NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-13-2014, 02:46 PM
Dave Grob

Default Stadium Ushers

Was all set to get this VIA FEDEX today, but 14 inches of snow had something to say about that. Just picked this up in the most recent Grey Flannel auction (yes, I know I just missed one on E-Bay in December for a fraction of the price). Be that as it may, I have been looking for one of these for some time. This is the fourth one I have any record of. When they have been offered they have been described as being from the 1950s; not an inaccurate statement but if you watch and study World Series footage and other references you will find that this style of Yankee usher’s jacket can be found as early as 1947 and was not worn in the 1957 or 1958 World Series. The “Top Hat & Bat” logo that appears on the chest made its debut in 1946, so 1946 would have to be earliest, but images I have seen from 1946 suggests the ushers jackets were a double breasted version with a much smaller patch on the left breast.

I have also been fascinated with this style jacket, partially because they are so gorgeous as well as the design being so closely connected to General Eisenhower and his famous “Ike Jacket”. I love the fact that the dating of c1947-1956 just happens to coincide with one of the greatest runs of any professional sports team (truth in lending; I am not a Yankee fan) and all the things that transpired in Yankee Stadium during this period. Still on the Hunt for similar items from Crosely Field and if you have anything, would love to hear from you.

Dave Grob
DaveGrob1@aol.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IKE1.jpg (70.4 KB, 294 views)
Old 02-13-2014, 04:34 PM
Jack T

That's a beauty Dave! What great style.
Congratulations on finding and getting something you've been after for a while.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:19 PM
$teve O.

I have never seen one of those before.Great pick up Dave!
Old 02-13-2014, 05:30 PM
Clint

Very cool Dave. Great pickup!
Old 02-13-2014, 05:48 PM
Jack T

Default No Style in the 70's

I have one from the 1970's (at least that's what I was told). Although the "Yankees" script is nice looking, the jacket itself has no real style. Your's puts it to shame, so I hope you don't mind me sharing it here.

Yankees_Usher_sm photo Yankee_Usher_Jacket_1_sm_zpsf138541b.jpg

It's not the best picture, but the only one I have on my computer now.

Searching Google images, I found one just like this from a Legendary auction in 2002. But their write-up says it's from the 1940's. I don't know.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:30 PM
Dave Grob

Default Usher's Jacket

Jack,

Lovely artifact and thanks so much for sharing.

Dave Grob
DaveGrob1@aol.com
Old 02-14-2014, 08:10 PM
Dave Grob

Default Shirt and Tie Required

Just arrived today. Yes, a cell phone quality photo, but a shirt tie do wonders for this one. Funny that I thought about the WW II era Ike Jacket with respect to this one, and low and behold, one of the cuff buttons on this has been replaced with of all things... a period small button from an Army jacket (size makes it cuff or epaulet button).

Dave Grob
DaveGrob1@aol.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yankee stadium ushers jacket.jpg (67.3 KB, 173 views)
Old 02-15-2014, 04:32 AM

Dave,
That jacket looks terrific!!! Congrats on your pickup.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:17 AM
Alex

Very nice piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:12 PM
Dave Grob

Default The Usher

Thanks...

Funny how when you're a kid, the usher is the enemy. Now I look at this jacket as if it were an old friend. I can remember one year, must have been 1974 or 1975, but a buddy and I had hatched what we thought was the fool proof plan to sneak down from the red seats (uppermost level) to the blue seats (field boxes) at Riverfront. We would bring one of our dad's larger jackets with us. Once inside the stadium we would begin our way down the ramp. If it looked like we were going to get questioned, we would pick up the pace and yell "hey dad, wait up."

Once we got to our ill gotten seats, we would put the jacket in the seat between us, as if dad had gone to the john or to get a bear...you know, dad things. If questioned we would say that "dad" had the tickets. The plan was going better than the first 24 hours of the ground war in Desert Storm, when the usher came by to where we where sitting. He asked for our tickets...and with out a pause both my friend and I blurted out, pointing to each other... "his dad has them". The usher then came back with "whose dad" (he wasn't falling for the jacket on the empty seat). Without skipping a beat we both blurted out "my dad." We watched the rest of the game from the red seats.

Needless to say I am enjoying this usher more than I did the one that fate full day.

Dave Grob
DaveGrob1@aol.com
Old 02-17-2014, 02:18 PM
chris

Great story Dave!