NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-15-2020, 12:10 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I rarely, if ever anymore, unless I've asked for additional information, bid on any sellers who don't show back scans.
I learned my lesson the hard way bidding on a 52 Topps Larry Doby card that also didn't have a back scan.
I was naive and took their word the card was VG but when I received the card, it had paper loss on the back.
Likewise about rarely buying without full scans. I knew the drill about these things, but since this seller appears to have so many decent looking high numbers, I thought I'd take the chance with one of them (and find out if it was someone who might be used reliably for a long time to come for them, especially since they're so tough to find for a decent price).
Old 02-15-2020, 12:28 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsagain74 View Post
Likewise about rarely buying without full scans. I knew the drill about these things, but since this seller appears to have so many decent looking high numbers, I thought I'd take the chance with one of them (and find out if it was someone who might be used reliably for a long time to come for them, especially since they're so tough to find for a decent price).
It's definitely a live and learn hobby where it requires more than just trusting the seller and their listings.

I've made some mistakes and have made out OK occasionally but just when you think you know what your're doing, you get kicked in the ---sack again!

I just purchased a card the other night I thought I did very well on only to realize, through the info from asking another site member, I likely overpaid for it.

Despite these occasional hiccups along the way, none, so far, have made me want to stop collecting.

Good luck with your continued set build.
Old 02-15-2020, 03:16 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

I just picked up another partial 52 set. I've been averaging about 1 per month. Upgrading mine, and selling castoffs. I'll tell ya, deals are few to be had. There are a ton of eyeballs on these singles and lots, and of course you have the nefarious activity and speculators boosting prices.

I paid full retail for a full low set and 10 highs, to get 7 highs I needed! it appears with will be low number upgrades thankfully.

It is a lot of work and requires patience, but don't keep bad cards that don't fit, you don't like, or ones you think might be trimmed. More so overpaying for ones that would be a psa 1 because f a defect you didn't know about...with eye appeal!

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 02-15-2020 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-21-2020, 05:35 AM
J0hn H@rper

Opinions on the toughest notable high number to both find and get a fair price on?

From what I've seen, it's Hoyt Wilhelm. Even though the Mathews has the rep for it, seems like Hoyt is even worse. Its BV is 10-15% of the set's Mays, for example, but you're gonna pay almost half of Willie for the few that you'll find offered. Crazy.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:10 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Easy answer

Tony bartirome!

One guy has been hoarding them. About $300 for one in Poor condition these days

Old 02-21-2020, 06:24 AM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Easy answer

Tony bartirome!

One guy has been hoarding them. About $300 for one in Poor condition these days
Just looked....

He's more expensive than Wilhelm. I hadn't looked into any outliers in the high number commons yet (wasn't much point since I know I'll probably be picking them up at such a very low rate), and I had not heard about the Bartirome befuddlement.

Thanks for the info. That one will be plenty of fun....
Old 02-21-2020, 06:46 AM
J0hn H@rper

A few commons picked up and a nice SGC 4 Rizzuto that no one seemed to want.

An overall update:

I now have just over 1/4 of the set. Am satisfied with what I've gotten for the $ so far. Berra PSA 4, Rizzuto SGC 4, Feller SGC 5.5, high # Koshorek PSA 9 OC, Klu raw 4-5, Hodges raw 4-5, and the rest commons with a few very minor stars.

The commons/minors are grade 1.5-3, with very few a shade higher. I doubt this trend of higher grades for the stars will continue. But when it comes to some of these lower demand bigger names.....why spend the 25 bucks necessary for a much inferior card when I can occasionally find something much nicer for 45? (Hodges, in that case).

$1200 spent on all these '52 T so far

103/407
Old 02-21-2020, 06:51 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsagain74 View Post
Opinions on the toughest notable high number to both find and get a fair price on?

From what I've seen, it's Hoyt Wilhelm. Even though the Mathews has the rep for it, seems like Hoyt is even worse. Its BV is 10-15% of the set's Mays, for example, but you're gonna pay almost half of Willie for the few that you'll find offered. Crazy.
Roy Campanella also comes to mind.
Old 02-21-2020, 07:54 AM
Al Richter

There is a great back story on the Bartirome hoarder. Glad I got mine years ago.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:16 AM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
There is a great back story on the Bartirome hoarder. Glad I got mine years ago.
Just googled it. That will make for an interesting bathroom read (or three)
Old 03-10-2020, 05:46 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
It's definitely a live and learn hobby where it requires more than just trusting the seller and their listings.

I've made some mistakes and have made out OK occasionally but just when you think you know what your're doing, you get kicked in the ---sack again!

I just purchased a card the other night I thought I did very well on only to realize, through the info from asking another site member, I likely overpaid for it.

Despite these occasional hiccups along the way, none, so far, have made me want to stop collecting.

Good luck with your continued set build.
The card in question, which just arrived today.

It was pointed out to me, after I purchased it, that the card might be damaged, which, after looking more closely at it, I realized it myself. (my excitement about purchasing/winning it got the best of me)

Needless to say, I was somewhat concerned up until today, but upon arrival, I was glad to see it was either a shadow or something else that showed up on the back scan of the card.

1952 Topps Johnny Sain error card with the Joe Page bio.

This was the last pitcher Ruth faced in 1935 and the first pitcher Jackie Robinson faced in his MLB debut in 1947.

I'm pretty happy, especially now, to own this card!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Johnny Sain Joe Page bio 52 Topps back.jpg (79.6 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg Johnny Sain Joe Page bio 52 Topps front.jpg (77.6 KB, 311 views)
Old 03-10-2020, 06:42 PM
Mike Dugan

Irv great card. Maybe I misunderstood your post but Sain broke into the majors in 1942 and Page in 1944. Neither would have faced Ruth.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:56 PM
Randy Trierweiler

From Johnny Sains obituary:

During World War II, he became a Navy aviator and pitched for a military team that included Ted Williams and other big leaguers. On July 28, 1943, his team played an exhibition game at Yankee Stadium against a group of major leaguers managed by Babe Ruth.

"In the fifth inning, Babe decides to pinch-hit," Mr. Sain once recalled. "So here I am, pitching to the Babe. Between me and the ump, we walked the Babe."

It was the last time Ruth ever appeared in an organized game. Four years later, on April 15, 1947, Mr. Sain was the first pitcher to face Jackie Robinson, who broke baseball's color barrier with the Brooklyn Dodgers.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:06 PM
D@le Irv*n

I wasn't aware of the whole story Cardinal collector posted but I will add these. (below)
Although I can no longer find the story (still searching) I read an article that read, due to Sain being the last pitcher Ruth faced and the first pitcher Jackie faced, this is why the Sain, Page bio error is more sought after than the Page, Sain error card.
PSA's article is wrong. It states Ruth faced Sain in 1935, which is not true. 1943 makes a lot more sense.

John Franklin “Johnny” Sain (September 25, 1917 - November 7, 2006) has the unique distinction of being the final pitcher that Babe Ruth faced in his career in 1935 and the first hurler that Jackie Robinson would face in the big leagues after breaking the color barrier in 1947.

https://www.psacard.com/cardfacts/ba...t-bio-49/22973

Sain also had the distinction of being the last pitcher to face Babe Ruth[3] in a game and the first in the Major League to throw a pitch against Jackie Robinson.[4]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Sain

Last edited by irv; 03-10-2020 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:10 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Since I need a signed Al Benton, I've found he is the only pitcher to face both Ruth and Mantle