category. The seller keeps listing them over and over, best as I can tell. Legitimate auctions are getting lost amidst the chaos. I've got some bigger-ticket cards I need to sell, and I'm really hesitant to list any of them on eBay until this gets straightened out.

-Al

Old 03-16-2008, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

i do what gene does, but then i think what if seller says card is not a reprint in discription? and i'm back wading thru all the junk again.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gene Palmer

Hmmm, good point Dennis. Guess I'm back to square one

Old 03-19-2008, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Michael

Which is better:

1. Looking through a smaller list of actual Pre-1930 cards and possibly missing some actual auctions

or

2. Having to wade through a long list of auctions but having every auction available to be viewed

If you look in the Pre-1930 category on eBay right now you get 2110 auctions. The minus reprint in title and description goes down to 1886. Under 900 with bids. With some other tricks I have widdled the number down to about 500 auctions.

However, if you go through the auctions one at a time, my filtering missing somewhere around 10-20% of what one would consider good auctions.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

but when I search Ebay auctions, I guess I don't browse that much...I type in player names that I need, or the set name, or both, or also add PSa or SGC, etc...I doubt I miss much that I would want, and it takes far less time

of course, if I just want to buy something random, then this type of category browsing would prove irritating if the authentic card yield was poor...

Old 03-19-2008, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

I posted 2 weeks ago that I had emailed ebay about this very problem and asked others to do so also so they could see it wasn't just one lonely voice in the wilderness but apparently almost all here either feel it is someone else's "job" or they are too lazy to do it. Until many collectors do this, it will continue unimpeded and you have no one to blame but yourselves.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the suggestions on the searches. I used -reprint in combination of 1 bid and went from 1600+ choices to 800+ choices...so it cut the time in half to scroll through all listings.

Regards,

Old 03-25-2008, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

"I posted 2 weeks ago that I had emailed ebay about this very problem and asked others to do so also so they could see it wasn't just one lonely voice in the wilderness but apparently almost all here either feel it is someone else's "job" or they are too lazy to do it. Until many collectors do this, it will continue unimpeded and you have no one to blame but yourselves."

I complained and I'm sure that other have also. After the above diatribe, would you like some cheese to go along with your whine?

Old 03-25-2008, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

double post........delete the troll

Old 03-25-2008, 05:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rawn Hill

I have e-mailed.