NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-29-2009, 08:18 AM

Default 1967-68 Coke Caps

I've been trying to find the different backs of the coke caps and have come up with 26 different. Anyone have any different ones to add?

FullSize Pic here Coke Caps
Old 11-29-2009, 08:50 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Thumbs up

No clue but really nice job on this!
Old 11-29-2009, 08:14 PM
Howard Chasser

AWESOME COLLECTION! I don't know how detailed you want to get, but I have seen a number of different bottling plants on the regular coke caps! I own a King size Sprite - Unfortunately I have no clue where it is - I'll try to find this post again when I find it as I see you need a scan. I am not positive, but I believe I may have a king size tab. Are you just collecting "type" caps or collecting players/teams? I am always looking for Clemente caps. Thanks. You just introduced me to the existence of a number of different variations! Is ther some checklist as to what players/ teams were produced under which brands/cap variations? Thanks.

-Hward
Old 11-30-2009, 04:28 AM

Default 1967-68 Coke Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
Is ther some checklist as to what players/ teams were produced under which brands/cap variations? Thanks.

-Hward
No checklist I assume all national all-star caps should come in all varieties but the local team caps should be limited to regional variations only but I have no way of knowing which variation goes with area. Talking with coke collectors there were 100s of distributors in the late 60s so not easy matching up but that is the long term goal.

Also 67 / 68 question for team caps, the 67s have the positions the 68s do not the all star are unchanged, if they all come in the same variations or if yearly variations exist. Always looking for any info.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:55 PM
Steve Birmingham

Impressive batch of cap backs! I've been collecting the caps off and on for years, and I don't have any non- coke ones. The Khosher for Passover one should be the toughest, and may be NY area only. RC cola did a similar thing on their cans one year, but only from the New Rochelle NY plant, and only in the few weeks around Passover.

There may also be caps with a built in pull tab that makes a removed one look a bit like a baseball cap. I've only seen them with football players, so they may have given up on them by 67.

I'm not real sure about variations, besides the 67/68 differences. The different bottling plants used different liners, which can make sorting a big batch of one team a little easier.

The 68 set is the only one with the text plays, One of them may be very tough. I think there was some sort of prize for completing the set that was a bit more value than the set of dexter press pics they gave out in 67.

Steve
Old 12-02-2009, 12:33 PM

I loved collecting these bottle caps as a kid.
Here's a store display sign.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coke full.jpg (63.3 KB, 1095 views)
File Type: jpg Coke close.jpg (62.0 KB, 1097 views)
Old 12-02-2009, 01:35 PM
Randy Trierweiler

Very impressive research. I collect almost every oddball set made that has Cardinals in it. For some reason the 1967-68 Coke caps did not have ANY St. Louis Cardinals. They were in the World Series both years.

Does anybody know why this is?
Old 12-02-2009, 04:27 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

I suspect the lack of Cardinals is somehow related to Anheuser Busch and it's relationship with the Redbirds (Owned the team at the time). Perhaps there was a dispute over distributors at the time or competing products affected matters?
Old 12-02-2009, 09:37 PM
Randy Trierweiler

Hi Dave, I doubt that the Busch connection had anything to do with it. Beer and soda competitors back then had no overlapping product. Even today, there is very little.

I think there was only one other team that didn't have the Coke caps, I'd have to look it up. (Angels?)
Old 12-03-2009, 06:18 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalcollector View Post
Hi Dave, I doubt that the Busch connection had anything to do with it. Beer and soda competitors back then had no overlapping product. Even today, there is very little.

I think there was only one other team that didn't have the Coke caps, I'd have to look it up. (Angels?)
Hi Randy!

I goggled this a bit last night and found Busch was selling soda products in the 60's. They seem to have had a line of non-cola's like grape and ginger ale. There also seem to have been some shenanigans with exclusivity of bottling plants at the time. Could all be a coinkidink too.

