NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-09-2010, 09:35 PM

Default A few questions...

I recently purchased some cards from a family friend. I did not have any of this era on baseball, I had a couple of years in the '70s in football that a relative gave me because he didn't want them. Anyways I had a few questions after looking through the cards. Some are not in the best shape, not saying they are torn up or anything like that. But some corners are bent and some have a crease in them. None are graded, might grade a few just to see how they get graded. Cards range from 1952-1971, topps or bowman, more topps than bowman

Questions I had

1. How do you store you cards that aren't graded in. Boxes, pages, top-loaders or sleeves. I don't know about putting them in something, because of the corners. I guess I would have too be extra careful. Can you and if so where do buy these for the larger cards.

2. I have noticed than many are not centered very good, a couple even have parts cut of, that is how off center it is. Does this hurt the value, if so how much?

3. Cards that are worn or faded, (I don't know how to explain other than that) does hurt the value of the card. One year, some of them are kind of fuzzy, does that affect the value.

4. As I mentioned I am thinking about getting some graded. Should I get stars graded even if they are not in the best shape(3-6)?

I am not looking sell any, might sell or trade a few that I have doubles of, but so far haven't found too many.

Thanks in advance, I have enjoyed looking at this site the past few day and look for to contributing and getting answers to a few more questions in the future, but don't have time scan at the moment.

Thanks

scottpt99
Old 08-10-2010, 07:33 AM
Steve Birmingham

Most of my collection is stored in 2 or 4 row boxes.(Moving to mostly 2 row since the 4 row no longer fit the toploaders) For worn cards I don't always use any sleeves depending on how worn it is. Ones that are not really bad go in the penny sleves, and nicer ones go in penny sleeves in toploaders.
The toploaders take up a bunch of space, but give decent protection.
If space is a worry, cardsaver holders are also pretty good.
I might also put star cards in a toploader even if they're beat.

Personally I wouldn't bother getting any graded unless you want to sell them. and then just the big stars. fairly nice ungraded commons are only a few dollars at a show for mid 50's cards, so even with a grading special you're paying more for the slab than the card is worth.

Miscut cards are usually sold for less than normally cut cards. Centering is a big deal for some people, not as much for others.

I actually like badly miscut cards sometimes. It's fun to try to find two that fit together.

The fading will affect the price, as will the "fuzziness" which is usualy the registration of the printing. Sometimes the different colors didn't line up exactly making a blurry picture. Again, usually a detraction, but if it's bad enough (Like it looking as if a guy has two gloves or something) a very few people would collect it as a printing error.

Steve B
Old 08-11-2010, 08:38 PM
Patrick N.

Default answers

1. For display purposes, sheets in a binder work well...Toploaders with a sleeve are best if you are planning to ship them or isolate them from commons. For larger cards, you can buy vintage sleeves/plaques at a local card shop or online (eBay)

2. Yes, centering is a huge factor that impacts a card's value...Centering, corners, surface, edges are 4 main factors to impact a cards' grade.

3. In terms of fuzziness, assuming the card is authentic, yes, focus and photo clarity is very important to the overall eye appeal of the card.

4. In terms of grading, don't think it is necessary for your situation unless you personally want them slabbed; probably wouldn't help for resale value since you have mid to low grade stuff.

Good luck,
Old 08-13-2010, 08:54 PM
Johnny S

I would go through them all and take out all the hof superstars, semi stars, and the ones you like and put them in sheets in a baseball binder. They sell sheets for the oversized cards from 52-56. Have fun going through them and finding out what you have.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:11 PM

Thanks for the input everyone. I have ordered some penny sleeves for them. I think I will put them in there and then put the in a safe deposit box in the bank. Lots of nice cards, wish they all in better shape, but I still think I got a good deal.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:12 PM
Johnny S

Unless you have a 52 Mantle RC I wouldn't spend the money on a safe deposit box and put them in the bank, a shoe box under the bed or in the closet will do just fine, or what really works nice is the plastic tubs with covers they keep the dust out good.