NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-01-2019, 07:59 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULLINS5 View Post
It is not in PWCC's best interest to deal with people who inspect their purchases.
I wonder how their investment advice thing is going.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:09 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Probably pretty good. This is on a few baseball card forums but what percentage of collectors are on forums or even know this is happening or even care.

I have friends from the 90's that are still very active in the hobby and had no idea that the Mastro thing happened.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:09 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
I would say it's hanging on by a thread.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:16 AM
Peter Spaeth

How many times do you think he has advised people to buy cards out of his auctions he knew were altered?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:18 AM
Ben North

Quote:
How many times do you think he has advised people to buy cards out of his auctions he knew were altered?
I have no idea but if you started counting out loud at 1 it might take some time to get to that number.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:19 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Just read some of the descriptions of the relisted cards with enhanced grades.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:20 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Just read some of the descriptions of the relisted cards with enhanced grades.
It's one level of disingenuousness to describe them that way; quite another to tell someone one on one to buy them.

Not far back someone here posted about a 52 Musial and as I recall mentioned how he reviewed all his purchases with Brent before bidding, I hope for that guy's sake he didn't get burned.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-01-2019 at 08:23 AM.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:23 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
It's one level of disingenuousness to describe them that way; quite another to tell someone one on one to buy them.
I think we agree to agree.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:35 AM
Joe D
Joe Do.oley

Was this one of the service the "Vault" provided? You could send your PSA 6 card and it would leave as a PSA 7 when it is resold. Select the Dr. Moser option when it is shipped there.

Maybe PSA should hire him as a consultant. He is certainly operating a much higher level than they are able to detect.

Last edited by jad22; 06-01-2019 at 08:36 AM.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:39 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

If he came clean and flipped on Brent/PWCC/PSA co-conspirators, if any, it's quite possible. "Catch me if you can...." situation.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:58 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad22 View Post
Maybe PSA should hire him as a consultant. He is certainly operating a much higher level than they are able to detect.
He's probably making more money than all PSA employees combined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
If he came clean and flipped on Brent/PWCC/PSA co-conspirators, if any, it's quite possible. "Catch me if you can...." situation.
If Brent really thought he was in any kind of trouble at all, don't you think he would flip on Gary first?

Quote:
It's funny that getting arrested and kicked out of the National is not enough to get Tony to stop selling crap autos.
Quoted you from another thread, but if a small hand slap is all these guys like Tony Podsada are getting, what's the real impact of getting caught? I guarantee things are still business as usual with Gary without a care of being caught.

This whole situation is like a snake. How do you kill a snake? You don't chop off its tail, you chop off the head. PWCC isn't the head. Gary or any other doctor isn't the head. PSA is the head. PSA is the key to making this work. As I've stated before, if PSA does their job correctly, none of these get graded and the card doctors are out of business.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:00 AM
je.sse @rnot

Someone should examine these altered cards to determine if the alteration left anything behind that is detectable. If it is, we as a hobby should force PSA to answer why they aren't using this detection method.

A measurement of the trimmed cards should suffice. If cards that don't measure have been graded, we also deserve an answer as to how that is happening.

I have no idea what percentage of the hobby is on blowout and here, but if everyone agreed not to submit until we get some answers it may force the issue.

I find it ironic how worked up some are in this thread and yet some of those commenting are putting together a PSA group submission on the main page of the site.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:05 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Someone should examine these altered cards to determine if the alteration left anything behind that is detectable. If it is, we as a hobby should force PSA to answer why they aren't using this detection method.

A measurement of the trimmed cards should suffice. If cards that don't measure have been graded, we also deserve an answer as to how that is happening.

I have no idea what percentage of the hobby is on blowout and here, but if everyone agreed not to submit until we get some answers it may force the issue.

I find it ironic how worked up some are in this thread and yet some of those commenting are putting together a PSA group submission on the main page of the site.
As I posted size is not always indicative, but yeah some of those cards posted on Blowout really do look short, especially some of the Look N' Sees.

Old 06-01-2019, 09:06 AM
pete ullman

I find it ironic how worked up some are in this thread and yet some of those commenting are putting together a PSA group submission on the main page of the site.[/QUOTE]

Right!!!! Wtf??? You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make them drink !
Old 06-01-2019, 09:10 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
As I posted size is not always indicative, but yeah some of those cards posted on Blowout really do look short, especially some of the Look N' Sees.
I do realize there are measurement irregularities of vintage cards from the factory. But it wouldn't hurt to measure the vintage cards. And for the modern cards it should be pretty clear. If cards were graded that didnt measure correctly an investigation should be started.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:10 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Working eyeballs.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:24 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I do realize there are measurement irregularities of vintage cards from the factory. But it wouldn't hurt to measure the vintage cards. And for the modern cards it should be pretty clear. If cards were graded that didnt measure correctly an investigation should be started.
I have personally seen numerous examples of cards in slabs that were noticeably short and not, IMO, "natural" shorts. There is no doubt IMO that they miss obvious trimming sometimes.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-01-2019 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:36 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Probably pretty good. This is on a few baseball card forums but what percentage of collectors are on forums or even know this is happening or even care.

