NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 10-28-2022, 12:00 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default The first "shiny" cards

Are there any before the 93 Finest Refractors/93 SP Foil cards?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-28-2022, 12:10 PM

Hmmm guess it depends on definition. What do you think about the Donruss Elite cards? Maybe a proto-shiny? Or the 1992 Topps Golds? Not a totally shiny card, but shiny-adjacent?
Old 10-28-2022, 12:49 PM

I'll go with 1992 for my definition of "shiny" cards as well. The 1992 Donruss Elites are what I would consider shiny. The 1991 Elites didn't have that real shiny foil finish like the 1992 versions did. And in 1992 the Bowman set had foil cards as well that I would consider shiny.

I don't think the "dufex" printing that Pinnacle brands did came out until 1993, so that would be the same time as the Finest Refractors and SP foils.

The only other thing I can think of were the "hologram" cards. Some might consider those to be shiny. And they predate even 1992. An example would be the Hank Aaron Heroes Hologram from 1991 Upperdeck.
Old 10-28-2022, 01:08 PM
Peter Spaeth

I'll go along with 1992. But why do we sometimes read that 1989 Upper Deck ushered in the ultramodern era? What was so different about those, other than perhaps the pricing?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-28-2022, 01:18 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I'll go along with 1992. But why do we sometimes read that 1989 Upper Deck ushered in the ultramodern era? What was so different about those, other than perhaps the pricing?
Because 1989 Upper Deck was a game changer with the card stock (shiny white borders, not cardboard), quality control (little/no miscuts, o/c cards or printing flaws), foil packs that couldn't be resealed and awesome photography on both the front and back. They were the BMWs to the Fords (Topps), Chevys (Fleer) and Dodges (Donruss) that we were used to collecting. And they upped the game each year with better layouts, photography and autographed chase cards. That is when the trading card hobby vectored off in a different direction than the course it had been on for almost 40 years.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 10-28-2022, 01:43 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
  • Holographic stamps affixed to each card as an anti-counterfeiting measure
  • Tamper-evident packaging
  • The hobby's first $1 per pack (at release) product
  • Higher-end card stock

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 10-28-2022, 01:59 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
  • Holographic stamps affixed to each card as an anti-counterfeiting measure
  • Tamper-evident packaging
  • The hobby's first $1 per pack (at release) product
  • Higher-end card stock
With all of that, would it have been a big deal without Griffey Jr.? I mean suppose the biggest rookie had been Sheffield.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-28-2022 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-28-2022, 02:00 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

I was 9 when Upperdeck came out with their first set and I remember my mind being blown at the quality of it. We looked at Topps, Score, Donruss and fleer as pure junk compared to UD after that lol
Old 10-28-2022, 02:12 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
Because 1989 Upper Deck was a game changer with the card stock (shiny white borders, not cardboard), quality control (little/no miscuts, o/c cards or printing flaws), foil packs that couldn't be resealed and awesome photography on both the front and back. They were the BMWs to the Fords (Topps), Chevys (Fleer) and Dodges (Donruss) that we were used to collecting. And they upped the game each year with better layouts, photography and autographed chase cards. That is when the trading card hobby vectored off in a different direction than the course it had been on for almost 40 years.
Agree with Tom. The term "shiny cards" isn't really supposed to be a literal description of what quickly became prevalent in what I think of more as the modern card era. People don't associate "shiny cards" till the '90s, and they started so close to 1989 that the two terms, "shiny card era" and "modern card era" became somewhat synonymous IMO.
Old 10-28-2022, 03:04 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
With all of that, would it have been a big deal without Griffey Jr.? I mean suppose the biggest rookie had been Sheffield.
No Randy Johnson, either? I would remember the set (in your example) as the one that missed two KEY rookies.

I'd still remember the innovations, though. It would be similar to the 1991 Wild Card Football release. That set included the first parallels (1,000 stripe version, anyone?) but largely fell flat.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 10-28-2022, 03:15 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
No Randy Johnson, either? I would remember the set (in your example) as the one that missed two KEY rookies.

I'd still remember the innovations, though. It would be similar to the 1991 Wild Card Football release. That set included the first parallels (1,000 stripe version, anyone?) but largely fell flat.
I thought 1991 Stadium Club was really a breakthrough in quality, more so than Upper Deck.