Anyway, it's always a bummer when old sets have say 13 out of 16 or 19 out of 20 teams; seems to have happened quite a bit back in the good old days.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:51 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Fresca King

Didn't really expect to find anything so quick, but here is the Fresca King back you are missing. Be well. Howard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fresca King.jpg (56.1 KB, 821 views)
Old 12-03-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Didn't really expect to find anything so quick, but here is the Fresca King back you are missing. Be well. Howard
Great cap was beginning to think it wasn't real now for a king size sprite anyone?

sayhey24 that's an awesome poster never seen that one before either.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:07 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Saver sheets anyone?

Would love to see some scans of the saver sheets - would also love to purchase a pirates saver sheet.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:09 PM
Howard Chasser

Do you have dupes of any of these for sale or trade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschauer View Post
I've been trying to find the different backs of the coke caps and have come up with 26 different. Anyone have any different ones to add?

FullSize Pic here Coke Caps
Old 12-03-2009, 11:16 PM

Here are a couple of other ones.

Anyone have any Astros caps to sell or trade?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg back-tab-67philliesp2wine.jpg (8.8 KB, 826 views)
File Type: jpg back-tab-68twinsm16kaat.jpg (7.8 KB, 823 views)
Old 12-04-2009, 06:19 AM

Newest collection with added scans thanks everyone now up to 28 don't have any for sale just fyi.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Kirk View Post
Here are a couple of other ones.

Anyone have any Astros caps to sell or trade?
This guy lives 1/2 hour from me in Indiana and was at the national with a bunch of caps. I spent half an hour looking for Cardinals (LOL).

Home page of web site

http://www.columbiacitycollectibles.com/menu/index.htm

Link to page with Coke caps

http://www.columbiacitycollectibles....64-1967_1.html
Old 12-05-2009, 12:02 AM

Default The Elusive Sprite King Size Cap and Coke WV

Here's a couple more caps. This is a great thread, keep the fun pictures coming.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg back-spritekingsize-67NLAS-bunning.jpg (9.3 KB, 800 views)
File Type: jpg back-cokewv-67pirates-blass.jpg (11.2 KB, 801 views)
Old 12-05-2009, 12:19 AM

I just compared my backs closer to the ones pictured and found a couple more that I overlooked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg back-fresca-67twinsm12valdespino.jpg (6.6 KB, 802 views)
File Type: jpg back-tab-67twinsm14chance.jpg (8.2 KB, 802 views)
Old 12-05-2009, 01:16 AM

Default Cardinals Caps

As to the Cardinals caps, I think Busch was the reason as others have stated. The caps were licensed by the players association only and not by the teams, that's why the team logos are not on the hats. This promotion helped fund the players association when it was getting started. Marvin Miller talks about the promotion in his book. The owners tried to torpedo the Coke promotion before it ever got started by not allowing logos on the caps, but Coke reluctantly agreed to do the caps without logos. Bowie Kuhn was the owners' lawyer who tried to torpedo the promotion.

Since the teams were not involved and it was only through the players, it seems like Busch wouldn't have a say in whether the Cardinal players were in the set. But I think the Cardinal players probably had something in their player contracts that they were not allowed to endorse other drink companies.

I once sent letters to Marvin Miller and Tim McCarver to see if they knew why the Cardinals were not in the set, but I never got a reply from either.

Another question is why the Dodger players do have logos on their caps, I have no idea about the answer to that.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:05 AM
Randy Trierweiler

Troy, (and Dave Hornish), thanks for the info and research. I think you are both correct. I was quick to dismiss Augie Busch just because he is so associated with beer. Didn't know about them selling soft drinks back then too. Randy
Old 12-19-2009, 05:13 PM
Howard Chasser

Just wanted to put the thread back on top. Anyone else with any more to contribute? Happy Holidays.

