NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-27-2010, 09:30 AM
Johnny S

Default Question for the auto experts

I have a queston about this but I don't know anything about autos but really like this letter, especially since the lady it is written to is from Brockton, Ma. It looks real from what I can tell but have no clue. I am assuming since it is a hand written letter it has more value but also the crease through his name might bring down the value a little. My question is, is it real and what is a fair price to pay for something like this in your opinion ? Thanks for any help !!

Last edited by ChiefBenderForever; 04-27-2010 at 09:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-27-2010, 09:52 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

It is indeed good, and worth between $450 - $550 IMO. The crease right through Benders signature would indeed bother me, but probably only devalues the piece by perhaps 20%.

The crease is normal/expected, and is not very intrusive... but just the fact that it has to reside right there would drive me nuts. I'm a perfectionist, and would end up looking more at the positioning of the crease than at the overall letter itself.

If it bugs you too, you may want to hold out for another. Bender signed items are somewhat rare, but do turn up with relative frequency.

Last edited by perezfan; 04-27-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:00 AM

The sig does look good to me as well. But I have to disagree with Mark on the crease. It doesn't bother me at all. I would rather have a signed letter with a crease through the sig than a perfect cut signature. Signed letters seem more personal to me and I'm sure are much more difficult to obtain. As for price, I would defer to Mark's opinion.

Mike
Old 04-27-2010, 10:02 AM
Johnny S

Thanks for the info, it's to bad the fold goes right through the middle of his name, I wish the envelope it was sent in was still with the letter that would be really cool. I hear you Doc, the crease doesn't bother me as much since it is a folded letter, but is funny how it does go right through his name.

Last edited by ChiefBenderForever; 04-27-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:10 AM

Johnny,

If you have the oppurtunity to purchase it, I think it would be a great item to have and personally, if you found a nice vintage photo to frame it with, it could be an outstanding display piece.

Mike
Old 04-27-2010, 10:15 AM

Also,

There are not many items that display more nicely than a signed photo or photo display. One of my favorites (sorry not pre-war), and it doesn't bother me at all that there is a crease in the photo or that it is personalized to "Dick", which is not my name, although I'm sure I've been called that in the past....

Old 04-27-2010, 10:34 AM
Johnny S

The Clemente piece is amazing !! I do have a great photo, hoping it is a type 1 but don't know anything about photos either but this is a great picture of Bender ! I also have a few business cards and was hoping they would match the letter head on this letter but they are from Howards Clothes so still not sure how Browing King & Co. is affiliated with Howards or if his store just changed names but still cool.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:37 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Just want to clarify that I completely agree with docpatlv.... the crease is not bad at all, and is completely normal/expected on a tri-folded letter like this. I am in the vast minority, by being bothered by this. I actually seek out letters in which the crease does not penetrate the name. It is more of a personal "OCD" thing than anything resembling normal collecting protocol.

That said... this is a VERY nice letter with a clean Bender autograph (and would be a terrific acquisition!) To pair it with that gorgeous photo would be visually stunning. Please be sure to post the final product if you are able to acquire it!

Last edited by perezfan; 04-27-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:45 AM
Johnny S

I totally hear you Mike, a crease through the face on a baseball card drives me insane !! The fact that the letter was sent to Brockton really makes me want to get this, in fact I'll be there this weekend to celebrate my mother in laws birthday, who is a Brockton native and was in elementry school when Rocky was in high school. What I really wish is that the envelope was with it but what a great letter, especially now that I know it's real !!

add to edit: is the photo I posted above a type 1 ?

Last edited by ChiefBenderForever; 04-27-2010 at 10:46 AM. Reason: is the photo I posted a type 1 ??
Old 04-27-2010, 10:53 AM

Johnny,

I'm not a photo expert, so I can't really tell you if it's a Type I or not. But to me the important thing is it's still vintage and even more importantly, it is a fantastic image! It would look great with the letter and possibly even add the business cards to the display. It would be great to have the envelope as well, but still a great item none-the-less. As Mark mentioned, if you do purchase and frame up, we'd love to see the final result.

Mike
Old 04-27-2010, 10:58 AM
Johnny S

Very true Mike ! It's my favorite image of him I have ever seen he looks so happy. I have some serious thinking to do now !!
Old 04-27-2010, 11:00 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Here's a link to a Chief Bender Letter currently in REA....

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/...x?itemid=14148

REA's pre-auction estimate was $400 - $600, but perhaps that was low, considering it already sits at $800 (plus the juice). This Letter is really nice, but so is the one posted above. I know REA realizes top dollar, but perhaps it's still worth a bit more than I initially thought.

Hope this is of some help, and best of luck!
Old 04-27-2010, 11:06 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

I'll chime in also that I believe this to be a good example of a Chief Bender autograph. As for the photo, it has the press stamp on the back and other than the written 1913 date there's no indication as to being a second generation photo so I believe this to be a Type 1 photo. As was stated before, even if it wasn't it's a nice photo and one that would look great matted with the letter. Good luck!
1955 Dodger Autographs...40/43
1934 Gas House Gang Autographs...Complete
1969 Cubs Autographs...Black Cat ticket plus 30/50
1960 Pirates autographs...Complete
1961 Yankees autographs...Complete
1971-1975 A's Playoff/WS roster autos...Complete
Old 04-27-2010, 11:13 AM
Johnny S

Thanks for the link Mark I didn't see that letter, all of my stuff is in storage in West Hartford as we just moved here from Minneapolis, how odd is that, one letter to W. Hartford and the other to Brockton. To bad I can't get both !! Thanks for all the help and info.

Thanks for the info on the picture Mike !!

Last edited by ChiefBenderForever; 04-27-2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:14 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

AWESOME LETTER...I have just started to realize how much I enjoy these letters and I do not even own one yet!

As for the photo, the press stamp IS NOT of the type 1 variety unfortunately. The image is from 1913 but the stamp has a zip code(first thing I notice). Secondly, UPI was not even around then so no variation of their stamp would suffice. The evolution of United Press can be viewed on "A Portrait of Baseball Photography" by Fogel, Oser and Yee on page 162.

It is a GREAT image and has value..just not Type 1 value. In any case, the two would look awesome framed up together. Congrats before hand if you land the letter!!!

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 04-27-2010, 12:18 PM

As already noted, most old letters have mailing folds in them. So neat mailing folds in and of themselves, aren't a defect.

Last edited by drc; 04-27-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:37 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Ben, that's great info regarding the press stamp. I've learned more from this site and from Ben and Jimmy in the last few months then at anytime before.
1955 Dodger Autographs...40/43
1934 Gas House Gang Autographs...Complete
1969 Cubs Autographs...Black Cat ticket plus 30/50
1960 Pirates autographs...Complete
1961 Yankees autographs...Complete
1971-1975 A's Playoff/WS roster autos...Complete