I have friends from the 90's that are still very active in the hobby and had no idea that the Mastro thing happened.
^^^This^^^ I have a couple of friends who have absolutely zero knowledge of Net54, Blowout, Mastro, etc. When I see them and we discuss cards, I have brought all of this up. They look at me like I am exaggerating or speaking a foreign language. I am afraid most collectors are just like them...I was the same way before I found Net54 a few years ago...just quietly collecting cards and enjoying their collections without a care in the world.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2019, 09:38 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Canopy Growth Corp. Out of U.S. juristdiction
Old 06-01-2019, 10:09 AM
Tony S.ti.ns.a
Tony Stins.a

Default If everyone agreed to not submit until...

Quote:
S

If everyone agreed not to submit PSA could get caught up and back within their promise dates...
Old 06-01-2019, 10:14 AM
Tony S.ti.ns.a
Tony Stins.a

Default Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
^^^This^^^ I have a couple of friends who have absolutely zero knowledge of Net54, Blowout, Mastro, etc. When I see them and we discuss cards, I have brought all of this up. They look at me like I am exaggerating or speaking a foreign language. I am afraid most collectors are just like them...I was the same way before I found Net54 a few years ago...just quietly collecting cards and enjoying their collections without a care in the world.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
This story isn't a "Me Too" story like the ones in the news. But I agree with the poster above. I just spoke to two friends who are frequent and active buyers of 1940's and 1950's PSA cards for their several registry sets. While they are both extremely active in buying, neither had any idea this new scandal was going on, nor had they heard about the autograph scandal of a few weeks/months ago.

Tony
Old 06-01-2019, 10:19 AM
Tony S.ti.ns.a
Tony Stins.a

Default off topic but...

What do you think of the picture in this listing?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1949-BOWMAN...8AAOSw7Ppc1csS
Old 06-01-2019, 10:41 AM
Frank Bev.ilac.qua

Has anyone looked at the new round of T206s that PWCC listed on ebay? It appears that several of them have cert numbers that are very close to each other. My guess is that these cards are also doctored. Is PWCC really being this brazen to still sell doctored cards while they are being caught red handed?
Old 06-01-2019, 10:55 AM
Tony S.ti.ns.a
Tony Stins.a

Default Brazen

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrizzo29 View Post
Has anyone looked at the new round of T206s that PWCC listed on ebay? It appears that several of them have cert numbers that are very close to each other. My guess is that these cards are also doctored. Is PWCC really being this brazen to still sell doctored cards while they are being caught red handed?
Did you not watch Brent's one-hour + discussion on conservation?
Old 06-01-2019, 10:58 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram99 View Post
While they are both extremely active in buying, neither had any idea this new scandal was going on, nor had they heard about the autograph scandal of a few weeks/months ago.
Nothing that a front page article in the SMR or Forbes wouldn't help fix.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:04 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Nothing that a front page article in the SMR or Forbes wouldn't help fix.
Forbes lol yeah 100 times more likely another puff piece.

Old 06-01-2019, 11:16 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
The bogus PSA-approved cards just keep coming on BO.... Cobb, Marquard and Mantle now... with no apparent end in sight.

If FBI or Law Enforcement doesn't have enough to intervene with this plethora of indisputable evidence, then there's a huge double-standard. This is feeling way beyond what Mastro, Allen and Rogers did.

PWCC/PSA are to cards as Coach's Corner/Christopher Morales are to autographs. Actually they are worse, as the corrupt money pouring in is far greater.
Very good analogy
Old 06-01-2019, 11:26 AM
Tony S.ti.ns.a
Tony Stins.a

Default or..

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
The bogus PSA-approved cards just keep coming on BO.... Cobb, Marquard and Mantle now... with no apparent end in sight.

If FBI or Law Enforcement doesn't have enough to intervene with this plethora of indisputable evidence, then there's a huge double-standard. This is feeling way beyond what Mastro, Allen and Rogers did.

PWCC/PSA are to cards as Coach's Corner/Christopher Morales are to autographs. Actually they are worse, as the corrupt money pouring in is far greater.
Or what Charles Ponzi is to schemes
Old 06-01-2019, 11:35 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
I'm sure Forbes has at least one investigative journalist on staff. These articles basically write themselves.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:41 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I'm sure Forbes has at least one investigative journalist on staff. These articles basically write themselves.
Is the same publication that's been worshipping Brent going to trash him?

