NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 03-16-2020, 05:49 PM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpeck100 View Post
I will let you remember the events how you do and how I do.

The good news for me is it all worked out great.
They're preserved on Collector's Universe. I believe you said you bid up 80% of the most recent sale of the card, not necessarily to win. If you win, you pay, no foul. Something along those lines.

I don't have to worry about whether or not something holds value, and that is good news for me.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:56 PM
Martin
Martin L.ee

Patrick I admire that collectors mindset. It’s what fuels us all since we were kids.
We all have a unique approach and point of view to our collections.
Why the tit for tat to air out what’s been said...
Let’s get this thread back on track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULLINS5 View Post
They're preserved on Collector's Universe. I believe you said you bid up 80% of the most recent sale of the card, not necessarily to win. If you win, you pay, no foul. Something along those lines.

I don't have to worry about whether or not something holds value, and that is good news for me.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:56 PM
David Peck

Quote:

Go read them and have fun. Every once in awhile I will read one and crack myself up.

Good for you. Enjoy your collecting and I will too. I love having cards that have gone up. Anyone who says they don't is just fooling themselves.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:59 PM
Martin
Martin L.ee

Quote:
Go read them and have fun. Every once in awhile I will read one and crack myself up.

Good for you. Enjoy your collecting and I will too. I love having cards that have gone up. Anyone who says they don't is just fooling themselves.
David, world class wrestling collection. Always enjoyed your knowledge of the wrestling card world. The price increases are well deserved. The All Stars have finally staked their claim in the hobby!
Old 03-16-2020, 06:02 PM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goudey77 View Post
David, world class wrestling collection. The price increases are well deserved.
A lot of effort went into cooking those increases.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:05 PM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goudey77 View Post
David, world class wrestling collection. Always enjoyed your knowledge of the wrestling card world. The price increases are well deserved. The All Stars have finally staked their claim in the hobby!
Thank you.

There is no such definition as a true collector. I have never heard anyone with a bad ass collection say there is. It is always the person from afar.

Patrick was busting 89 Topps Hockey. Good for him. I would never question his motives or care and if he wanted to burn cash on the project so be it. It is his money.

Collect what you like. How you like. If one wants to speculate so be it. If one wants to hoard so be it.

It is baffling that people think they know what the definition of a true collector is and you only qualify if you don't care about value. Most of us in our 40's are a product of the 80's baseball card chase where the fresh Beckett with up arrows was like reading the Bible. It is why many are successful in life today.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:13 PM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

Quote:
Thank you.

There is no such definition as a true collector. I have never heard anyone with a bad ass collection say there is. It is always the person from afar.

Patrick was busting 89 Topps Hockey. Good for him. I would never question his motives or care and if he wanted to burn cash on the project so be it. It is his money.

Collect what you like. How you like. If one wants to speculate so be it. If one wants to hoard so be it.

It is baffling that people think they know what the definition of a true collector is and you only qualify if you don't care about value. Most of us in our 40's are a product of the 80's baseball card chase where the fresh Beckett with up arrows was like reading the Bible. It is why many are successful in life today.
Goudey brought up "true collectors" so only then did I chime in on my opinion.

I was a fool for busting 89 Topps Hockey and then trusting PSA to grade it. They're a scam company, IMO.

Sure, we all care about value to some extent - it's always nice to get what we pay for something.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:20 PM
David Peck

Quote:
Goudey brought up "true collectors" so only then did I chime in on my opinion.

I was a fool for busting 89 Topps Hockey and then trusting PSA to grade it. They're a scam company, IMO.

Sure, we all care about value to some extent - it's always nice to get what we pay for something.

I believe, totally just my opinion, "true collectors" are those who collect purely for the fun of the hobby and don't have a dime at stake.

This is why you are impossible to comment back and for with.

In 1990 when Frank Thomas got hot I wanted his cards but I also wanted to find them cheaper than they were being listed in the Beckett. It is just human nature and the thrill of the chase to try and win financially.

I got some grades back from PSA today. Many lower than what I wanted. It happens but when it costs $10 a card you better believe I care what they grade.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:39 PM
David Peck

While we are going back and forth I see this Flair PSA 9 went for $1,100.

This seller has the magic touch. He sold a PSA 9 OC Hogan a few days ago for $2,100.

