NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-10-2013, 03:50 PM
Bruce Esser

Default Is Ticket Collecting Dead

This spring, as my wife and I have done since the mid 70's we planned a trip to the Phoenix area to catch a few Cactus League games. We made it a family trip with my two daughters and families coming also. We acquired tickets to a Cubs game at HoHoKam, a Diamondbacks game at Salt River, a Giants game at Scottsdale and an Arizona State game. A great vacation.
The down side is all of our tickets were "e-tickets", printed on an inkjet printer at home on ordinary paper. We plan on attending a Cardinals, Royals and perhaps a Twins game this year and they have all moved to eTickets. Even the local "AAA" Storm Chasers are using eTickets. (at least I can do a will call there and get a real ticket).
Is ticket collecting dead? What will we have to remember in 100 years. Even our photographs are bits in cyber space. How will historians do research?

http://www.nebaseballhistory.com/
Old 05-10-2013, 06:23 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

I know what you mean. I'm a graphic designer and designed much of the graphics for Camden Yards, including the first opening day and season tickets. I had a big fight to get the ticket people to make nice tickets printed on a classic uncoated (not shiny) cardstock that you would be proud to carry to a game. I won the battle, but not the war because now all you seem to get are the real sterile computer tickets that look like concert tickets that look like theater tickets, etc. Who would be proud to put a 2008 ticketmaster LA Dodgers ticket next to one that came out of Ebbets Field in the 1940's? It's a shame, but at least the season tickets are still a little colorful for most teams.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:58 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Hi, I like to collect tickets from a players whole career. I started in 1998 collecting McGwire homeruns that year. Then I expanded into all of his homers. Then I started Jim Thome homers. Recently I decided to try and collect all Mike Trout and Bryce Harper homeruns. I thought it would be much easier to collect someone from the start. Last year I managed to make connections and get all the tickets. But this year I found out that the Nationals are moving toward ticketless sales. They have no season tickets. The guys I had gotten them from last year have no hard tickets. I did find one guy who managed to get the team to print him out box office type tickets so that is the best I can do for them. I have heard that other teams are heading this way also. I did send an email to the Nats explaining that no tickets was a bad idea as they are keepsakes and wanted by collectors. Hopefully others will speak up.

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears
Old 05-11-2013, 06:41 PM
Bruce Esser

Wow, Gary your designs are classics. The Camden Yards opening day ticket ranks up there as one of the best ever. Thank you for your great work. I just wish professional baseball would wake up and see that they are killing part of the memories we have of the game. My ticket collection is a catalyst for my memory banks.

http://www.nebaseballhistory.com/
Old 05-11-2013, 06:55 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

Hey thanks! That means an awful lot to me. When I worked on the ballpark there was no rules or idea how a new stadium should look. I just did things the way I always wanted a ballpark to look like, from the scoreboard clock down to the usher uniforms and tickets. Fortunately the O's had the foresight to have hired as VP Janet Marie Smith as the driving force behind the whole thing. None of it, and I mean NONE of it could have been accomplished without Janet Marie, an unbelievable baseball fan and class act. Even if they named the ballpark after her it wouldn't have been a big enough tribute.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:12 AM

Default Is ticket collecting dead?

Hi Bruce,

I too am a long time collector of baseball tickets. I have pondered this exact question because of the current trend towards the use of e-tickets.

I'm quite certain of one thing. VINTAGE tickets related to historical events will always remain very collectible. As with anything in this hobby, scarcity drives desirability. Condition is certainly also a consideration when looking at possible value.

More people are collecting baseball tickets than ever today. The number of collectors in this portion of the hobby has grown tremendously since 1998, the year that Randall mentioned that he began collecting McGwire HR tickets.

IMHO, collecting modern tickets is a different matter altogether. For one thing, the e-ticket phenomenon has created a situation where many season ticket holders and ticket brokers no longer use their traditional "hard tickets" in favor of the e-ticket. This creates a situation where there is a huge supply of perfect, full, unused season tickets. Scarcity and condition are no longer an issue...
Full disclosure: As a collector, I still collect full, unused season tickets to ticket collecting themes that I collect.

FWIW, I do not foresee e-tickets becoming desirable collectibles for the future.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 05-12-2013 at 09:32 AM.