NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 09-19-2024, 08:25 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default Ohtani: Do you remember

Do you remember when certain board members would post that Ohtani
hype was all hot air based on some kind of misplaced “woke” or “politically correct” silliness. Yep, I do. Was just a lot of soft libs going out of their way to build up the foreigner guy. Those commie pinkos!!
Old 09-19-2024, 08:41 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2024-09-19 at 7.40.37 PM.jpg (33.7 KB, 180 views)
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 09-19-2024, 09:19 PM
Shane

I was blasted on reddit in like 2017 for saying Ohtani was going to be the best player on the planet. Need to go back there and find those threads and serve em a big cup of toldyaso!
Old 09-19-2024, 10:47 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Do you remember when members wouldn't buy Ty Cobb cards because he was "racist"? I do.

Racism is dumb whether it comes from the right or the left.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 09-19-2024, 11:19 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I have no memory of such a thread at all. Where's the link?
Old 09-20-2024, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Do you remember when certain board members would post that Ohtani hype was all hot air based on some kind of misplaced “woke” or “politically correct” silliness. Yep, I do. Was just a lot of soft libs going out of their way to build up the foreigner guy. Those commie pinkos!!
Can you PLEASE link some of these threads that you keep bringing up about this? ETA: I learned something new today, self-deception.

Last edited by Cliff Bowman; 09-20-2024 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 09-20-2024, 07:14 PM
edward

Looks like he upset the snowflake right wingers.
Old 09-20-2024, 07:54 PM
Peter Spaeth

Jeez. He just achieved a stratospheric milestone. Why the contentious thread?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-20-2024 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-20-2024, 08:29 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

So where’s the link? Why can’t anyone identify where this happened? Surely this isn’t made up political bullshit hijacking a great performance to twist into their agenda, so it should be simple to show.
Old 09-20-2024, 08:56 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by etsmith View Post
Looks like he upset the snowflake right wingers.
You support these race baiting/politic bating type of posts?

Ohtani is having a historic season and is great for baseball, as a Giants fan I'm a little bitter he's a Dodger but that's baseball and he should be celebrated for his accomplishments.

OP's weak attempt at a gotcha/outrage post is what should be called out here no matter what your politics are, shouldn't be room for it on this sub.

-
Old 09-20-2024, 09:04 PM
Chase

Someone seems to be super angry at the world these days. More than someone just pissing in his Cheerios too.
Old 09-20-2024, 09:09 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default Glc

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 459846960_967488148514796_3370971934415309596_n.jpg (112.4 KB, 123 views)
Old 09-20-2024, 09:11 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post

Ohtani is having a historic season and is great for baseball, as a Giants fan I'm a little bitter he's a Dodger but that's baseball and he should be celebrated for his accomplishments.

OP's weak attempt at a gotcha/outrage post is what should be called out here no matter what your politics are, shouldn't be room for it on this sub.
Agreed. It's gratuitous.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-20-2024, 10:24 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:

I mean, if the claim is true, the post is fine. If people really did say such things, it's fair to throw the truth and Ohtani's wonderful season in their face a bit.

I eagerly away our leftist race pushers providing the receipts, as this is such an easy thing to prove on a forum with a public transcript and working search feature. Any minute now they will show it did actually happen and that this is a fair and honest account. I'm sure. They wouldn't make shit up like disgusting liars.
Old 09-20-2024, 10:39 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

I find it fascinating that white liberal elites have the same attitude towards the GOP candidate that Southern whites had towards Martin Luther King. The parties have definitely switched IMHO.

-
Old 09-20-2024, 10:46 PM

I have searched for these despicable comments made by a couple of uneducated science denying hayseed rube hick members to no avail, maybe someone else can find them and get them banned as they justly deserve.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=352423
https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=349551
https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=347560
https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=337644
Old 09-20-2024, 10:49 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I find it fascinating that white liberal elites have the same attitude towards the GOP candidate that Southern whites had towards Martin Luther King. The parties have definitely switched IMHO.
Didn't you just advocate leaving this stuff off the forum? Why go there? And what does it have to do with Ohtani?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-20-2024 at 10:52 PM.
Old 09-20-2024, 10:57 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
I have searched for these despicable comments made by a couple of uneducated science denying hayseed rube hick members to no avail, maybe someone else can find them and get them banned as they justly deserve.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=352423
https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=349551
https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=347560
https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=337644
A shame, I am excited to join them in condemning these white supremacists that nobody seems to be able to find for me to condemn.

