NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 05-25-2010, 08:12 AM

Default JD McCarthy Postcards

Does anyone collect JD McCarthy Postcards? I know they were issued over a wide range of years in the 50's. Players bought postcards in bulk so they could be sent out to accomodate autograph requests. They look similar to Exhibits, with a postcard back.

Some postcards appear to be unsigned. Does anyone know if the postcards were produced unsigned and then the players autographed them prior to sending them out? Or were some made with an auto pen signature per the players "specs"?

It is apparent that postcards exist in a signed & unsigned form. Any comments you can give me would be appreciated. I am trying to figure out whether this recent pickup has any likielyhood of containing real autographs of these players.

Here's my recent pickup.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JD McCarthy Yogi Berra.jpg (41.9 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg JD McCarthy.jpg (62.7 KB, 159 views)
Old 05-25-2010, 12:48 PM
Dynarl Broughman

Default Al Kaline

This is the only one I have. D.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg J.D. McCarthy Kaline Postcard.jpg (43.3 KB, 149 views)
Old 05-28-2010, 08:25 AM

Default Update - JD McCarthy Postcards

Just a quick update. It appears that JD McCarthy postdards were produced in signed and unsigned versions. It is difficult to tell if the autographs were ink or printed on the postcards as part of the manufacturing process.

I just received the cards posted above. It is easier to tell in person if the autographs are real or not. The easiets way to tell is by the half-toning or pixellation of the autograph. Different shades are reproduced with different size white or black dots in the printing process. If the autograph has half tones then the autograph was printed and is not genuine.

This was very difficult to tell just by pictures without closeups, but significantly easier to tell with originals in hand. Sadly, the only "genuine" autograph appears to be from Dick Donovan of the White Sox - circa 1958-ish.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:22 AM
Steve Birmingham

Thanks for posting the pics and asking.

I'd always thought the McCarthy ones had the JDM logo. Now that I see a bunch without it, I know what the print blocks I bought were for.

Steve B
Old 05-28-2010, 11:09 AM

Default JD McCarthy Print Block

Steve:

Are you referring to this "JDM" print block on the bottom of this postcard? Do you have a pic of the print blocks? Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JD McCarthy Mantle Postcard.jpg (50.6 KB, 114 views)
Old 05-28-2010, 04:54 PM
Steve Birmingham

Yes that's the JDM I was thinking was on all their postcards.

No pics of the print blocks at the moment, I'll see if I can't round them up on Monday and post some scans. I picked up two late last year on Ebay with no JDM that I could find, and I also have two or three hockey print blocks.

Steve B