Now you see why I am not bearish.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-Wrestl...AAAOSw9sheUm-O
Old 03-16-2020, 06:56 PM
Ma.tt Lan.dry

Great, wrestling cards, 0.0016% of the hobby are going up. Mantle RC’s are selling well.

Neither of these are a good proxy for the overall hobby. Well maybe the mantle, but wrestling card collectors probably number in the hundreds so with all due respect who cares what an OC hogan sells for.

If you believe the PWCC index, the majority of cards have been relatively flat since 2016 and that was in the best of times - free money and full employment . No way we go into recession, millions lose their jobs, and the mid market/ overall card market holds up.

Guys like Gary V are catalysts in good times, but when you lose your job, or your 401k takes a 120k hit, you put a hold on your 56th Acuna or Soto PSA 10 “investment”. And that appears to be happening, guys on BO are reporting that some of these flagship cards are down 30-40%. Returns are increasing.

Personally I couldn’t care less what happens to my collection price wise. But I suspect to your point Dpeck, that most do, and I am predicting some panic selling. I mean look at PM’s- they are down when traditionally they provide a hedge against equities. The general consensus is that they are being used to cover calls, generate cash. We as a society are awash in debt, I would love to know the number of collectors that have built their collection with debt. Speculators are about to get wiped out.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:04 PM
Jeremy W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by japhi View Post
Great, wrestling cards, 0.0016% of the hobby are going up. Mantle RC’s are selling well.

Neither of these are a good proxy for the overall hobby. Well maybe the mantle, but wrestling card collectors probably number in the hundreds so with all due respect who cares what an OC hogan sells for.

If you believe the PWCC index, the majority of cards have been relatively flat since 2016 and that was in the best of times - free money and full employment . No way we go into recession, millions lose their jobs, and the mid market/ overall card market holds up.

Guys like Gary V are catalysts in good times, but when you lose your job, or your 401k takes a 120k hit, you put a hold on your 56th Acuna or Soto PSA 10 “investment”. And that appears to be happening, guys on BO are reporting that some of these flagship cards are down 30-40%. Returns are increasing.

Personally I couldn’t care less what happens to my collection price wise. But I suspect to your point Dpeck, that most do, and I am predicting some panic selling. I mean look at PM’s- they are down when traditionally they provide a hedge against equities. The general consensus is that they are being used to cover calls, generate cash. We as a society are awash in debt, I would love to know the number of collectors that have built their collection with debt. Speculators are about to get wiped out.
I always wondered how dealers could win auctions & pay as much as collectors on the BST & still be in business.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:22 PM
Doug

I like your optimism Goudey77. Also, a great move for us card dudes and baseball in general: Ken Burns just made his 9-part documentary "Baseball" available for free viewing on PBS. Usually those are only available for purchase. That's a great move after the Astro's scandal and now the cancellation/postponement of MLB.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:29 PM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by japhi View Post

Obviously wrestling cards mean nothing in the aggregate but it shows that the card market has broadened significantly. Pokemon and Magic The Gathering have been the best performing segment over the past five years and just about every post I have ever read on online sports card message boards made fun of them and the people who collect them. Yet they saw unprecedented price performance. The card market is global so Asia saw a slow down and there is evidence they are coming out of it and cards like this and basketball are heavily collected there and you might have some person who is a software tycoon who wants all of these cards and drives them to the moon. I have no clue how they have fared the past few months but clearly The Black Lotus is a monster card and will be forever.

I use the 1986 Fleer Jordan and the 1989 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr. as the two proxy cards for the hobby. If they are going up than many other cards are too. Kind of like FANG with the stock market.

There are a few cards I regret not buying but I have always funded my collection through cash flow and there have been certain times where I just had to say no. This may not be the case for others and I think it is fair to say in certain segments you could see what you would consider forced selling. That said there are some very deep pocketed collectors out there and so they will sop up the supply and the market will move forward.

The PWCC index I argued was a poor representation for the hobby because of the weighting structure and the amount of those cards that turn over. If you take the 52 Topps Mantle in a PSA 8 it has clearly pulled back in public auction over the past few years. Those that are interested in its prices going up argued that they were poor centered copies and that the prices weren't indicative of better centered copies. They might be right. They might be wrong but the index doesn't take into consideration eye appeal and so it artificially inflates on the way up and artificially deflates on the way down. Because the weighting structure is so high it helped drive the index up significantly as the card ran from $78,000 to over $525,000. You also saw the 55 Clemente and the 63 Rose see insane increase during the "buyers group bubble" and as they came back down to planet earth so did the index.