-Howard
Old 12-20-2009, 12:32 PM
Bobw

Did a quick newspaper search and found this full page advertisement in newspapers in April and May of 1967. In regional newspapers ones I found were:

Indians -Max Alvis and the Indians...
Senators - Paul Casanova and the Senators...
Tigers - Al Kaline and the Tigers....
Reds - Pete Rose and the Reds....
Braves - Joe Torre and the Braves....

Old 12-20-2009, 05:30 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Thanks

Pretty cool. Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-22-2009, 06:22 AM

Here's the latest compilation of caps I'm assuming there are small letter fanta grape and root beer out there but that is unconfirmed and just an educated guess.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:25 PM
Howard Chasser

Default king size tab

Steven,

I am 90% certain there is a king size tab. May want to put in a blank spot for it?
Old 12-29-2009, 02:23 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Kosher Tab

Let's add a Kosher Tab to the list! This is really fun! Let's see how many variations we can find by 2011!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kosher Tab.jpg (23.7 KB, 767 views)
Old 12-30-2009, 09:32 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

This is OT but in researching some Scanlens issues, I found out that from 1963-65 Coke issued bottle caps in Australia with footballers featured on them. So before baseball in the US, they had already had a successful campaign elsewhere.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:55 PM

Default Fanta

I'm not so sure that small letter Fanta Grape and Root Beer exist. I've only seen Fanta caps with Giants, Tigers, and All-Stars. The small letter variety Orange I've only seen with the Tigers. I have some Tiger Grape caps and they are the big letter variety. I don't have any Tiger Root Beer caps, so can't say one way or the other on those, or if there even are any.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:05 AM

Redid the scan getting bigger and bigger lined up the columns to reflect the same style I assume there is a Sprite Kosher, and WV Fresca and Sprite out there to track down but will leave them blank for now. And until the small letter grape and Root Beer are proved real I removed them.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:28 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Excellent post on these at the Fleer Stickers blog:

http://fleersticker.blogspot.com/201...1967-coke.html
Old 02-13-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschauer View Post
Redid the scan getting bigger and bigger lined up the columns to reflect the same style I assume there is a Sprite Kosher, and WV Fresca and Sprite out there to track down but will leave them blank for now. And until the small letter grape and Root Beer are proved real I removed them.

Here is a picture of the Tab King Size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KGrHqZk4E8m2ye7FYBPMy6FtLg60_12.JPG (48.8 KB, 805 views)

Last edited by Cliff Bowman; 02-13-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:25 AM
M@rk Comer

WOW...I'd love to have the ad poster for the Coke caps; have never seen one before.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:07 AM
Howard Chasser

Default a long needed bump

I love this thread and wanted to get it some long needed new exposure - anyone have anything to add? Anyone have back variations they would consider selling?
Old 09-23-2014, 11:51 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

I would like to know if anyone knows which teams were issued which caps?
Old 09-24-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4reals View Post
The Cubs (and I'm sure the White Sox) were issued only in 1967 and were available in Coke, King Size Coke, Fresca, King Size Sprite, and Tab. Some teams were made in 1968 and were even available in Fanta caps.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:15 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4reals View Post
To clarify my earlier question, I am only aware of Coke, Tab, and Fresca caps available for the Dodgers. Can anyone confirm any Dodgers Sprite caps?

I am looking for the following Fresca caps: L5, L12, L16, L17

Last edited by 4reals; 09-12-2015 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:55 AM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

I have an opportunity to purchase some Dodgers caps with an "F" prefix to the number. Anyone know what distinguishes the F from the L found on most Dodgers caps? Are they more scarce? Don't see anything mention the F caps in SCD.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:00 AM

I believe the F Dodgers were issued in the Fresno area, they are harder to find than L or D Dodgers. If you get extras, I would be interested in buying or trading for those that I need. Giants can also be found with F, that Fresno set was a combined Dodger-Giants set, no all-stars, since Fresno was between Giant and Dodger country.

I believe the D Dodgers were issued in New Mexico, maybe Arizona too, not sure about that. They are pretty hard to find in their used state. There seems to have been a find of unused Tab caps from the D Dodgers a while ago, those don't seem to be too hard to find. Coke and Fresca can also be found with D caps, not sure about Sprite or others.

