NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 01-19-2023, 08:24 PM

Default OpenAI - Chatgpt

I have fallen into a wormhole and have hardly been able to breathe. has anyone else gotten into this?

If you haven't, you really should look into it - your mind will explode, or melt

I have been finding the ability to create basic code and get it deployed as the most valuable to me so far, but the possibilities, endless

prepare for your lives to become fully immersed in ai - soon

dnilgis
Old 01-20-2023, 02:06 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnilgis View Post
I have fallen into a wormhole and have hardly been able to breathe. has anyone else gotten into this?

If you haven't, you really should look into it - your mind will explode, or melt

I have been finding the ability to create basic code and get it deployed as the most valuable to me so far, but the possibilities, endless

prepare for your lives to become fully immersed in ai - soon

dnilgis
OMG - My older son was just telling me about this ChatGPT last weekend, and was going on and on about it. After a little research on my own, I find that it basically draws from data that is not necessarily from vetted online data and sites, is still in somewhat of a testing phase, wants you to allow them some access or something to your computer (not exactly sure what that meant or means), often you get all kinds of stories, essays and writings about topics, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are at all accurate or make any sense, the NY City School District I believe has already banned its use and access by teachers and students (they're concerned students will simply have the AI write papers and essays for them and the students will end up actually learning nothing), and the one thing I read concerning AI like this was that if you have an infinite number of monkeys, you'll eventually get them to give you Shakespeare. So, think of this AI as the million monkeys, and maybe not try holding your breath waiting for them to finally produce Shakespeare for you.

Now I don't understand, nor have any need myself, to do computer coding or such like that, which is apparently one of the things this AI is supposed to be good at. But let me tell you a real world story why crap like this is not always so good. When I passed the CPA exam and started working in one of the "Big Eight" accounting firms back in the '70s, we did all the tax returns pretty much by hand then. So, we had to understand and learn the rules, nuances, and idiosyncrasies of the tax code, actually calculate the math and formulas to figure things out using ten-key adding machines and pencil and paper, and apply that across all the different areas of a person's or business' tax returns. Fast forward years later to how tax programs are the thing everyone now uses, even in pretty much all the tax and accounting firms around the world. I, and other veteran CPAs like myself, would have the newer, younger hires that also went to and graduated college, sat and passed for the CPA exam, and were often smart as hell, that were working under us, and we would review their tax work before finalizing things to then send and file for our clients. My older colleagues and I that had started out actually doing taxes by hand would also laugh and say we wish we had a dollar for every time we got a tax software generated return to review from one of our young charges, and just took one look at it and almost immediately said to the preparer, I'm not 100% sure what, but something is wrong. They would invariably look at us with this sort of dear-in-the-headlights gaze and tell us, well that is what the computer came up with!!! The problem is, these kids, as we called them, never learned taxes, they just learned the software, and where to plug in the numbers. Even today, tax software has gotten to the point where many places don't even type in W-2 and 1099 type info. They simply scan the forms clients would give us into the system with no real human review or involvement. Problem is, software, and humans, still make lots of mistakes. My older colleagues and I had done enough returns over the decades that we knew what was going on, and the tax software was just a tool we could use to do things faster. But the younger people coming up didn't really learn taxes, they just learned the tax software and where they thought the numbers should go. They didn't even know what they didn't know, so thank God us old farts were around to catch things and tell them how to find and correct all the errors. And that is exactly why relying upon programs and stuff like these AI programs and aids isn't always the best and smartest things to go to and have everybody start relying on. At some point all the true, old-time experts that actually know what they're doing are gone, and if after that point the technology ever fails or falters, good luck trying to fix things when the tools that would normally be used to fix things are broken themselves, and now there's really no one left around that knows how to fix or rebuild those tools, or WTF they're really doing.

Last edited by BobC; 01-20-2023 at 02:07 AM.
Old 01-21-2023, 09:08 PM

I appreciate your reply, I fed my original post and also your response into chatgpt and the following was the result;

I understand your concerns about the limitations and potential drawbacks of using AI tools like ChatGPT. It is true that the model is trained on a large dataset of text from the internet, and the accuracy and relevance of the information it generates can vary. Additionally, the model is still in a testing phase and there may be bugs or limitations in its performance. However, it is important to note that the model is not intended to replace human knowledge or expertise, but rather to assist in tasks such as language generation and understanding. As a language model, ChatGPT is not able to access your computer and it is not a tax software, so the scenarios you described do not apply to it.

It is also true that AI-generated content can be used for academic dishonesty, that's why it is important to use it responsibly and ethically. The model is not a replacement for learning and understanding a subject, but rather a tool that can assist in tasks such as language generation, language understanding, and other related tasks.

