NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-26-2010, 02:20 AM

Default What is the most important piece in your collection, and why?

Mine is this recently acquired single page of sporting news from the New York Evening Post dated June 14, 1923. The day before Lou Gehrig made his Major League Debut...

1923GehrigJoinsYankesNEWSPAPER.jpg

The reason it's the most important piece in my collection is that it makes my original TYPE 1 photo the first known image of Gehrig in a Yankees uniform as he made his debut the very next day!

From Wikipedia... "Gehrig joined the New York Yankees midway through the 1923 season and made his debut on June 15, 1923, as a pinch hitter. In his first two seasons, he saw limited playing time, mostly as a pinch hitter — he played in only 23 games and was not on the Yankees' 1923 World Series roster."

1923GehrigJoinsYankesNEWSPAPERcloseUP.jpgGehrigYEE2010.jpg

GehrigYEE2010verso.jpgGehrigYEE2010loa.jpg

So what is your most important piece?
Old 09-26-2010, 06:47 AM
Yankeefan51

Default The Five most important pieces in our collection

Whilst it is difficult to assess the hundreds of rare items that we have acquiredin more than three decades of collecting the extraordinary baseball memorabilia,the five most important items are:

1) Boston Garter H 8123-1 (1912) uncut sheet- beautiful and unique

2) 1924 Negro League World series program with some autographs-
one of two known - from the Halper collection (pre auction)

3) Four Base Hits- Van Haltran- highest graded 4 Base Hits in existence
45) Milwaukee Brewers 1901 Program- only year AL (and one of two one year only teams (Seattle Pilots is the other) - near perfect and unique

5) Full ticket to Game 3 of the 1958 World Series-our first baseball game
with our dad and friends- Yankees 4 - Milwaukee Braves 0 - DonLarsen
pitches a shut out.

Bruce Dorskind
America's Toughest WantList
BDorskind@dorskindgroup.com

America's premiere buyer of high grade ultra rare baseball memorabilia
and pre war baseball cards (no uniforms, autographs, equipment)
Old 09-26-2010, 07:58 AM
Dynarl Broughman

Default Sept. 5, 1889 Trophy Ball

My most important piece is my Trophy Ball. The reason is I have been trying to find out all I can about this game. I don't even know who won the game.The best part is the help I have gotten from Net 54 members. Joe G. found a picture in the Burton Collection (Detroit Library) of the 1889 Detroit Police team, Clint sent a scan of a ribbon from the game, Dan B. helped with information and Leon L. helped me post my first picture before I new how to do it myself. Collectors helping each other to bring back our history so we can pass it on to our kids is what it is all about. Thanks Everyone! Great post!
Old 09-26-2010, 09:11 AM
Richard Simon

Default It's still a game of memories

My most important piece, not espcially valuable, hardly in mint condition, having been in my pants pocket throughout the game.
1999 NLCS Game 5, home game 3, the Robin Ventura Grand Slam single,, Mets Win!!
The greatest game I was ever at (better than Bunning's perfect game even) and I was there with my son. We still talk about it to this day, the joy, the screaming in the stands. The Mets needed just a fly ball from Ventura to win and when the ball left Ventura's bat I knew the game was over and turned to my son. Hi fiving, cheering, shouting, hugging. I did not know until later that the ball had cleared the fence and Ventura did not get credit for a HR due to a baserunning gaffe.
Years later, my son, in the course of his job, interviewed Shawon Dunston. Dunston had led off the bottom of the 15th inning with one of the greatest AB's we had ever seen. He fouled off about a dozen pitches before singling to start the two run rally which would win the game. As soon as my son told him that we had been at the game, Dunston just lit up. Telling my son that the 1999 Mets were such a great team and one of his favorite teams to play on.
--
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ventura-HR.jpg (56.5 KB, 427 views)
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 09-26-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:57 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default the missing link to E92/E104 Nadja cards

This is far from my most valuable piece but, I believe, is the missing link to determining what company put out the E92/E104 Nadja sets. Before this "find" that another board member alerted me to on ebay, the mfg was not known. regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pcandyboxnadja3.jpg (12.4 KB, 415 views)
File Type: jpg pcandyboxnadja1.jpg (12.9 KB, 412 views)
File Type: jpg pcandyboxnadja2.jpg (14.6 KB, 412 views)
Old 09-26-2010, 10:31 AM
Rick P

It's been about a year and a half since I showed this store display for what I consider the greatest of all gum card sets. This paper window sign is rare enough, but I can vouch for the fact that this came right out of an unopened box of Sport Kings found back in the seventies. It took about ten years to complete a trade for the empty box and the poster, and then we tackled the challenge to restore it as the gummed strips at the top and bottom were stuck together thanks to good old Oklahoma humidity. It measures 14" x 14". The card fronts are the same size as the real cards and the colors are striking.