L Dodgers are the common Dodgers caps, from the LA area.

Last edited by Troy Kirk; 08-25-2015 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:41 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Thanks for the info Troy, still haven't solidified the deal yet, unfortunately there aren't any duplicates though.

Was also told that there are caps with a "U" prefix, coming from the New York area, possibly from a University?
Old 08-26-2015, 11:27 PM

U Yankees are upstate New York area Yankee caps. That set was Yankees and American League All-Stars, the New York City caps were Yankees and Mets.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:02 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Default "F" Caps

Here are the "F" caps I was able to secure. The seller has some SF Giants "F" caps that I wasn't interested in as a Dodgers collector. They are cap numbers F28,F30,F32, and F35. If anyone is interested in obtaining some of those "F" Giants caps let me know and I will pass on his contact info.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DodgersF.jpg (71.6 KB, 555 views)
File Type: jpg DodgersFbacks.jpg (73.2 KB, 554 views)

Last edited by 4reals; 08-31-2015 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:09 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Here's a couple more caps to add to the "cap map" courtesy of Mike, a fellow cap collector in Michigan. The Tab "white cap" is similar to the other except the baseball location moves from the top to the left. The other is a Fanta Root Beer cap with a Tiger on the flip side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG3506.jpg (76.6 KB, 550 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG3509.jpg (85.0 KB, 540 views)
Old 12-22-2019, 02:00 PM
Howard Chasser

Default 5 year bump!

So I have decided to try to piece together a comprehensive checklist (broken down by team- player - cap and bottling plant ) which I will be happy to share when "completed" (or till information received slows to a halt). I am going to reach out to Steven and Troy and hopefully get their assistance. Once I am well underway, I will reach back out here and ask for input to fill in holes. Stay tuned.
Old 12-22-2019, 05:50 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
So I have decided to try to piece together a comprehensive checklist (broken down by team- player - cap and bottling plant ) which I will be happy to share when "completed" (or till information received slows to a halt). I am going to reach out to Steven and Troy and hopefully get their assistance. Once I am well underway, I will reach back out here and ask for input to fill in holes. Stay tuned.
Sounds like a lengthy project, but a good one. While I haven’t really actively searched for Brooks Robinson bottle caps, I’d sure enjoy knowing what’s out there.
Old 12-22-2019, 06:04 PM
Albert Bee

Default Coke caps

Love those old coke caps...remember them well

also Fresca and Tab were awful soda !
Old 12-22-2019, 08:59 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Awful Soda......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBB View Post
Love those old coke caps...remember them well

also Fresca and Tab were awful soda !
Makes for hard to find caps!!
Old 12-22-2019, 09:26 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
I have a decent collection of the 67 Boston caps, and can give you a decent idea of what bottling plants there were as I collect them by the bottling plant.

On the plus side depending on how you look at it, I don't think I've ever seen a Boston cap that wasn't just a regular coke cap.

One oddity. The 67s have a modern plastic liner, while the 68s have cork. Why they took that step back I can't say.
Old 12-23-2019, 04:44 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Thanks Steve

I'll be in touch soon. I heard back from and am working with Troy to get a master player checklist in excel - should be ready to roll in the next day or two - then the fun begins with the different flavor sodas and bottling plants. Anyone else have these that would be willing to either email or speak on the phone to update a master checklist? Respond here or PM me.
Old 12-24-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I have a decent collection of the 67 Boston caps, and can give you a decent idea of what bottling plants there were as I collect them by the bottling plant.

On the plus side depending on how you look at it, I don't think I've ever seen a Boston cap that wasn't just a regular coke cap.

One oddity. The 67s have a modern plastic liner, while the 68s have cork. Why they took that step back I can't say.
1968 Red Sox do come with plastic also. I have several dupes of 1967 Red Sox in Fresca, Tab & Sprite.