NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-24-2023, 03:14 PM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Default 1948 Leaf Musial - advice/thoughts on the dizzying number of color options??

I would love some expert opinions to help me sort through what is a confusing number of color options ions for the 1948 Leaf Stan Musial.

Background colors range across many blue palettes, I have seen the black block of his name misaligned with his image block/background and his hat changes colors like a mood ring too!

And I’m guessing others here can point out more variations (and reasons for it?)

My big question to this group would be - which color option/variation do experienced Musial collectors prefer? Yes, I will pick one that appeals to me in the end but I value others opinions and experiences on this before making my purchase decision. Net54 rarely disappoints!

Which color variation of the ‘48 Leaf Musial do YOU fancy (and why??)

Thanks all!

Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 05F78D4C-9895-4CF0-9272-C60E32E97F44.jpg (210.7 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg 78A17596-1D1B-42F4-ABF5-3C4951759AEE.jpg (211.6 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg 8AD3A640-70CC-4B7E-8E8E-12B1405865DF.jpg (147.4 KB, 283 views)
Old 05-24-2023, 03:21 PM
Jeremy

I do not have a Musial, but I do have a Ted Williams from the set, and it is one of my favorite cards. The registration on the cards is a nightmare, as you know, so I prioritized finding one with perfect registration and great color, and well - not perfect, but not terrible centering. I just can't stand to look at a poorly registered card. It's a baseball card, not a Picasso.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1948 Leaf Ted Williams SGC 8 (2).jpg (195.1 KB, 278 views)
192/240 1933 Goudeys (Ruth #144, #149, Gehrig #92)
126/208 T205s
28/108? Diamond Stars
Old 05-24-2023, 03:21 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

For all 1948 Leaf cards, regardless of the sport, the only way quality and control could get in the same sentence was “Quality; we can’t control that”.
Old 05-24-2023, 03:27 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Always preferred the light blue myself just for aesthetics, no other reason.

If there is a rock to be turned over on this set, Tedzan will have info. This is one of his favorites. Personally I do not know if the Blue tint on the Musial has a notable value change.

I imagine a master set of this set with all variations would be exhaustive, not sure if it has been complied yet. Some like the missing backgrounds and the Newhouser blue and yellow are hen's teeth.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 05-24-2023, 04:07 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

This one

Tho if I could have any one of them it would be the error version without any background color. Didn't win that when it popped up.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-24-2023 at 04:07 PM.
Old 05-24-2023, 04:34 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Stan...In a CSG 1.5 holder now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg musial.jpg (186.9 KB, 244 views)
Old 05-24-2023, 07:54 PM
Brian K

I have been working on this project for a while. I’m writing a manuscript about the history of the 1949 Leaf sets. The print color variations are rampant through the set, in talking with my Great Uncle who worked as a printer during the late 40’s, his opinion was that the inks that were purchased were “whatever was available.” So the CMYK 4 color process used whatever they could get from their ink distributors, without a color standard applied to it, hence the difference in colors.

The Red hat variation represents a physical plate change, making it a true variation. It is in-line with the Peterson variation that is widely recognized. I am currently trying to get PSA and others to recognize this variation that affects most of the 49 cards in the 1st issue set.

I took the images of the 2 version of this card into photoshop and isolated the cyan and black channels, you can clearly see how the black printing plate had been changed to allow for the red to show through. Another indicator of the later printings is the pinkish magenta ink, which is only present on the cards whose plates had been altered to improve the color of the hats. I’ll have more info coming soon on this topic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 48_MUSIAL_Black_Red_Cap.jpg (180.7 KB, 218 views)
Old 05-24-2023, 07:58 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

I've always Liked the all red cap dark blue background combo. It always seemed to be overlooked by everyone. Glad to see a thread made about this.

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale
Old 05-24-2023, 08:06 PM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

In my limited experience - The light blue has the most consistent registration ,
Here is mine with the dark blue - the “ all red hat variation “ is almost always “joggled” looking ,
If you can find a red hat that’s focused- that’d be neat .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4788EB80-C10A-4991-B418-9712BC4F84D8.jpg (194.1 KB, 210 views)
Old 05-24-2023, 08:50 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beercan collector View Post
In my limited experience - The light blue has the most consistent registration ,
Here is mine with the dark blue - the “ all red hat variation “ is almost always “joggled” looking ,
This one is the best I can find. https://www.ebay.com/itm/12493589640...mis&media=COPY

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale
Old 05-24-2023, 09:49 PM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas00 View Post
Markedly better than most - Weirdly the same seller has a regular BVG5 with some decent centering
https://www.ebay.com/itm/35408236852...0AAOSwuWViks5l

Last edited by Beercan collector; 05-24-2023 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-25-2023, 08:09 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks87 View Post
I have been working on this project for a while. I’m writing a manuscript about the history of the 1949 Leaf sets. The print color variations are rampant through the set, in talking with my Great Uncle who worked as a printer during the late 40’s, his opinion was that the inks that were purchased were “whatever was available.” So the CMYK 4 color process used whatever they could get from their ink distributors, without a color standard applied to it, hence the difference in colors.

The Red hat variation represents a physical plate change, making it a true variation. It is in-line with the Peterson variation that is widely recognized. I am currently trying to get PSA and others to recognize this variation that affects most of the 49 cards in the 1st issue set.

I took the images of the 2 version of this card into photoshop and isolated the cyan and black channels, you can clearly see how the black printing plate had been changed to allow for the red to show through. Another indicator of the later printings is the pinkish magenta ink, which is only present on the cards whose plates had been altered to improve the color of the hats. I’ll have more info coming soon on this topic.
That's pretty much accurate. I think the ones using magenta rather than red (the red hat version for Musial) are earlier rather than later. But it's a coin toss considering how many changes they made.

I've been working on a similar project, a virtual master set using saved images. Most cards have a clear variation besides color, for Musial, not only red hat/black hat but with the line of blue at the end of the bat or not.
Many differences are partly tied to the color differences

For a few I haven't found the difference yet, and for a few I've found not only three basic types, but a very few transitional types where for example the black layer that goes along with a particular yellow layer goes with a different yellow layer than usual.

The normal red with whatever variety are fairly common.
The Magenta ones are a bit tougher.
The transitional types are not at all common.

I think those represent a transition from one print run/set of plates to another.

I mostly pick up commons, but haven't noted much price difference based on color between any versions that aren't recognized variations.
Old 05-25-2023, 08:18 AM
octavio ranzola

pretty card i own this havent seen it in yrs ,,but i own a ton of football and boxing ,,colrs all over the place.great sets enjoy octavio
Old 05-28-2023, 03:34 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beercan collector View Post
+1 Great registration on that one