It is also important to note that AI and Machine Learning is still an evolving field and the capabilities are rapidly changing. It is important to stay informed about the latest developments and use the technology responsibly and ethically.

#notai im back, I read somewhere yesterday that the associated press (ap) has been generating articles for 18 months and passing them off as a journalist written pieces....no one knew the difference, think about that.
Old 01-21-2023, 09:51 PM
sc0tt_kirkn.er

The AI essay writing software is pretty scary (as a parent of teenage children). Usually, the only "tell" from the AI produced material is that it is too well organized and supported by evidence to pass as a high school student's own work product. And, it is remarkably simple to generate. Within 10 minutes, an 8th grader can generate "A" level written reports on about 20 high school/college level novels (whether they be classics or obscure), each capable of passing plagiarism software.

I suppose the academic solution will be to start recording a student's written material from grade school to high school, then have each new submission run through an AI program to see if the sentence structure and word choice is consistent with the student's prior writing. In essence, use AI to detect AI. But, in the short term, it is very difficult to ascertain the cheaters, and quite the handicap for those that don't want to cheat.

Last edited by Smarti5051; 01-21-2023 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-21-2023, 10:25 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarti5051 View Post
The AI essay writing software is pretty scary (as a parent of teenage children). Usually, the only "tell" from the AI produced material is that it is too well organized and supported by evidence to pass as a high school student's own work product. And, it is remarkably simple to generate. Within 10 minutes, an 8th grader can generate "A" level written reports on about 20 high school/college level novels (whether they be classics or obscure), each capable of passing plagiarism software.

I suppose the academic solution will be to start recording a student's written material from grade school to high school, then have each new submission run through an AI program to see if the sentence structure and word choice is consistent with the student's prior writing. In essence, use AI to detect AI. But, in the short term, it is very difficult to ascertain the cheaters, and quite the handicap for those that don't want to cheat.
What If you just tell the Ai to add grammatical imperfections throughout?

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale
Old 01-21-2023, 10:31 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
I appreciate your reply, I fed my original post and also your response into chatgpt and the following was the result;

I understand your concerns about the limitations and potential drawbacks of using AI tools like ChatGPT. It is true that the model is trained on a large dataset of text from the internet, and the accuracy and relevance of the information it generates can vary. Additionally, the model is still in a testing phase and there may be bugs or limitations in its performance. However, it is important to note that the model is not intended to replace human knowledge or expertise, but rather to assist in tasks such as language generation and understanding. As a language model, ChatGPT is not able to access your computer and it is not a tax software, so the scenarios you described do not apply to it.

It is also true that AI-generated content can be used for academic dishonesty, that's why it is important to use it responsibly and ethically. The model is not a replacement for learning and understanding a subject, but rather a tool that can assist in tasks such as language generation, language understanding, and other related tasks.

It is also important to note that AI and Machine Learning is still an evolving field and the capabilities are rapidly changing. It is important to stay informed about the latest developments and use the technology responsibly and ethically.

#notai im back, I read somewhere yesterday that the associated press (ap) has been generating articles for 18 months and passing them off as a journalist written pieces....no one knew the difference, think about that.
I was well aware it was in a test phase. My son told me something about how when he was looking at and accessing it that they wanted him to accept tokens or something on his computer. Don't know any more than that. And the story about tax software isn't supposed to be a specific story, just an indication, whether you want to admit it or not, that many people often bypass actually learning things and come to rely upon these wonderful computers, apps and so on, instead. And then if for any reason these computer programs fail, get hacked, or otherwise get compromised and don't work, then what do people do. I get the story about the Associated Press using something like this to generate stories. But what the hell does the AP do then if at some point down the road the software fails, and there's no one left around that can actually write the stories? i may sound like the grumpy old man yelling at people to get off my lawn, but one thing I have learned is that if everyone thinks these wonderful AI and software aides will never fail or cause problems, they haven't been around long enough.

I'd at least wait till the testing period is completed, and there is some more feedback available before jumping in to use this, or at least make sure I knew what to do so that if the software did fail, I could still do it myself, or at least find another way around to get what I needed done.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/what-i...-need-to-know/

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-ne...orks-rcna64446

Remember the movie Wall-E, and how all the humans on the spaceship looked and the shape they were in. Just what we need, more aides to do every little thing for us so we don't even have to do things like think and type are own emails and responses anymore. Seems like doctors and the medical profession just keep telling all of us how we humans need to be doing more activities and using our brains and hands to help keep our minds healthy and active, especially as we get older. Things like this ChatGPT seem to do the polar opposite.