This would be a really stupid thing to lie about, considering that everything said here is on a transcript record. I know our justice advocates really, really, really want there to be lots and lots of racism for them to virtue signal over and speak on behalf of all the non-white races, but surely they wouldn't just completely and transparently lie about it. It has to be here somewhere! Multiple board members said this, they say. It has to be true. There political agenda can not be such a crock of shit that they have to resort to lies to shove it into the board this week.
Old 09-21-2024, 06:08 AM
Tony Baldwin

I get sick of these type posts. Left, Right, Up, Down; who cares! Talk baseball and baseball cards. That's what we all have in common and enjoy doing!
Old 09-21-2024, 08:50 AM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

I’d rather be punched in the face than listen to idiots attempt to discuss politics

Last edited by Beercan collector; 09-21-2024 at 08:50 AM.
Old 09-21-2024, 08:58 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beercan collector View Post
I’d rather be punched in the face than listen to idiots attempt to discuss politics
I couldn't agree more.

Here is the best anti talking political joke ever from one of my favorite comedians. NSFW https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBI3WDOeiLA
Old 09-21-2024, 09:34 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Honestly I have been one of the fanboys since he was in Japan and was over the moon about him coming to MLB. Disappointed he wasn’t on my team, but definitely bought his cards.

I remember numerous discussions about the difficulty he would have facing injuries as a dual player, discussion about how his career may never recover after each injury and the normal overpaid for a dh yammering. All the normal pessimism I would expect in a thread basically about any player (except Judge, who is Jeter 2.0 on the he can do no wrong scale, lol).

However, I never once ever, even as the Ohtani defender…remember someone stating he was overhyped based on his race or “wokeness”. That’s new to me too. I’d like to see that thread as well.

I have been so happy to see quite literally my favorite current player do something that no one in history has done prior. It’s a shame to have it flipped into something to distract from that.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 09-21-2024, 09:43 AM
Peter Spaeth

At 52/52 with 8 games left, he has an outside shot at 55/55. Ans since we need a card, I believe this is his first ever issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ohtani13.jpg (182.2 KB, 87 views)

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-21-2024 at 09:45 AM.
Old 09-21-2024, 09:45 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Baseball > politics. Especially on Net54
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry

Last edited by BobbyStrawberry; 09-21-2024 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
Baseball > politics. Especially on Net54
Post #2 of this thread is this user sharing his politics and ignoring baseball.
Old 09-21-2024, 10:17 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Post #2 of this thread is this user sharing his politics and ignoring baseball.
That post is not "sharing my politics". It's a joke about how these days anything someone doesn't like can be called "woke". If it's not funny to you, that's fine but don't call it something it's not. You just seem to be angry and worked up all the time about nothing
Old 09-21-2024, 10:19 AM
Dave

Quote:

I'm really trying to stay out of this thread...and topics like this in general....but......C'mon Man! That's a pretty hilarious take. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and chalk it up as an ironic post and move on with my life now.

Thanks for the chuckle.
So what is it good for?
Old 09-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Ben North

Quote:
That post is not "sharing my politics". It's a joke about how these days anything someone doesn't like can be called "woke". If it's not funny to you, that's fine but don't call it something it's not. You just seem to be angry and worked up all the time about nothing
I found it hilarious.
Old 09-21-2024, 10:26 AM
Dave

Quote:

For what it's worth....and to be fair, I'm just a white liberal elitist who sells $5 cards on Ebay and bitches about my health care deductibles every time I go to a doctor...I thought it was hilarious.

It's become the most over-used, poorly used and abused, and least funny word in the English language these last few years. A crutch to get people foaming at the mouth over literally nothing, you could say.

Ah man.....I wish I could have stayed out of this.
So what is it good for?

Last edited by D. Bergin; 09-21-2024 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-21-2024, 10:28 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
It's pretty obviously your political perspective (and piggybacking on the subject of this thread that is a fantasy lie), which you share in these threads all the time. If you think politics shouldn't be here, then don't put it here yourself. It's pretty strange hypocrisy to try and have it both ways. Do you feel conservative political memes are not political because they are also jokes?

I must concede negative posting when people tell complete, absolute lies. Not a fan of lying.
Old 09-21-2024, 10:38 AM
Dave

Back on topic.

Dudes at 52/52 now. Also I just noticed, he's only been caught stealing 4 times. That's incredible efficiency.

I'll be the first to admit, I've been skeptical of certain aspects of his game and health more times then I can count over the years.

Don't mind I've been proven wrong over and over.

