NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-07-2005, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Default Why are dealer sites not updated? Friendly request

Posted By: pete

Im not a computer guy by any means, (hell it took almost a year before I could post a photo) but is it possible for dealers to remove "SOLD" cards from their sites?

I have roughly 10 must have cards on my want list and everytime I visit some of the dealer sites, I find the cards I want but with a "SOLD" sign next to it or when I contact them they say "OH THATS BEEN SOLD FOR AWHILE" or even "that card is in my personal collection and not for sale"...so why aren't they being removed??

I waste more time going through their sites hoping to find the card available somewhere but almost always dont.

Would the dealers that do this please update your sites or move these "sold" or "unavailable" cards to a different part of your site marked "not for sale" or something like that ?

thank you letting me vent!

Old 11-07-2005, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

I think that there are dealers that may not be too computer literate and they rely on others to update their sites.

At first a web site seems like a great idea, but after a while people that use it as a sales vehicle understand (or figure out) that there is a little maintenance that goes with this. Some know how to do this, others don't and have to wait for someone to do it for them.

Old 11-07-2005, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

My site was just updated today. The cards I've sold outright and on eBay are gone (the T3s, the E90-1 Plank, Carey and Hooper); those in the auction I'll keep up till the auction; the japanese and hockey cards I will continue to update.

Oh. I'm not a dealer...but I can finally manage my own website! (thanks, Ben).

Old 11-07-2005, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andrew

When I buy via mailorder, I need to send money first, and pay a nice premium because of dealer overhead. When I sell, I need to send cards first, at a discount for the same reasons. Is a dealer someone who earns a living solely from cards? Most of the sellers I buy from transact cards as a means of supplementary income. I should get a table at the next show or create a site so I can say cool things like, "I gotta to earn a living", "I need to cover my table/website cost", "there's no demand for your cards", etc.

Rant is right.

“A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.” - English Proverb

Old 11-07-2005, 10:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: pete

I was speaking generally for dealer sites located from links on this board, yes julie I did notice you updated your site but then again, I dont consider yours to be a dealer's site, yours I consider to be a collector's site. I enjoy looking at both collector and dealer sites to see what kind of cards people own, especially the collector sites since none are currently for sale.

I plan on putting a collector site together soon but my particular site will contain my own historical items with brief discriptions, like my dinosaur egg, newspaper printed by benjamin franklin, civil war musket and of course my small but valuable tobacco card collection.

pete

my best pitch was the one that made it to the plate!

Old 11-07-2005, 11:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Dealers' websites aren't updated when buyers don't regularly buy from the sites. If collectors were buying daily from the website, the dealers would update the sites daily.

It isn't difficult to update a sales list daily. When someone points out an error on my site, I fix the error and say "What error?"

Old 11-07-2005, 11:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

How come you send cards first, before you get money?

Old 11-07-2005, 11:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Also, most web site owners listen to suggestions. At the least, someone who emails advice or input holds more sway over the owner than those who don't.

Old 11-08-2005, 12:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: BlackSoxFan

most dealers have no CMS for their own sites. These aren't guys who are "comfortable" with the web, they use it b/c they have to. Those that do have a CMS had it built for them by some techie with little idea of what the client (aka the dealer) would truly be able to utilize. I suspect that the one reason some dealers intentionally leave up past sales is advertising. Although i find it more cumbersome than anything else, the dealer probably thinks a potential customer will be impressed if they see that the dealer has recently sold a particular card. Just my 2cents.

Soon to return to being a lurker

(edited for poor spelling)
Regards,

Black Sox Fan

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

email me

Old 11-08-2005, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: honus3415

...not only for the site owner but also on the Net54 VBC forum.

I too have visited many of the sites listed through the "VBC Forum - Vintage Links - Dealer Sites" and found MY time being wasted because of "Dealer Sites" that were not properly maintained. The owners of these sites should realize that it is a "privilege" to have their site listed here and not a "right".

I would suggest that individuals finding "Dealer Sites" as well as "Auction Sites" that are not being properly maintained, drop a kind email to Leon or the forum administrators notifying them of this fact. It has been my experience that they would look into it and make the necessary adjustments.

As for websights associated with members under the "Net54 Vintage Collectors", outdated sites are a direct reflection upon those individuals also. Keeping pictures or listings up of "sold" items which invite inquiries is also very inconsiderate and and reflects upon that seller as one that probably deals directly with individuals in the same unhealthy manner and should be avoided.

I would take this one step further and say the same can be said of individuals with their posting on the "B/S/T" board. What is particuliarly irritating here is when individuals jump someone else's want post with statements like "you'll be in line behind me" or "I'll beat his price".

Remember a handful of $100 bills shouldn't necessarily make a person someone you would want to deal with, nor should nice scans on a website.

Again, trust the image that words and pictures give you of their author. More often than not, they are a reflection on the true character of the individual responsible for them.

Old 11-08-2005, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty

I am responding as a dealer who does leave cards up that I have sold. I use to do this to show that I do move inventory. This is no longer the reason. I now do so for two reasons. It is fairly quick to mark an item as sold. It takes longer to delete the listing and the image on my site. If I do not remove the image, I consume more disk space than I should and I can run out of space. The most important reason for me is to have the image up until I hear from my customer that they received the card that I sent. I do this so that if they have any question about the card, they can still check out the scan. I do not hear back from very many that they received the card, so I wait. I clear my site up every few weeks.