NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-03-2021, 05:33 PM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Default Clever marketing (my vote), total BS (or what’s the difference?)

Wondering if experienced members have ever analyzed PWCC’s use of “PWCC Certified, top xx% eye appeal”

Like this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-Topps-....m46890.l49292

I wonder how much extra attention and $$ this generates for them.... I actually think it’s pretty clever as long as they don’t pull that card (excuse the pun) too frequently.

It does get my attention a little more on a card that has their recognizable symbol. I know PWCC is not a board fave (not with me as small time collector, either)

But I have to say that their marketing tricks and some business models are pretty effective. Had anyone ever studied their use of this extra “kicker?”

Thx for weighing in... curious to hear your opinions and experiences

Jeff
Old 01-03-2021, 05:43 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

It was studied last year, and it was found that it was mainly on cards that Brent's buddies purchased to trim to improve the centering/eye appeal, sent back to PSA for a number grade, and fenced through PWCC again. Probably half of the stickers for eye appeal were outed to be altered. It was practically a flashlight shining on them.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 01-03-2021, 05:47 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

I trust my own eyes and feeling for the card. I choose eye appeal over grading every time and I don't have a need for pwcc to tell me what I should think.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 01-03-2021, 05:47 PM

Hard to prove, but looking at final prices over a number of years I would say that PWCC's "top x% eye appeal" marketing exacts a substantial premium above would be realized just from looking at the scans. Not saying whether this is good or bad. It just is.

Last edited by sreader3; 01-03-2021 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-03-2021, 06:01 PM
Jim T.
Ji.m Tar.olli

As soon as I see "PWCC" I'm out, won't even consider it. Honestly, I'm surprised any knowledgeable collector would consider purchasing from them.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2021, 09:18 PM
Doug Goodman

They should put the slab in a slab, that would make the most sense.

Doug "insert smiley face here" Goodman
Old 01-04-2021, 03:46 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfast1933 View Post
Wondering if experienced members have ever analyzed PWCC’s use of “PWCC Certified, top xx% eye appeal”

Like this one:

Jeff

So if this Clemente was sitting in a PSA 7 holder without the PWCC Sticker - Would you question the grade?
Old 01-04-2021, 04:10 AM
Se@n Kel.ly

Whether you love them or hate them, I think PWCC has identified and exploited a flaw in the grading system. We all know that not all PSA (or SGC, etc.) 4s are the same. I have owned PSA 2.5s that are objectively nicer in hand than many PSA 6s. Eye appeal matters a lot in evaluating a card, and visually appealing cards for a given grade should sell at a premium. I think PWCC's eye appeal system is brilliant marketing.

All that having been said, my opinion of eye appeal is well centered cards without creases. I don't care about corners and edges. For other collectors, good corners and edges are the number one factor in evaluating eye appeal, and creasing/centering don't matter. I don't know how PWCC can consistently designate a card as having strong eye appeal for something that is such a personal opinion. I also wouldn't put it past them to have ulterior motives in designating certain cards as having strong eye appeal.
Old 01-04-2021, 08:30 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
It was studied last year, and it was found that it was mainly on cards that Brent's buddies purchased to trim to improve the centering/eye appeal, sent back to PSA for a number grade, and fenced through PWCC again. Probably half of the stickers for eye appeal were outed to be altered. It was practically a flashlight shining on them.
Nobody but maybe 5 people care about PSA or PWCC being allegedly corrupt. All that matters is the $ signs. I was on the same same side as you for a few decades. Now after being harassed by many of the hobby icons for calling them out I just plain don't care. Let the scammers have the hobby and now I enjoy the small part I control(my buying habits).

Last edited by bnorth; 01-04-2021 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-04-2021, 09:59 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen View Post
So if this Clemente was sitting in a PSA 7 holder without the PWCC Sticker - Would you question the grade?
Yes, because I believe it's trimmed.
Old 01-04-2021, 10:39 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Any Updates on the 2019 FBI Subpoenas that we’re served at the 2019 National In Chicago ?

Last edited by Johnny630; 01-04-2021 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-04-2021, 01:40 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelly423 View Post
Whether you love them or hate them, I think PWCC has identified and exploited a flaw in the grading system. We all know that not all PSA (or SGC, etc.) 4s are the same. I have owned PSA 2.5s that are objectively nicer in hand than many PSA 6s. Eye appeal matters a lot in evaluating a card, and visually appealing cards for a given grade should sell at a premium. I think PWCC's eye appeal system is brilliant marketing.

All that having been said, my opinion of eye appeal is well centered cards without creases. I don't care about corners and edges. For other collectors, good corners and edges are the number one factor in evaluating eye appeal, and creasing/centering don't matter. I don't know how PWCC can consistently designate a card as having strong eye appeal for something that is such a personal opinion. I also wouldn't put it past them to have ulterior motives in designating certain cards as having strong eye appeal.
PWCC's fraudulent eye appeal stickering system means nothing... other than the card is very likely altered/trimmed. See link below with a recent example... just one of hundreds that have been exposed. God only knows how many more remain under the radar...

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1432452

Anyone who's not familiar with this, please do your homework and do not buy into their bullsh*t hype.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:25 AM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

So.... just to put a bow tie on my original question, apparently the bidders have spoken and PWCC’s own kicker designation above and beyond the actual grade does make a TINY (!!!) difference here

To give context, PSA 6 Clemente’s have been selling in the last week from mid 600’s to mid 800’s, depending on the eye appeal of the card... and this one ended at over $1600!

I was blown away to wake up to see that this one (“superior, top 5%”) sold for an almost 100% premium over recent sales prices

(If anyone here is still watching this thread, would love to hear what “private listing” means for the bidders on this card. All bids are listed that way when you explore the bid details, at least on the app)

Crazy. I just don’t get it.