NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-06-2021, 03:15 PM
Todd C

Default How do you price old newspapers with Baseball related articles ?

referring to pre-WW2

Any idea of how to price newspapers that have articles for:

Gehrig ? Ruth ?

Merkle "bonehead" play ?

any help would be appreciated
Old 05-06-2021, 03:30 PM

About 10 years ago I purchased a an ole' Photo album from a Son of a Baseball collector. It was put together through a 'Fathers Life Time", from about 1900 til about the early 70's.

Mathewson, McGraw, Cobb, Johnson, Gehrig, Ruth, Jackie Robinson, Mantle, DiMaggio, etc..... You name someone of Baseball interest & I might jus have something of theirs in it!?!

I've been slowly separating them into individual Player Albums!

Same Boat We're iN! Then What?
Old 05-06-2021, 03:43 PM

I used to collect newspapers fairly extensively. I had a collection that went back to the mid 1850. While I enjoyed them I can to the conclusion that it is unlikely that there will ever be that much of a market. I think the main issue is that their size just makes them difficult to display and to enjoy. Further the post 1900 papers which were made with pulp paper are almost impossible to handle without damage occurring every read.
Old 05-06-2021, 03:52 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason19th View Post
I used to collect newspapers fairly extensively. I had a collection that went back to the mid 1850. While I enjoyed them I can to the conclusion that it is unlikely that there will ever be that much of a market. I think the main issue is that their size just makes them difficult to display and to enjoy. Further the post 1900 papers which were made with pulp paper are almost impossible to handle without damage occurring every read.
Agreed. The few I've sold I had to practically give away. While there are certainly exceptions, run of the mill stuff is usually oversized and doesn't make a great display piece.
Old 05-07-2021, 06:48 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
Agreed. The few I've sold I had to practically give away. While there are certainly exceptions, run of the mill stuff is usually oversized and doesn't make a great display piece.
Uh...yeah. I'm gonna to have to go ahead and sorta disagree with you.

My basement is littered with framed newspapers, partly because both my father and grandfather were newspaper photographers, but I still think old newspapers make great display pieces. These are actual pieces of history! Sold on the street the actual day, or day after, the event occurred!

The 1935 Tiger world series win newspaper went for around $200 on ebay a year or so ago, so I don't think they're exactly cheap. Admittedly, it is not wise to handle them since they will fall apart, and framing them can be tricky.

IMG_2195.jpg
IMG_2193.jpg

Last edited by SAllen2556; 05-07-2021 at 06:49 AM.
Old 05-07-2021, 02:25 PM
Doug Goodman

Certainly random newspaper issues or pages with baseball content are worth virtually nothing (unless you get lucky and find the right buyer). It gets easier with large images or headlines as noted by SAllen2556, but even then prices are super cheap in comparison to cards with comparable ages.

With the occasional exception (like panoramic photos), I would argue that the bigger things are the cheaper they sell for, on average.

Doug "so size DOES matter?" Goodman

PS - for those of you who care, I believe the safest way to store larger items, particularly newspaper pages from the brittle era, is in a bag (like a comic book) and then in an Itoya profolio (the largest size they sell is 18 X 24). For centerfolds, it's possible to put the backing page in the middle and then fold it all the way over so as to be on the front and back of a single page sleeve, so both are viewable.

Last edited by doug.goodman; 05-07-2021 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-07-2021, 03:24 PM
GaryPassamonte

Certain newspaper type images can sell for decent money. In fact, a Ruthcover identical to this one from 1916 is currently at $3700 without the BP in Heritage's auction. The auction closes tonight so there may be more bids to come. Granted this may be the exception, but we're talking real money here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruth1916.jpg (55.2 KB, 229 views)

Last edited by GaryPassamonte; 05-07-2021 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-07-2021, 07:15 PM
Jay Cee

Current price is 4800.00 and next bid will take it to 5k. So much for newspapers flying under the radar. What’s left to collect for nice old pre war baseball items? Letterheads?

Update... Just closed at 9,900.00. Looks like the Dewey beats Truman paper has company!

Last edited by BeanTown; 05-07-2021 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Update FV on Ruth paper
Old 05-08-2021, 08:17 AM
GaryPassamonte

I'd like to meet the under bidder.
Old 05-08-2021, 08:26 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

well that one. These Ruth cover mid-week pictorials have been circulating forever, and never worth more than a few hundred, intact and in great shape. I believe I barely sold mine 25 years later for what I paid. A loss after inflation!

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 05-08-2021, 08:48 AM
CoreyRS.hanus

This is the link to the 1909 Sporting Life that had the T206 ad that pictured Wagner. https://auction.lelands.com/bids/bidplace?itemid=88843

The lot was the entire issue, and I was surprised it did not sell for more.

As has been said, some of these vintage newspapers contain hidden gems and often sell under the radar.
Old 05-08-2021, 02:04 PM
H Murphy

Default Newspapers

Like them and think they look great framed in the hobby room. That Ruth Sporting News is nice. Enclosed is one of my favorite pieces, The Boston Post`s cover story resulting from Jackson`s and Cicotte`s 1`st grand jury testimony in Sept. 1920 (the 1`st gambling admittance). The rest is history.....
Boston Post Headlines, September 29`th 1920 by Hugh Murphy, on Flickr
Old 05-28-2021, 11:33 AM

Some of these are worth a little bit... (:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New Yankee Stadium_The House that Ruth Built!.jpg (66.6 KB, 133 views)
Old 06-04-2021, 12:42 PM
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjulmag View Post
This is the link to the 1909 Sporting Life that had the T206 ad that pictured Wagner. https://auction.lelands.com/bids/bidplace?itemid=88843

The lot was the entire issue, and I was surprised it did not sell for more.

As has been said, some of these vintage newspapers contain hidden gems and often sell under the radar.
The fact that publications like this were not made to survive makes them more desirable to me. Imagine how many issues like this were thrown out because the paper disintegrated or because the issue didn't have a major star on the cover. I believe the value of this issue is underpriced for the history it contains.
Old 06-04-2021, 01:25 PM
Jimmy

I have been selling paper and ephemera for a long time and paper stuff always gets the lowest prices - if you look hard enough there some really good vintage items out there. Newspaper can go for the least amount unless big names are on the front covers. Programs and photos do better, newspaper stuff can be tough. I had some really nice stuff from 1967 Red Sox and I thought it would sell at decent prices - got less than 100.00 for 12 newspapers. Now prewar can be different, but even some of the stuff from the 1920s that shows up often sells for maybe 20.00 or 30.00 a newspaper unless real bigs names are on it. The good thing sense you asked, is this stuff is more affordable compared to cards, so if you find something cheap and it's nice buy it! All this type of stuff is going to get harder to find. Ads with cards or baseball can be very good can be different as you can see - still ok prices!

Jimmy

Last edited by jbsports33; 06-04-2021 at 01:28 PM.