NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 05-09-2021, 12:36 PM

Default When the heck is Barry Bonds doing a signing?

He is the last guy I need to complete my 500 hr ball.
Any leads would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks all
Joe
Jcocozzellamd@hotmail.com
Old 05-09-2021, 12:45 PM

When "I'm Barry Bonds and you're not" feels like it. LOL

Last edited by Scott Garner; 05-09-2021 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-09-2021, 12:48 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Never, I tried even emailing through his site and NADA

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 05-09-2021, 01:01 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Bonds inherited his attitudes towards fans and signing autographs from his godfather.
Old 05-09-2021, 01:06 PM

Yeesh!! Thanks for the quick response guys.
Old 05-09-2021, 10:07 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Barry's actually been in the news lately as the former Marlins President David Samson has dished on his tenure with the club.

A couple of quotes from the article:
  • "He was ineffective, completely. He would sleep in the clubhouse. He would not pay attention during games. He did not work hard. It was a complete disaster."
  • “It was the worst interview I’ve ever been a part of,” said Samson. “Bonds was an absolute pain in the ass about pay because he knew he had the job.”
  • "It was all about Barry. We had to do so many special things for him in terms of how we traveled, the hotel and the suite and the food, the money. It was just an absolute nightmare,”

I'm guessing we won't see Barry sitting behind a table greeting fans any time soon.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 05-10-2021, 06:52 AM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

When he was with Marlins, they had a mandatory signing session at Spring Training. Ticket prices (free to season ticket holders) were insane and he was actually giving his nice autograph on whatever piece you brought. That is the last public signing that I know of. I know he did (at least) one public appearance with GTSM after he retired.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:01 AM

I've long since reconciled myself to high ticket prices. I remember paying 30 dollars to see Mickey Mantle in 1990 at Sturbridge Massachusetts. Ticket prices were $30, and that was a huge deal! Yeesh, that makes me sound old....
Old 05-10-2021, 10:00 AM

I've long since reconciled myself to high ticket prices. I remember paying 30 dollars to see Mickey Mantle in 1990 at Sturbridge Massachusetts. Ticket prices were $30, and that was a huge deal! Yeesh, that makes me sound old....
Old 05-10-2021, 01:10 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joecoco View Post
Well, $30 was a big deal when everyone else was 12-15. I remember it wasn't long after that Mantle went to $40. Still, glad to pay it to get him on the things I needed...wish I would have got more.
1955 Dodger Autographs...40/43
1934 Gas House Gang Autographs...Complete
1969 Cubs Autographs...Black Cat ticket plus 30/50
1960 Pirates autographs...Complete
1961 Yankees autographs...Complete
1971-1975 A's Playoff/WS roster autos...Complete
Old 05-18-2021, 06:51 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
"It was all about Barry. We had to do so many special things for him in terms of how we traveled, the hotel and the suite and the food, the money. It was just an absolute nightmare,”
From the linked story : "During his interview, Samson recalled that Bonds was combative and refused to accept less than $1.5 million—well above the typical salary for MLB hitting coaches."

So they hired a guy who had no experience as a hitting coach to be their hitting coach, paid that guy will above what would be considered "typical", and it didn't work out very well? Bummer.

There is an easy way to pay somebody the typical salary for their position, hire somebody typical, the Marlins obviously wanted Bonds badly enough to agree to his terms, complaining about it later is just sour grapes in my book.

I have a feeling that the business managements for some of the bands I have worked for would describe my interviews with them in a similar fashion. I once interviewed for a position with a band that might have a stadium tour this summer, during the interview I got into three separate arguments with one of the band managers. Combative goes both ways. They didn't offer me the gig, and I would have upped my salary demands if they had.

Doug "pitch to Barry" Goodman
Old 05-19-2021, 08:15 AM
+0m J()rd@N

In the article, it also states that:
"Samson explained on Thursday that he didn't want to hire Bonds, saying he was “not worth the squeeze.” But, he was overruled by former owner Jeffrey Loria."

So the president of the club was overruled by the owner. Doesn't sound like sour grapes to me, more like 'We saw it coming but the orders were to march on.' We all have a boss.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)

Last edited by Bigdaddy; 05-19-2021 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:22 AM
James M.

It's a shame, I have some items I would love to get signed by Barry, I hope he does a signing soon.

He very well could be one of those guys that mellows out when they get older, and decides to be more generous with the fans. I've read of plenty of bad experiences people had with players like Mickey Mantle, when they were active, and then Mantle turned around and became a pretty prolific signer. Hopefully Bonds will do the same.