The debt situation in this country is so much different than when we were in 2008 and into 09. People can actually refinance debt. I bought my condo in 2005 and did the typical pull out equity to remodel and then did some real stupid sh++ and lost it in the market trading options. I said enough is enough and went to a fixed rate mortgage in 2006 and then when the bottom fell out I was stuck in a high interest (6.25%) mortgage and had I stuck with the risky arm I would have been dramatically better off. It took me a few years of aggressively paying it down to be able to refinance and I did and was able to lower the rate significantly. Unlike most in finance I had no desire to create arbitrage and worked my ass off to pay it off even though the rate was only 3.50%. Today people have been given a gift with the ten year under 1% and so refinance applications have exploded. This coupled with the gas prices will be great stimulus eventually for the economy.

I think everyone is just freaked out right now. All of us will probably end up spending more time at home not by choice and so you will see some supply show up as people have time to list cards but you will also see lots of people bored and so buying something will give them pleasure.

In time this will pass and the sports fans will be sports fans and the people collecting cards will still be collecting. I can't stress enough how much of an impact watching money evaporate trading options had on my card purchases. Stock market declines in many cases lead to more people being interested in tangible assets because watching numbers vanish on a computer screen is no fun and it is much more fun to lose if that is the outcome and still have the same item you bought.

Last edited by Dpeck100; 03-16-2020 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:58 PM
Sean McGinty

This does kind of feel like a debate about where the deck chairs should be placed on the Titanic.

A few auction results that happened this week are pretty irrelevant. There is a massive sword hanging over the head of the world economy right now and that is what is going to determine card values are by the end of this year.

The problem is that we don't know how long the economically disruptive countermeasures to control the Coronavirus are going to be necessary.

Most major companies can withstand a shutdown of a few weeks at most. So if this thing improves significantly by next month we might get out of this OK and your cards might not take much of a hit. But if it drags on into the summer like some are now suggesting it will, most businesses can't survive that long and bankruptcies will explode, making the economic chaos we are witnessing now seem relatively mild.

The entire airline industry is already teetering on the edge of bankruptcy and will probably be wiped out completely in a few weeks if governments worldwide don't bail them out. There are a lot of other sectors out there similarily vulnerable lined up to follow, way too many for governments to be able to keep them all afloat with bailouts.

If that happens card values are going to be destroyed just like the value of every other kind of investment.

So lets hope it doesn't come to that.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:52 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Most of us in our 40's are a product of the 80's baseball card chase where the fresh Beckett with up arrows was like reading the Bible. It is why many are successful in life today.
Preach. When I was a dealer at shows during high school ('89 to '92) during the boom, opening that Beckett each time as a teen was like getting to check your growth stocks for the first time in a month.

Those years taught me so much and got me well ahead of the curve when it came to learning about adult finance, people, success, and failure
Old 03-17-2020, 01:12 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
I'll stand by it. Sorry if I'm not politically correct for you. I know if you say anything that isn't soft-served these past few years you get the stink eye. It was just a comparison to all these people crying the sky is falling, it isn't people.

The world has survived plagues, civil wars, WORLD WARS, terrorism, what have you. This will be in the rearview mirror before long. Don't get your panties in a bunch.
I agree. China was ground zero and according to the CDC, their death toll as of Monday morning was 3,218. Cases there are slowing so it appears they are beginning to recover. Not saying I know for certain, but I think the death toll in the USA will be less than that, and this thing should be about over by the middle of June. That will stress the stock market, with lower earnings and companies struggling for cash, but if you hang onto your cards, I'm thinking by Christmas or earlier their value will be intact. For the quality vintage stuff anyway.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/dise...ation-reports/

Last edited by Mark17; 03-17-2020 at 01:15 AM.
Old 03-17-2020, 02:17 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Recent reports say that UK health officials fear that possibly up to 80% or Britains will get it over the upcoming year. With a 1% death rate, that would mean approx. 500,000 British would die.