Old 06-01-2019, 11:52 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

If you don't ask for it, it will never happen.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:06 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Is the same publication that's been worshipping Brent going to trash him?
That attitude is exactly why nothing will ever come of this. Your focus (and many others too) is only on Brent when there are multiple parties involved. If you put as much equal focus on the other parties as you did on Brent, someone might actually take you serious.

My 4:1 offer still stands. Anybody got balls?
Old 06-01-2019, 12:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
That attitude is exactly why nothing will ever come of this. Your focus (and many others too) is only on Brent when there are multiple parties involved. If you put as much equal focus on the other parties as you did on Brent, someone might actually take you serious.

My 4:1 offer still stands. Anybody got balls?
I have said lots about PSA including today that I am starting to think SGC grades better. Am I willing to speculate that card doctors are paying graders, not yet, although I have acknowledged the possibility.

Old 06-01-2019, 12:10 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
If you don't ask for it, it will never happen.
Fair point.

Old 06-01-2019, 12:31 PM
Richard L.

Too bad PSA didn't offer pedigree service early on. "Moser doctoring collection" on the label....
Old 06-01-2019, 12:37 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsaddict View Post
Too bad PSA didn't offer pedigree service early on. "Moser doctoring collection" on the label....
A PWCC sticker may be the equivalent. Just kidding. Sort of.

Old 06-01-2019, 12:42 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Has anyone on this forum received a sticker on a card they’ve consigned with PWCC?

I don’t think this post will unduly prolong the duration of this thread.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:43 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Has anyone on this forum received a sticker on a card they’ve consigned with PWCC?

I don’t think this post will unduly prolong the duration of this thread.
I think Jesse said he got one once?

Old 06-01-2019, 12:44 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
I think Jesse said he got one once?
That’s why I added “unduly”.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:51 PM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

PWCC sold the cards to collectors and targeted investors. I don't think it's up to the buyer to send their card back into PSA to determine if there was altering. Collectors might do this, but likely not the investors. Brent has an obligation to his customers to make them aware that their investments are tainted. Instead, he's trying to change the game with his conservation/restoration nonsense. When it's time for the investors to sell, they're going to get a fraction of what they put into it. If Brent was truly a victim here and not complicit he'd put out a statement that PWCC is actively researching the fraud and will be contacting buyers so they can seek a refund through PSA's guarantee.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:51 PM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

Quote:
A PWCC sticker may be the equivalent. Just kidding. Sort of.
hah!
Old 06-01-2019, 01:41 PM
Joe D
Joe Do.oley

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpo...postcount=2422

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpo...postcount=2421
Old 06-01-2019, 01:46 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Those are T206 Green Ty Cobb portraits, for those who didn't click on the links.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:46 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Those are T206 Green Ty Cobb portraits, for those who didn't click on the links.
Now we're close to home, eh?

Old 06-01-2019, 02:11 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Wow, a half grade of "conservation" and the auction result increased over $3,000.
Old 06-01-2019, 02:13 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
Wow, a half grade of "conservation" and the auction result increased over $3,000.
Part of that is the market was going up.

Old 06-01-2019, 02:17 PM

Default Not sure if anyone has said it yet, but..

"never get cheated"
Old 06-01-2019, 02:48 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Read my signature block. Do people see signature blocks by default?
Old 06-01-2019, 06:20 PM
Jeff Lar.son

When I was selling off my dad’s collection for him, most of the cards went through PWCC. In fact I was a pretty big supporter of Brent based on my dealings with him (“was” being the key word). The DiMaggio debacle was the start, but when this latest BS started getting unveiled, I thought back to some of his cards that got grades I was disappointed with that went through PWCC. The first one that came to mind was a 57 Starr that had great eye appeal, but a stain on the back. I wondered if it would show up as part of this. Sure enough, here it is...

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpo...postcount=2425

Surprised it still only got a 6 after the work. Based on the delay between auctions, I wonder if it was resubbed and/or reworked multiple times until he gave up.

It certainly wasn’t the most valuable card he had, but it was still really nice before being “conserved”.

Edit: Just remembered I posted about it when the original auction went up and included the raw pics in this thread -

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=221499

Last edited by Batpig; 06-01-2019 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:27 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
A number Forbes online contributors were involved, not too long ago, in a payola scandal where the writers were taking money for favorable pieces and links to certain companies.

This is merely a statement of fact. Draw your own conclusions.

https://glean.info/paying-contributi...thical-common/
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions