NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-15-2005, 10:10 PM
Administrator

Default Another Ruth auto on e-bay. Real?

Posted By: Mike

What are everyone's thoughts on this Ruth auto?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=53&item=5156329311&rd=1

Old 01-15-2005, 10:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh Evans

no good, no way

Old 01-15-2005, 10:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

Iam no expert on autographs ,but am a penmanship master. First off the b & the e in Babe doesn't look consistent with Babes autos , the bottom part of the e doesnt loop upward enough and is sloppy. Ive seen some early Ruth autographs and though they werent as neat, they were somewhat alike...

Secondly the "R" in Ruth is not underlooped enough and the first up and down line in the "R" is more straighter and the starting of the 2nd line angles , this does not look right on either points. His "u" is never that sloppy and his "t's are very neat with a near perfect cross line and finally the "h" is usually in line w/ the t and doesnt sag as such.

Check any of Mastros catalogs or call them ,Iam sure someone would at least give you another opinion.

Third- why wasn't it authenticated for the sake of much more money....this auto is
a fugazi.

Ruth would have had to been a near blackout stage to had done this one and the boy could hold his own. Good luck

Old 01-15-2005, 10:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

one thing this example does have going for it is that it's not signed neatly on a straight line. Some reading I have been doing lately on Ruth's autos have made a big deal about the uneveness of the signature.. and to look for a "bouncy" feel. I know there are many Ruth auto's out there, but unfortunately there are just as many fakes out there to counter his abundant signings.

Old 01-16-2005, 04:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

Ruth Sigs on paper are usually very clean and straight everything lines up nice the second "b" and the cross "t" look real bad. and the whole sig looks like he went slower than what others look like. Ruth had nice penmenship. Frank

Old 01-16-2005, 06:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean Coe

The b seems to have been written slowly-almost drawn. The spacing between the b and a semms off. Lastly, I haven't seen a signature where the letters in Ruth went up and down to that degree.

Old 01-16-2005, 06:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Simon

No way, no how.

Richard Simon

p.s. I was an active participant in a few UACC EBAY surveys, some time ago.
All categories of autographs were surveyed. All categories came back 90% not good.

Old 01-16-2005, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

How about this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5156926290&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Too bad he wasn't listing the photo book seperately as I have no interest in the autographs.

Old 01-16-2005, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

NO GOOD

Old 01-16-2005, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason D

You have to be kidding me. 100% of Ruth autos on ebay are FAKE folks! As far as Ruth autos sold through auction houses Mnetn SCP, and others I would not expect them to all be real either. You all should know how inconsistantly wrong auto authenticators are in this hobby. If you want to make sure you are getting the real deal get it IN PERSON. The only way to know for sure is to get it yourself. The fact that Ruth is dead will pretty much limit your luck on finding a real auto especially on ebay or other auctions.

Jason

Old 01-16-2005, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Well, I don't collect autographs because they simply just don't appeal to me, but I would love to have the photo album that goes along with that auction.

Old 01-16-2005, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

The second Ruth Sig looks good to me, the Foxx and Mack look real good. Love the photo of Foxx with the dog. Frank

Old 01-16-2005, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred

Did everyone not read the item description?

Comes with a COA from Sports Investments Inc, we GUARANTEE the signature will pass any legitimate authenticity service(ie PSA/DNA).

If PSA will pass it, then it has to be real!!! Isn't that right?

Old 01-16-2005, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chuck Ross

It seems like there are many folks on the board here who can look at a scan and tell a real autograph from a forgery. With a little time on their hands, how hard would it really be for someone to practice enough to duplicate a Ruth (or Gehrig, etc) signature? Everyone varies their signature a little when they sign, so there is room for a little slack in the technique...it's not like matching DNA. It seems like with a little time and some knowledge about vintage pens and paper, that it wouldn't be all that difficult if there was money in it. Personally, I don't really have much interest in autographs, certainly no interest in an autograph that I didn't obtain in person.

Old 01-16-2005, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I thought that the safest way to get a vintage HOFer w/r/t forgeries is on a bank check the player signed. Experts, true or not?

Old 01-16-2005, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I spoke to a gentleman from Canada about a year ago. I met him through a deal on ebay. He said he was in his 70's and had a NY Yankee Team signed ball with Ruth on it and his brother had a single signed one. I asked him how he knew it was real. He said he won a contest when he was young and got to have Ruth sign his ball for him. He said he had pictures, newspaper clips, and an audio recording of the event. I guess that's about as good as it gets.......Other than that I am sure glad I don't collect anything but cards and packs and minor ancillary items. These autographs and memorabelia dealings would keep me up at night....later

Old 01-17-2005, 12:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I used to do a really good Ruth sig. If a show was slow and I got really bored, I'd go buy a new baseball and sign it with a ball point pen. I'd then give it to a friend and let him take it around show and see what kind of offers he could get. It's amazing how many dealers and collectors thought the ball was real because they wouldn't bother to check the ball and there are few if any ball point pen sigs on balls out there done by Ruth since it was invented only a few years before his death.

I learned to forge sigs in Jr High during study hall so I could write hall passes for myself

Jay

Wow upside down is Mom. Mom upside down is what dad wants to see.

Old 01-17-2005, 07:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean Coe

Collecting personal checks of HOFers is a better but certainly not absolute way of ensuring authenticity. It makes me very sad to read Jay's post about his fake Babe Ruth ball. The dealers who wanted to buy it would have then tried to pass it on another uneducated soul and... depressing.

Old 01-17-2005, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Don't worry, none of make fakes are floating around out there. I go to the dealer's table later explain to them why they were about waste a ton of money on a fake sig. It's amazing the number of dealers that would respond "I didn't think of that" when I told them all they had to do was check who the president of the league was on the ball.

Ruth was an easy sig for me to do. I never could do a passible Gehrig. Capital G's give me lots of trouble for some reason.

Jay

Wow upside down is Mom. Mom upside down is what dad wants to see.

Old 01-17-2005, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: rick

The first one definitely looks bad.
I like the second one. It looks good.There is something unique about the way Ruth writes the R that is tell tale to me. I am no expert, but I have a perfect example that my dad got when Ruth was a Brooklyn coach in '38.