NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-29-2021, 02:16 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default Vintage Memorabilia at National - Anyone?

If anyone who attends the National can comment on the memorabilia scene. (particularly more higher end stuff) I’d really appreciate your impressions. Photos, contracts, etc. Thanks.
Old 07-29-2021, 02:37 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I heard (from a very reliable source) that although it's jam-packed, the show is very light on quality vintage memorabilia. Lots of hype around cards, set breaks, mass-produced items, grading, autograph guests and modern offerings.

Most of the good memorabilia in the building is not necessarily for sale, and is displayed by auction houses to promote their current and upcoming auctions.

Last edited by perezfan; 07-29-2021 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-29-2021, 04:01 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Thanks Mark. That all sounds consistent with what I would have expected.
Cards are just a more fungible commodity I guess. Population reports, website with prices.
Someone spent $5M on a Mahomes card. Their money but I’d rather have a Gehrig Jersey or Ruth one of a kind piece.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 07-29-2021 at 04:01 PM.
Old 07-29-2021, 04:20 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Cards are just a more fungible commodity I guess. Population reports, website with prices.
Someone spent $5M on a Mahomes card. Their money but I’d rather have a Gehrig Jersey or Ruth one of a kind piece.
Amen to that. I can understand putting some money into new player either because you like them or think they could be good invesments, but $4-5 million on a guy, who, if he gets hurt tomorrow, could be done for good is a lot to risk vs a nice Ruth, Gehrig, or some other known established entity.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 07-29-2021, 04:54 PM
Kevin from Franklin Square, LI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Read it as 5k on a Mahomes card and thought that was a tad high…
Old 07-29-2021, 05:13 PM

Default National vintage memorabilia

Bought this framed up ad from circa 1900 or so (BASE BALL) ...pretty much covers everything you need to know about the activities taking place....that is what attracted me to it....Also, it was found in North Carolina but now has made its way back to the home state....Sandwich, Il. is about 75 miles from where I live.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sandwich.jpg (75.7 KB, 755 views)
Old 07-29-2021, 10:02 PM
Banned

the seller you bought that from had some incredible memorabilia at his booth. the “baseball today” cloth banner was a beauty. lots of high-end top shelf memorabilia throughout this national.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:30 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
the seller you bought that from had some incredible memorabilia at his booth. the “baseball today” cloth banner was a beauty. lots of high-end top shelf memorabilia throughout this national.
Do you have any pics or images to share? Thanks!
Old 07-30-2021, 12:09 PM
Banned

no. i don’t go to the national to take pictures
Old 07-30-2021, 12:19 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
no. i don’t go to the national to take pictures
Weird response.
Old 07-30-2021, 01:25 PM
Bill Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Weird response.
Really? I've been to a half-dozen Nationals and never taken a photo.
Old 07-30-2021, 06:11 PM
Casey

The show today was crowded. I finally figured out the huge floor is pseudo broken into two parts. Newish stuff on one side and vintage stuff on the other. I don't know if that was on purpose. But that's how I found it. I wasted a lot of time in the newish section before realizing.
Old 07-30-2021, 07:04 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRoberts View Post
Really? I've been to a half-dozen Nationals and never taken a photo.
Each is own with photo’s or not photo’s. Some of us who never been to Nationals loves the members sharing their experience and we are hopeful some have photo’s to help better visualize it.

So no harm meant in asking

Thanks

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 07-30-2021, 07:17 PM
Bill Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post

So no harm meant in asking
I totally agree: no harm in asking.

The response to when someone said he doesn't take photos at the National was it is "weird" is what prompted my post.
Old 07-30-2021, 09:16 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Case12 View Post
The show today was crowded. I finally figured out the huge floor is pseudo broken into two parts. Newish stuff on one side and vintage stuff on the other. I don't know if that was on purpose. But that's how I found it. I wasted a lot of time in the newish section before realizing.
The vintage guys are all near the front because they've done a lot of Nationals and have priority in picking tables.
Old 07-31-2021, 08:41 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRoberts View Post
I totally agree: no harm in asking.

The response to when someone said he doesn't take photos at the National was it is "weird" is what prompted my post.

Reading comprehension Bill. I said his response was weird. He seemed offended he was asked for pictures. That is a weird reaction. As if it's a crazy idea.
Old 07-31-2021, 04:23 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Well, the card guys have no trouble posting photos. Other collector forums and Youtube videos are showing a plethora of cards at the National.... but I still haven't seen diddlysquat in the way of vintage memorabilia.

Judging from the numerous videos and photos I've seen so far... the floor space seems to be allocated to 60% cards, 20% auction houses, 10% TPGs, 5% new "manufactured" memorabilia, 3% supplies and maybe 2% vintage memorabilia.
Old 07-31-2021, 07:40 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Well, the card guys have no trouble posting photos. Other collector forums and Youtube videos are showing a plethora of cards at the National.... but I still haven't seen diddlysquat in the way of vintage memorabilia.

Judging from the numerous videos and photos I've seen so far... the floor space seems to be allocated to 60% cards, 20% auction houses, 10% TPGs, 5% new "manufactured" memorabilia, 3% supplies and maybe 2% vintage memorabilia.
Don’t think I’ll ever bother with another National. My one and only was Anaheim (1994?).
Old 07-31-2021, 08:16 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Already looking forward to AC next year. In 2016 when it was here in NJ I really enjoyed the show and came home with a couple nice items. I know 5 years ago many things were different but saw lots of great Memorabilia at that national. Hope 2022 is the same.
J
Old 07-31-2021, 08:51 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

To answer your question, I thought it was weak. There was some great stuff at some of the auction house displays including Hunt and Heritage, but little for sale. The memorabilia that was there was generally marked about 2-3 times normal retail, but people are free to mark as they wish. Keith Javic had a nice display as usual and Rick Haskins had plenty of great pennants and his prices are very reasonable in my opinion. There were some other pieces here and there and some nice autographs for sale. The rest of what I personally saw was the regular run of the mill stuff and other items I have seen many times in the past. Sorry I don’t generally take photos. Jason
Old 07-31-2021, 11:26 PM

Default sat it out

I didn't go this year but snagged two items by text, after friends sent photos...first was the Yale hockey sweater from Corey Leiby...Dave Sykes of the three Bill's n' Dave posse sent a shot of a display cabinet and it looked like a Corey booth...so texted Corey and clinched it...One of the best hockey sweaters I've come across...then that University of Pennsylvania baseball broadside schedule I got from Keith Javic...I learned John Gennantonio had already seen it because when I showed it to him he said he had researched previously and it was either 1908 or 1914 based on cross examining the dates with yearbooks from his archives...Faded and chipped...that's the perfect condition I like a broadside...because you're 300% sure it's real not a repop...You can see why these kinds of posters are so rare because of how fragile it is...very few have survived...most were broken and tossed...University of Pennsylvania sports broadsides are extremely rare for some reason…I believe this is the first one I’ve seen…so I was very happy to get it…

Old 07-31-2021, 11:52 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarltonHendricks View Post
...then that University of Pennsylvania baseball broadside schedule I got from Keith Javic...I learned John Gennantonio had already seen it because when I showed it to him he said he had researched previously and it was either 1908 or 1914 based on cross examining the dates with yearbooks from his archives...
It isn't 1908 or 1914. I took a date from the broadside, April 21 which needs to be a Friday. That date, on the following years, was:

1908 Tuesday
1909 Wednesday
1910 Thursday
1911 Friday
1912 Sunday
1913 Monday
1914 Tuesday
1915 Wednesday
1916 Friday
Old 08-01-2021, 12:15 AM

Default or what ever...

I should correct that Gennantonio said as much he "thought" from recollection it was 1908 or 1914 speaking off the cuff...My first question to John was when did they stop wearing collared jerseys...

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 08-01-2021 at 12:23 AM.
Old 08-01-2021, 12:35 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarltonHendricks View Post

I should correct that Gennantonio said as much he "thought" from recollection it was 1908 or 1914 speaking off the cuff...My first question to John was when did they stop wearing collared jerseys...
I am not trying to be a jerk, I am trying to help you identify the year.
Old 08-01-2021, 12:58 AM

Default thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
I am not trying to be a jerk, I am trying to help you identify the year.
Thanks very much Mark...

Old 08-01-2021, 07:18 AM
Matt

Default my only pickup

Guys............This was the only memorabilia pickup for me at the show, as I was there Wednesday and Thursday. I acquired it from Corey, as well. I love the colors and vintage graphics and it's still sealed. There were more cool items, but I was kind of looking for a figural baseball trophy which didn't pan out.

Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210731_130631.jpg (67.6 KB, 406 views)
Old 08-01-2021, 08:19 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
Already looking forward to AC next year. In 2016 when it was here in NJ I really enjoyed the show and came home with a couple nice items. I know 5 years ago many things were different but saw lots of great Memorabilia at that national. Hope 2022 is the same.
J
If I go to one, it will probably be that one. It fits more easily into my calendar. Just can't seem to make room for Chicago in July.
Old 08-03-2021, 04:48 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I've rarely taken photos at the National but I did snap a few at past shows. I thought this one was a great still-life of the National experience:

I call it "Stuff and Donut"

Then there's this one:

Last AC show, me and Riddick Bowe.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-04-2021, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
To answer your question, I thought it was weak. There was some great stuff at some of the auction house displays including Hunt and Heritage, but little for sale. The memorabilia that was there was generally marked about 2-3 times normal retail, but people are free to mark as they wish. Keith Javic had a nice display as usual and Rick Haskins had plenty of great pennants and his prices are very reasonable in my opinion. There were some other pieces here and there and some nice autographs for sale. The rest of what I personally saw was the regular run of the mill stuff and other items I have seen many times in the past. Sorry I don’t generally take photos. Jason
I would generally agree with all of Jason's comments.
As far as vintage memorabilia, this National was the weakest that I have ever attended. His comment about the memorabilia items that were for sale being 2-3 times normal retail was spot on.

Many of you know that I collect vintage baseball tickets. This National was a virtual bust in terms of finding any of these.

That being said, the experience was still worthwhile. Getting a chance to get together with some of my collector and dealer friends was awesome.
I missed attending the National in 2020. It was great to get back to some sence of normalcy.
Old 08-04-2021, 04:50 PM
Mark

I thought the amount of memorabilia was down considerably from past years. I am not talking about super high end stuff more under a $1000 items like games, equipment, odd ball stuff. It did seem like there were more hartlands and it seemed bobble heads must not have sold as well or were overpriced because it seemed cabinets were still pretty full on Sunday afternoon. Lots of pennants but they seemed priced about double what I would expect. I usually buy from non memorabilia dealers so I may not have a good idea on retail price. Took this one picture as I just picked up a set of reeded shin guards. I was surprised how much these were marked. I had fun, was amazed how much money was spent on new stuff as a chance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7B5CED2F-AECC-4055-BEE2-43909621BC01.jpg (19.6 KB, 159 views)