NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-23-2008, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Default Shipping Card Before Payment

Posted By: Tim

I recently discussed selling a card to someone and they said I would have to ship them the card and once it was received they would send me the agreed payment. This was the only way they would do business off of Ebay. The buyer pointed to his over 4000 positive feedbacks.

Now I have purchased several cards from the B/S/T and in every transaction I have sent money in advance of the card being shipped. In some cases waiting several weeks for payment to arrive and then the check to clear before shipment.

Is the request that I ship the card first reasonable, or would you advise against it?

Old 04-23-2008, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: blacksox19

Even though the feedback is great. I would still want payment in advance.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

I have both shipped cards without receiving payment as a courtesy to buyers who I trust and also received cards before sending payment at the request of sellers who want me to be happy with the card before I send payment. It is not the normal way to do things and I only ever do it if I have a good comfort level with the other party. In your case, the fact that you're asking about it tells me you're not comfortable and in such a case, I would not do it.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Adair

Never a good idea. Money first, then ship item. Too many con artist/thieves vulturing around these days.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: MikePugeda

Sounds like the buyer wants to see what he's buying before he pays, then if he doesn't like it, he'll send you the card back instead of the money. With 4000 pos. transactions, you're probably safe, but it depends on the level of trust. Do you know the buyer? Have you dealt with him before?

But, if it's a high dollar card, I'd make the buyer send $$$ first but offer a satisfaction guaranteed policy.

Mike

Old 04-23-2008, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

I only ship COD to my closest hobby-related friends. In the autograph field, Jack Smalling is the only dealer I can think of who still ships all auction lots COD. I've heard that Rob Lifson will on occasion, too, but I'm sure that lenience is reserved only for his most trusted customers.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan U

Sounds like the buyer's issue is buying the card off of ebay.

Let him know you'll sell it to him on ebay if he includes the ebay fees in the price.

-Alan

Old 04-23-2008, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Russ Bright

On a LOT of the other sites (shiny sites like the bench and sportscardforum) you MUST send first if you have under 20 approved trades. Even if you're selling.

It bugs me because I have tried to sell some higher dollar cards on the site and I have to send the card before the money is sent, and that scares me. The general flow of things is... you give me the money and I give you the "stuff" so trust or no, it's still moderately foreign...

and I have almost 500 perfect feedback on ebay and some snot nosed kid in jersey makes me send first before he mails me a money order for 4 dollars...

scary...

Old 04-23-2008, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I often ship packages ahead of payment for customers I have known a long time, but I would not do so with a stranger.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

It really is all about who you know and trust, I could never do that unless we built a relationship

Jimmy

Old 04-23-2008, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

Run!

-Al

Old 04-23-2008, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

I just recently asked Best Buy to ship me a large screen, hi-def TV and promised to pay after I received the item. For some reason they declined to do so. Hmmmm?

Old 04-23-2008, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Josh - don't they have a "no payment for 12 months" promotion?

Old 04-23-2008, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

If I know you the card is shipped the next day regardless of whether payment has been received. Haven't been burned, not one single time.

If I don't know you, pound salt, because without cleared funds you ain't getting the card.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

Same as Steve,
I'll ship something to a member here I've dealt with before, as far as doing so before a check arrives. But for someone to want a card in their hand before paying or getting the payment process started at all is a little puzzling.

I'd have to question exactly why they cant pay ahead, assuming your providing good detailed scans..there shouldn't be any mystery left for them to unravel by having the card in hand.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

Matt - they do, but they also had the nerve to ask me for my best buy credit card number. I told them they could have it in 12 months.

Seriously - I would only send a card to someone who I "personally" knew through this board.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

As I seller, I expect payment first. As a buyer, I expect to pay first.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lance

If it's an expensive card, ask for an E-check. It will cost you $5.00, but you both will be covered.

Good luck.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:10 PM
Administrator

My initial post was to ask if shipping the card prior to payment was the norm or something you would even consider doing.

However, to be fair to the buyer in this situation, I can see why he would have doubt in me. First of all I contacted him. I saw he had interest in an Ebay auction of a like card and asked if he would be interested in purchasing the card I have. Secondly I only have an Ebay feedback of 32 and am not well known since I am only a few months into vintage cards.

With all that being said I'm still uneasy shipping a card without payment first and appreciate all the feedback.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Adair

Tim,

If I were you I'd do what was suggested early in this thread.....

Tell the buyer that you will gladly list it on Ebay just for him, set the BIN to whatever price you agreed upon, plus Fees.

That's your safest route.

Jay

Old 04-23-2008, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty

I look at it a bit different. How did the trasaction start. If someone I have had no dealings with wants to buy something that I own and they contact me, they need to send me the money first. If someone I have had no dealins with contacts me and wants to sell me something that they own, I expect the card first. They normally find me from eBay or my web site. I will not send money out to someone that contacts me with no reference. I have had them send the cards to a friend of theirs who is close to me and then I go to their house and pay the friend.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

I would never ship before payment -
unless it was someone I personally knew.

I say don't do it. No way, no how.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Marty - please email me when you have a moment.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Traditionally, a payment precedes shipment. But I've sold cards before, sending the cards before payment was received.

I sold Jay an N173, mailing my dear card to the forsaken lands of distant New York, before payment was received. I had faith in him. And I think he wanted to see the cabinet first.

On eBay I've sent a card a few times before payment was made, when I knew the seller. And I recall winning a card once and receiving it before I processed Paypal!! I got the card in Monday's mail, and was going to catch up on my eBay stuff that Monday evening after work. I sent payment when I got home, and emailed the guy about having received the card before I'd sent payment. He said he'd recalled me buying from him before, and that he knew I'd pay him, he had it ready to mail, so he just sent it.

So it all depends on who you're dealing with, previous dealings, and whether the buyer wants to see the card first.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:54 PM
Administrator

If I do ship the card first, is there any method of shipment other than C.O.D. that protects me?