Just something I read. Don't pretend to be an expert.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:43 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
Recent reports say that UK health officials fear that possibly up to 80% or Britains will get it over the upcoming year. With a 1% death rate, that would mean approx. 500,000 British would die.

Just something I read. Don't pretend to be an expert.
Who cares? We need to stop being afraid of what "could" happen? No one will say it, but I will. It's cold, but at some point, we have to not live in fear. And that's what is ruling right now and being stoked by the news media. Does anyone realize this broke in December and the US deaths to date due to this is a whopping 93???????

Gov Cuomo said we are at war. War with the virus, so he too Mr Early Wynn fan compared it to war. And in War you lose lives.

And all this over 93 deaths (75 million in WWII), and again most are very old people, sorry older people but if you are 80 or 90 your playing in overtime as it is. Ok relax I do get the we need to stop this, not saying that, but shut everything down for a week or two and that's it. Talk of any more is assinine.

Approximately 7,452 die every day in the United States due to natural deaths, multiple diseases, accidents, murders, viruses, etc...….and we are going to let the Economy tank, retirement funds disappear, money for kids colleges gone, mass amounts of people potentially jobless, no paychecks, no income for some. You also run the risk of suicides, riots, looting (anybody remember the LA Riots, don't think that can't happen again) if this goes too long.

We are going to risk all this for 93 deaths since December, and yes I know its going to go up, to what 200, 500, 1000, who cares. Sad but True at some point we all need to roll the dice and resume normalcy.

We can't save everyone people. Sorry.

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 03-17-2020 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:11 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Life expectancy is US is a hair over 78 years old. Congrats those those long livers!

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 03-17-2020, 01:27 PM

for me...my purchases have always been modest (up to low or mid 4 figures) and always from my non essential discretionary funds. Having said that as the market tanks and eats into my retirement funds a bit..its natural to conserve and scale back on spending on "fun" things...esp as you near retirement age.

Ricky Y
Old 03-17-2020, 01:35 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
Who cares? No one will say it, but I will. Does anyone realize this broke in December and the US deaths to date due to this is a whopping 93???????

All this over 93 deaths, and again most are very old people, sorry older people but if you are 80 or 90 your playing in overtime as it is. Ok relax I do get the we need to stop this, not saying that, but shut everything down for a week or two and that's it. Talk of any more is assinine.

Approximately 7,452 die every day in the United States due to natural deaths, multiple diseases, accidents, murders, viruses, etc...….and we are going to let the Economy tank, retirement funds disappear, money for kids colleges gone, mass amounts of people potentially jobless, no paychecks, income for some. You also run the risk of suicides, riots, looting, if this goes too long.

We are going to risk all this for 93 deaths since December, and yes I know its going to go up, to what 200, 500, 1000, who cares. Sad but True at some point we all need to roll the dice and resume normalcy.

We can't save everyone people. Sorry.
It feels crappy to measure human life in these terms, but my wife and I were talking about this last night. For every life lost, how many thousands of lives will possibly be financially ruined forever? The only way to answer that is to know the timeline, which no one knows. There are a lot of people who will have a hard time bouncing back from a few weeks, let alone a few months. That said, all of this is an effort to not overwhelm the healthcare system.....because if that goes, the panic we're seeing now is going to seem like a tickle party by comparison.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:12 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
I never bet against you on those cards.

You purchased nearly all of the supply of Wrestling All-Star cards (an obscure, unpopular set at the time) and then spammed the living hell out of them for years on the Collector's Universe forums - even when the majority begged you to stop (even though I defended you at the time). You even said that you intentionally bid on these cards to maintain their values and hype - but if you won the auction intended to pay so it wasn't shilling. It's also a set that was made, literally, in a guy's basement and I don't see how anybody can tell the difference between these and fakes (think Star Basketball). I held PSA at high esteem at the time and even had doubts then - given what's been uncovered lately I am of a string opinion they do not have the resources to accurately grade or authenticate these.
Whatever he did, he turned a piece of turd into a piece of gold, and that's brilliant IMO. Good job, Peck.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:31 PM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
Whatever he did, he turned a piece of turd into a piece of gold, and that's brilliant IMO. Good job, Peck.
It's actually pretty easy to do. I've seen it happen quite a bit in the antiquarian book world.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:25 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

A key reason they are doing the steps they are doing is not because it's the black plague. They are doing it to lower and lengthen the curve. If there is a large peak, it would swamp the healthcare system, hospitals and hospital resources.