What about the packs and the box? Well, it was the seventies and there was no way to resist the siren call of those packs. All were opened, yielding muliple Ruths, Cobbs, Thorpes, Dempseys and the like...an amazing sight as all had razor sharp corners and beautiful coloring and centering. The backs were stained as the slabs of gum were stuck to them (the gum tasted terrible, by the way!). Later, a cleaner was supposedly developed and I wouldn't be surprised if those are the high grade examples now slabbed. The cards were traded off long ago. I owned the display box and enough packs to fill a top tray; alas, I sold the box and most of the packs long ago but did find the photograph for your enjoyment. The poster, however, remains and each time I see it I have great memories.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:38 AM
Kevin O'Gara

Default hand painted lemonaide set

mine is this 1880 to 90s hand painted mary gregory lemonaide set. just because this thin light glass has survived in remarkable condition. missing one glass. it is either american or bohemian glass. beautifully made. the pics. do not do it justice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010001.JPG (75.9 KB, 398 views)
File Type: jpg P1010002.JPG (72.9 KB, 397 views)
File Type: jpg P1010003.JPG (75.0 KB, 397 views)
Old 09-26-2010, 10:54 AM
Mike H.

I chose my oversized Cubs pennant from the teens. I selected this piece because it may be a "lone survivor" and thus has some potential significance to the collecting world and history of the Cubs. It displays graphics from the golden age of pennant production and artistry that has since been lost.

Last edited by mjkm90; 09-26-2010 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:04 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Tough to top that one, Mike....

Mine is either Johnny Bench's first-ever Home Run Ball, Tony Perez' Flannel Home Jersey from 1970 (his best season), or Tony Perez' Batting Helmet from the 1975 World Series (the pinnacle of success for the Big Red Machine). All 3 items represent landmark times in Reds' history. I guess that makes them "important".... they are to me, anyway.

The set of 5 Spalding Trophies and a Nap Lajoie Game-used Bat (Mears A8) from the 1900s would be other important pieces, but the Reds' items mean the most to me personally.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:54 PM
Mike H.

Mark...from a historical significance perspective you have set the high bar for this thread. What I want to know is if you ever put on the jersey and helmet while watching Reds games...come on...it's ok you are among friends
Old 09-26-2010, 05:40 PM

Default 5,714 K's with no one in the rear view mirror......

I posted this one before, but it's one of my favorites. History speaks for itself here.
Nolan Ryan wore this glove during his 5,000th career strikeout on 8/22/89. The letter of provenace for this glove is direct from Ryan.

As many of you may know, he ended up with 5,714 career strikeouts. Now that Randy Johnson has retired with 4875 career K's, IMHO no pitcher will ever reach 5,000 K's ever again due to a number of factors including, in no particular order: genetics, 27 year career, today's focus on specialized pitching, 5 day rotatations, 100 pitch pitchcounts....

Last edited by Scott Garner; 09-26-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:44 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkm90 View Post
Mark...from a historical significance perspective you have set the high bar for this thread. What I want to know is if you ever put on the jersey and helmet while watching Reds games...come on...it's ok you are among friends
Mike...

I have tried on the Helmet, as it's very sturdy and I couldn't hurt it. But I'm way too scared to try on the jersey... I'm sure I would pop a button or snag the fabric or something horrible.

Since turnabout is fair play... Have you taken your Pennant to any Cubbie games this year? I can just see you taking it to Wrigley (on a rainy day) and waving it around, to rally on the Cubs!

Hard to believe that someone did just that about 100 years ago (on the day it was first sold)
Old 09-27-2010, 12:22 PM
Jim Ringquist

Default Yellow Basepath

A no brainer here as I still have a Hank Aaron PM15 pin that I purchased from a gumball machine back in 1956. These are commonly called 'yellow basepath' pins. I have very fond memories of those wonderful years back in Fergus Falls, MN.

Jim R.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:24 PM
Mike H.

Mark...when I first acquired it I wrapped myself in it and just rocked back and forth until my wife smacked me upside the head and said "get a life!". I have to think this was an expensive pennant as pennants go...even back in the day. But I'm sure many of them were trampled, forgotten in the stands, and thrown out when that child left home. It's amazing any of the pennants from that era survived.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:05 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Default 1940's A's pennant

My father gave me his 1940's Phila. A's pennant some years ago. It was nice, had an elephant I think... was navy blue and white. A bit dirty.... I put it in the washer on gentle with woolite... what came out was just a pile of felt ...LOL he never let me forget it!
Old 09-27-2010, 07:27 PM

Over 5 years ago i purchased this, then put in 2_ years of research.

It is a 1914-15 Ty Cobb Gamer. At the time there was questions of its use (due to its original Kork status 40k) by Cobb. 5 years later, after astounding evidence to legitimize use. (let alone all of his characteristics , Length/weight/Twisted tape/Cleat marks)

What also was discovered was the fact during this era was the 1st time Players branded signatures were used on the end of the bat. 1 other Cobb during that era recently sold for over $30,000, and currently SCP is asking over 45,000
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cobb_nt.JPG (26.7 KB, 174 views)
Old 09-27-2010, 07:33 PM

Four commons from the 1962 Topps sixth series. The first pack I ever bought, and I was instantly and forever hooked. No idea where the fifth card went, but I've saved those four all these years. On the memorabilia side, three scored Cardinals scorecards from 1954. Hank Aaron's first home run, and Musial's five homer doubleheader - signed.