NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum

Old 01-27-2021, 05:03 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Default More star basketball ramblings

So it has been a while since I've posted about star basketball. My opinion is quite strong that these cards are the best current value in the hobby. The depressed prices relative to 1986 fleer is totally due to lack of understanding of the product and the current refusal of PSA and SGC to grade these issues. It is my personal belief that this will at some point change. Here are my reasons why:

1. There are some issues (the 5x7's) where no fakes/ repros exist.
2. Like other fakes, a trained eye can easily spot a star fake when in hand. I have had fakes in hand that looked good with pictures but in hand it was pretty obvious
3. The timeline for re-issues, subsequent HSN issues and type 2's are now well understood and known thanks to collectors and experts.
4. With the rising popularity of basketball cards and private equity entering into the picture, it is hard to imagine these cards being continued to ignored long term.

One example of the incredible disconnect between 1986 fleer and star is the Dominique Wilkins slam dunk card below. I picked this up as a BIN for 40 dollars with tax. The psa 9 fleer Wilkins is currently a 1300 dollar card. These star cards were usually limited to about 5000 sets, a much smaller run than fleer. I know 5x7's are not everyone's cup of tea, but these cards display beautifully and are condition sensitive even if sealed in the original bag. Another example is this Charles Barkley 1984 Court Kings, about 70 on a BIN, thought to be his, MJ's and Hakeem's first cards.

These are cards I intend to own long term. Long term basketball is a global growth market. It is a sport of individuals and icons. These are some of the most attractive cards produced in the 1980's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg niq.jpg (73.8 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg cahrles.jpg (72.1 KB, 209 views)

Last edited by Econteachert205; 01-27-2021 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:40 PM
Jason B.

Default Preach on!

I couldn't agree more with everything you've said, Dennis!

I found the joy of these cards a bit late, but luckily was able to make great progress through a long-time Dealer friend who had stocks from an original authorized Star distributor.
Also got some good encouragement from collecting friends (hi Peter), and off it went.

I think the Star cards are gorgeous and compelling to collect. In the case of these major stars in the history of Basketball (Jordan, Barkley, Isiah, Stockton, Olajuwon, etc., etc.), these predate their "rookie" issues by a good distance. Dominique was a great subject as well, and I also love the 5x7!

Full agreement on the future of Basketball as a global game, and with a POP of 900 on the Jordan #101 -- compared to the '86 Fleer at over 20k -- this is a no-brainer... Even before the insane run-up of Jordan prices recently.

I intend to keep adding a few here and there, and for me they are an absolute joy to collect.

StarJordans.jpg

StarCoStars.jpg

StarDominique.jpg
WTB: '33 Sport Kings Jim Thorpe/Babe Ruth/Babe Didrickson (PSA 4-5) | '52T Ed Mathews (PSA 4-5) | '47 VanPatrick Postcard of Bob Feller.
T-206 Monster: 520/520 (PSA 4-6)
Old 01-27-2021, 10:29 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

they're ok i guess...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-28-2021, 06:17 AM
Andrew Mc.Gann

Wow, Jason. Just wow. Very impressive collection!!!
Old 01-28-2021, 06:53 PM

Totally agree these have been way undervalued/overlooked...last year I was lucky enough to pick up these two Stars:

Old 01-28-2021, 07:01 PM
Robert J. Miller

Very nice cards!
Is there anything I need to look for on these to confirm they are real or reprints?
Thanks,
Bob
1985 Star 7 Jordan.jpg

1985 Star 7 Jordan Rev.jpg

1986 Star 117 Jordan.jpg

1986 Star 117 Jordan Rev.jpg
Old 01-28-2021, 07:04 PM
St@n Go.len

That 86 Star is an abomination

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2021, 08:05 PM
Peter Spaeth

If Nat Turner tells Joe Orlando to grade these, look out.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-29-2021, 05:42 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

I would say no on both of those but definitely no on the 86. The first thing I look for is the clarity of the image and color saturation.

Last edited by Econteachert205; 01-29-2021 at 05:45 AM.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:08 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econteachert205 View Post
I would say no on both of those but definitely no on the 86. The first thing I look for is the clarity of the image and color saturation.
The font on his name is way off.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-29-2021, 07:18 AM
Andrew Mc.Gann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Imagine how much skinnier the already trimmed ones would get then?
Old 01-29-2021, 12:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagrotn77 View Post
Imagine how much skinnier the already trimmed ones would get then?
There are some out there that are hard to improve upon

Old 01-29-2021, 02:05 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Yeah, hopefully some new direction at the top will kick them in the ass a bit when it comes to expanding the scope of what they grade. Hoping for all non-baseball Exhibit cards...

Or not...
Old 01-29-2021, 02:15 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Yeah, hopefully some new direction at the top will kick them in the ass a bit when it comes to expanding the scope of what they grade. Hoping for all non-baseball Exhibit cards...
Why do they grade some Exhibits and not others? I have heard it's because on some they can't date them, but they give wide ranges on some of the ones they do grade, so I don't get it.

Old 01-29-2021, 05:08 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Why do they grade some Exhibits and not others? I have heard it's because on some they can't date them, but they give wide ranges on some of the ones they do grade, so I don't get it.
At this point it is pure bureaucratic inertia. First the excuse was inability to detect counterfeits. Silly since it is the same card stock and printing as the baseball cards they already grade. Then it was lack of checklists. Well, I took care of that a while ago too. Now, it is "we don't do it" without a reason.

Or not...