NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-28-2008, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Default Attn eBay sellers

Posted By: Richard Dwyer

Thought I pass on this statement from http://bidderblacklist.com/

As you all know, in May 2008, eBay will take away a sellers right to leave negative or neutral comments – thus taking away our right to warn other sellers about scam artists, non paying bidders and unreasonable/ idiotic buyers.

The Online Bidder Blacklist was formed to protect sellers. The OBB is collecting eBay’s seller’s block bidder lists. We will compile everyone’s list – sort out any duplicates and unregistered users and send the update list back to you – the seller - FOR FREE. Just send the OBB your eBay blocked bidder list. We will add your names and then send the master blocked bidder list back to you for free – no strings attached. When you get other bad buyers you just send in their user ID and we will add them to the master list. We will also inform the buyer they have been added to the OBB – so they know they can not defraud other sellers.

http://bidderblacklist.com/

Old 02-28-2008, 09:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

I don't like that one bit. I had a seller block me because he ran a scam on me and I called him on it. Would this block me from anyone who subscribes to their service?

Old 02-28-2008, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff S.

Sounds like an opportunity to unjustly diminish some of your bidding competition, seeing as many sellers are also bidders.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ray

I agree with the problems the posters before me brought up.

OBB should put in an option that allows a member to make a master list of ONLY people who've been reported by a certain number of different sellers (i.e. - 3, 5, 10, 20, etc).

That way, legitimate buyers won't be completely hosed because of one or two bad dealings.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric B

This is awesome! I can get a bunch of seller friends who don't sell cards to include the ID's of all the bidders I am constantly losing to. Then when they try to snipe a card it will be blocked and I will win my stuff at pennies on the dollar.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

Good concept, but as I echo others, it could be a nightmare.
There are too many whimsical tools on eBay who have no common sense and who get ticked off for any reason (or no reason as well).

Old 02-28-2008, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Fudd

"As you all know, in May 2008, eBay will take away a sellers right to leave negative or neutral comments – thus taking away our right to warn other sellers about scam artists, non paying bidders and unreasonable/ idiotic buyers."........

-Thus taking away sellers right to leave "Retaliatory Negatives" which infuriate E-bay buyers. More buyers quit buying from this on E-bay than anything else is why they are changing. As a fast paying buyer, I welcome the change. Too many idiot sellers getting away with murder by witholding their feedback.

All in all, good sellers will reap the benifet. They may not keep their 100%feedback, but 97% will shine while 90% and below can hit the road. Now, you can hardly tell the good from the bad. Make your list, maybe it will help. It's worth a try to sort out the complete losers. Maybe E-bay is not helping you as much as they can, but this current system does not favor buyers at all.

You just can't get a true measure of a loser seller when people are afraid to report bad service, over stating of items and returns that are never satisfied for fear of retaliatory negative. NO MORE. Good luck with your fight. I admire you for trying to do something to protect yourself from a scam artists.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Prillaman

I'm not sure this is a good plan.

Ebay's intent was to make buyers able to leave feedback of their buying experience without the fear of retaliation. While many of us see scam artists on the buying side, the number of unresponsive or scam sellers is multiple times more rampant. Unresponsive sellers are the worse, you can look at any of the large sellers and see a level of customer service that is horrific. Many sellers take the attitude "go ahead and leave me a negative, you get one right back." Many sellers are unresponsive to damaged items, lost items, items that were never shipped -- etc. Ebay was simply seeking to make buyers feel more comfortable about leaving appropriate feedback.

However the idea of a national blocked bidder list will only exacerbate the problem. While currently many buyers are afraid to leave negative feedback because of the threat they will get one in return. Now the threat is "I'll add you a national block bidder list thereby reducing the number of people you can deal with on ebay." I'm not sure how this is a good thing.

Let's say you order a DVD and get the wrong item, you email, no response, you wait a week email again, no response. You leave feedback that says "seller shipped wrong item, fails to responds to email". Now instead of a retaliatory negative the seller adds your name to the "National Block Bidder list" and now when you try and purchase something you keep getting the "Seller has blocked your user account" message. How long before that person gets frustrated and leaves ebay for other venues?

Ebay should simply require persons to maintain multiple id's -- one for buying and one for selling -- that solves every problem and it could have been left the way it was. I know personally I have one selling account and two buying accounts -- I leave negatives when it is justified from my buying accounts and don't look back.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

"Ebay should simply require persons to maintain multiple id's -- one for buying and one for selling -- that solves every problem and it could have been left the way it was. I know personally I have one selling account and two buying accounts -- I leave negatives when it is justified from my buying accounts and don't look back."

That's the best idea I've ever heard on this subject.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony S.

I have noticed that everyone else bidding on Obaks recently are bad bidders. I'll send you their Ebay handles ASAP.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

Great!!!!

From Seller ID Jacklitsch

Please add Tbob, Wonkaticket, masontitans, teapartjr, thomascondo, stumpy, etc. etc. to the Block List.

What an f'n nightmare!!! I just blocked six reputable buyers just to keep out the competition. Shame!! I will now expect them to retaliate.

See the BIG problem with this idea?

Old 02-28-2008, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

I need to learn about this...

Seems that half of the T210 cards I find either have mason.titans or TBob already bid in... And if they haven't, they find the card soon after me and outbid me. So I can blacklist them and eliminate the competition... GREAT!!!

Actually, Tbob and Eric (mason.titans) are great guys. I like seeing them bid on something I've found. In my mind it validates my thoughts about a particular card, if they are bidding on it then it wasn't crazy for me to bid on it.

iF eBay dOes tHis tHey wIll sOon rEthink iT aNd cOme uP wIth a bEtter aLternative.

Frank.

Old 03-01-2008, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Zinn

What has become of this gosh awful idea?????

Old 03-01-2008, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ed Ivey

I've never sold on ebay, but this makes me feel bad for sellers. I've had only smooth buying transactions in my very limited experience.

Still, blacklists, even those that are well intentioned, can start reeking of Joe McCarthy pretty quickly. Just my opinion.

edited to add: Senator McCarthy, not the great Yanks manager.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: NickM

I had a seller on a fairly cheap modern card a couple years ago send me the wrong card (I have no idea what he sent the winner of its auction), ignore 4 emails about it, and then (I left a negative over a month after the auction ended) leave me a negative a month after I left a negative calling me a moron and saying I never emailed him. [He loves to throw gratuitous insults around in his retaliatory negative feedback.]

Never mind the fact that even if I hadn't emailed him, sending the wrong card when it was sold to someone else is something that should have prompted at least an initial email from the seller along the lines of "Hi. I sent you somebody else's card by mistake. I'm sending your card out with a SASE for the other one. Please return the wrong one to me."

So that sort of twit seller could go around blocking from other people's auctions everyone who leaves him a well-deserved negative.

Then there are the sellers who sell lots and lots of cheap stuff and ship most of it out. You've probably seen these sellers mentioned in different threads, even if you don't collect what they auction - they're the ones who lose power seller status because they drop below 98% feedback (actually, based on the way ebay calculates power seller feedback, it normally means dropping below 97%). Leave one of them a negative because he couldn't be bothered finding and shipping your $3 card and you could find yourself locked out of many sellers' auctions.

And then there are the scam artists who block everyone who sends them emails that call them out on the scams. I'm sure they would have a field day with this.

Let's not forget what would happen to the buyers who have publicly outed card doctors. It's really not that hard to figure out the buying IDs of people who post to things like "recent pickup" threads or who participate in graded card registries. This would give the card doctor the power to retaliate by seriously interfering with the buying IDs of people who would never bid on his altered junk.

Just say no to this really bad idea.