Last edited by BobC; 01-22-2023 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-22-2023, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Remember the movie Wall-E, and how all the humans on the spaceship looked and the shape they were in. Just what we need, more aides to do every little thing for us so we don't even have to do things like think and type are own emails and responses anymore. Seems like doctors and the medical profession just keep telling all of us how we humans need to be doing more activities and using our brains and hands to help keep our minds healthy and active, especially as we get older. Things like this ChatGPT seem to do the polar opposite.
Wall-E? My mind went to to the Terminator movies...compared to that, being fat and dumb doesn't sound that bad (on any given day, I'm half way there anyway).
Old 01-22-2023, 07:49 AM
James M.

We've opened pandora's box, I'm afraid.

I do not mean to sound like a conspiracy theorist, as we are in the early stages with everything. However some of this AI generated art, is incredible. I'm sure it will be able to generate decent quality music/lyrics as well soon. Students were already attempting to use it to write papers. And the more information you feed into it, the more it learns. Sounds an awful lot like Skynet if you ask me (I joke)

I saw recently the other day, that Microsoft put a hefty sum of money into AI, to integrate it within its platforms. Time will tell what truly will happen.

Technology can be a wonderful thing. It makes communication so much easier, it has easily brought many people closer together than before. However sometimes, even as a younger person, I wish things didn't move so fast. Too many people are caught up in the craze. Glued to their smart phones, or their tablet screens. Sometimes simpler, is better.

In the wise words of Ferris Bueller : “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 01-22-2023, 09:05 AM
Dave

I can't wait for the day when the Cable Company's customer service chatbot, hands off the phone to the customer service manager chatbot.

"Yes sir, I will escalate this to the chatbot in charge."

Old 01-22-2023, 10:35 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post
Wall-E? My mind went to to the Terminator movies...compared to that, being fat and dumb doesn't sound that bad (on any given day, I'm half way there anyway).

Mike,

I thought of the Terminator movie series also, but figured if I went there I'd get lots of crap for being so dark and morbid. LOL Buy if you want to go to an even farther extreme, what about the Matrix movies?

The scary thing is our entire systems of government, infrastructures, economies, power grids, and even our military, are all so computer, technology, and AI dependent it is absolutely scary. Every country in the world likely has people out there that do nothing more than hack, infiltrate, try to get into and grab information and data, if not figure out a way to sabotage such programs if needed, or maybe even take over such computer systems and software entirely, if they can, of every other country in the world. And that most definitely includes the U.S. (private citizens and the government) doing it against at least some other countries of the world as well. This is no conspiracy theory! Look at the war in Ukraine, and the vast role drones and other computer system guided weapons play in it. Or how in the beginning Russia sought to completely disable Ukraine's internet and satellite service. These computer games that our kids have been playing for decades now are maybe not just games after all. In some ways maybe they should be considered early advanced military training of the future.

Future major world conflicts are all likely to involve computer attacks on other's systems, power grids, communications, everything to slow down and stop communications and weaponry. Why send in spies or saboteurs to blow up a power plant or weapons production facility when you can possibly shut them down from the other side of the world by simply hacking into their computer system?

And before some troll starts saying I'm crazy, just go back to what happened in 2003 I believe it was. Forgive me if I'm off a year or so. Anyone else remember the disaster that occurred where most of the entire Northeast part of the U.S. power grid went down for 2 or 3 days, and millions and millions of people, plants, hospitals, schools, government agencies, and so on were without electrical power? My understanding was that after they finally got things fixed, they finally determined the initial cause was simply due to a tree branch coming down and hitting a power line in Walton Hills, Ohio, a Cleveland suburb and maybe less than 10 miles from where I'm sitting right now. Somehow that tree branch supposedly triggered something that clicked off the power grid system like a domino effect, till it covered most of the Northeast part of our country. And the powers that be couldn't just go flip a breaker switch to turn it all back on. Took them two or three days to figure out how to get everything reset and back up and running. Really think about that, two or three days to figure out and get the systems back online and up and running, and that wasn't supposedly due to an outside computer hack or systems attack.