Old 10-28-2022, 03:32 PM

Oh yeah those Stadium Club sets were really nice. I loved seeing the rookie cards included on the back of them.
Old 10-28-2022, 03:38 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Oh yeah those Stadium Club sets were really nice. I loved seeing the rookie cards included on the back of them.
This is still one of my favorite cards, it's just a thing of beauty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg griffey91.jpg (174.4 KB, 517 views)

Old 10-28-2022, 06:50 PM

I think 1988 Score doesn’t get enough love, in context. Action photos and a decent format and color on the reverse. Kind of weak on rookies but the Reggie subset was decent. Compare that to the late ‘80’s Topps, Fleer and Donruss efforts and it stands out. Insane overproduction didn’t help and UD stole their thunder the next year but, still…
Old 10-28-2022, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judsonhamlin View Post
I think 1988 Score doesn’t get enough love, in context. Action photos and a decent format and color on the reverse. Kind of weak on rookies but the Reggie subset was decent. Compare that to the late ‘80’s Topps, Fleer and Donruss efforts and it stands out. Insane overproduction didn’t help and UD stole their thunder the next year but, still…
I agree. I wouldn't call them "shiny" cards, but they certainly are premium compared to the other 1988 offerings.
Old 10-28-2022, 08:56 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
This is still one of my favorite cards, it's just a thing of beauty.
Agree, any card with more than two bats automatically gets bonus points. Gotta love the lumber. And that Griffey is a gorgeous card.

In general though, I was not blown away with the Stadium Club sets. Photography was too dark, the backs looked amateurish and the cards tended to stick together.
1954 Bowman (-5)
Old 10-28-2022, 09:00 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
Agree. I actually thought that Score would really take off and take over the top spot. I though the photography was great and the backs were the best of any card I'd seen up to that point. If they just didn't have those little nubby things on the corners. And if UD hadn't come out the following year. And..And.....
1954 Bowman (-5)
Old 10-28-2022, 09:00 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I call the 1990 Topps Mylar the first shiny.

If you have qualms with a test issue, then I would go with ProSet holograms. I think the 1990 Stanley Cup was the first of those. Then they went nuts in 91’ and the holographic cards were everywhere. I sure ate a ton of Denny’s to work on that Grand Slam set, lol.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 10-29-2022, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
For what it's worth (not much, last time I checked), I have an unopend case of Series III.
Old 10-29-2022, 01:35 AM

1965 Topps Embossed Baseball cards were shiny
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (36.2 KB, 495 views)

Last edited by sthoemke; 10-29-2022 at 01:35 AM.
Old 10-29-2022, 06:04 AM
Ian H@ll

Sold to: Sean1125, sayitaintso, IgnatiusJReilly, hockeyhockey, mocean, wondo, Casey2296, Belfast1933, Yoda, Peter_Spaeth, hxcmilkshake, kaddyshack, OhioCardCollector, Gorditadogg, Jay Wolt, ClementeFanOh, JollyElm, EddieZ, 4reals, uyu906
Old 10-29-2022, 10:15 AM
Randy Capel

Quote:
"BMWs to the Fords (Topps), Chevys (Fleer) and Dodges (Donruss)". LOL love it.
Old 10-29-2022, 10:19 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
the 1991 Wild Card Football release. That set included the first parallels (1,000 stripe version, anyone?) but largely fell flat.
I was just discussing this with another collector the other day. It is the first instance I can recall of a company issuing a progressively rarer version and urging collectors to collect the rainbow. The first one I got was a 50-stripe Troy Aikman.

FWIW, I have two unopened boxes of 1992 series 1 for sale at $30 each plus shipping.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 10-30-2022, 04:44 AM
Joseph Mie.lke

Quote:
Agree, i really like that score set.
Old 10-31-2022, 09:00 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Agree. I actually thought that Score would really take off and take over the top spot. I though the photography was great and the backs were the best of any card I'd seen up to that point. If they just didn't have those little nubby things on the corners. And if UD hadn't come out the following year. And..And.....
Ah, you must have bought them early. The nubby corners were the first run, Followed briefly by ones with two nubby bits just off the corners and finally the rest of the year with normal corners.

