NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-02-2008, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Default Was this an early mistake by PSA???

Posted By: Wayne

How could this possibly be a 6??? look at those corners, + staining on the reverse??? More and more, Im leaning toward the judgment of SGC for my t-206 collection. Thoughts?

Old 02-02-2008, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

Before the card graders started making up technical grade rules out of thin air, that card was an Ex+/ExMt card. So then you have to ask yourself who is right, the collectors who called a card like that EXMT for 40 years or the card graders like PSA and SGC who started assigning technical grades and say things like "Staining on the back can not get higher than a 4 etc etc." a few years back. I dont have a problem with that card being called a 6 and if you ask anyone who was around before grading what they thought that card was and you would get an EX+ (the now equivelant of ExMt) pretty consistantly.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Wayne, I've seen early PSA 7s that looked no better than that card.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:26 AM
Administrator

I appreciate the feedback! I'm still a novice in most respects to vintage collecting, ( only about 8 years now ) and I guess i'm unfamiliar with the old school opinion on grade of vintage cards. In some ways, it would be nice if they went back to those standards.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

While I agree with everything that Rhys and Jeff have said above, if we are going to judge apples to apples, I think that card is overgraded given the technical requirements now needed to get a 6. Though its solid enough for a 5 in my opinion.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

i would have no problem selling that card as EX/MT raw and sleeping well at night...so I don't think the grade is out of line at all. I've seen worse psa6s and sgc70s.

also for opinions on EXMT+ stuff i'd go with jeff's more than JK's ...josh's range is more sgc10s-20s that presents like EX+.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Red

There's no absolute standard that everybody has to accept. Each person has their own opinion and the average of all those opinions create the standard grade levels. If you apply old standards or new standards to the card above most people would call it EXMT. Most people would call it that when selling it, but buyers might be quick to point out those defects and call it only EX. If it didn't have any defects then it wouldn't be an EX or EXMT card.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

You'd be surprised Quan - while Im an expert at the low grade/high presentation collection, I actually have a few higher grade cards to at least pretend to know what Im talking about

Old 02-02-2008, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: marty

i see nothing wrong with that grade at all, a very clean card with great eye appeal.

here is the technical psa definition-EX-MT 6: Excellent-Mint.

A PSA EX-MT 6 card may have visible surface wear or a printing defect which does not detract from its overall appeal. A very light scratch may be detected only upon close inspection. Corners may have slightly graduated fraying. Picture focus may be slightly out-of-register. Card may show some loss of original gloss, may have minor wax stain on reverse, may exhibit very slight notching on edges and may also show some off-whiteness on borders. Centering must be 80/20 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the reverse

just my opinion like the rest.

Old 02-02-2008, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty

I was sending cards to PSA in 1992. The cert #'s started with 020. This is an early card. I think that Hall's cards begain with 0200001

Old 02-02-2008, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Your being awfully generous with that card!!! To me it looks like it has more than slightly frayed corners, and more than a touch of staining on the back. jmho

I do agree however as to the cleaness of the front, and fine presentation.

Wayne

Old 02-02-2008, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Wayne - the back scan is blown up - the staining is very small - how much staining should it have for it to be "a touch?"

Old 02-02-2008, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Like I said, just an humble opinion, nothing more. It just looks like to me to have a darker tone on the back than others...and splotchy in spots...thats all

Wayne

Old 02-02-2008, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: 1880nonsports

as both an older raw person (25% or so slabbed) and a NS guy - card and grade appears to actually be the grade they gave it. Now THAT surprises me! Buying it or selling it with that grade - raw or graded - seems perfectly sound and correct. A good portion of grading is subjective as are the reasons for buying something. The significant visual characteristics or parameters that cause one to buy or not buy a card are specific to the individual buyer. I think "grades" in general for raw or slabbed cards are just a descriptive element - if one can't actually SEE the card - to describe it's general state of preservation. My problem with grading is kinda like defining what is the "strike zone" in baseball. Hard to apply ONLY objective criteria to something with perceptual variances - one can only hope that there will be consistancy from that umpire. The only exception I see would be for the high end registry people - whose goal might be the "highest graded" syndrome. Not that there's anything wrong with that........

