NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-09-2009, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Default OT: Need info help from a Boston area fan

Posted By: Bob

Please pardon the intrusion but I need to have a question answered by anyone in the Boston area who might help. My wife and I are returning from Europe this fall and arriving at the airport at 3:25 pm. Is there any chance we can deplane, get our luggage and make it to a Red Sox game at 7:05 at Fenway. The answer is probably "you gotta be kidding" but I thought I'd take a shot.
Thanks,
tbob

Old 03-09-2009, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan McCarthy

Do you have a car at Logan that you are planning on driving to Fenway with or are you planning on taking the T (subway)? What are you going to do with your luggage? If the flight isn't delayed at all I don't think you'd run into a problem getting to the game.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott

Easy. You'll be able to catch a cab and have a nice dinner at the Capitol Grille or Smith & Wollensky's or Davio's first. Then catch another cab over to the game.

Have fun.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dstudeba

If you take the T I would think you would have time to have dinner before the game also.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Dan- I thought we might be able to grab a hotel near the airport and dump the luggage at the desk and then go to Fenway. Any suggestions on the best (and fastest) way to get to Fenway? We won't have a car.
Thanks,
Bob

Old 03-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Thanks for all the help. I am unfamiliar with Boston so don't know if the subway or a cab is the best bet.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan McCarthy

I've never been in a cab here because I just take the T everywhere, so I can't say anything for or against that plan. Here's the subway map:

http://mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subway/

To get to Fenway from Logan you'd take the silver line (which are buses) to South Station, then get on the red line inbound to Park St, then the green line outbound to Kenmore and you're there! My roommate said it takes usually takes about an hour and fifteen minutes to get from Logan to BC, which is at the very end of the green line. I'd guess it would take about 45 minutes to get to Kenmore, so you've got plenty of time.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Thomas

Bob,

If you are flying out next day airport hotel is best bet. If not might want to stay in Copley Sq., where you can walk to Fenway.

From Airport Hotel do not take taxi real bad traffic at that time. Take hotel shuttle to the airport stop on the Blue line. Take Blue line downtown 4 stops to Government Center.

Change to Green Line and take any car going west except Heath St. Boston College, Kenmore, Cleveland Circle or Riverside all will take you 6 six stops to Kenmore Sq. 5 minute walk to Green Monster and entry to Fenway. If you don't have tickets, you will be able to score some on the subway or during the walk from Kenmore Sq.

Wish I was going,
Peter

Old 03-09-2009, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Thomas

Bob - I just read Dan's post and would recommend that way if you are staying downtown, but if you are staying at the airport. I think that the blue line is easier. The silver line buses have their own tunnel to the red line - part of the big dig project I think.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Sarian

Another vote for no taxi!

Odds are, by the time you get through customs, etc., it will be close to 5 PM. Although Logan is only a couple of miles from downtown, traffic is HORRENDOUS at that time!

I would recommend taking the T (the subway) - it is very efficient and only costs $2 per person, and can get you to a hotel in the Fenway area in well under an hour. This will be plenty of time to check in, ditch the bags and hit the game!

Old 03-09-2009, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Sarian

Bob, what date are you going to be in Boston? I share season tickets for Fenway and might be able to help out for a certain date if you just need two tickets.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al

My 2 cents...

Stay at the airport Hilton and take a taxi to Fenway. It won't be cheap because of potential traffic delays. Reversing course is a snap, take the T back to Logan (airport stop). You get on at Kenmore square (blue line I believe) then change over to the green line to the airport. Google Boston MBTA maps for a color grid of the system. This allows you to drop the luggage, freshen up a bit and be on your way.

Take the T back to the Hilton (airport stop). When leaving the game, you will cross over the Massachusetts turnpike, (parallel to the 3rd base line) and when it joins Kenmore square turn right and down just a bit on the right is the entry to the T. You can almost follow the crowd or simply ask, people are pretty friendly...UNLESS it's a Yankees game and you have Yankee's gear on...NOT recommended!!!

Hope it works for you, enjoy the game.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott

The T is a cluster**** and not any fun before ballgames. If you are from out of town it's even worse. Take the cab. Any good cabbie will get you close and a little traffic is the least of all the evils.

Buy Grandstand seats section 24-32 (3rd base side)unless you already have a good ticket source and seats lined up. Expect to pay $150-250 or higher per ticket for anything decent.

Have fun no matter what you choose.

Go Sox.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam

"I thought we might be able to grab a hotel near the airport"

Just FYI - Whenever I have stayed at Logan, it's been at the Hyatt or the Hilton. Both are right on the airport grounds and are very close to the terminals.

Edited to add links --

Logan Hyatt: http://harborside.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp

Logan Hilton: http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hotel/BOSLHHH-Hilton-Boston-Logan-Airport-Massachusetts/index.do

Old 03-10-2009, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bruce Dorskind

We suggest you hire a Cary Limo

Have them greet you at the Airport
Arrange for the concierge at the hotel
to take your luggage up to your room.

If the plane is on time you will be at your hotel
by 4;)00. Change and shower and you can leave
by 5:00 Have dinner a fine restaurant and finish
by 7 and drive over to Fenway

Shower if you would, like and have the Limo
take you to the game.

No hassle, no fuss and plenty of time relax
and enjoy

Old 03-11-2009, 07:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Donaldson

If money is no object, then I'd agree with Bruce.