Old 03-17-2020, 06:08 PM
Rich Klein

"Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin warned Republican senators Tuesday that the coronavirus pandemic could drive up US unemployment to 20%, a Republican Senate source told CNN."

Skipping politics aside, if we get close to 20 percent unemployment the card market will suffer as many people will have to sell at reduced prices to put food on the table, pay rent, etc.

The 2008 recession led to 10 percent unemployment by October, 2009. This would be double that figure. If you remember how 2007-10 was, then you have an idea what 2020-22 would be and then some.

Rich
Old 03-17-2020, 06:24 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
"Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin warned Republican senators Tuesday that the coronavirus pandemic could drive up US unemployment to 20%, a Republican Senate source told CNN."

Skipping politics aside, if we get close to 20 percent unemployment the card market will suffer as many people will have to sell at reduced prices to put food on the table, pay rent, etc.

The 2008 recession led to 10 percent unemployment by October, 2009. This would be double that figure. If you remember how 2007-10 was, then you have an idea what 2020-22 would be and then some.

Rich
I see ZERO CHANCE of US Unemployed going to %20 Won’t Happen......thankfully it won’t even get close :-)
Old 03-17-2020, 06:28 PM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
I see ZERO CHANCE of US Unemployed going to %20 Won’t Happen......thankfully it won’t even get close :-)
For ALL of us Johnny, I hope and pray you are correct.

Rich
Old 03-17-2020, 07:01 PM
Steven Finley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
I also hope you are correct, but the service and retail sector is going to hit hard the longer this pandemic drags out. As someone in service sector operations I know the conference call I took yesterday was very bleak and I'm sure I wasn't the only one on a like that call recently. Do I believe "true" unemployment can reach 20% soon? Probably not. But I can absolutely see temporary layoffs and closures pushing the percentage of the workforce going a period of time without a full paycheck or without one completely well past 20%.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:30 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
For ALL of us Johnny, I hope and pray you are correct.

Rich
Rich,

I hope and pray too :-) we all have to stick together and Keep America Strong
Old 03-17-2020, 08:09 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

No one is going to go bankrupt...the courts are closed.

Look on the bright side:

--Lots of old people won't have to worry about outliving their retirement savings.

--Full employment in the health care sector is guaranteed.

--Spirit Air might go out of business.

--Might kill a Kardashian or two.

--No jackasses pestering me to buy March Madness squares.

--More people are washing their hands after they pee...or finish other things.

--We won't have to go to Atlantic City.

Thanks, you've been a great audience. Enjoy REO Speedwagon.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 03-17-2020 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:20 AM

This crash is only damning for a small percentage of people: people who were looking to cash out their 401K's or other retirement accounts this year or the next. I have almost 30 more years to go before I'm retiring.

The crash won't affect my purchasing power. Everyone is always very sunny when it comes to discussing the future of the hobby. Only those nearing the end of their financial planning are really doomed. Let's see what happens.

Last edited by packs; 03-18-2020 at 07:21 AM.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:47 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
This crash is only damning for a small percentage of people: people who were looking to cash out their 401K's or other retirement accounts this year or the next. I have almost 30 more years to go before I'm retiring.

The crash won't affect my purchasing power. Everyone is always very sunny when it comes to discussing the future of the hobby. Only those nearing the end of their financial planning are really doomed. Let's see what happens.
If you had a significant amount on money in the 401K and nearing retirement you should not have been in an aggressive mode. Now those with 30 or so years to go should be fine.
Old 03-18-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
If you had a significant amount on money in the 401K and nearing retirement you should not have been in an aggressive mode. Now those with 30 or so years to go should be fine.
I don't know what an aggressive 401K looks like. If you owned anything you took a huge hit. But it only matters if you don't have time to recover. Anyone looking to retire this year is probably rethinking that. Anyone who planned to cash out their accounts won't have enough time to recover before they need the money.

Last edited by packs; 03-18-2020 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-18-2020, 09:04 AM

By the way, since it's always advised that you look on the bright side of things, a crash like this could be good for people my age. It may be an opportunity to build future wealth.