Certainly running away with the MVP in the NL, even as a DH, and might have even contended in the AL against Judge and Witt with what he's doing. 3 real amazing offensive seasons going on at once.
So what is it good for?
Old 09-21-2024, 11:48 AM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
At 52/52 with 8 games left, he has an outside shot at 55/55. Ans since we need a card, I believe this is his first ever issue.
That could be properly characterized as an outside shot. With what he’s done it’s also an outside shot that he gets to 55/55 tonight.
Old 09-21-2024, 11:54 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Back on topic.

Dudes at 52/52 now. Also I just noticed, he's only been caught stealing 4 times. That's incredible efficiency.

I'll be the first to admit, I've been skeptical of certain aspects of his game and health more times then I can count over the years.

Don't mind I've been proven wrong over and over.

Certainly running away with the MVP in the NL, even as a DH, and might have even contended in the AL against Judge and Witt with what he's doing. 3 real amazing offensive seasons going on at once.
It's baseball. For every Ohtani who sustains and even improves on his early excellence, there's another guy -- probably more than one -- who comes out of the gate headed straight for immortality, then implodes. We've listed these names many times. And sorry, but no, you can't tell the difference until it actually happens. All the countless dollars lost on rookie card speculating attests to that.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-21-2024 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-21-2024, 12:11 PM
Tony Baldwin

Quote:
It's baseball. For every Ohtani who sustains and even improves on his early excellence, there's another guy -- probably more than one -- who comes out of the gate headed straight for immortality, then implodes. We've listed these names many times. And sorry, but no, you can't tell the difference until it actually happens. All the countless dollars lost on rookie card speculating attests to that.
So true. I’’m one of those many who lost countless of dollars too.
Old 09-21-2024, 01:36 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Back on topic.

Since I was a kid, I've always considered Babe Ruth the greatest baseball player because he was the best hitter and, in his day, the best left-handed pitcher. His won-lost record was 94-46, a .671 percentage. Granted, he was on a team that won 3 World Series from 1915-1918, but still, pretty impressive.

So here's Ohtani, who's average is far below Ruth's, but his power numbers, if he plays as long as the Babe did, may end up similar. Ohtani's pitching record is 38-19, a .667 percentage, entirely with the lowly Angels.

And, this year, so far, 52 steals and been caught just 4 times. In his career, Ruth had more caught stealing than steals.

Imagine Babe Ruth. A pitcher with a 2-1 win/loss ratio, who is also a huge power hitter. Now suppose he could also steal 50+ bases with a 90% efficiency.

Ohtani has a long way tyo go to be in Babe Ruth's league in terms of career accomplishments but will there ever be a baseball player with such an impressive 3-way skill set:

Hitting: Huge impact hitter with at least one 50+ HR season
Pitching: First-rate pitcher, with a .667 winning % for a poor team
Running: Incredible base stealer, both in terms of volume (50+ in a season) and efficiency.

I'd love to see the guy playing shortstop or center field, just to show he can quite literally do everything.
Old 09-21-2024, 02:15 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
Since I was a kid, I've always considered Babe Ruth the greatest baseball player because he was the best hitter and, in his day, the best left-handed pitcher. His won-lost record was 94-46, a .671 percentage. Granted, he was on a team that won 3 World Series from 1915-1918, but still, pretty impressive.

So here's Ohtani, who's average is far below Ruth's, but his power numbers, if he plays as long as the Babe did, may end up similar. Ohtani's pitching record is 38-19, a .667 percentage, entirely with the lowly Angels.

And, this year, so far, 52 steals and been caught just 4 times. In his career, Ruth had more caught stealing than steals.

Imagine Babe Ruth. A pitcher with a 2-1 win/loss ratio, who is also a huge power hitter. Now suppose he could also steal 50+ bases with a 90% efficiency.

Ohtani has a long way tyo go to be in Babe Ruth's league in terms of career accomplishments but will there ever be a baseball player with such an impressive 3-way skill set:

Hitting: Huge impact hitter with at least one 50+ HR season
Pitching: First-rate pitcher, with a .667 winning % for a poor team
Running: Incredible base stealer, both in terms of volume (50+ in a season) and efficiency.