Add in variations, and re-screening, and it's a wonderfully complex set that's still cheap enough to be collected that way.
Old 10-31-2022, 09:01 AM
Steve Birmingham

Wouldn't the Topps Tiffany sets count? Or just pack issued stuff?
Old 10-31-2022, 09:30 AM

Quote:
I thought 1991 Stadium Club was really a breakthrough in quality, more so than Upper Deck.
Shameless plug: I currently have consigned 40+ different PSA 10 and PSA 9, 1991 Stadium Club Baseball in the Sirius Sportscard Auctions ending Thursday.
Here's a few highlights:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91SC301Strawberry10.jpg (171.8 KB, 415 views)
File Type: jpg 91SC309Clemens10.jpg (152.0 KB, 413 views)
File Type: jpg 91SC357McGriff10Back.jpg (181.7 KB, 414 views)
File Type: jpg 91SC308Gwynn10.jpg (153.0 KB, 413 views)
Old 10-31-2022, 11:16 AM
Al Richter

The Topps 1990 Mylar Sticker test issue mentioned by Justin. This is all of them with their little sparkles:

As for the 65 Embossed, they were very shiny but doubt even their mothers could have identified the players

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 10-31-2022 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-31-2022, 11:38 AM

These 1950s Good Luck Margarine Airplanes cards were shiny -- printed on the backs of foil coated boxes.

Old 10-31-2022, 11:39 AM
Bill Cauley

I can see 1989 Upper Deck being the leader in all of this but my mind can't escape calling 1991 Stadium Club as the beginning of the "shiny" era.

With that said, if anybody remembers those little mini-sets that Kay-Bee Toy stores put out, those things had some serious gloss/shine to them! At least one of their sets did anyway.

Last edited by BCauley; 10-31-2022 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-31-2022, 11:40 AM

These 1950s Good Luck Margarine Airplane cards were shiny -- they were printed on the backs of foil-coated boxes.

Old 10-31-2022, 02:44 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Those stickers of team logos put into Upper Deck packs are shinier than shiny...

Literally, the answer is basically for as long as cards have existed. Some Cabinets were given a lacquer coating to make them glossy and shine. T205 and other T cards have shiny shiny borders (at least, they were shiny when they were produced originally before time has faded the finish and effect).

In the sense of premium chromium type cards, 93 is the start.
Old 11-05-2022, 08:13 AM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

1981 topps large photos have a glossy front as does the 1983 All Star Edition mail in
Old 11-05-2022, 09:01 AM
Stefan

IIRC - The first shiny cards were the Foil Inserts in 1950 Topps Hopalong Cassidy

(not my card)

Last edited by Smanzari; 11-05-2022 at 09:02 AM.
Old 11-06-2022, 01:22 AM
Greg C

T205
Old 12-12-2022, 01:24 PM
Jason Ursaner

Stadium Club and Studio were both always focused on fantastic photography. In terms of "shiny" cards really depends on definition and whether you're talking about pack-pulled mass-produced sets (or inserts) with nation-wide distribution (Topps/Bowman, Donruss/Leaf, Fleer, Score/Pinnacle, Upper Deck) or regional / promos.

Quote:

Last edited by JUrsaner; 12-12-2022 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-23-2023, 02:15 AM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

1992 Topps Micro factory sets had the full gold foil inserts and 1993 micro had prism cards which look like atomic refractors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2023, 09:31 AM
Jeremy

There were quite a few "shiny" sets between 89 UD and 93 Finest, but 93 Finest really was a game changer. I remember the packs being over $70 each if you could find them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img115ad.jpg (123.1 KB, 208 views)

Last edited by Rad_Hazard; 01-23-2023 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-10-2023, 07:24 AM
D@vid Cr@ig

1984 topps tiffany would be the first in my opinion. white card stock and super glossy fronts.
Old 03-21-2023, 06:10 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad_Hazard View Post
There were quite a few "shiny" sets between 89 UD and 93 Finest, but 93 Finest really was a game changer. I remember the packs being over $70 each if you could find them.
And because of the dyes Topps used, they are still 'changers'

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...