NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-25-2023, 02:44 PM
Patrick N.

Default T206s on Chasing Cardboard.

To me these t206s in the video below appear authentic. Yet the YouTubers here think otherwise. Your thoughts on authenticity ?..To me most faked t206s are obvious to spot, these do not fit that description.

https://youtu.be/XUP-sdCyYHo

Last edited by mintacular; 05-25-2023 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-25-2023, 04:34 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Fixing the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUP-sdCyYHo

10:36 has a decent close view of the cards. I didn't watch the whole thing.

It looks real to me, but it's just a couple seconds of actually getting a good look.
Old 05-25-2023, 05:07 PM
Jason

yep, absolutely look real. There are some better shots than this one, but I'd take a chance on those all day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2023-05-25 at 7.05.58 PM.jpg (170.6 KB, 567 views)
Old 05-25-2023, 05:32 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

I'm guessing they are real as well, and were probably soaked. Giving them that notorious shine/texture they mention.
And a few more photos.

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale

Last edited by Lucas00; 05-25-2023 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-25-2023, 06:16 PM
Mike P.ap

Default 100% real.

Funny video. They are real.
Old 05-25-2023, 06:19 PM
Rob G.

I agree the T206s appear real to me.

Around the 9:15 mark he misidentifies a T207 (Chalmers, I believe) first as a T205 and then a T204. I don't think pre-war is his bread & butter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T207_Chalmers.JPG (19.3 KB, 551 views)
Old 05-25-2023, 07:03 PM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger8mush View Post
I agree the T206s appear real to me.

Around the 9:15 mark he misidentifies a T207 (Chalmers, I believe) first as a T205 and then a T204. I don't think pre-war is his bread & butter.
I don't think anything is his bread and butter

Last edited by boneheadandrube; 05-25-2023 at 09:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-25-2023, 07:32 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Agreed, look real from the perspective and I don't see any blatant signs off hand other than the afore mentioned likely soak out of a scrapbook.

Now, I personally would like to handle those Home Run Derby cards. I have my reservations on those just from sight.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 05-25-2023, 07:35 PM
Robert J. Miller

I agree real and I would not have a problem buying them.
Old 05-25-2023, 08:46 PM

I’m guessing he will read these comments and post a response in a future video. They look real absolutely.
Old 05-25-2023, 09:03 PM

They look just like my T206 cards, and they better be real, because I paid real money for them, and I would hate for youtubers to burst my bubble.

Brian (and some of mine for comparison, and a T205 and I believe a T204 just to show you all I know where my bread is buttered)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t206minors 001.jpg (126.3 KB, 492 views)
File Type: jpg tobaccotriplecrownquinna 001.jpg (155.2 KB, 500 views)
Old 05-26-2023, 07:09 AM
P@trick R.omolo

These guys should put their hats and T-shirts that they had made in a closet and stop youtubing until they actually know something about some of the cards that they're commenting on.
Old 05-26-2023, 09:04 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I admit after that one I watched a few more videos. There was one in which they go to buy an absolute ton of junk and modern wax based on some photos of horrifically fake Mantles. One was a Red Heart that would still look fake two blocks away.

Even after having them in hand, they sent them to SGC for review. I think that video was enough for me to get where their knowledge was at. Both seem like extremely nice and honest fellows, but they could be making some risky calls on purchases moving outside the modern genres or missing out on some opportunities.

That said their knowledge likely well exceeds mine post 2000 as that’s where I trade off with my son and leave it to him, lol.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 05-26-2023, 09:50 AM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
These guys should put their hats and T-shirts that they had made in a closet and stop youtubing until they actually know something about some of the cards that they're commenting on.

