NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-28-2006, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Default paper loss

Posted By: Anson

Has anyone ever noticed that paper loss on a corner doesn't get the negative impact on a grade as if it's not along the border? Paper loss anywhere else on a card lowers the grade to an automatic good 2 or less. However, paper loss on the corner or edge can be found on some Ex-Mt 5s.

Old 01-28-2006, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Default paper loss

Posted By: T206Collector

...that this thread was going to ask the question: "How do you fix paper loss on the back of a T206 card -- will soaking it in water help?" But, alas, that question will have to be answered another day.

In all seriousness, I have found that PSA, SGC and GAI treat paper loss differently, with SGC being by far the harshest critic. When I crossed all of my PSA T206 cards over into SGC holders, the ones that didn't make it with the same grade or higher often had small bits of paper loss or chipping. Similarly, I have found GAI to be less strict when looking at paper loss.

Old 01-28-2006, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Default paper loss

Posted By: tbob

I had just the opposite experience, 4 SGC cards which had back paper loss, when cracked out, actually dropped in grade (no matter how nice the front was) when slabbed by GAI. I was trying to get an entire set in GAI instead of 70% GAI and 30% SGC.

Old 01-28-2006, 09:20 PM
Administrator

Default paper loss

Posted By: barry arnold

i have noticed your point Anson and wish that the grades
didn't go down to good or less when there is missing paper(except when it's the edge or corners).

i must admit that i get a little relieved when my grade
is higher when the missing paper is at the corners or at the
edge.
still, the better part of me wishes all the graders would
be more tolerant of minor missing paper, particularly on the back. I have an absolutely beautiful white cap matty
206 which is easily a 6 or better but graded a 2 due to
paper loss on the back.

I guess the bottom line is i'd like to see the graders
explain somewhere why they do what they do---e.g.
as you suggest, why let corner/edge missing paper pass and
not paper missing elsewhere.

best,

barry

Old 01-28-2006, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Default paper loss

...since I know you collect E95's, my experience was with an E95 card I have which was graded 2.5 by GAI. It has some paper loss on the front borders. But, SGC would not grade it even a 30/2. I was bummed because I wanted all of my E95 cards to be SGC graded...

Old 01-28-2006, 09:25 PM
Administrator

Default paper loss

Posted By: zach

"How do you fix paper loss on the back of a T206 card -- will soaking it in water help?"

Soaking will only help you get the paper off the back of the card. If you have paper missing there is nothing that can fix it.

Old 01-28-2006, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Default paper loss

Posted By: tbob

I have a gorgeous E98 Matty which looks like an SGC 70 and is instead an SGC 30 because of a tiny bit of paper loss on the back less than the size of a pencil eraser, so I definitely know whereof you speak with SGC. Still, I had more luck with them than I did with GAI on the 4 cards mentioned. Hard to figure these guys out...

Old 01-29-2006, 05:36 AM
Administrator

Default paper loss

"Soaking will only help you get the paper off the back of the card. If you have paper missing there is nothing that can fix it."

Not true. I have heard stories about baseball card clerics that soak T206 cards with paper loss in a mixture of old scrap tobacco and vintage rum. This can restore the backs on some, but not all, T206 cards. I do not think it works on Sweet Caporal backs later than Series 150, but just because this author hasn't seen one doesn't mean that it isn't possible.

Old 01-29-2006, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Default paper loss

Posted By: Anson

Enough rum and tobacco will make anything disappear

Old 01-29-2006, 08:32 AM
Administrator

Default paper loss

Posted By: Henry Eshelman

It seems like paper loss connected with a crease is also graded less harshly because if a card has a crease and paper loss youd think automatic one but many cards with a corner crease and paper loss connected to it come back 2's.

Thanks, Henry Eshelman

Old 01-29-2006, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Default paper loss

Posted By: identify7

By "Vintage Rum" do you mean pre-war?

Old 01-29-2006, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Default paper loss

Posted By: zach

Well I did the experiment, rum and scrap tobacco on a beater T206. I thought to myself how would soaking a card in this mixture possibly fix paper loss? The only way to fix paper loss would be to actually put more paper somehow over where the paper is missing. Anyways, I did it and all it did was evenly tone the card, the paper loss still clearly evident on the reverse. BTW it was a Sweet Caporal back. If anything this method is used to possibly conceal and hide the paper loss but it isn't going to "fix" it, it will just tone everything and hopefully hide it.

Old 01-29-2006, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Default paper loss

(1) Yes, I did mean pre-war rum;

and

(2) On the toning issue -- you now need to get your handy dandy OBC 3D glasses out, have a shot of the rum tobacco mixture and stare at the card for a few minutes. Only then will you see the image repair itself.

Old 01-30-2006, 02:09 AM
Administrator

Default paper loss

Posted By: BcD

avatar bob! I'm gonna go purple soon just for you!