I think it would do well to help at least recover his image a little bit, if he started signing things. Regardless of what sort of assistance with PED's he had on the field, watching him play was a sight to see, and something we certainly won't see again.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 06-01-2021, 09:40 AM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
Barry's actually been in the news lately as the former Marlins President David Samson has dished on his tenure with the club.

A couple of quotes from the article:
  • "He was ineffective, completely. He would sleep in the clubhouse. He would not pay attention during games. He did not work hard. It was a complete disaster."
  • “It was the worst interview I’ve ever been a part of,” said Samson. “Bonds was an absolute pain in the ass about pay because he knew he had the job.”
  • "It was all about Barry. We had to do so many special things for him in terms of how we traveled, the hotel and the suite and the food, the money. It was just an absolute nightmare,”

I'm guessing we won't see Barry sitting behind a table greeting fans any time soon.
Yelich tells a different story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgj66qwaw9w
Old 09-12-2022, 01:51 PM

Sorry guys but I have to re-new this thread to ask "When is Barry doing a signing?!" It has been long enough already.
Thanks!
Old 09-12-2022, 02:02 PM

The simple answer to that is likely: when he can get what HE thinks are Barry Bonds prices, not asterisk prices.

If there were no scandals with the group of players in question, most signing fees would have an extra zero tagged on to the ends of them.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 09-12-2022 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-15-2022, 05:53 PM
d.ean

All you need to know about Bonds.

"Sure, he was enigmatic and problematic, that has always been embedded in his personality. He couldn’t connect with teammates. He could barely tolerate the media. And he just couldn’t get his arms around the fans’ expectations. For Bonds, baseball itself was supposed to be the only thing that mattered. Everything else — everything else — annoyed him to no end.

“Why can’t people just enjoy the show?” he asked. “And then let the entertainer go home and get his rest, so he can put on another show? But in baseball, you get to see us, touch us, trade our cards, buy and sell our jerseys. To me, that dilutes the excitement.

“Autograph seekers! When I go to a movie, after the final credits roll, I get up and leave. It’s the end. But I’m supposed to stand out there for three hours and then sign autographs? Fans pay $10 to see ‘Batman,’ they don’t expect to get Jack Nicholson’s autograph.”

The article: https://theathletic.com/1730039/2020...3-barry-bonds/

Back in the 90's, the story was that Bonds did not like the way the media or MLB treated his dad.

Back in the 90's Bonds was scheduled to sign at a Tuff-Stuff show in Richmond. If memory serves he was signing with his dad. EVERYONE signed on the sweet spot of the ball, but Bonds. In the advertising for the show, it specifically stated "no sweet spot" for Bonds.

I will never add Bonds to my collection and I am okay with it.

I would not say that Willie Mays was a prolific signer. From time to time he would be advertised to sign at shows in Secaucus, NJ. I never had a problem with Mays. His eyesight was pretty poor, so you had to be on your game about which pen he had in his hand and the placement of your item. He had the tendency to flip items upside down. Over the years I managed to get Mays 4-5 times. He was not a talker but overall pleasant.
Old 09-15-2022, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
I would not say that Willie Mays was a prolific signer.
If he signed another 100,000 pieces, would your opinion change?

There's an absolute ton of Mays autographs in this world. The problem only arises when it's a certain piece you're after. If you want a ball, a photo, a bat, a, plaque PC, an awful 1980's baseball card as opposed to a particular card, a lithograph, a commemorative plate.... If you want something that isn't blandly pedestrian that was cranked out by the thousands, then yes, Mays can present a challenge.

Fleece Mop is kind of disgusting. I'm more partial to William. (Which makes absolutely no sense, as his birth name was Willie! But this is indeed him back in '51.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s563 - Copy.jpg (98.8 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 09-15-2022 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-15-2022, 06:16 PM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCox3 View Post
If he signed another 100,000 pieces, would your opinion change?

There's an absolute ton of Mays autographs in this world. The problem only arises when it's a certain piece you're after. If you want a ball, a photo, a bat, a, plaque PC, an awful 1980's baseball card as opposed to a particular card, a lithograph, a commemorative plate.... If you want something that isn't blandly pedestrian that was cranked out by the thousands, then yes, Mays can present a challenge.
I should have been more succinct. Mays was not a regular like a Feller or Palmer on the autograph circuit.