I'm glad someone finally said it. Thanks Patrick. And I'm not just picking on these guys, but a lot of people, video's and topic's. I watch more youtube than I create youtube video's. It seems, no matter the collectible type or topic, there's a bunch of untrue's or just bad information. When I was making video's on a topic, even though I knew what I wanted to say and what direction I wanted the video to go in, It still stayed genuine. But even if I felt that I already knew all the facts about a product, I would still do a quick study and make notes of the points I wanted to touch on, before hitting that record button. Many of you that have seen a video or two of mine, you might think or get the feeling that I don't know what I'm talking about, because of how my words come out of my mouth. I learned in my mid 20's that I might have some sort of learning disorder (If I do, I don't know what it's called). This was when the internet was just starting to really get serious and people started using message boards. After reading a few posts from others mentioning me to other members and saying I was a nice person but a little weird talking to, I questioned to myself what that could mean. I never had problems learning anything in school, especially numbers and problem solving. My problem was when it came to explaining things to others. Because I would think in my head about 5 ways of explaining the same thing and choose what I thought was the easiest one that everyone would understand. So I was basically dumbing it down for everyone. But in the process of doing that, I was the one that looked dumb. Because of the amount of time processing a sentence before saying or typing it. This learning problem or disorder, also helps get me an extremely high IQ. But I talk as if it seems like I'm looking for the right word in my brain, which I kind of am, but a word or sentence that everyone will understand. If you made it this far, you might even be questioning what you've just read, and I'm ok with that. That's just how my brain was wired. But bottom line, I make sure I know what I'm talking about, before I talk about it. If I respond to a question of someone's, or give advice or even my opinion, just know that whatever I shared, is completely genuine, overly thought out, and depending on the topic, straight from the heart. Yeah, probably too much info TMI. This is the point where I usually delete 90 percent of what I typed, or just delete everything, because it's more simple to sometimes not get involved in a topic. So if you've ever said to yourself, I think Ron is a little off the rocker, the track, or even the planet, now you understand lol But I can't be that bad, since I seem to be everyone's go to person in the area, when they need to know something, or have something fixed, or problem solve an issue, regardless of what it is. House, car, boat, technical, wood, metal, money, medical, it doesn't really matter what it's about. My grandfather was the same way. He always said, it's better to know a little bit about everything, than to be an expert of one thing. But he would also weld a quarter to the top of a nail head, and then drill into a concrete sidewalk, hammer the quarter and nail into the sidewalk, and then just sit there all day watching people. Of course he would do this near by a park bench, so he could comfortablly watch from a short distance. Simple humor at the cost of a nail and 25 cents.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 05-26-2023, 11:42 AM
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie73 View Post
I'm glad someone finally said it. Thanks Patrick. And I'm not just picking on these guys, but a lot of people, video's and topic's. I watch more youtube than I create youtube video's. It seems, no matter the collectible type or topic, there's a bunch of untrue's or just bad information. When I was making video's on a topic, even though I knew what I wanted to say and what direction I wanted the video to go in, It still stayed genuine. But even if I felt that I already knew all the facts about a product, I would still do a quick study and make notes of the points I wanted to touch on, before hitting that record button. Many of you that have seen a video or two of mine, you might think or get the feeling that I don't know what I'm talking about, because of how my words come out of my mouth. I learned in my mid 20's that I might have some sort of learning disorder (If I do, I don't know what it's called). This was when the internet was just starting to really get serious and people started using message boards. After reading a few posts from others mentioning me to other members and saying I was a nice person but a little weird talking to, I questioned to myself what that could mean. I never had problems learning anything in school, especially numbers and problem solving. My problem was when it came to explaining things to others. Because I would think in my head about 5 ways of explaining the same thing and choose what I thought was the easiest one that everyone would understand. So I was basically dumbing it down for everyone. But in the process of doing that, I was the one that looked dumb. Because of the amount of time processing a sentence before saying or typing it. This learning problem or disorder, also helps get me an extremely high IQ. But I talk as if it seems like I'm looking for the right word in my brain, which I kind of am, but a word or sentence that everyone will understand. If you made it this far, you might even be questioning what you've just read, and I'm ok with that. That's just how my brain was wired. But bottom line, I make sure I know what I'm talking about, before I talk about it. If I respond to a question of someone's, or give advice or even my opinion, just know that whatever I shared, is completely genuine, overly thought out, and depending on the topic, straight from the heart. Yeah, probably too much info TMI. This is the point where I usually delete 90 percent of what I typed, or just delete everything, because it's more simple to sometimes not get involved in a topic. So if you've ever said to yourself, I think Ron is a little off the rocker, the track, or even the planet, now you understand lol But I can't be that bad, since I seem to be everyone's go to person in the area, when they need to know something, or have something fixed, or problem solve an issue, regardless of what it is. House, car, boat, technical, wood, metal, money, medical, it doesn't really matter what it's about. My grandfather was the same way. He always said, it's better to know a little bit about everything, than to be an expert of one thing. But he would also weld a quarter to the top of a nail head, and then drill into a concrete sidewalk, hammer the quarter and nail into the sidewalk, and then just sit there all day watching people. Of course he would do this near by a park bench, so he could comfortablly watch from a short distance. Simple humor at the cost of a nail and 25 cents.
I can relate, I also do research beforehand as well. Take notes. But whenever I speak, I tend to say umm and uhh a lot. I also take short pauses while I am speaking, because I try to think in my head the best way to say it. My wife always bust my chops about it. All in good fun though.
1926 Star Player Candy Chick Hafey
1880-1930s Detroit Tigers
Travis Jackson 1925 W461 Exhibits or 1923 V89 William Paterson
Old 05-26-2023, 12:26 PM
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneheadandrube View Post
I don't think anything is his bread and butter
I do watch Mikes channel and he is very knowledgeable with vintage; however, I think his bread and butter is Post WWII
1926 Star Player Candy Chick Hafey
1880-1930s Detroit Tigers
Travis Jackson 1925 W461 Exhibits or 1923 V89 William Paterson
Old 05-26-2023, 12:51 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Absolutely. Mike of Chasing Cardboard didn't seem to realize he had a nice T207 Joe Wood in his hand. All he said was, "Hey, this isn't a T206".
Old 05-26-2023, 01:00 PM
Glyn Parson