Or how many of you remember Enron and the financial disaster that was? Truth be told, if it wasn't for computers and the ability to use programs and software like that, there never would have been an Enron because you never would have been able to have just the few people really in on the scam able to control all the activity and data between the 200+ companies that were set up to fool everybody. The computers and programs that make things so fast and easy to do also make it fast and easy for people to commit financial and other crimes.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, technology is great......till it isn't! And it isn't a question of if it may be used for or go bad, it is a question of when!
Old 01-22-2023, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas00 View Post
What If you just tell the Ai to add grammatical imperfections throughout?
I am in red, responses after;

tell me the origins of baseball cards

Baseball cards have been around since the late 19th century. The first baseball cards were included as a means of advertising cigarettes and other tobacco products. The cards featured pictures of baseball players and other famous figures of the time. They were distributed in packs of cigarettes, and the cards quickly became popular collectibles. Over time, the cards evolved to include statistics and other information about the players, and they are now a staple of the sports memorabilia market.

dnil gis
rewrite at 1st grade level

Baseball cards are pictures of baseball players that people like to collect. They have been around for a long time, over 100 years. People used to get them in packs of cigarettes. Now they have fun facts and information about the players. People like to keep them and look at them. They are special because they are about baseball players.

dnil gis
6th grade level

Baseball cards are special cards that feature pictures of baseball players and other information about them. They have been around since the late 1800s and were originally included as a form of advertising for cigarettes and other tobacco products. As a result, they were distributed in packs of cigarettes and became a popular collectible item. Over time, baseball cards have evolved to include more information about the players, such as their statistics, and are now a staple in the sports memorabilia market. Many people collect baseball cards as a hobby and enjoy learning about the players and teams featured on the cards.

dnil gis
how about in the voice of abraham lincoln

My dear friends, let me tell you about these peculiar collectibles known as baseball cards. They have been around since the late 1800s, and were initially utilized as a means of advertising for tobacco products, distributed in packs of cigarettes. But lo and behold, they have become a popular means of collection among the people.

As time passed, these cards have evolved to include information such as statistics and other details of the players featured on them. They have become a staple in the sports memorabilia market and have been widely collected by many.

I myself am not much of a collector, but I can understand the appeal of these cards. They serve as a means of preserving the legacy of our nation's favorite pastime, and the players who have graced the diamond.

So, whether you're a collector or not, baseball cards are a unique and interesting part of our nation's history and culture.

dnil gis
in the voice of homer simpson

Mmm... baseball cards, let me tell you about these babies. They been around since way back, you know, when they used to stick 'em in packs of smokes. But now, they're like gold! You got pictures of all your favorite players, stats, even some fun facts. They're a collector's dream!

Me, I ain't much of a collector, but I gotta admit, I love flipping through them and checking out all the players, it's like reliving the glory days of baseball.

So, if you're into collecting, or just love baseball, you gotta get yourself some of these cards. They're like a little piece of baseball history in your pocket. And who doesn't love baseball, am I right? Woohoo!

dnil gis
as a leprechaun

Ah, baseball cards! Let me tell ya, they're a rare treasure indeed. Ye see, they've been around since the late 1800s, originally bundled in packs of cigarettes as a form of advertisement. But now, they're a highly sought after collectible.

As time has passed, these cards have evolved to include all sorts of information about the players, from their stats to fun facts. They're a staple in the sports memorabilia market, and a prized possession for any collector.

I may not be much of a collector meself, but I do appreciate the history and tradition behind these cards. They're a unique way to honor the players of our beloved national pastime.

So, whether ye be a collector or just a lover of the game, baseball cards are a true gem. A little piece of baseball history, they are. Don't be shy, go out and get yerself some!

dnil gis
how about as jerry seinfeld

Baseball cards, what's the deal with them? I mean, I remember as a kid getting them in packs of gum, you know? But now, they're like these highly sought-after collectibles. It's crazy.

And the information they have on them now, it's like they're mini-encyclopedias of baseball players. Stats, fun facts, the works. They're like these little time capsules of the game.

Me, I'm not much of a collector, but I can see the appeal. It's like these cards are preserving the legacy of baseball and the players who have made the game what it is.

So, whether you're a collector or just a fan of the game, baseball cards are definitely worth checking out. They're like a little piece of baseball history in your hands. And that's a pretty cool thing, if you ask me.

dnil gis
post doc

Baseball cards have a rich history that dates back to the late 19th century. They were originally created as a form of advertising for tobacco products and were distributed in packs of cigarettes. However, as they became more popular, they evolved to include more information about the players, such as statistics, and became a staple in the sports memorabilia market.

The cards have been used as a way to preserve the legacy of baseball, and the players who have made the game what it is today. They also serve as a way for fans to connect with the players and teams they admire.

The study of baseball cards has been an interesting field of research. It includes the examination of the production process, the collecting and trading practices, the cultural and social meanings and the economic value of the cards.

Today, baseball cards are not only valuable to collectors, but also to researchers and historians who are interested in understanding the cultural significance of baseball and its role in American society.

