NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 05-18-2014, 01:36 PM

Default Autograph; To cut or not to cut?

Hi,

I recently acquired an autograph that is within an old book. The book pertains to the person whose autograph in inside the book. My dilemma; I would MUCH rather have the autograph as a "cut autograph" in a PSA holder but I still need to send it to PSA for authentication. Basically, I would be looking at having to send it in twice to PSA in order to accomplish my ultimate goal. I am almost 100% certain it is legit and it comes from a very, very reputable auction house (and it includes their COA). They told me I have 45 days in order to send it to PSA. I am sort of apprehensive cutting it out and then sending it in and than having (in the very unlikely event) PSA tell me it is not legit. I would then (most likely) be stuck with it since the original seller would (most likely) not take it back cut up. I know this is highly unlikely but would PSA put the autograph in a holder for me if deemed legit? Even though I have already acquired the autograph could I do a "Quick Opinion" and then send it in cut?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:35 PM
David Linardy

Default Autograph Advice

I too am a a fan of cuts... I don't care for them in slabs, but prefer a 3x5 , gpc or cut any day over a ball etc... my opinion is that they display much better...

I will however say that I would be reluctant to cut a big auto out of a book tat pertains to the player...

that said, sounds like you have a few issues:
1-confirmation as to whether or not your auto is good
-if you remove the autograph from the book, send it in for authentication & you receive a less than favorable result I highly doubt that the auction house would take the item back..

2-how you want to own your auto...
-cut? page in a book? this is your preference and totally up to you considering that you own the item..

My advice: post the auto here in the forum, net 54 has some of the most advanced and knowledgeable autograph collectors... I am sure your post will garner the opinions of a few if not many, which will likely make you feel more comfortable with you next step...

Best of luck & congrats on your new addition!
Old 05-19-2014, 07:50 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I am almost thinking I could go ahead and pay for it to be put in a holder but have them just send it back for me to cut and then re-send it back to them? I hope they dont have to look at it again ($$) just because it was cut.

We shall see.

Thanks again.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:15 PM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynnek4 View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I am almost thinking I could go ahead and pay for it to be put in a holder but have them just send it back for me to cut and then re-send it back to them? I hope they dont have to look at it again ($$) just because it was cut.

We shall see.

Thanks again.
Why don't you just explain what you are trying to do? They may work with you on the placement of the invisible marker.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:13 PM
M@rk Cl@ry

Why so cryptic? I agree with David, just post the picture here and the forum can verify it.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:04 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

If you are concerned and do not want to post a pic for an opinion then why not have them cert. the book and sig. together. Then cut out the sig. and resubmit. I mean what is a little money if this sig. is a rare gem to get it certed twice. If it is not valuable then decide to cut or not and then get it certed once. In my opinion there should be no dilemma unless the book is also an issue as to rarity and/or value.
Would JSA cert the book and sig in total and then be done with it once.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:07 PM
Alan Elefson

Hi-
As a memorabilia collector, I would not be in favor of cutting the autograph from the book. Is the signature so rare that a vintage collectible item should be damaged to obtain it? Obviously it is your item and you can do with it as you desire, but that is my opinion.

Alan Elefson
Old 05-22-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards View Post
Why don't you just explain what you are trying to do? They may work with you on the placement of the invisible marker.
I emailed PSA Monday and today and no response. Decscribed to them my scenario and havent heard back. Are they usually slow to respond?

Thanks everyone for the replies.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:46 PM

Default JimStinson

please pardon my confusion ...on this post, But I just don't "get it" ...if you bought the autograph or autographs from a reputable person why would you need a 2nd opinion ? If you felt you needed a 2nd opinion you should not have bought it in the first place. Unless you feel its important to pay $$$ for a pat on the back. If that is the case most on this board would do that for free.
Honest dealers that know what they are doing , usually get a 2nd , 3rd , and sometimes 4th opinion before they sell it.
I hate to tell you this but the reality is that the honest and reliable guys in this hobby that have been doing this for not months or years but DECADES know a little bit more than the alphabet soup group ...and will give you their "opinions" ...which in reality is what you are paying for ...an opinion ! as there is no such thing as an authenticity machine for free ! So sorry to say I don't get it , I buy collections ALL the time sometimes a half dozen a week , and I never ...let me repeat NEVER ask for a letter of opinion. I will indeed ask where something came from but never the other , which is in most cases if it exists is thrown away.
Either an autograph is genuine or it is not ....pretty simple

Just listed recent autograph acquisitions on my web site WOW !
http://stinsonsports.com/autographs-for-sale/
Old 05-22-2014, 06:29 PM

If the signature is available for a price somewhere, please first consider selling the book with autograph intact, and use the money to buy the cut, if possible. I think there are a number of people on the board who would be enthusiastic about owning a book about the person who autographed it, especially if it is someone well known, which this presumably is. I for one do not understand cutting a signature from a book, and have many times found significant annotations in such books, which, in my opinion, are far more valuable than the signature. You really would not have much to lose by trying.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:19 PM
Max Weder

I concur. There are still a few of us around who pay high prices for a book and more with a signature. In many cases, we will be able to access the cut you are looking for.

Max
Old 05-28-2014, 03:39 PM

Like I suspected, PSA would not accept me paying for an encapsulation and just sending them the book w/ autograph in it (then me sending it back to them cut out). They said I would have to pay twice and recommended I just cut the signature out in the first place. I just went ahead and cut the signature out and sent it in (and filed the book in my library). Including the LOA (which you don't get back) with the signature is good for 30% off the encapsulation as well.

Hopefully this helps someone out in the future.

Thanks again for the replies.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:19 PM

Nice goin', Kenny.

Last edited by David Atkatz; 05-28-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:05 PM

REALLY? well at least you got a coupon to help you ruin another book, great.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:26 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

May I ask , without being rude, what is this " mystery" autograph and what was the title of the book it was in?
Old 05-28-2014, 09:58 PM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klrdds View Post
May I ask , without being rude, what is this " mystery" autograph and what was the title of the book it was in?

I have also been wondering.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 05-29-2014, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klrdds View Post
Crickets chirping.....
Old 05-29-2014, 02:14 PM
Brock

Love people who DESTROY items, but it's yours so destroy it as much as you want.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:04 AM
Alex

It frustrates me when people ask for opinions and then don't share any information about the item. If you take something (people's time and opinions) then be prepared to give (pictures, etc).
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6