Quote:
Is there a YouTuber that does actually know anything about cards? I enjoy watching some of them but they all seem to be in the hobby 5-7 years max.

Last edited by glynparson; 05-26-2023 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-26-2023, 01:37 PM
Patrick N.

Default To be clear

To be clear, I'm not trying to attack this channel, I think they are good people. But a thumbnail that says "These are all fake!" and things like that should be corrected. I also think the seller of these cards could have been hurt by their attempt to be experts when clearly they are not on pre-war cards, as he could've just "thrown them in" the deal to the next person based on this bad /incomplete information.

I would also note that hobbyist's that have come in the last few years in many cases are too reliant on graded cards and have never actually physically handled many cards raw form, which is a travesty. They need someone to "authenticate" it for them (not necessarily these guys but I think the overreliance on TPG's have made collector's "lazy" in terms of doing their own research, etc.)

Note: This channel also used a very bad method to crack a 52 Mantle which could've destroyed the card, see previous episode.

Last edited by mintacular; 05-26-2023 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-27-2023, 04:00 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Detroit Collector View Post
I can relate, I also do research beforehand as well. Take notes. But whenever I speak, I tend to say umm and uhh a lot. I also take short pauses while I am speaking, because I try to think in my head the best way to say it. My wife always bust my chops about it. All in good fun though.
Happy to hear that I'm not alone. In the end, it's always in good fun. But one day my own mom said something to me about saying a certain word. I was like, you too? lol It was bad enough that a few youtuber's started a drinking game on my video's. My response was, I know none of you could drive after watching one of my video's.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 05-27-2023, 05:40 PM
Sean Fitze
Se.an Fi.tze

I too felt those tobacco cards were real. Glad I wasn't the only one and I am nowhere near of an expert on tobacco cards.
Old 05-28-2023, 12:04 AM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post

Note: This channel also used a very bad method to crack a 52 Mantle which could've destroyed the card, see previous episode.
They got brutalized in the comments for that. Rightly so. Clearly had no idea what he was doing.
Old 05-28-2023, 09:43 AM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
...This channel also used a very bad method to crack a 52 Mantle which could've destroyed the card, see previous episode.
I just watched the portion of that video which showed Ty cracking the '52 Mantle out of its slab. Here's my review:

Amateurish.

Irresponsible.

Reckless.

Borderline idiotic.

This could have ended very poorly for the owner of the card. Fortunately for them, Ty blindly stumbled into a heaping helping of sheer dumb luck. Yes, dumb luck. Very, very dumb.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 05-28-2023, 12:13 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
I just watched the portion of that video which showed Ty cracking the '52 Mantle out of its slab. Here's my review:

Amateurish.

Irresponsible.

Reckless.

Borderline idiotic.

This could have ended very poorly for the owner of the card. Fortunately for them, Ty blindly stumbled into a heaping helping of sheer dumb luck. Yes, dumb luck. Very, very dumb.
Takes 5 minutes to look for an instructional on how to do this. Takes a lifetime to build the ego that you know everything.

Sometimes it’s best to realize there’s always lots to learn and to listen. Some realize this younger than others, some in time, and some never do.

Full respect to those that admit mistakes and help the newbies, not impressive when you never do and build a library of mistakes for the unknowing to learn from.

If anyone wants to learn the mistakes I have made in this hobby, well set aside a leave of a couple weeks of absence from work and I will fill you in. However, you will also get the story of what it taught me.

Last edited by JustinD; 05-28-2023 at 12:19 PM.