Last edited by dnilgis; 01-22-2023 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-22-2023, 10:46 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
I can't wait for the day when the Cable Company's customer service chatbot, hands off the phone to the customer service manager chatbot.

"Yes sir, I will escalate this to the chatbot in charge."

Don't laugh, took me over 5 minutes the other day to finally get a human on the line to ask a question of Bank of America about something on a statement I got from them. I despise those automated telephone answering systems. The companies love them though since it allows them to hire less employees and saves them money, while putting people out of work. What you described isn't that far-fetched at all the way things seem to be going.
Old 01-22-2023, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Mike,

I thought of the Terminator movie series also, but figured if I went there I'd get lots of crap for being so dark and morbid. LOL Buy if you want to go to an even farther extreme, what about the Matrix movies?

The scary thing is our entire systems of government, infrastructures, economies, power grids, and even our military, are all so computer, technology, and AI dependent it is absolutely scary. Every country in the world likely has people out there that do nothing more than hack, infiltrate, try to get into and grab information and data, if not figure out a way to sabotage such programs if needed, or maybe even take over such computer systems and software entirely, if they can, of every other country in the world. And that most definitely includes the U.S. (private citizens and the government) doing it against at least some other countries of the world as well. This is no conspiracy theory! Look at the war in Ukraine, and the vast role drones and other computer system guided weapons play in it. Or how in the beginning Russia sought to completely disable Ukraine's internet and satellite service. These computer games that our kids have been playing for decades now are maybe not just games after all. In some ways maybe they should be considered early advanced military training of the future.

Future major world conflicts are all likely to involve computer attacks on other's systems, power grids, communications, everything to slow down and stop communications and weaponry. Why send in spies or saboteurs to blow up a power plant or weapons production facility when you can possibly shut them down from the other side of the world by simply hacking into their computer system?

And before some troll starts saying I'm crazy, just go back to what happened in 2003 I believe it was. Forgive me if I'm off a year or so. Anyone else remember the disaster that occurred where most of the entire Northeast part of the U.S. power grid went down for 2 or 3 days, and millions and millions of people, plants, hospitals, schools, government agencies, and so on were without electrical power? My understanding was that after they finally got things fixed, they finally determined the initial cause was simply due to a tree branch coming down and hitting a power line in Walton Hills, Ohio, a Cleveland suburb and maybe less than 10 miles from where I'm sitting right now. Somehow that tree branch supposedly triggered something that clicked off the power grid system like a domino effect, till it covered most of the Northeast part of our country. And the powers that be couldn't just go flip a breaker switch to turn it all back on. Took them two or three days to figure out how to get everything reset and back up and running. Really think about that, two or three days to figure out and get the systems back online and up and running, and that wasn't supposedly due to an outside computer hack or systems attack.

Or how many of you remember Enron and the financial disaster that was? Truth be told, if it wasn't for computers and the ability to use programs and software like that, there never would have been an Enron because you never would have been able to have just the few people really in on the scam able to control all the activity and data between the 200+ companies that were set up to fool everybody. The computers and programs that make things so fast and easy to do also make it fast and easy for people to commit financial and other crimes.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, technology is great......till it isn't! And it isn't a question of if it may be used for or go bad, it is a question of when!
following is ai

You raise valid concerns about the increasing dependence on technology and the potential for cyber attacks to disrupt critical systems such as power grids and communication networks. The potential for these types of attacks is a concern for governments and organizations worldwide, and there is ongoing research and development to improve cybersecurity measures to protect against them. The incidents you mentioned, such as the Northeast power outage in 2003 and the Enron scandal, highlight the potential consequences of technology failures or malicious actors exploiting vulnerabilities in systems. It is important for governments, organizations, and individuals to be aware of the risks and take steps to mitigate them.
Old 01-22-2023, 10:56 AM

Default I'll stop now I promise...

tell me about net54baseball.com
I am not familiar with the specific website net54baseball.com. However, it appears to be a forum dedicated to the discussion and collecting of vintage baseball cards and memorabilia. It has been around since 2004. It is a community of collectors and hobbyists, where they can share their knowledge, experiences, and love for the hobby. They discuss everything from the latest trends and news in the hobby, to tips for identifying and grading cards, to specific players, teams, and sets. It also serves as a marketplace for buying and selling cards, as well as connecting with other collectors.

dnil gis
any more detail

Net54baseball.com is a website that was created by Steven Keyman in 2004, it is a online forum community for collectors and enthusiasts of vintage baseball cards and memorabilia. The website has a wide range of topics, including but not limited to:

