NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-27-2014, 06:33 AM
Steven H.

Default My First Week on Net54

As I closed out my first week as a member of Net54 yesterday I found myself making realizations about my collecting knowledge. Being able to look at a card from the 50's of 60's I was always able to tell someone the year and set plus list off the big hitters. As I got older and history became a huge part of my life, moving beyond the 50's to the 19th century and early 20th century cards has become very interesting to me. What research I had done prior to joining Net54 had me breaking the bank and I didn't even know it.

The members of this group are very knowledgeable about the pre-war era cards. Every thread I read I learn a little more about the hobby and the cards scattered throughout the country. The collections I have been able to see are second to none. The images of cards I've never known to existed give me only a small glimpse into what I will get to experience as I grow in the hobby. I only hope to find that one card another member has never put eyes on before.

As I start to build my collection I look forward to the pointers members can give me even if it is indirect. I've given myself a budget and my first set and type collection to attack, the 1934 Goudey in SGC 60 (5) or higher and my pick for the 100 Greats. I picked up my first 1934 Goudey card from a Net54 member and it arrived this weekend (thanks Brian, the card is awesome) and was able to get one of my 100 Greats from Baggers Auctions.

My wife is a collector too, only modern cards though. She is keeping up with the current game while I am teaching her about the game of the past. This is going to be a bad combination for the bank account, but, as bad as it sounds, its the most fun we have had together since we've been married (coming up on 4 years). We are also building our first website together, bailencards.com, to show off our collections. It should be fully populated by the end of the week.

Anyways, I just wanted to thank the members of Net54 for passing their knowledge to collectors like me. You may not always know you are making an impact, but you are.

Thanks,

Steven
Pre-1950 Cuban Cards: Focus on Billiken, Macionales, & Aguilitas
Old 01-27-2014, 06:57 AM

Default Welcome

Hey welcome aboard. As for advice, I would keep copies of the key articles that interest you in either a Word doc (and a link to the original article) or similar form.

There are some incredibly knowledgeable guys here. I've had to re-read articles several times as my knowledge base expands to understand what they are referring to....

Have fun and enjoy the ride!

Z Wheat
Old 01-27-2014, 07:01 AM
Ad@m Be11

Good luck on those Goudeys. It's a beautiful set.
E106: 4/48
E210-1: Completed December 2013
R319: 43/240
Old 01-27-2014, 07:25 AM

Default Welcome

Steven, Welcome aboard and to your wife too! It sounds like you both have a great attitude and appreciation of collecting! You should perfectly fit right in! I love your avatar! Best wishes on your collection and overall, board members are always willing to chime in on questions that anyone-whether new or veteran to the board- might have. We all love collecting!
Take Care,
Tim Kindler
Old 01-27-2014, 07:40 AM
Derek Granger

Welcome aboard!! I read the "wife collecting cards" piece to my wife. She said, "that's sweet". I don't think I'll be able to get her into it, no matter how hard I try.

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 01-27-2014, 09:16 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Steve, welcome aboard! You should talk to Rob D -- he's also from the Columbus area and loves to talk baseball cards.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:08 AM

Tenga buen dia muchacho
Old 01-27-2014, 11:08 AM
Barry Arnold

Default steven

welcome aboard!!!

and hi frank, ole buddy or should I say recuerdos a todos

best,
barry
Old 01-27-2014, 03:53 PM

Default Welcome....

Great story! Gotta love a girl who collects any baseball cards....

try on a T206.....but be careful....they are addicting

Peace

Johnny
Old 01-27-2014, 04:03 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

hey steve, good luck on your new venture!
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:35 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by shernan30 View Post

My wife is a collector too, only modern cards though. She is keeping up with the current game while I am teaching her about the game of the past.
Steven,

Welcome to Net54. I hope your experience here will be as positive as mine has been...and please feel free to reach out at any time with whatever questions you may have. I would be more than happy to answer them or direct you to one of the many knowledgeable members here who can.

Speaking on behalf of a minority of the members here, I can tell you that my wife also collects baseball cards. However, it was her interest in the Pre-War game that got me truly fired up about cards from that era.

She had always been a baseball fan. Shortly after we met, she realized that I was a hopeless cardboard junkie. Since I was completely ignorant regarding anything before Babe Ruth, she took it upon herself to read up on the Deadball Era and everything preceding it.

Had it not been for her interest in the game, I would probably not have read, "Glory of Their Times," "Crazy '08," and the random back issues of publications from SABR, such as, "The National Pastime" and, "The Baseball Research Journal."

Hell, if not for my wife, I truly would never have known who Ross Barnes was...nor would I have any idea about the art of fair-foul hitting.

Having a wife who is actively involved in your collecting is truly a gift. I hope you appreciate it (and her) as much as I do (and as much as I appreciate my wife.)

Best regards,

Eric

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 01-27-2014, 06:40 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvster View Post

Gotta love a girl who collects any baseball cards....

try on a T206
Johnny,

I agree...and my wife carefully inspects them. She thinks WST T206 cards are cool...definitely a keeper!

Best regards,

Eric

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 01-27-2014, 07:31 PM

Default Wow!

Eric! you struck gold with her.....DUDE

don't ever leave that one
Old 01-27-2014, 07:59 PM
Mark Hooks

Welcome Steven. Net54 is an invaluable site for pre-war cards and misc. Great collectors on here who will share their vast array of knowledge with you.

The 34 Goudey set is one of my favorites. Good luck with building it.

Mark
Old 01-28-2014, 07:57 AM
nels0n aud.et

Welcome Steven.
I am also a Goudey collector. The 1934 Goudey is a great choice... Good luck in your project.