Old 02-02-2008, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

"Before the card graders started making up technical grade rules out of thin air" if that isn't the truth!

Old 02-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Marty, Matt, 1880nonsports, all of you...I appreciate the input. I by no means try and come off as an expert here. Like I said earlier, I still consider myself a newbie in the vintage arena. To me this is good a discussion. When I make my choices to by in the 5 or 6 range, I want to make a WISE choice (naturally).

Wayne

Old 02-02-2008, 12:49 PM
Administrator

wayne-to back up jk a little, the card would probably not look out of place in a 5.5 holder either, ex+, do you own the card? if so and you feel like you have to do the ethical "right thing" send it back and ask for a 5.5 holder, wether psa would do that i don't know?

Old 02-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

Pre1993 that was an EX-MT card, and should still be IMO

Old 02-02-2008, 01:04 PM
Administrator

that's funny. Not the suggestion that it might be seen as ex+ - but that it might be an issue of ethics. I'm no fish but I'm smelling bait......

Old 02-02-2008, 01:09 PM
Administrator

No..I do not own the card.

Old 02-02-2008, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: keyway

Sometimes you get good grades and sometimes not. I have gotten cards back graded 2 or 3 and can't believe they are not 4"s and 5"s. I have gotten cards back that I thought were overgraded. I guess its just that on any given day anything can happen. Graders are only human.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andrew S.

That card is no better than a 5 and probably has been substituted into the slab. And anyone that saw a PSA-7 that was comparable to this card was likely looking at a pried open slab also.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob Loeffler

No, this is an early PSA mistake:

Rob L

http://www.freewebs.com/loefflerrd/

Old 02-02-2008, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Nieves

Andrew S., you're an idiot.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:35 PM
Administrator

??????????

Old 02-03-2008, 04:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

I think it is a weak 6, but a 6 nonetheless. More appropriately a 5.5 perhaps.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Visit http://www.t206collector.com for my blog, interviews, articles, card galleries and more!

Old 02-03-2008, 04:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

"i would have no problem selling that card as EX/MT raw and sleeping well at night...so I don't think the grade is out of line at all. I've seen worse psa6s and sgc70s"...

i'm with quan, and many others here. not the best 6 ever, but i have no problem with this card in a 6 holder...

be well.

Old 02-03-2008, 05:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Another accurately graded card from the experts at PSA.

Old 02-03-2008, 06:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Back in the day I always called a gem mint card that ended up with 1 or 2 minor probs an ex/mnt card.

we had MINT, NEAR MINT, EX/MNT, EX, VG, G, P

A near mint card out of the pack could never become an ex/mnt card, once it received a flaw it became an ex card.

I am not sure who made up the standard, but i remember reading this back in the early to mid 70's.

Thus the name ......EX/MINT It was an excellant MINT card.

Steve

Old 02-03-2008, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

The scan is not the best, however I think I see 4 slightly rounded corners. IMO that card should be a 4 or a 5 at best.

It is the type of card that sellers will call a 6 and buyers a 4 or 5.

Steve

Old 02-03-2008, 10:11 AM
Administrator

steve is right, it was alot easier back in 1985 to grade cards, another that is absurd to me is not so much mint, but the grade after "pristine", you have to kidding was my thought when i first seen that one! that was another made up grade to be ahead of another grading co. i am still waiting for the out of the pack psa 11 or sgc 104 ultimate mint grade.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: lumberg

you will want to resubmit it under their new system. It may cost a little but won't it alleviate any skepticism. They will not downgrade it to a 5.5 since you were a loyal customer years back, right?

Old 02-03-2008, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter_Spaeth

Prolly should be (and would be now) a 5 but hardly a grave mistake.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brian

<you will want to resubmit it under their new system

Why would he want to waste money resubmitting a card that might have been switched? That one can't possibly get a bump to 6.5. Put a black background behind it and see if there is frosting around the edges of the plastic because that card looks PSA 5 (ST) to me.