I'd love to see the guy playing shortstop or center field, just to show he can quite literally do everything.
According to baseball-reference.com, Ruth had 123 stolen bases and 116 caught stealing so not quite caught more than successful. Before this season, Ohtani was at 86 steals and 33 caught so still better than Ruth but nothing like what he's doing this year. It will be interesting to see what his stats are for steals next season if he's pitching again. I would expect the steals to go down to around what he has done before this year to help him conserve energy for the mound.
Old 09-21-2024, 02:44 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
According to baseball-reference.com, Ruth had 123 stolen bases and 116 caught stealing so not quite caught more than successful. Before this season, Ohtani was at 86 steals and 33 caught so still better than Ruth but nothing like what he's doing this year. It will be interesting to see what his stats are for steals next season if he's pitching again. I would expect the steals to go down to around what he has done before this year to help him conserve energy for the mound.
With a season like this the Dodgers would be insane IMO to let him pitch and risk another major injury. Go out and buy a #2/3 starter which is basically, if you look at all the stats, what Ohtani is. Way too risky with an elite bat like his.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-21-2024 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-21-2024, 02:47 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
I agree. No telling what his numbers will end up, but my point is, Ohtani has incredible athletic ability to hit, pitch, and run, which is a combination never before seen. It's like if Mays could also go 16-8 as a pitcher.
Old 09-21-2024, 02:50 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
With a season like this the Dodgers would be insane IMO to let him pitch and risk another major injury. Go out and buy a #2/3 starter which is basically, if you look at all the stats, what Ohtani is. Way too risky with an elite bat like his.
He is 100% going to pitch again. Roberts said there's chance he might even do it in the playoffs this year.
Old 09-21-2024, 03:10 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
He is 100% going to pitch again. Roberts said there's chance he might even do it in the playoffs this year.
He hasn't pitched in a year. He isn't going to pitch in the playoffs. If he does, it's incredibly stupid and a gimmick. He's an elite hitter, the best in the NL. Why would you want him to pitch at all or ever again when you're the wealthiest team in the league and can buy whoever you need?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-21-2024 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-21-2024, 03:23 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
He hasn't pitched in a year. He isn't going to pitch in the playoffs. If he does, it's incredibly stupid and a gimmick. He's an elite hitter, the best in the NL. Why would you want him to pitch at all or ever again when you're the wealthiest team in the league and can buy whoever you need?
I get your point and I can't really disagree with your logic, but as I understand it Ohtani wants to pitch and they're going to let him. I guess you could compare it to the Angels letting Trout continue to play CF even though it would be smarter to move him to a corner
Old 09-21-2024, 03:39 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I get your point and I can't really disagree with your logic, but as I understand it Ohtani wants to pitch and they're going to let him. I guess you could compare it to the Angels letting Trout continue to play CF even though it would be smarter to move him to a corner
For the 70 million a year or whatever they are paying him, it isn't up to him to dictate.

Old 09-21-2024, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Yes, and these particular cards seem to be moving right now...
Old 09-21-2024, 06:41 PM

Quote:
For the 70 million a year or whatever they are paying him, it isn't up to him to dictate.
Call me a cynic, but I think they will let him pitch so long as his performance continues the marketing bonanza for the Dodgers. The $700 million (future value) contract is looking like a great investment for the Dodgers. I don't think you get the same amount of buzz if you turn Ohtani into a right fielder and sign, say, Roki Sasaki!

With respect to Ohtani playing in the field, he has experience as an outfielder in Japan, and he has taken reps in the outfield with the Angels prior to the Ohtani rule coming into effect. More relevantly, I find it hard to see how someone that fast, strong and athletic -- with such documented commitment and work ethic (in contrast to, say, a CJ Abrams) -- not becoming at least a league-average corner outfielder over an off-season of targeted work.
Old 09-21-2024, 07:04 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk400 View Post
Call me a cynic, but I think they will let him pitch so long as his performance continues the marketing bonanza for the Dodgers. The $700 million (future value) contract is looking like a great investment for the Dodgers. I don't think you get the same amount of buzz if you turn Ohtani into a right fielder and sign, say, Roki Sasaki!

With respect to Ohtani playing in the field, he has experience as an outfielder in Japan, and he has taken reps in the outfield with the Angels prior to the Ohtani rule coming into effect. More relevantly, I find it hard to see how someone that fast, strong and athletic -- with such documented commitment and work ethic (in contrast to, say, a CJ Abrams) -- not becoming at least a league-average corner outfielder over an off-season of targeted work.
Yes, it's impossible that he couldn't at minimum be an average left fielder.

To Peter's point though, if they don't want to let him pitch because of injury risk, they certainly wouldn't let him play left or right field. He gives solid production on the mound, but little value in the outfield.
Old 09-21-2024, 07:26 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Default Hey! Everyone...

Sgt. Hulka said it best:

'RELAX FRANCIS'

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 09-21-2024 at 07:26 PM.