If you want to save money for BB Cards I have a few options

Stay in a hotel in copley sq. You could take a cab or the T blue line to green line to copley. T probably faster, definitely cheaper. You can walk to Fenway in about 10-20 minutes. If you stay at the Sheraton right at Prudential center its not more than 10 minutes. That's where visiting teams stayed in the 70s, not sure about now

Stay at the Holiday Inn on Cambridge St. Blue line from hotel to Bowden (Nice thing is you avoid the green line) and a 5-10 walk from there (all slightly down hill) or cab from the airport. You could T to the game (5-10 walk to Gov't Center, 10-15 min green line to kenmore). Me, I'd walk to Fenway, it would be at least 45 minutes, but you could go through Beacon Hill, the common and Public gardens a great walk.

There's also a few hotels; Howard Johnson, Buckminster, Hotel commonwealth ($$$) that are within 1/2 mile of the park.

One thing to keep in mind, although most of us seem to prefer the T, if you are carrying luggage to your hotel, stay away from the green line after 5pm as it will be jamed. In that case you are better off with a taxi.

good luck

Bob

Old 03-11-2009, 10:49 AM
Administrator

I wanted to thank everyone who responded for all the great tips and hints. One of the great things about this board is not only the information and education about cards but the helpfulness and cordiality of the collectors, posters and lurkers alike, who are here.
I'll haunt ebay and Stub Hub and try and find some decent tickets and keep my fingers crossed that FOX doesn't decide to make it a Saturday game of the week and change the time to 3:05 sad.gif
Thanks again,
tbob

Old 03-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve F

Wait, One more reply here... Yes, you'll have plenty of time. Besides, some of the older folks arrive after the game's begun to avoid the mass of Fenway rabble. Some hang in the bleachers after the last pitch to soak up the aura. To me, it's even more wonderful when empty. Some excellent suggestions above, so whatever the choice you'll have a fun memory. How I'd do it...

Short, free shuttle from the terminal to the Airport 'T' station then two subway stops to Aquarium Station. Walk across Atlantic Ave to the Marriott Long Wharf our long-time favorite (not too cheap, but certainly memorable). Why here?, Great skyline view, on Columbus Park at the waterfront and the newly designed Kennedy Parkway, close to several clubs and Revolution-era pubs, evening blues cruise and whale watch, Quincy Mkt shopping, powerful history, antique structures and the neighboring North End has the best grub east of Mulberry Street. Added bonuses, the harbor seals play in the pool outside the Aquarium 24/7 and the old Goudey Gum Company headquarters still stands across the street. Don't bother dumpster diving though sad.gif

Game time shortly? We always walk but you won't have time; From the Marriott, walk through Fanuel Hall (Stop at Pizzaria Regina for a couple of slices) to the Government Ctr 'T' station and catch the green-line to Kenmore Station. NOT Fenway Station. Yes Yanks fans... This was a scheme of old Mayor Curley, to piss you guys off wink.gif

Fill up on cheap beer at the Cask'n Flagon up the hill to the park or, if you're early enough the Bleacher Bar. It has a great view of the field and literally in the belly of the Green Monster.

You likely won't have time pre-game, but afterwards walk over to McGreevy's Third Base Saloon on Boylston St, it's on the way back anyway. Tons of stunning vintage Boston American's memorabilia is displayed and you may be served by Nuf Ced's great granddaughter.

Regardless of how you go, wear sneakers. We always walk back home to the Marriott from Fenway, it's just a little over two miles... Down posh Newbury St, across the Public Gardens and a pit stop at Cheer's, aka The Bull 'n Finch pub. It can be touristy but the place is actually pretty good and reasonable. Heading back, through the Common, by the Granary Buryng Grounds; Samuel Adams, John Hancock, Robert Treat Paine, Peter Faneuil, Paul Revere; James Otis, Mother Goose and five victims of the Boston Massacre and I'm not talking 2004 WSC happy.gif... Continue down State St to the harbor, stopping near the hotel for a couple more and some pub grub at Kitty O'Sheas or An Tain.

If you're up to it, several of the Italian joints in the North End serve until late and just a short walk furthur.

Bear in mind, you can hop on the 'T' by McGreevy's, at Hynes Ctr station back to Government Ctr station, where the odyssey began. Boston's is a very safe, clean and simple four-line subway system.

Be aware, a scant number of Sox fans, but not all, can become instant Massho1es when etoh is added. Though most MLB team gear is ignored throughout the city, never wear any thing NYY in any bar. Sadly, the warning inside An Tain is not a joke. Funny thing, I didn't hear a peep from these 'devotees' from 1968-2004?

Option, I've always wanted to stay a night at the notorious Charles Street Jail, ca1851. Now, Boston's Liberty Hotel. Even though it's an archtectural Ugly Duckling story, thankfully, very little of this gothic, granite structure has changed but what has is stunning. But, though my granpa stayed there for nothing, rooms are now around $350 a night and it's located, on purpose no doubt, a wee bit too far from the waterfront.

Which game is it, seats? I often buy seats a 4-5 days early for cheap $ when there's an even chance of rain. Forecasts improve or worsen at the last minute here and I've fairly been lucky with the rain-outs.

Guaranteed you'll have a blast. Steve

Old 03-11-2009, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Saturday night Sept. 12 against Tampa Bay. That's why there was some concern FOX might make it the game of the week: a) Red Sox b) TB may well be fighting it out for the division title again.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al

One last comment...

For an evening game, be sure to get tix from about half way down the right field line back towards homeplate and up to the Monstah. Tix elsewhere will have you squinting in the sun till sunset for perhaps an hour or so. The sun will set on a line roughly from the right field foul pole across to the left field foul pole.

Lots of good responses you got, even I learned a few things.

Hope you have a great time, and my hometown area treats you well.