General baseball card collecting discussions
Show and tell of member's collections
Grading and authentication of cards
Discussions of specific card sets, players and teams
A marketplace for buying and selling cards and other memorabilia
News and updates on the hobby
An area for members to share their personal experiences and stories in collecting.
It is a well-established website with a large and active community of members, and is considered a valuable resource for those interested in vintage baseball card collecting.

dnil gis
let's create some catchy slogans

"Net54baseball.com: where vintage meets passion"
"Collect, Connect, and Share at Net54baseball.com"
"Building a community of baseball card enthusiasts, one collector at a time"
"Score big with Net54baseball.com"
"The ultimate destination for vintage baseball card collectors"
"Join the conversation at Net54baseball.com"
"Discover the history of baseball cards at Net54baseball.com"
"Net54baseball.com: a community built on a love of the game"
"Find your next treasure at Net54baseball.com"
"Building a community of collectors, one card at a time"
Old 01-22-2023, 11:28 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
I am in red, responses after;

tell me the origins of baseball cards

Baseball cards have been around since the late 19th century. The first baseball cards were included as a means of advertising cigarettes and other tobacco products. The cards featured pictures of baseball players and other famous figures of the time. They were distributed in packs of cigarettes, and the cards quickly became popular collectibles. Over time, the cards evolved to include statistics and other information about the players, and they are now a staple of the sports memorabilia market.

dnil gis
rewrite at 1st grade level

Baseball cards are pictures of baseball players that people like to collect. They have been around for a long time, over 100 years. People used to get them in packs of cigarettes. Now they have fun facts and information about the players. People like to keep them and look at them. They are special because they are about baseball players.

dnil gis
6th grade level

Baseball cards are special cards that feature pictures of baseball players and other information about them. They have been around since the late 1800s and were originally included as a form of advertising for cigarettes and other tobacco products. As a result, they were distributed in packs of cigarettes and became a popular collectible item. Over time, baseball cards have evolved to include more information about the players, such as their statistics, and are now a staple in the sports memorabilia market. Many people collect baseball cards as a hobby and enjoy learning about the players and teams featured on the cards.

dnil gis
how about in the voice of abraham lincoln

My dear friends, let me tell you about these peculiar collectibles known as baseball cards. They have been around since the late 1800s, and were initially utilized as a means of advertising for tobacco products, distributed in packs of cigarettes. But lo and behold, they have become a popular means of collection among the people.

As time passed, these cards have evolved to include information such as statistics and other details of the players featured on them. They have become a staple in the sports memorabilia market and have been widely collected by many.

I myself am not much of a collector, but I can understand the appeal of these cards. They serve as a means of preserving the legacy of our nation's favorite pastime, and the players who have graced the diamond.

So, whether you're a collector or not, baseball cards are a unique and interesting part of our nation's history and culture.

dnil gis
in the voice of homer simpson

Mmm... baseball cards, let me tell you about these babies. They been around since way back, you know, when they used to stick 'em in packs of smokes. But now, they're like gold! You got pictures of all your favorite players, stats, even some fun facts. They're a collector's dream!

Me, I ain't much of a collector, but I gotta admit, I love flipping through them and checking out all the players, it's like reliving the glory days of baseball.

So, if you're into collecting, or just love baseball, you gotta get yourself some of these cards. They're like a little piece of baseball history in your pocket. And who doesn't love baseball, am I right? Woohoo!

dnil gis
as a leprechaun

Ah, baseball cards! Let me tell ya, they're a rare treasure indeed. Ye see, they've been around since the late 1800s, originally bundled in packs of cigarettes as a form of advertisement. But now, they're a highly sought after collectible.

As time has passed, these cards have evolved to include all sorts of information about the players, from their stats to fun facts. They're a staple in the sports memorabilia market, and a prized possession for any collector.

I may not be much of a collector meself, but I do appreciate the history and tradition behind these cards. They're a unique way to honor the players of our beloved national pastime.

So, whether ye be a collector or just a lover of the game, baseball cards are a true gem. A little piece of baseball history, they are. Don't be shy, go out and get yerself some!

dnil gis
how about as jerry seinfeld

Baseball cards, what's the deal with them? I mean, I remember as a kid getting them in packs of gum, you know? But now, they're like these highly sought-after collectibles. It's crazy.

And the information they have on them now, it's like they're mini-encyclopedias of baseball players. Stats, fun facts, the works. They're like these little time capsules of the game.

Me, I'm not much of a collector, but I can see the appeal. It's like these cards are preserving the legacy of baseball and the players who have made the game what it is.