Last edited by packs; 03-18-2020 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:13 PM
Ma.tt Lan.dry

Quote:
By the way, since it's always advised that you look on the bright side of things, a crash like this could be good for people my age. It may be an opportunity to build future wealth.
It will be for sure, as long as you can keep your job. Travel and Entertainment is getting wiped out, that is 20mm workers plus all of the ancillary businesses that support them.

RE is going to get smoked as well.

Basically the economy is about to go dark for 30-60 days. I think people will understand how deep this is over the next few days when millions of people get layed off. The bankruptcy filings are going to be epic. Hilton was down 20 points today and is headed to zero Delta down 25% in one day....60% of 52 week high.

This is unprecedented. Card prices will be the least of anyones worries.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:18 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Dean's might lower his prices

Old 03-18-2020, 09:05 PM
John

eBay must not be feeling the effects yet. Haven't gotten any bucks or selling promotions this week.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:19 AM
Bill O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
LoL 😂
Old 03-19-2020, 07:18 PM
Rich Klein

Quote:
I don't know what an aggressive 401K looks like. If you owned anything you took a huge hit. But it only matters if you don't have time to recover. Anyone looking to retire this year is probably rethinking that. Anyone who planned to cash out their accounts won't have enough time to recover before they need the money.
In many 401K's you have the option of how you want to put your money. Back in the day at Beckett we had something like 10 options from something akin to low risk/low reward investments to ultra aggressive investments. And many options in between. You had the choice of where to put your money in terms of percent. I will still say, if you are approaching retirement age and have a large sum in the 401K to pull back from being aggressive and go to basically stable places to put your money. if you went conservative and are in your early 60's you still have last money this month but not nearly as much as being uber aggressive.

Rich
Old 03-19-2020, 07:36 PM
L.arry Glads.tone

Default a new era

We should stop dealing with China as they are a threat to our security unless they change how they are to us and the world, we don't need them if we make crap here or in a friendly country......we should respect one another and maybe this was a true wake up call that will make all people appreciate how lucky we are....We need a strong America and a Compassionate America but not a stupid America...we need to build products, build infrastructure, we need everyone to buy baseball cards, a game WE INVENTED!

and most of all, we need gratitude & faith.
Old 03-20-2020, 06:03 PM
Bob
Bob Comm.entucci

Quote:
Thanks for the hearty laugh! Glad I wasn't drinking when I read this. Runner up: JLS Cards out of Alaska
Old 03-20-2020, 07:04 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by painthistorian View Post
We should stop dealing with China as they are a threat to our security unless they change how they are to us and the world, we don't need them if we make crap here or in a friendly country......we should respect one another and maybe this was a true wake up call that will make all people appreciate how lucky we are....We need a strong America and a Compassionate America but not a stupid America...we need to build products, build infrastructure, we need everyone to buy baseball cards, a game WE INVENTED!

and most of all, we need gratitude & faith.
Good luck convincing Americans to pay $4k for an iPhone because it’s “made in the USA”.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:20 PM
David Peck

This is the most important card in the market.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/40215721526...p2471758.m4704

Cruising to new highs with time to go.

I will openly admit the stock and bond route has gone much deeper than I could have imagined but some how I continue to see very strong card prices.

As tough as it might seem to stay bullish I am reminded daily that there is tremendous demand for trading cards.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:36 PM
pete ullman

Sorry not sure if I’m believing that that price will result in a real sale?
Old 03-21-2020, 08:46 PM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Sorry not sure if I’m believing that that price will result in a real sale?
The card is selling strong in all grades.

eBay competed auctions are remaining very strong across all genres.

I get it everyone is waiting for the shoe to drop but so far after a historic route in stock and bond prices it hasn’t happened.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:47 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default don't pop the champagne cork just yet....

but if this decline continues.......get it on ice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg decline.jpg (10.2 KB, 324 views)
Old 03-22-2020, 09:01 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

People still watching PWCC auctions? What a freaking farce, from day 1 until today.

Old 03-22-2020, 09:03 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
People still watching PWCC auctions? What a freaking farce, from day 1 until today.
well at least with PSA shut down they won't have a stream of altered, er, conserved, cards to sell.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 03-22-2020, 09:06 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
well at least with PSA shut down they won't have a stream of altered, er, conserved, cards to sell.
What's a trimmer to do? Just use sgc and "only" realize a smaller profit

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Old 03-22-2020, 10:22 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Now that's funny...