So, whether you're a collector or just a fan of the game, baseball cards are definitely worth checking out. They're like a little piece of baseball history in your hands. And that's a pretty cool thing, if you ask me.

dnil gis
post doc

Baseball cards have a rich history that dates back to the late 19th century. They were originally created as a form of advertising for tobacco products and were distributed in packs of cigarettes. However, as they became more popular, they evolved to include more information about the players, such as statistics, and became a staple in the sports memorabilia market.

The cards have been used as a way to preserve the legacy of baseball, and the players who have made the game what it is today. They also serve as a way for fans to connect with the players and teams they admire.

The study of baseball cards has been an interesting field of research. It includes the examination of the production process, the collecting and trading practices, the cultural and social meanings and the economic value of the cards.

Today, baseball cards are not only valuable to collectors, but also to researchers and historians who are interested in understanding the cultural significance of baseball and its role in American society.
dnilgis,

I get it, that is fun and can easily see how you can go down a rabbit hole using something like it. LOL

Some sources say this is going to end up replacing Google one day. I'm also awaiting how they are going to monetize it as well, because let's face it, the people who started this up didn't do it for just fun, or solely for the betterment of mankind. Even Musk was originally involved with this AI if I understand correctly.

But that said, there is legitimate concern as to how AI like this can affect learning and knowledge, along with questions of how one can be sure the information they are receiving is completely accurate and correct. In the end, isn't this sort of still like Wikipedia, that relies on people providing research and info to help supposedly vet all the data that is presented, and yet still may not always be 100% accurate. And what about someone possibly getting into the system to purposely change data for their own purposes. The way political groups and foreign parties seem to operate these days, would you really put it past them to not change information in such programs to maybe send out the messages they want so as to influence the public. I can already see FOX and CNN both turning out their own AI bot platforms/systems at some point in the future already.

And before anyone says they don't think such AI/software systems could ever be hacked, anyone else remember right back after Baker Mayfield and the Oklahoma Sooners beat Ohio State on 9/9/17 on their home turf in Ohio Stadium? Not long after it came out that if you went on your iPhone and asked Siri (another maybe more simplistic form of an AI chat) who owned Ohio Stadium, Siri came right back and immediately responded "Baker Mayfield owns Ohio Stadium!"

Wasn't up for long, but it was still up there.
Old 01-22-2023, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
I saw recently the other day, that Microsoft put a hefty sum of money into AI, to integrate it within its platforms. Time will tell what truly will happen
They also announced the other day that they were laying of 10,000 employees. When the rich people can stay rich with chatbots instead of us, they don't need us anymore.
Old 01-22-2023, 01:33 PM

Coincidentally, this article showed up in Firefox's Get Pocket recommended articles. It's relevant to this thread and a fairly interesting read on the topic:

This 22-year-old is trying to save us from ChatGPT before it changes writing forever
Old 01-22-2023, 02:51 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post
They also announced the other day that they were laying of 10,000 employees. When the rich people can stay rich with chatbots instead of us, they don't need us anymore.
The entire accounting profession has been warning of the same thing for years now. They've predicted that the world's biggest auditing firms will likely be cutting staffs by up to half in the coming decades. Instead of having actual human auditors going in to review and search/look at client records, they're in the process of developing this AI type software to simply plug into a client's accounting software system, and it will automatically pull out all the data and information that human auditors used to look at, assess, and then decide what else to possibly look at/test, and so on. I used to joke to colleagues that I can see the future now. Instead of an accounting/auditing firm showing up at a client's offices with a group of auditors to start going through the books and records, they'll end up sending out just one person, who upon arrival will ask for access to a laptop or something tied into the company's computer system. They'll simply pull out a zip drive containing their auditing software made specifically for the software the client company uses to keep its books and records on, and plug it into the laptop or whatever, and then go get a cup of coffee and BS with the company's CFO or Controller for a few minutes. After finishing their coffee, they'll grab the zip drive, which the program on it has now gone through and copied from the client's entire set of files, data, and records, the bulk of the testing selections and such other detail, work, and info that trained auditors used to perform and do, including replacing their skeptical eye and instincts to review and investigate potential client errors, problems, and issues, and then head right back to their acounting office. The main problem with something like this is the people writing the auditing software are likely reliant upon the people (or maybe in some cases the same people) that wrote the accounting software the client company uses to begin with. No possible bias or conflicts with that, right? And the worst part is the software is written by software people to begin with, not by actual trained and experienced accounting auditors. No chance for errors or screw ups at all, right.

Let me tell you as someone who has lived through the entire history of tax preparation software, a lot of it is not great, and mostly all written by programming nerds who only do things their way. If an actual CPA/tax professional were to write such software, I know that in my personal case at least, I would have made ton of changes to the way those tax programs work and are set up and operate and calculate things. My understanding is that programmers always say they can't do it the way that many tax professional would like and prefer, because that isn't how programming works. Many people would be surprised at all the issues and errors that supposedly even top of the line tax software has been providing the public for decades. Don't get me wrong, tax accountants and CPAs still use these software products for the ease and speed, as well as record and info retention and e-filing capabilities they have, among other things. But, they also hopefully know how to do all the returns and filings without the tax software so they can catch and correct the errors and issues the software can miss or generate. Tax software is a tool, nothing else, and not always a really sharp one!

And when it comes to all software and such, I still remember one prime thing the professors in computer classes used to impress upon us back in college between class sessions and time in the computer center hand typing our work onto punch cards. GIGO And since ultimately all the computers and software are human generated, written, and built, and all humans make errors, you would never, ever be able to completely get away from crap and mistakes that are out there and find their way into virtually all programs.

Last edited by BobC; 01-22-2023 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-26-2023, 03:11 AM
Bob C.

Another article, this one from the CEO of the company behind ChatGPT no less, talking about the possible great things it can maybe do. But then the even worse things it can end up doing to us all apparently. If this isn't a sign for all people to be concerned, what the heck is?

https://news.yahoo.com/ceo-company-b...205203181.html
Old 02-07-2023, 08:38 AM

Default projects using AI

This is the wormhole I mentioned previously, http://braiain.com I put together a website that is a directory for AI powered projects. I have a quite diverse set of developers projects available to review and I bet that there is something for everyone...

Check it out if you curious and let me know what you think.

dnilgis
Old 05-02-2023, 06:03 PM
Jason Presley

I don't get the notion of something like ChatGPT replacing Google. Google is a decent search engine. ChatGPT "doesn't know" much about anything I asked it. I don't have to feed Google page after page of information for it to find me results. I have to spoonfeed ChatGPT, and then it just regurgitates a (decent) summary of what it consumed. I would love a more powerful search engine, I don't need an AI buddy to re-write my blog posts using information I already posted.
Old 05-03-2023, 10:33 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

No, actually Net54baseball.com was created in March of 2009, from previous software with a different name, by me. It's predecessor to this was started by Ell.iot Ba.ssin, around 2001.

Quote:
tell me about net54baseball.com
I am not familiar with the specific website net54baseball.com. However, it appears to be a forum dedicated to the discussion and collecting of vintage baseball cards and memorabilia. It has been around since 2004. It is a community of collectors and hobbyists, where they can share their knowledge, experiences, and love for the hobby. They discuss everything from the latest trends and news in the hobby, to tips for identifying and grading cards, to specific players, teams, and sets. It also serves as a marketplace for buying and selling cards, as well as connecting with other collectors.

dnil gis
any more detail

Net54baseball.com is a website that was created by Steven Keyman in 2004, it is a online forum community for collectors and enthusiasts of vintage baseball cards and memorabilia. The website has a wide range of topics, including but not limited to:

General baseball card collecting discussions
Show and tell of member's collections
Grading and authentication of cards
Discussions of specific card sets, players and teams
A marketplace for buying and selling cards and other memorabilia
News and updates on the hobby
An area for members to share their personal experiences and stories in collecting.
It is a well-established website with a large and active community of members, and is considered a valuable resource for those interested in vintage baseball card collecting.

dnil gis
let's create some catchy slogans

"Net54baseball.com: where vintage meets passion"
"Collect, Connect, and Share at Net54baseball.com"
"Building a community of baseball card enthusiasts, one collector at a time"
"Score big with Net54baseball.com"
"The ultimate destination for vintage baseball card collectors"
"Join the conversation at Net54baseball.com"
"Discover the history of baseball cards at Net54baseball.com"
"Net54baseball.com: a community built on a love of the game"
"Find your next treasure at Net54baseball.com"
"Building a community of collectors, one card at a time"

Last edited by Leon; 05-03-2023 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-03-2023, 01:45 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaClyde View Post
I don't get the notion of something like ChatGPT replacing Google. Google is a decent search engine. ChatGPT "doesn't know" much about anything I asked it. I don't have to feed Google page after page of information for it to find me results. I have to spoonfeed ChatGPT, and then it just regurgitates a (decent) summary of what it consumed. I would love a more powerful search engine, I don't need an AI buddy to re-write my blog posts using information I already posted.
Pretty much agree, although my results from google are much worse. Usually 5-6 pages unrelated to what I searched for, and a ton of pages that copy them word for useless word.